• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
as much as I'd like for Geno to be next I don't think that will be there move. I think it's probably gonna be there 3rd party pick if they have any new ones.
and if that one leaker that actually does have results is correct then it's probably gonna be Simon Belmont next.
I'm betting on K. Rool next, honestly. He just seems like a "next big newcomer that isn't 3rd party" reveal. And like MattX20 MattX20 said, Simon would need a direct, while K. Rool probably wouldn't. I think we likely won't see a direct to August/September, so King K would fill that void.

As for Geno...I stick by my post-game announcement unlockable/one of the last to be announced prediction. Of course, it would suck to wait that long, so I'd be happy for Sakurai to prove me wrong.

You reading this, Sakurai? Prove me wrong. Please, lol.

Just thought I'd share these. My late grandma made me these plushes(along with a lot of other SMRPG cast members) back in 2009. These are priceless to me to say the least.View attachment 152120
That's so amazing! She was clearly a very talented seamstress, not to mention a wonderful grandma. I'd love to see the others. It'd be so cool if there was a Booster one.:grin:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I'm betting on K. Rool next, honestly. He just seems like a "next big newcomer that isn't 3rd party" reveal. And like MattX20 MattX20 said, Simon would need a direct, while K. Rool probably wouldn't. I think we likely won't see a direct to August/September, so King K would fill that void.

As for Geno...I stick by my post-game announcement unlockable/one of the last to be announced prediction. Of course, it would suck to wait that long, so I'd be happy for Sakurai to prove me wrong.

That's so amazing! She was clearly a very talented seamstress, not to mention a wonderful grandma. I'd love to see the others. It'd be so cool if there was a Booster one.:grin:
Thanks! Yeah she was a very talented artist! I'm blessed she was able to make these for me. I can put the other ones up to if you'd like to see them.

Thanks! She was both of those no doubt! I'm so blessed to have these. Here's Smithy, she actually attached chains for his arms!
IMG_0856.JPG

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
If Simon were true, they'd save him for a Nintendo Direct. All the major 3rd party characters are given the Nintendo Direct treatment. Geno though, despite being owned by a third party, is more a Marioverse character and would likely be done outside a Direct.
Oh right directs! okay yeah good point. we are probably a ways out from a direct so next one probably won't be their next big third party.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Thanks! Yeah she was a very talented artist! I'm blessed she was able to make these for me. I can put the other ones up to if you'd like to see them.

Thanks! She was both of those no doubt! I'm so blessed to have these. Here's Smithy, she actually attached chains for his arms!View attachment 152134
Dude!! That is legitimately incredible! The attention to detail really tells me she enjoyed the project. That is just so cool. I just can't get over how awesome it is...

She must have been an amazing person. You definitely are blessed!:)

Edit: forgot to say, I'd love to see the whole set! If it's not too much trouble, of course.

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Dude!! That is legitimately incredible! The attention to detail really tells me she enjoyed the project. That is just so cool. I just can't get over how awesome it is...

She must have been an amazing person. You definitely are blessed!:)
Thanks! She was. And I am. I've got some more I'd like to put up. Maybe tomorrow

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
OK, been a long time fan of Geno, played SMRPG on nearly a yearly basis and have loved the idea of Geno in smash bros ever since the brawl "leaks" I had a few ideas lumbering around for him as a character, and i hope i'm not out of place with my fan ideas (been keeping up with these posts since page 1 but haven't posted yet)

Moveset ideas:

Normals (using establish characters as a base):

jab combo: essentially fox's (smash4) w/out the rapid jab
ftilt: similar to mario's
Fsmash: akin to mii gunner, using armcannon
dtilt: similar to mario's
dsmash: similar to lucario's, but shooting double fists
utilt: similar to falcon's, obviously less range
usmash: similar to megaman's but with the star cannon
nair: spinning attack (like ivysaur's?) using fists
fair: similar to villager's, using 5-finger gun
bair: similar to samus's
dair: similar to megaman's, shooting either one or two fists
uair: mii gunner, using star cannon

Specials:
neutral b: Geno beam. Can be charged and stored (3 levels), shot like rob's, though can be overcharged, if done will auto fire at level 2
side b: Geno whirl. flies at the speed of link's fully charged arrows (size of Ylink's boomerang), continues through opponents with limited range. deals massive damage (like 20%) at the very beginning and end of the attack (also deals massive shield damage at those points), but will do a little less than mario's fireball anywhere else. appropriate knockback
down b: Geno flash. similar to pika's, but has three blasts on either side of geno (leaves a gap directly over him, with 2 on the front of geno with 1 on the back. knock-back hits opponent between blasts ending w/ opponent behind geno), is faster than pika's but does less damage and knockback to compensate.
up b: Geno boost. it was actually hard to think of this one, but essentially geno gets launched upward mostly, like pit's, though Geno gets a small boost to either his next attack or next hit against him.

Final smash: Geno blast. since these normally never appear anyway, I thought it would be better to have this move here than geno flash. Geno hops into the background turning into a cannon and a reticle appears on screen. he fires and a massive explosion appears.

Stage: Monstrotown

flat stage (like wily castle) with two platforms, one in the center and another above it to the left third. there are doors on the topmost platform, the ground beneath it, the right side (same level) and underneath the stage center (but one can just jump back up the the main level). entering any door makes you pop out of the other one (a la mushroomy kingdom's pipes in smash 64) and if you pop out the one under the main platform Culex appears as a boss with each crystal doing different attacks for about 1 min 30 seconds before disappearing* (*he is killable). when he appears, the stage transforms (aesthetically not physically, but the doors disappear) to the same starry background as when you fight him, and the music changes to his boss theme. If he is not defeated, he just fades away and the stage goes back to normal, if he his defeated, then the door under the main platform disappears for 2 minutes. Hazardless version is the same aesthetically but the doors don't do anything with the lower one gone permanently (in 1v1 the stage would transform to the starry background and the music would change if both players dropped to 1 stock each).

TL;DR
sorry for the long post. I just love this character and have had this headcannon for a long time...

MattX20

Smash Hero

I don't think Sakurai would keep Geno fans waiting until the game releases. Fans have waited 22 years for him to return, and revealing him before too long would help keep the hype alive.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think Sakurai would keep Geno fans waiting until the game releases. Fans have waited 22 years for him to return, and revealing him before too long would help keep the hype alive.
Frankly, I expect all of the characters to be revealed before the release.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
I know we all take 4chan leaks with a percent of a grain of salt, but this one has promised models of Geno, mallow and Funky Kong tomorrow or Tuesday. Just thought y'all would find it interesting and maybe keep an eye on it since it'll be debunked or confirmed pretty quickly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know we all take 4chan leaks with a percent of a grain of salt, but this one has promised models of Geno, mallow and Funky Kong tomorrow or Tuesday. Just thought y'all would find it interesting and maybe keep an eye on it since it'll be debunked or confirmed pretty quickly.
They could also actually present the models but be a 3D artist with a good fake

Hex's/ Omni's Rayman

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
They could also actually present the models but be a 3D artist with a good fake

Hex's/ Omni's Rayman
It's a slight win-win in that situation; either we get Geno confirmation or we get a new Geno render.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Honestly, I hate to say it but I do think it's possible Geno could be DLC. I have to wonder how much stock Sakurai puts into "character importance" when selecting who makes the base roster and whether or not he thinks Geno detractors have any valid points in that regard. We frankly have no evidence that he thinks about such things (and actually have evidence to the contrary given his statements on wanting Geno's inclusion) but it is still a bit worrisome.

I could see DLC being a sort of compromise with those types of people. Either you'll love the character and want to buy him or if you're a dirty purist that prefers "muh relevance" you could choose to abstain.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Frankly, I expect all of the characters to be revealed before the release.
I honestly hope you guys are right! I'm just airing on the side of caution. If we're lucky, Geno will be next. I've never hoped my gut feeling was so wrong, lol.

Interesting claims...and not too long a wait. I do find it funny that a non-native English speaker would take the time to leak to another country, when it would be so much easier to stick with your own language and get the same exposure. It seems to be a bit of artificial leak flavoring, if you will.

"New! Artificial Leak Flavor! Tastes just like the real thing!" (Made from recycled Vergeben Leaks.)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, did you read the comments? The 4chan people are berating the guy

Apparently he's been posting that same thing all day

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
OK, been a long time fan of Geno, played SMRPG on nearly a yearly basis and have loved the idea of Geno in smash bros ever since the brawl "leaks" I had a few ideas lumbering around for him as a character, and i hope i'm not out of place with my fan ideas (been keeping up with these posts since page 1 but haven't posted yet)

Moveset ideas:

Normals (using establish characters as a base):

jab combo: essentially fox's (smash4) w/out the rapid jab
ftilt: similar to mario's
Fsmash: akin to mii gunner, using armcannon
dtilt: similar to mario's
dsmash: similar to lucario's, but shooting double fists
utilt: similar to falcon's, obviously less range
usmash: similar to megaman's but with the star cannon
nair: spinning attack (like ivysaur's?) using fists
fair: similar to villager's, using 5-finger gun
bair: similar to samus's
dair: similar to megaman's, shooting either one or two fists
uair: mii gunner, using star cannon

Specials:
neutral b: Geno beam. Can be charged and stored (3 levels), shot like rob's, though can be overcharged, if done will auto fire at level 2
side b: Geno whirl. flies at the speed of link's fully charged arrows (size of Ylink's boomerang), continues through opponents with limited range. deals massive damage (like 20%) at the very beginning and end of the attack (also deals massive shield damage at those points), but will do a little less than mario's fireball anywhere else. appropriate knockback
down b: Geno flash. similar to pika's, but has three blasts on either side of geno (leaves a gap directly over him, with 2 on the front of geno with 1 on the back. knock-back hits opponent between blasts ending w/ opponent behind geno), is faster than pika's but does less damage and knockback to compensate.
up b: Geno boost. it was actually hard to think of this one, but essentially geno gets launched upward mostly, like pit's, though Geno gets a small boost to either his next attack or next hit against him.

Final smash: Geno blast. since these normally never appear anyway, I thought it would be better to have this move here than geno flash. Geno hops into the background turning into a cannon and a reticle appears on screen. he fires and a massive explosion appears.

Stage: Monstrotown

flat stage (like wily castle) with two platforms, one in the center and another above it to the left third. there are doors on the topmost platform, the ground beneath it, the right side (same level) and underneath the stage center (but one can just jump back up the the main level). entering any door makes you pop out of the other one (a la mushroomy kingdom's pipes in smash 64) and if you pop out the one under the main platform Culex appears as a boss with each crystal doing different attacks for about 1 min 30 seconds before disappearing* (*he is killable). when he appears, the stage transforms (aesthetically not physically, but the doors disappear) to the same starry background as when you fight him, and the music changes to his boss theme. If he is not defeated, he just fades away and the stage goes back to normal, if he his defeated, then the door under the main platform disappears for 2 minutes. Hazardless version is the same aesthetically but the doors don't do anything with the lower one gone permanently (in 1v1 the stage would transform to the starry background and the music would change if both players dropped to 1 stock each).

TL;DR
sorry for the long post. I just love this character and have had this headcannon for a long time...

You know, I've always thought that Geno Whirl was essentially just the MarioRPG version of typical JRPG 'Instant Death' spells.

It displays as 9999 damage, but that literally just insta-kills anything in the game, and all bosses are immune to it. Sounds like Instant Death spells to me.

As such, we've seen what Instant Death spells translate to in Smash: Cloud's Finishing Touch. Incredibly high knockback/scaling, but basically no percent damage. I feel like Geno Whirl should work the same way. (It attempts to kill, but if it fails, it means the target is basically immune to DEATH.)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, I've always thought that Geno Whirl was essentially just the MarioRPG version of typical JRPG 'Instant Death' spells.

It displays as 9999 damage, but that literally just insta-kills anything in the game, and all bosses are immune to it. Sounds like Instant Death spells to me.

As such, we've seen what Instant Death spells translate to in Smash: Cloud's Finishing Touch. Incredibly high knockback/scaling, but basically no percent damage. I feel like Geno Whirl should work the same way. (It attempts to kill, but if it fails, it means the target is basically immune to DEATH.)
It dealing 9999 damage is a secret though. None of the other spells in the game have timed hit damage like that

Interestingly, the original intent of Geno whirl was different "The Geno Whirl Special Attack works particularly well against undead enemies." which is not present in the final game

The Jim Jims

Smash Cadet
I feel like Geno is going to be in the game based solely on the fact that Sakurai is concerning himself with what the fans want. Geno was voted very highly on the polls taken throughout Smash 4's lifespan and he was always ranked very high. Sakurai is reaching ridiculously hard for this game. Snake is back, Ridley isn't a boss, the game looks like it strikes an intended balanced between competitive play and casual play, amongst other things. It sounds a little redundant and silly of me to say, but since it is the ultimate Smash I think that this is the time to get one of the all-time most heavily requested characters.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I’ve been supporting Geno hardcore since Brawl was first announced.
But I never thought it was actually possible, until this time.
I still don’t think it’s that likely, but I think it’s possible for two reasons:

1) Like you said Jim Jim’s, Sakurai seems to be taking a more fan pleasing attitude this time instead of trying to be creative and surprise us.

2) They’re simply running out of characters to add. There’s not that many characters that obviously deserve entry and fit into smash. He has to start making some weird picks now. Why not make it one of the most demanded ones?

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know with the news of Bayonetta being picked 2 weeks into the ballot I think It is pretty clear that this time they are going off fan favorites when it comes to new characters (and also of note the japanese version of the ballot site said they also planned to use it for future smash games)

I was looking into the timing of things because I couldn't remember how long the ballot was open. and found that it was open for approximately 6 months? (I could be way off. had a hard time finding the info. if anyone can do a more concrete check on this that would be great)

point is if they were only gonna use the ballot for DLC only why not close it after they picked Bayo?
So while we don't know the ballot results. there was lots of polls various groups did to try and ask people who they voted for.
I'm kinda curious who were the front runners on those. I feel like I remember Inkling, Ridley, and Daisy all being characters that polled high.

might give insight oh who we can expect. because I'm pretty sure this time the theme for character picks is big name fan requests.

2) They’re simply running out of characters to add. There’s not that many characters that obviously deserve entry and fit into smash. He has to start making some weird picks now. Why not make it one of the most demanded ones?
That's what I've been saying! we are straight running out of obvious character picks! even some of the few that seem obvious like Rex/Pyra and ARMS may have actually been to recent of games to be able to use them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's what I've been saying! we are straight running out of obvious character picks! even some of the few that seem obvious like Rex/Pyra and ARMS may have actually been to recent of games to be able to use them.
That's what I've been thinking, as well. Eventually they'll have no other choice but to get around to including noteworthy secondary characters that somehow didn't get much attention (especially for series hurting for more representatives).

KanataLen

Smash Apprentice
It dealing 9999 damage is a secret though. None of the other spells in the game have timed hit damage like that

Interestingly, the original intent of Geno whirl was different "The Geno Whirl Special Attack works particularly well against undead enemies." which is not present in the final game
yeah I was trying to find some way to incorporate the secret of the attack without it being something people would want to spam. Finishing touch works well because it is the move that replaces limit charge and can only be used with full limit. I wanted to also stay away from adding timed hits into the move since that would over-complicate things, so i thought of the idea of sweet-spotting would be a good compromise. Perhaps the difference between the sweet and sour spots could be even greater.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Honestly, I hate to say it but I do think it's possible Geno could be DLC. I have to wonder how much stock Sakurai puts into "character importance" when selecting who makes the base roster and whether or not he thinks Geno detractors have any valid points in that regard. We frankly have no evidence that he thinks about such things (and actually have evidence to the contrary given his statements on wanting Geno's inclusion) but it is still a bit worrisome.

I could see DLC being a sort of compromise with those types of people. Either you'll love the character and want to buy him or if you're a dirty purist that prefers "muh relevance" you could choose to abstain.
This is always such a misguided claim. If smash 4 has taught us anything, it’s that Geno has a much better chance to be base game than DLC. Look at smash 4’s DLC characters. They were all returning veterans or wildly popular 3rd parties with the only exception being Corrin who was added to shill Fates at the time. They seem to be using DLC solely as their cash grab for advertising games or for 3rd parties. Characters like Geno’s chances are infinitely higher in the base game. He’s mega popular within the hardcore fanbases, but he doesn’t have the mass appeal that they look for in a DLC addition.

Base game or bust for him basically. But I feel really good about his chances for the base game

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I'm convinced the mii costume was his way of saying "hang on"

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
This is always such a misguided claim. If smash 4 has taught us anything, it’s that Geno has a much better chance to be base game than DLC. Look at smash 4’s DLC characters. They were all returning veterans or wildly popular 3rd parties with the only exception being Corrin who was added to shill Fates at the time. They seem to be using DLC solely as their cash grab for advertising games or for 3rd parties. Characters like Geno’s chances are infinitely higher in the base game. He’s mega popular within the hardcore fanbases, but he doesn’t have the mass appeal that they look for in a DLC addition.

Base game or bust for him basically. But I feel really good about his chances for the base game
I wouldn't necessarily say that. That was also different circumstances where they were trying to maximize sales on a dying system that really underperformed. I don't think Geno's chances drop to 0% if he isn't in the base roster, especially since DLC this time would be on the Switch, and we really don't know who Sakurai would pick for DLC this time around. I imagine it would still comprise of marketing newer games like Xenoblade 2 or ARMS for example, but I don't think we really know enough at the moment to know how all of the DLC characters are going to be decided.

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
LOL, did you read the comments? The 4chan people are berating the guy

Apparently he's been posting that same thing all day
I only saw one person, and they were talking about everyone who's posting Smash Ultimate "leaks" and how common they are on /v/ now. Either way, we'll find out about it's validity either today or tomorrow.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I wouldn't necessarily say that. That was also different circumstances where they were trying to maximize sales on a dying system that really underperformed. I don't think Geno's chances drop to 0% if he isn't in the base roster, especially since DLC this time would be on the Switch, and we really don't know who Sakurai would pick for DLC this time around. I imagine it would still comprise of marketing newer games like Xenoblade 2 or ARMS for example, but I don't think we really know enough at the moment to know how all of the DLC characters are going to be decided.
You missed the entire point of my post which was that he has a MUCH better chance at making the base game than being DLC. For some reason you decided to reply to the last few words of my post saying base game or bust.

There are people saying they think he has a better shot at being DLC and that is not the case. If he isn’t in the base game then his chances are slim to none. Why would sakurai talk frequently about Geno and then once again not have him in the base game? If this is the case, he’s probably not happening. No, the chances aren’t 0, but they become microscopically small

TBone06

Smash Ace
Apparently there is some Smash stuff happening on the 16th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CT-DmdaLH_Q
Does anyone know exactly what this is though? I translated the title and it came up with this : “Aim for 3 consecutive wins! Winning Challenge In Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Tokyo Venue”

I don’t read Japanese, nor would I know if this is correctly translated, but I really have no idea what this is.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Does anyone know exactly what this is though? I translated the title and it came up with this : “Aim for 3 consecutive wins! Winning Challenge In Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Tokyo Venue”

I don’t read Japanese, nor would I know if this is correctly translated, but I really have no idea what this is.
A few people have said it's some kind of tournament, so yeah, that translation sounds about right. So it may be nothing...but honestly, anything from an official Nintendo channel regarding smash is not not be overlooked.

Especially when it falls precisely one month after the last bit of news...

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, it is some sort of tournament. If we are going to get anyone announced during that event, I would assume it would be a Japanese favorite. Would make more sense since it is happening over there.

On another note, I was watching some clips that were saved during my SMRPG playthrough. Here is one of the last lines Geno says during the game. I don't believe he says much else after the game ends. Anyway, you can tell that Geno knows he will be leaving after the fight. Hopefully he will make a comeback now!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A few people have said it's some kind of tournament, so yeah, that translation sounds about right. So it may be nothing...but honestly, anything from an official Nintendo channel regarding smash is not not be overlooked.

Especially when it falls precisely one month after the last bit of news...
The way I see it, they are gonna have their tourney, leave the last bit after for Smash, and have a character related to the Mario series(Or it's sub series like DK, Yoshi, or Warioware) be revealed at the end. The 4 prime candidates in my opinion are Captain Toad, Geno, K.Rool, and Ashley.

domriver

Smash Lord
I think i posted this wayy earlier in this Geno thread. But My fellow Geno Fans 3rd times a charm? According to Sakurai he wanted Geno since Brawl and now Ultimate is here the 3rd iteration of the game of him wanting Geno in. I think we good. 12/7 can not come sooner lol.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly I am expecting Ashley after the tourney. She is very popular in Japan and it is a Japanese event.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Honestly I am expecting Ashley after the tourney. She is very popular in Japan and it is a Japanese event.
Show Ashley and Geno as playable in Smash AND Mario Tennis, please.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Show Ashley and Geno as playable in Smash AND Mario Tennis, please.
Actually, that brings up a good idea. Do you think there will ever be a time where they show multiple newcomers in the same sort of trailer. It is not often that happens, but it has occurred. And if this were to happen with Geno, who do you think would be that other newcomer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom