• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Well this is an interesting "development" to say the least. My current hypothesis is on not being related. Based on fatman' s statement I'm guessing there has been at least 5 pictures now up in the air and with little similarity and the timing between the starling and a possible direct in September, along with the swath of releases from the game stop leak my current guess is that all of the new ones are all hints towards new items to be discussed sometime next month and don't relate to whatever the starling is. I can't imagine how it's going to play out given how full the current release schedule is but if thier just short teaser type things for any releases in the next year or two or maybe smaller things that would require less work like the often mentioned metroid prime trilogy port I could see it happen. Hopefully the ban on speculation gets lifted and these get shared with the rest of the gamming community but we'll just have to see
Exactly. I don't think the starling is related to the newest pics at all given how long it's been since the starling was posted. If it were related, I think it would've been lumped in with the recent picture hints

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Exactly. I don't think the starling is related to the newest pics at all given how long it's been since the starling was posted. If it were related, I think it would've been lumped in with the recent picture hints
Precisely, and even though we don't know concretely I'm willing to bet they've all been this month and had significantly shorter spaces between them, almost as if a direct is coming and he's slowly been crossreferencing all the rumors and dropping a pic with each confirmation. The real interesting bit is given what was seen as worthy of a pic previously and how each one so far has only been planned to get 1 pic(banjo being given an exception due to sabi's responce) I'm VERY curious what could be comming to illicit this behavior.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
What kind of hints?

EDIT: Happy 1300th page, everyone!
Fatmanonice has stated that the NoA source that posted the starling is now posting some new image hints in their private Discord, interestingly coinciding (timing-wise) with the new SKU listings on Gamestop (which are of unknown, unannounced games, of which there are 18 total so far).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Fatmanonice has stated that the NoA source that posted the starling is now posting some new image hints in their private Discord, interestingly coinciding (timing-wise) with the new SKU listings on Gamestop (which are of unknown, unannounced games, of which there are 18 total so far).
So how are they related to Geno, may I ask?

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace
I didn't mean Undertale lacks personality, but rather that it's difficult to incorporate in Smash while staying true to the series if you limit it to a character.

Think about that for a second: being a character can limit how you represent the series. It's why I think that moveset that makes you balance between Killing and Sparing is a bad idea because Undertale isn't about balance: it's about extremes, and one is clearly more favorable in every way possible. An AT would be the best way to represent Undertale as you can have full-screen moves that need to be avoided that come out quickly. Basically, a character needs to be balanced and fair, but an AT can perfectly represent the game.

Also, I agree: Geno, while he could be represented with an AT, would end up like Isaac...shortchanged and not fully represented.

I never said he wasn't popular. That would be a sign of ignorance or denial. What I stated is, basically, 'not every franchise needs a character in Smash' and that 'some franchises would be better represented outside of a character in Smash'. You can look at some of the items or ATs or stages already in the game and pick-up on that. Sometimes, as much as you want a character in the game to play as, it's just not possible to properly represent that franchise in such a way.

Also, what the player does in MineCraft could be easily represented with a stage: you listen to peaceful music as you explore and gather resources to build things, then repeat the process. That would be easily translated into a stage, but would be more difficult to represent as a character. You could also have enemies and animals be involved with the stage, but these would likely never be involved in the moveset.

AYEEEE~! I called this weeks ago. I mentioned that the Starling hint likely didn't mean **** for us, and guess what? It likely doesn't mean **** for us! I almost couldn't care less about what it DOES mean though. This is why I think VRPlant's method of telling you exactly what you are getting is much better than speculation: rather than hypothesize for days and weeks and months and more and never be even close to being right and POSSIBLY making yourself a little looney in the process, you simple know what is coming.

So, all we got is no costume. I've feeling extra negative about my hobbies today, so I'm gonna come out and say it: I think a Spirit is all we are gonna get. Geno isn't as big of a 3rd Party pull as so many other choices and I doubt he would be on Nintendo's list of choices to give Sakurai. It just doesn't make sense to be any other way, and Nintendo's pattern is that we will likely get nothing after this line of characters, so I think we need to push him hard to give him a chance for the next Smash game or a new SMRPG of some sort, be it a remake or sequel.

Granted, I still hope he's coming, but thinking he's likely? Nothing points to that at all. Just a bunch of coincidences that will ultimately add up to nothing.
I see that you did say "I think" in there so I apologize for the following rant in advance lol. Also, not trying to rag on you; I'm just belaboring some adverse opinions. I do get what you're saying it's just that in my opinion (again my opinion) it simply doesn't matter how it actually represents actual gameplay in a game like Undertale. I mean look at so many other characters in the Smash. Ganondorf is still a travesty after all this time while Link changes every single game. There really is no consistency or basis for the claims you're making. Cap falcon represents F-Zero by...being fast? What? Villager does whatever the heck they want because they're not even fighters unlike how Frisk or other UT characters or Steve for that matter can actually be fighters. It's not that your point doesn't make sense it's just that it simply doesn't matter in Smash and thats been proven. It may be better to think of Smash fighters as an ode to their games with many references rather than accurate representations of their respective franchises/games.

I agree that stages and AT can be appropriate. I agree that every franchise/game doesn't NEED a fighter, but I wouldn't necessarily say that a stage or AT is more appropriate than a fighter in cases like Minecraft or Undertale. I think plenty of Steve movesets reflect Minecraft just fine. Obviously you're not going to have an UT Moveset that represents the game totally accurately but it could certainly incorporate many aspects of the game to the point that it becomes like an ode to the game.

So yes a stage or AT could certainly represent these games well, but a fighter will draw more attention and often is a nice reflection of concepts from the game they're from even if that reflection isnt totally accurate to how the game actually works. With how widespread Smash's reach is it'd really be impossible for them to accurately represent every franchise/game that has a rep. Snake's grenades aren't going to OHKO other fighters, ivysaur's razor leaf isn't going to do extra damage to Greninja or squirtle (although they tried to do that in Brawl kinda), Samus has a lot more mechanics from Metroid that would need to be worked into her kit to be really all that accurate. Smash scratches the surface with many character but doesn't truly dive in to a 100% accurate representation of that characters games in many cases. The facts just aren't there to back you up. It's perfectly valid for someone to say "I think x game should just have a stage or AT because I personally don't think there is a good way to make such and such a character work in a way that I would I like" which is an opinion. But Smash doesn't care what our rules or opinions are.

Also, don't lose faith for ANY character you want no matter how obscure or seemingly impossible. Smash can always surprise us.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So how are they related to Geno, may I ask?
They are not yet related. However, if the starling image hint IS related to these new image hints, that means the starling probably isn't for Geno in Smash. As of now, because Fatman's not been given permission to share the exact hints, we do not know more than that.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Happy whopping 1300 pages of Geno discussion and speculation - may the stars align for 1300 more (especially if we get our wish - I feel like the thread will immediately be set on fire from the amount of traffic if that happens.)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Haven't been on smashboards for weeks but damn grats on the 1300 pages, you guys are insane, and if this isn't proof enough as it was for Banjo and others that there is still ongoing support for this character, then I don't know what does. Too bad there are still people making fake leaks but don't ever lose hope.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Haven't been on smashboards for weeks but damn grats on the 1300 pages, you guys are insane, and if this isn't proof enough as it was for Banjo and others that there is still ongoing support for this character, then I don't know what does. Too bad there are still people making fake leaks but don't ever lose hope.
I mean, I'll be honest, there was a good while there where I genuinely thought I was sort of in this minority bracket hoping for a character like Geno to see some representation, but after I discovered this thread in particular, I'd started lurking around the boards and followed the discussion in the background. I'm ecstatic there are so many other fans rallying behind this character that had meant so much to me growing up. It's a nice feeling!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, I'll be honest, there was a good while there where I genuinely thought I was sort of in this minority bracket hoping for a character like Geno to see some representation, but after I discovered this thread in particular, I'd started lurking around the boards and followed the discussion in the background. I'm ecstatic there are so many other fans rallying behind this character that had meant so much to me growing up. It's a nice feeling!
Oh, my friend, people have absolutely adored Geno for decades. He's proven himself as a fan favorite for a large group. I'd still say the Geno fanbase is more of a minority bracket, but not NEARLY as much as I thought back when I used to hate the guy. (Again, yeah, I used to hate Geno. Now I'm one of his biggest supporters and lore-crafters. Go figure!) Trust me when I say that you are not alone.

MattX20

Smash Hero
They are not yet related. However, if the starling image hint IS related to these new image hints, that means the starling probably isn't for Geno in Smash. As of now, because Fatman's not been given permission to share the exact hints, we do not know more than that.
The time between the starling and these newest images is suspect also. If it were related to these newest hints, it'd make a lot more sense if it was posted with the newest hints. That, and the source made it perfectly clear that it's not Fire Emblem or Pokemon related, and since Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Animal Crossing already had major titles released or on the horizon, Smash seems to be the only thing that fits the starling.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The time between the starling and these newest images is suspect also. If it were related to these newest hints, it'd make a lot more sense if it was posted with the newest hints. That, and the source made it perfectly clear that it's not Fire Emblem or Pokemon related, and since Mario, Zelda, Kirby, and Animal Crossing already had major titles released or on the horizon, Smash seems to be the only thing that fits the starling.
It could always be about a new Star Fox game, concidering "Starwing" and all that jazz.

So according to Sabi, more Switch placeholders have been added to the GameStop site.
I’m seriously wondering how big this next Direct could be.
Please tell me that Nintendo is just scrapping that idiotic online app and gives us a proper VC. They would earn so much more money if they did that it's ridiculous. I get if they want to keep people of having to pay for online service, but that app is a joke. PSN and Xbox could is a perfect blueprint for them on how they should handle it.

MattX20

Smash Hero
It could always be about a new Star Fox game, concidering "Starwing" and all that jazz.

Please tell me that Nintendo is just scrapping that idiotic online app and gives us a proper VC. They would earn so much more money if they did that it's ridiculous. I get if they want to keep people of having to pay for online service, but that app is a joke. PSN and Xbox could is a perfect blueprint for them on how they should handle it.
Europe hasn't used Star Wing since the original SNES game, so I doubt it. Star Fox 64 was called Lylat Wars in Europe because George Lucas thought Star Wing sounded too much like Star Wars and requested a name change

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Europe hasn't used Star Wing since the original SNES game, so I doubt it. Star Fox 64 was called Lylat Wars in Europe because George Lucas thought Star Wing sounded too much like Star Wars and requested a name change
While you are absolutely right, I was more thinking about a mixture of Star Fox - Airwing wordplay situation (like we talked about how it could be a wordplay connection to Geno) if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So wait, to get around the franchise sounding too much like Star Wars, they went from “Star ___” to “___ Wars”? Ok, Europe.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
This is absolutely a possibility - If we consider the missing costume an oddity in of itself, we also have to think about the fact that the Chocobo costume didn't come back, either. They could currently be in reserve for a standalone Mii costume pack release, or, of course, there's this lingering possibility that there's another Square character who will be shown later on that they'll drop the costumes with.

And if you really want to take that places, you could argue Geno was missing because he'll be in the game as a fighter, and the Chocobo was missing because it was gonna drop with Geno's costume pack. Of course, guess which version of the future I want. :ultduckhunt:
There's also the missing Virtua Fighter Mii Costume that no one brings up despite them being SEGA characters and Akira being an Assist Trophy.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I see that you did say "I think" in there so I apologize for the following rant in advance lol. Also, not trying to rag on you; I'm just belaboring some adverse opinions. I do get what you're saying it's just that in my opinion (again my opinion) it simply doesn't matter how it actually represents actual gameplay in a game like Undertale. I mean look at so many other characters in the Smash. Ganondorf is still a travesty after all this time while Link changes every single game. There really is no consistency or basis for the claims you're making. Cap falcon represents F-Zero by...being fast? What? Villager does whatever the heck they want because they're not even fighters unlike how Frisk or other UT characters or Steve for that matter can actually be fighters. It's not that your point doesn't make sense it's just that it simply doesn't matter in Smash and thats been proven. It may be better to think of Smash fighters as an ode to their games with many references rather than accurate representations of their respective franchises/games.

I agree that stages and AT can be appropriate. I agree that every franchise/game doesn't NEED a fighter, but I wouldn't necessarily say that a stage or AT is more appropriate than a fighter in cases like Minecraft or Undertale. I think plenty of Steve movesets reflect Minecraft just fine. Obviously you're not going to have an UT Moveset that represents the game totally accurately but it could certainly incorporate many aspects of the game to the point that it becomes like an ode to the game.

So yes a stage or AT could certainly represent these games well, but a fighter will draw more attention and often is a nice reflection of concepts from the game they're from even if that reflection isnt totally accurate to how the game actually works. With how widespread Smash's reach is it'd really be impossible for them to accurately represent every franchise/game that has a rep. Snake's grenades aren't going to OHKO other fighters, ivysaur's razor leaf isn't going to do extra damage to Greninja or squirtle (although they tried to do that in Brawl kinda), Samus has a lot more mechanics from Metroid that would need to be worked into her kit to be really all that accurate. Smash scratches the surface with many character but doesn't truly dive in to a 100% accurate representation of that characters games in many cases. The facts just aren't there to back you up. It's perfectly valid for someone to say "I think x game should just have a stage or AT because I personally don't think there is a good way to make such and such a character work in a way that I would I like" which is an opinion. But Smash doesn't care what our rules or opinions are.

Also, don't lose faith for ANY character you want no matter how obscure or seemingly impossible. Smash can always surprise us.
Part of me really wants to keep this going, but the other part of me who is bored of the conversation and wants to meme is feeling stronger today. So have this:

So I don't leave your post with nothing, though, I will say some short things.
  1. Classic Characters can't really be changed that much, Classic being from N64 or Melee. As much as people want those characters to evolve and change based on their new games, there are very many more vocal fans who would lose their stack of pancakes if that happened. Thus, only minor changes can be made. Even BotW Link is a rather minor change.
  2. Not every game mechanic can be applied when you are a character, but they can be via stage or Assist Trophy. This is why I think other franchises can be better represented via stage/AT. Undertale is a bullet hell that has major emotional impact and choices that matter. You can't really reflect much of that in a character, but Sans, Undyne, Papyrus or Asgore as ATs? Would suit them perfectly. Also, the emotional part really can't be done without a stage giving us those feels moments, as emotional impact isn't really needed despite being a key feature of Undertale. MineCraft isn't truly about combat at all: it's mainly exploration and resource gathering and building/crafting. While Steve/whoever could be a character, with such little to really go on due to the lack of combat focus and the requirement of crafting/building in his kit, it would be extremely difficult to craft such a mechanic in a fair and balanced manner that also feels fun AND properly represents the franchise. You can say 'it can be done' but how many of us saying 'it can be done' are game developers?
Probably the one about three new offline modes and one new online mode
Not to be a prick, but it was 3 new Online modes, 1 new Smash mode and 1 new Games and More mode.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Seriously, they can't expect for people to not become attached to him when they keep using him as the face of their game alongside Alex and the Creeper, especially since a name, a nice look, and the stuff they do is enough for many people.
Well there are a lot of Minecraft fan who don't really care for Steve. Since the game is in first person view that means you rarely get to see him and with the lack of characterization and personality Steve has became just a vehicle for fans to put their own interpretation onto and change his look by using different skins to fit the way they play Minecraft. Because the way Minecraft works there a great chance that Steve and Alex will be nothing more than just avatars for players to change out. It's similar to The Sims, there are no central characters since people make their own characters, which is why Steve can have his name change.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Part of me really wants to keep this going, but the other part of me who is bored of the conversation and wants to meme is feeling stronger today. So have this:

1. Classic Characters can't really be changed that much, Classic being from N64 or Melee. As much as people want those characters to evolve and change based on their new games, there are very many more vocal fans who would lose their stack of pancakes if that happened. Thus, only minor changes can be made. Even BotW Link is a rather minor change.
  2. Not every game mechanic can be applied when you are a character, but they can be via stage or Assist Trophy. This is why I think other franchises can be better represented via stage/AT. Undertale is a bullet hell that has major emotional impact and choices that matter. You can't really reflect much of that in a character, but Sans, Undyne, Papyrus or Asgore as ATs? Would suit them perfectly. Also, the emotional part really can't be done without a stage giving us those feels moments, as emotional impact isn't really needed despite being a key feature of Undertale. MineCraft isn't truly about combat at all: it's mainly exploration and resource gathering and building/crafting. While Steve/whoever could be a character, with such little to really go on due to the lack of combat focus and the requirement of crafting/building in his kit, it would be extremely difficult to craft such a mechanic in a fair and balanced manner that also feels fun AND properly represents the franchise. You can say 'it can be done' but how many of us saying 'it can be done' are game developers?
Combat is a big part of Minecraft survival, and Sakurai could certainly give Steve a few blocks to place and get resources from to quickly make a tool upgrade or armor.

Minecraft 1.9 was literally "The Combat Update."

I hope you realize what you're saying is also an opinion, you also don't know if it'd be extremely difficult or easy. Minecraft already has plenty of stuff Steve can use in a moveset, and really they could just give him a building move and have resources drop from opponents and count that as crafting since he can craft small walls to pound opponents against before they break. Building is basically structure crafting.

Well there are a lot of Minecraft fan who don't really care for Steve. Since the game is in first person view that means you rarely get to see him and with the lack of characterization and personality Steve has became just a vehicle for fans to put their own interpretation onto and change his look by using different skins to fit the way they play Minecraft. Because the way Minecraft works there a great chance that Steve and Alex will be nothing more than just avatars for players to change out. It's similar to The Sims, there are no central characters since people make their own characters, which is why Steve can have his name change.
Steve can't have his name change, because the name "Steve" is tied directly to his skin, same with Alex. Yes, players can change the skin, but then they're no longer Steve, yet Steve is still pushed as the main face alongside Alex and the Creeper.

And where are you getting your figures from in regards to people who don't care? Are you even part of the community? Because yes, there are people who don't care, but there's still tons of thousands of fans that do or at least like/love the idea of him in Smash, and like using him in builds, fanart, and animations. There's even a popular "Life of Steve and Alex" animation series.

I don't know how many times I have to say the same frickin stuff over and over before y'all realize Steve is actually popular, no matter how much y'all hate him. It's like y'all don't actually read the stuff I mention and describe.

Also, in some games, Link is also pretty much a vehicle for the player just with a bit of personality (but it's vague enough it could match almost anyone). Villager definitely is. Steve and Alex still have their own frickin names and designs and you could base their personality on the world around them and the game's silly stuff; they could even emote by having their eyes widen to 2x2 or even 3x3 pixels, have their pupils move, and have them blink / do expressive animations (which can be done with stiff limbs) since mobs already blink in Minecraft Earth.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Combat is a big part of Minecraft survival, and Sakurai could certainly give Steve a few blocks to place and get resources from to quickly make a tool upgrade or armor.

Minecraft 1.9 was literally "The Combat Update."

I hope you realize what you're saying is also an opinion, you also don't know if it'd be extremely difficult or easy. Minecraft already has plenty of stuff Steve can use in a moveset, and really they could just give him a building move and have resources drop from opponents and count that as crafting since he can craft small walls to pound opponents against before they break. Building is basically structure crafting.

Steve can't have his name change, because the name "Steve" is tied directly to his skin, same with Alex. Yes, players can change the skin, but then they're no longer Steve, yet Steve is still pushed as the main face alongside Alex and the Creeper.

And where are you getting your figures from in regards to people who don't care? Are you even part of the community? Because yes, there are people who don't care, but there's still tons of thousands of fans that do or at least like/love the idea of him in Smash, and like using him in builds, fanart, and animations. There's even a popular "Life of Steve and Alex" animation series.

I don't know how many times I have to say the same frickin stuff over and over before y'all realize Steve is actually popular, no matter how much y'all hate him.
For some reason you REALLY seem to take this a bit personal. You are mostly keeping yourself contained, but there is some verbiage in your posts that show you are perhaps a bit too emotionally invested in this.

Of course it's my opinion. I've barely ever played MC. I really don't care about the game. It's just a time-sink sandbox kinda game with a retro style that is now marketed to kids over it's original demographic. I've seen what other people have done for movesets, and I see what is wrong with it. You can say there was a 'combat update' but is the main gameplay fighting? No: it's exploring generated worlds and gathering resources to craft things. Yes, there IS fighting, but combat and survival is there in a lesser form and is not the main focus of MineCraft.

You mentioned that before, and I admitted he is popular. Being popular =/= should be a character in Smash. It tends to lead to that...eventually...sometimes. But just because thousands of people who think Steve should be in Smash say he should doesn't mean he's realizable. There are a lot of Smash clones out there, but I haven't really seen one integrate Steve despite his popularity. Obviously Sakurai and his team can do better than indie devs who probably make no money, but what if they also think it's a difficult tasks to make Steve unique while also balance AND properly represent MineCraft?

Personally, if you ask me, a crafting mechanic could work out fine. A building mechanic would be a problem though. Most serious fighting games don't involve true terrain on the battlefield in the sense of walls that can block movement. Imagine trying to balance what Steve could build with his Down-B? What blocks can he use? How many blocks can he have at a time? How long do they stay active when placed? How many hits do they take? Can you roll through them? Can you use them to trap your opponent? Can you opponent(s) interact with them as well, or only Steve? Can he mine them for items or for a unique mechanic like gaining materials to craft with?

I'm sure there are many more balancing questions that would come to the mind of a developer. Many fans will come up with movesets but not consider balancing. It's easy to say 'Steve is possible and here is a moveset I made up for him' without taking in the time to think about channel times, frame data, invincibility, recovery, hit boxes, hurt boxes...etc etc. Then you HAVE to make sure the mechanic represents MineCraft well, so Steve couldn't really do anything he can't in MC. Very few liberties could be taken in terms of bending things for his moveset.

So that I'm not seeming constantly negative, I'll give you an idea of what I think is a good place to start: Kragg from Rivals of Aether.

He can summon a single stone cube that he can pick up and throw or manipulate in other ways and some of his moves work differntly when interacting with it. However, your opponent can break it and the shards can hit you, acting as and attack and giving them an opening. I can't remember if they can pick it up too, been a while since I played. I would start with that idea (or maybe Shovel Knight in RoA because I think he can do something similar? Again, not sure, I played it without DLC) and try to build Steve's building mechanic off of that as a basic foundation.

EDIT: To clarify about a building mechanic being a problem, I don't mean it's not possible, but that it would be difficult to do correctly. Remember: it would have to represent MC correctly, be unique, be fun AND be balanced fairly. That is a bit of a tall order. Not impossible, but I'm confident it would take a lot of time to get it right.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight in RoA can summon a block that he can hit around or break for more gold.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
For some reason you REALLY seem to take this a bit personal. You are mostly keeping yourself contained, but there is some verbiage in your posts that show you are perhaps a bit too emotionally invested in this.

Of course it's my opinion. I've barely ever played MC. I really don't care about the game. It's just a time-sink sandbox kinda game with a retro style that is now marketed to kids over it's original demographic. I've seen what other people have done for movesets, and I see what is wrong with it. You can say there was a 'combat update' but is the main gameplay fighting? No: it's exploring generated worlds and gathering resources to craft things. Yes, there IS fighting, but combat and survival is there in a lesser form and is not the main focus of MineCraft.

You mentioned that before, and I admitted he is popular. Being popular =/= should be a character in Smash. It tends to lead to that...eventually...sometimes. But just because thousands of people who think Steve should be in Smash say he should doesn't mean he's realizable. There are a lot of Smash clones out there, but I haven't really seen one integrate Steve despite his popularity. Obviously Sakurai and his team can do better than indie devs who probably make no money, but what if they also think it's a difficult tasks to make Steve unique while also balance AND properly represent MineCraft?

EDIT: To clarify about a building mechanic being a problem, I don't mean it's not possible, but that it would be difficult to do correctly. Remember: it would have to represent MC correctly, be unique, be fun AND be balanced fairly. That is a bit of a tall order. Not impossible, but I'm confident it would take a lot of time to get it right.

Personally, if you ask me, a crafting mechanic could work out fine. A building mechanic would be a problem though. Most serious fighting games don't involve true terrain on the battlefield in the sense of walls that can block movement. Imagine trying to balance what Steve could build with his Down-B? What blocks can he use? How many blocks can he have at a time? How long do they stay active when placed? How many hits do they take? Can you roll through them? Can you use them to trap your opponent? Can you opponent(s) interact with them as well, or only Steve? Can he mine them for items or for a unique mechanic like gaining materials to craft with?

I'm sure there are many more balancing questions that would come to the mind of a developer. Many fans will come up with movesets but not consider balancing. It's easy to say 'Steve is possible and here is a moveset I made up for him' without taking in the time to think about channel times, frame data, invincibility, recovery, hit boxes, hurt boxes...etc etc. Then you HAVE to make sure the mechanic represents MineCraft well, so Steve couldn't really do anything he can't in MC. Very few liberties could be taken in terms of bending things for his moveset.

So that I'm not seeming constantly negative, I'll give you an idea of what I think is a good place to start: Kragg from Rivals of Aether.

He can summon a single stone cube that he can pick up and throw or manipulate in other ways and some of his moves work differntly when interacting with it. However, your opponent can break it and the shards can hit you, acting as and attack and giving them an opening. I can't remember if they can pick it up too, been a while since I played. I would start with that idea (or maybe Shovel Knight in RoA because I think he can do something similar? Again, not sure, I played it without DLC) and try to build Steve's building mechanic off of that as a basic foundation.
I think blocks could work if they set it to his neutral B, and have it so he can select some that he could get either from bonking opponents or he either has them by default; however, he can only have a maximum of 3-5 blocks in the field at a time, each block has some health before it gets destroyed by attacks or enemies getting bonked against them, and also have a certain amount of time before disappearing (each depends on the type of block, and the timer may not be a thing if Steve has to collect them). He could use dirt, wood, cobblestone, and maybe obsidian among whatever else. Maybe glass as some sort-of joke, heheh. Beyond this special, he could use certain blocks like chests or TNT in a few other moves, but only for certain functions like throws / a D-air or slamming the chest shut on an opponent. Of course there's also tools and other items.

The neutral B could work either by tapping the button to switch blocks, and hold the button and flick the thumbstick in a direction to place the block, or you can hold it to select one and it gives you a short timer before it either cancels the move or places it randomly.

I know you acknowledged his popularity before, that comment was mainly for those that keep pretending his popularity doesn't already rival if not beat out other characters that had thousands of followers...not that I care if other characters get beaten, but because I don't know how else to explain this anymore.

and yeah, I take Minecraft seriously, so I guess I get too emotional sometimes...I really care about Steve...sorry if I keep coming off as rude or something...

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I think blocks could work if they set it to his neutral B, and have it so he can select some that he could get either from bonking opponents or he either has them by default; however, he can only have a maximum of 3-5 blocks in the field at a time, each block has some health before it gets destroyed by attacks or enemies getting bonked against them, and also have a certain amount of time before disappearing (each depends on the type of block, and the timer may not be a thing if Steve has to collect this). He could use dirt, wood, cobblestone, and maybe obsidian among whatever else. Maybe glass as some sort-of joke, heheh. Beyond this special, he could use certain blocks like chests or TNT in a few other moves, but only for certain functions like throws / a D-air or slamming the chest shut on an opponent.

The neutral B could work either by tapping the button to switch blocks, and hold the button and flick the thumbstick in a direction to place the block, or you can hold it to select one and it gives you a short timer before it either cancels the move or places it randomly.

I know you acknowledged his popularity before, that comment was mainly for those that keep pretending his popularity doesn't already rival if not beat out other characters that had thousands of followers...

and yeah, I take Minecraft seriously, so I guess I get too emotional sometimes...I really care about Steve...sorry if I keep coming off as rude or something...
My brains is now going crazy. I'm a creative person by nature: if I get riled up enough, I can go on for hours creating something that doesn't really matter. I'm fading though because work at 6AM and I fall out around 9-10. Plus I showered and the make me sleepy, so here are so very quick ideas I had.
  • Placing blocks as one of his specials, has a set amount (let's say 10) and he jabs them to mine them back into his inventory.
  • Different blocks have different toughness but he has less of them/can set less of them
  • Opponents can attack them to destroy them
  • Steve can throw blocks or set them. Thrown blocks and deal dmg but have less control over where they land, can get caught like items
  • Steve can forward smash set blocks to deal damage to them. Destroying them this way can extend his smash attack a fixed distance more than normal. With various block toughness and setup, this could be used in a similar manner to Pac-Man's hydrant to lure people and trick them but also function as a barrier or terrain when needed.
  • If blocks can hit one another in MC, make it that way in Smash as well. Make his block throw 8-way directional and make it so hitting an airborne block with another block bounces the other one. Crazy combo potential there, not to mention fake-outs (throwing a block in the and and backing behind it. Am I going to throw a new block at you, hit the first block with the new block, or just let it land and setup something while you question what I am doing?).
omg

Z-DROP BLOCK COMBOS!
IMAGINE THE LEDGE GUARDING PLAYS!

I'm going to bed before I go too much deeper.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Star Fox was called Starwing in Europe because there's a German company called StarVox. George Lucas does not have sway over European copyright.

SpiritOfRuin

Smash Ace

Not to be a prick, but it was 3 new Online modes, 1 new Smash mode and 1 new Games and More mode.
Agree to disagree I suppose. I think it's kind of cool we can all agree on wanting Geno in Smash but still have very varied opinions otherwise. There's nothing wrong with that. To be honest, I enjoy these kind of debates although I am tiring of this one because I'm more focused on trying to get my Geno Moveset together. I appreciate you trying to validate your opinion even though I don't personally find much factual logic in it. I think there are plenty of recent examples of characters that the Smash team has taken plenty of liberties with it's not just 64/Melee characters those are just the most obvious.

I have no stake in Steve making it in Smash and like I said I will be totally fine if there were a stage and no fighter, but I would rather join Steve fans in speculating and push for a character they want even if it's not a character I care for. I do have a stake in Frisk making it in because I love Undertale and really like some movesets I've seen for Frisk and the one I created was really fun to create. Despite that, I will be ok if Frisk doesn't make it into Smash and I would be ok if something else like music did. I appreciate any representation for the games I love.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
One last thing before I die and resurrect on the morrow.

If Steve or someone else makes it into Smash and has a crazy moveset like I was talking about and can build things? I WILL play them just for all the crazy **** I could do.

Like, if Steve makes it and his building mechanics is anywhere near as fun as my brain thinks it could be, Imma stroll my ass over to the Steve thread and be like 'I don't get a **** about MC, but don't you DARE touch my blocks unless you wanna take 50% real quick. This is MY brick house!"

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Star Fox was called Starwing in Europe because there's a German company called StarVox. George Lucas does not have sway over European copyright.
This makes sense, but I like my interpretation that they re-named Star Fox 64 to Lylat Wars specifically to spite Lucas.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
See how a lot of new Switch SKU titles just pop up on GameStop I would love if one of those were for Golden Sun, but I got a feeling that's not going to happen.

Also notice that, with the exception of Animal Crossing, any franchise that only got represented through Assist Trophies ends up with their series failing and not getting another game. Like how Starfy, Punch-Out and Golden Sun had one game that came out within a year or two after Brawl and they never got a game again.

link2702

Smash Champion

Idk on the “classic characters can’t change cuz folks would lose their collective minds”, since ganon players have practically been begging for an overhaul since brawl. The slower stronger falcon style hasn’t exactly been kind to ganon since melee. Many ganon players would rather see him have an update. Give him his trident, give him the deadman’s volley, make his dark magic more integrated into his moveset....just no more sluggish falcon clone.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
See how a lot of new Switch SKU titles just pop up on GameStop I would love if one of those were for Golden Sun, but I got a feeling that's not going to happen.

Also notice that, with the exception of Animal Crossing, any franchise that only got represented through Assist Trophies ends up with their series failing and not getting another game. Like how Starfy, Punch-Out and Golden Sun had one game that came out within a year or two after Brawl and they never got a game again.
Poor Starfy

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Oh cool, PapaGenos featured the mode stuff I discovered in his recent video! Shame he only looked at the post someone made about it on Reddit and not my original post (which is a bit more detailed), but i'm still glad that this is out there now.

Saw it mentioned here, so I thought i'd pop in.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What were the modes exactly? I remember hearing about some sort of detamine but I never saw what exactly was on it.
3 new online modes, 1 new "Games & More" mode, and a new mode in Smash.

My guess is online version of SmashDown, Squad Strike, along with online Home-Run Contest. And speaking of which obviously, the Games & More mode is HRC as well. The new Smash mode is interesting but it could always be Coin battle returning. Not gonna lie but that was my guilty pleasure from Melee through Smash 4. :lol:

Really hoping the datamine isn't the end of the new modes. I'm really hoping Boss Battles returns with Gruntilda, Porky, & Mega Rayquaza added in. Would be a huge wasted opportunity to not do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom