• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

link2702

Smash Champion
So now knowing for sure that model was fanmade, let’s move on...

I feel his reveal is gonna be tied in with the reveal of snes games for switch online. We know that people are already tired of the nes games (and honestly many were before they even revealed switch online....they’ve crammed nes games down our throats for decades.) and Nintendo is gonna run out of nes games to put up there anyway soon, so they need something to draw folks back in. Geno being revealed at the end of the snes announcement just makes sense.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
I don't think this is horribly rude. I think that this is a very valid opinion. I'm not opposed to a character like Steve being playable. I'm not even opposed to a generic character like Piranha Plant because I think all characters are fun in their own right. But I'm also not opposed to Monster Hunter just getting a boss fight. Or if Minecraft just got a stage cuz those are still a big deal and fit in gaming's biggest crossover.

I can't say that I understand the connection you make between Undertale and Minecraft though because Undertale certainly doesn't suffer from the same lack of personality. I understand that, for whatever reason, people think it matters that Undertale is a game that encourages pacifism (even though it also encourages you to kill everyone to get the whole story) to the point that it shouldn't have a fighter in Smash. Which couldn't be more of a non issue in my opinion, but everyone is entitled to their opinions. Even tho I support and want an Undertale rep in Smash I'm also ok with it just getting something like a stage or even better music because I think it deserves some kind of recognition.

I would not be ok with a SMRPG stage or AT and no Geno though, because Geno pretty clearly belongs in Smash as a fighter. Geno is unquestionably a character with personality and unique fighting mechanics.
I didn't mean Undertale lacks personality, but rather that it's difficult to incorporate in Smash while staying true to the series if you limit it to a character.

Think about that for a second: being a character can limit how you represent the series. It's why I think that moveset that makes you balance between Killing and Sparing is a bad idea because Undertale isn't about balance: it's about extremes, and one is clearly more favorable in every way possible. An AT would be the best way to represent Undertale as you can have full-screen moves that need to be avoided that come out quickly. Basically, a character needs to be balanced and fair, but an AT can perfectly represent the game.

Also, I agree: Geno, while he could be represented with an AT, would end up like Isaac...shortchanged and not fully represented.

FYI only one person who’s part of the Minecraft team didn’t like the idea of Steve; she’s a senior manager, and actually liked the idea of a Minecraft Skeleton being in Smash. The only other Minecraft employees that said anything about Smash were a Switch Edition dev who liked the idea of Steve or a Creeper in Smash, and a new Mojang employee who said “Steve ain’t gonna Smash” in response to some rumors but acted like he didn’t actually know, just that similar rumors were going for Maxwell in Smash 4; the Mojang employee didn’t give his opinion on Steve, but did say “maybe one of my characters will be in Smash someday” after he mentioned the Maxwell thing so it’s possible he does like the idea of Steve.

There was also some official build of Steve holding a Smash invitation at some LEGO place, I forgot where...

Anyway, Minecraft is about what the player does, a stage can’t show that. Steve and Alex aren’t just the default skins, but pretty much the faces of the game alongside the Creeper. A Steve statue was even at a Microsoft store with nothing else from the game or other Microsoft IPs. There’s also many people who like Steve, as shown by fans on twitter and how popular YouTube videos of Steve Smash Bros. videos get. One even has over 116k likes, currently. There’s also a lot of Steve fan art you can easily find on Google, and players will sometimes build Steve statues or use him in some way in their builds in the game. YouTubers like CaptainSparklez have even voiced their support for him in Smash. People will even make different Steve skins.

I’d like a stage, but no Steve would suck for me and thousands of other people. Mojang still acknowledges Steve sometimes, even if we haven’t gotten stuff like the official 2011 Minecon trailer using him as the main character and the Super Meat Boy crossover in a long time, and only one Mojang employee has said anything about him in Smash as I’ve said, seeming like he possibly likes the idea. Out of the two who were part of the Minecraft team in someway, Aubrey - the person that liked the idea of a skeleton in Smash - is the only one who didn’t like Steve, and she doesn’t work on the game itself. Funnily enough, her distaste of Steve was in a reply to direwolf20, who likes the idea of Steve and is known for always using a Steve skin. She also seemed trollish, tweeting “Minecraft Steve” not long before E3.

TL;DR many people love Steve, only one Minecraft person who doesn’t work on the game itself said she didn’t like Steve but liked the idea of a Minecraft skeleton being in Smash, one dude liked the idea of Steve or a Creeper and another seemed to like Steve, Minecraft dudes built Steve with a Smash invitation at some LEGO place, and really this stage thing is subjective and stupid because none of you really give a frick and many people want Steve in Smash and he has plenty to make a fun and unique moveset as people have already made some.

I also want more Steve recognition dang it, y’all should know how it feels. I’ve been around the Minecraft community for a long time, y’all can’t fricken tell me he isn’t popular.
I never said he wasn't popular. That would be a sign of ignorance or denial. What I stated is, basically, 'not every franchise needs a character in Smash' and that 'some franchises would be better represented outside of a character in Smash'. You can look at some of the items or ATs or stages already in the game and pick-up on that. Sometimes, as much as you want a character in the game to play as, it's just not possible to properly represent that franchise in such a way.

Also, what the player does in MineCraft could be easily represented with a stage: you listen to peaceful music as you explore and gather resources to build things, then repeat the process. That would be easily translated into a stage, but would be more difficult to represent as a character. You could also have enemies and animals be involved with the stage, but these would likely never be involved in the moveset.

Things are slow speculation wise. Kind of just waiting for a Direct at this point. Sorry, I've been busy. The school year has started up again and I've been doing a lot with my wife and I's Halloween "business" including representing it a formal function for the first time and being invited to be a part of a horror convention in our city.

In regards to the PapaGeno's video, the datamine is probably real (I'll ask Slender later), the Banjo presentation is more than likely fake, and you all already figured out that the Geno render was fake. Yes, the starling is still up in the air. Yes, the Source ™ has dropped more picture hints about upcoming stuff but hasn't specified if they tie into the starling or not, nevermind if it relates to Smash. I'm going to go ahead and rip this bandage off but based on the new hints and the possibility that they're all related, it most likely isn't referring to Geno in Smash. No biggie. Geno's still in a good place as far as I'm concerned. As you guys know, I can't share the hints here until further notice but I'll ask if I can openly speculate on them or if would cause too many problems.
AYEEEE~! I called this weeks ago. I mentioned that the Starling hint likely didn't mean **** for us, and guess what? It likely doesn't mean **** for us! I almost couldn't care less about what it DOES mean though. This is why I think VRPlant's method of telling you exactly what you are getting is much better than speculation: rather than hypothesize for days and weeks and months and more and never be even close to being right and POSSIBLY making yourself a little looney in the process, you simple know what is coming.

So, all we got is no costume. I've feeling extra negative about my hobbies today, so I'm gonna come out and say it: I think a Spirit is all we are gonna get. Geno isn't as big of a 3rd Party pull as so many other choices and I doubt he would be on Nintendo's list of choices to give Sakurai. It just doesn't make sense to be any other way, and Nintendo's pattern is that we will likely get nothing after this line of characters, so I think we need to push him hard to give him a chance for the next Smash game or a new SMRPG of some sort, be it a remake or sequel.

Granted, I still hope he's coming, but thinking he's likely? Nothing points to that at all. Just a bunch of coincidences that will ultimately add up to nothing.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
So, all we got is no costume. I've feeling extra negative about my hobbies today, so I'm gonna come out and say it: I think a Spirit is all we are gonna get. Geno isn't as big of a 3rd Party pull as so many other choices and I doubt he would be on Nintendo's list of choices to give Sakurai. It just doesn't make sense to be any other way, and Nintendo's pattern is that we will likely get nothing after this line of characters, so I think we need to push him hard to give him a chance for the next Smash game or a new SMRPG of some sort, be it a remake or sequel.

Granted, I still hope he's coming, but thinking he's likely? Nothing points to that at all. Just a bunch of coincidences that will ultimately add up to nothing.
That could very well be a possibility, but c'mon, I hope you're not giving up hope, my dude! We don't know where Geno stands yet. We don't know if this is all we'll get for Smash. You're right that we need to push him hard, though, and even if he doesn't get promoted to playable in Ultimate, we can't keep quiet. We have to be LOUD.

It's sad to see you're feeling this low about Geno right now, though. C'mon, you were there to pick me up when I felt terrible about his chances, so I'm here to pick you up: it isn't over until the fat lady sings, and I sure don't see any fat ladies singing! This applies to everyone here! Geno's chances have never been better, so let's hold onto hope!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I never said he wasn't popular. That would be a sign of ignorance or denial. What I stated is, basically, 'not every franchise needs a character in Smash' and that 'some franchises would be better represented outside of a character in Smash'. You can look at some of the items or ATs or stages already in the game and pick-up on that. Sometimes, as much as you want a character in the game to play as, it's just not possible to properly represent that franchise in such a way.

Also, what the player does in MineCraft could be easily represented with a stage: you listen to peaceful music as you explore and gather resources to build things, then repeat the process. That would be easily translated into a stage, but would be more difficult to represent as a character. You could also have enemies and animals be involved with the stage, but these would likely never be involved in the moveset.
You don't know if it would be difficult; it may be for you, but others have already created good movesets for Steve with some balancing the building mechanic. How would fighters build in a stage? If you're implying Steve should be in the background, they could do that for literally every other character with their own moves and whatnot. You have not explained how Minecraft would be oh-so-much better as just a stage (outside of opinions) as if Steve murders its representation or something, when he could literally use anything from the game (including unique stuff like Enderpearls) alongside a building or crafting mechanic. It's not as if combat doesn't exist in Minecraft. I guess Little Mac and Animal Crossing were best as just an AT or Stage since that's what they were in Brawl. Heck, Animal Crossing doesn't have combat.

No franchise needs a character. We all simply want things. They could've literally given the new characters just stages that represent them without making them playable if they wanted. Steve would still work fine and I can't believe this is an actual argument instead of just an opinion.

If it's so difficult to represent as a character, how come people have already made stuff that represented it perfectly? All he needs is a few blocks he can build and maybe break to get resources from and then the rest of his moves can be any item or blocks like chests, TNT and anvils. If Steve was a fighter you probably wouldn't care and Sakurai would make him work just fine. Sakurai already took liberties with Joker and even Hero so it's not like Steve has to be able to build a house and move around in a 3D space in a fighting game. In Minecraft, you can do anything, so Sakurai can do what he wants while easily imagining a gimmick to represent the main point.

If you don't want Steve, just say so. No reason to make up opinions/subjective views and push them as facts. At least look at fan movesets and judge them first, even though Sakurai would likely do different stuff. We can have both Steve and a stage, and it would be represented perfectly. If you think we don't need Steve, but you like the game and the idea of a stage in Smash, then you really just don't care so I don't get why you're pushing this stuff as somehow factual.

And as I said, I want more for Steve than just him in Smash, and a playable Smash appearance would certainly help alongside being awesome. Surely you can understand that.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Hadn't been over in this neck of the woods since the unfortunate Grinch debacle, I much rather prefer the type of speculation and hope found within this thread in particular. So, here I am, to also voice my cheer and lend my support for GENO IN SMASH. Perhaps, with the Star Road having been long since repaired, our wish will eventually come to fruition, and the only reason it has taken this long was due to a large queue-up time waiting on other wishes to come true via Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo. :ultpacman:

The image 'leak' was on my mind all day after I saw the video this morning, and while I do wish it wasn't incorrect, I'm still happy to see more neat 3D stuff come along involving this cool little puppet man. The more fanstuffs that I see, the nicer it is to be a fan, I think.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Hadn't been over in this neck of the woods since the unfortunate Grinch debacle, I much rather prefer the type of speculation and hope found within this thread in particular. So, here I am, to also voice my cheer and lend my support for GENO IN SMASH. Perhaps, with the Star Road having been long since repaired, our wish will eventually come to fruition, and the only reason it has taken this long was due to a large queue-up time waiting on other wishes to come true via Ridley, K. Rool, and Banjo. :ultpacman:

The image 'leak' was on my mind all day after I saw the video this morning, and while I do wish it wasn't incorrect, I'm still happy to see more neat 3D stuff come along involving this cool little puppet man. The more fanstuffs that I see, the nicer it is to be a fan, I think.
That's the kind of thing I love to hear as a creator and as... proooobably one of the more active Geno fan-content creators today? I aim to keep him alive. I want to take this old character, beloved by many, and breathe new life into him. Even if Nintendo and Square doesn't do it, then I darn well shall. I plan on doing a lot of things for him, and I recommend that anyone else with some kind of artistic talent (modelling, drawing, writing, etc.) do the same! It doesn't matter how skilled you are. Everything is great to see!

Also, welcome back, buddy!

Firox

Smash Master
C'mon, bro, where's that FIRE?! Weren't you the one saying that we should be screaming from the rooftops for Geno's inclusion?! Don't you remember when you said, "IF YOU CAN DRAW, DRAW! IF YOU CAN WRITE, WRITE! IF YOU CAN ANIMATE, ANIMATE!"? This **** is far from over here, people! We got two more slots and infinite possibilities! Even then, there could be even more! Don't give up until the tendinitis-stricken, IV drip toting, Japanese dev sings!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well, back to the old plan of waiting till September in hopes of anything Geno related happening.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, this is me right now.
I feel that. Honestly, regarding the Starling hint, if it wasn't going to be a nod to Geno in Smash, I was highly suspecting whether we were more staring into the window of a potential remake/remaster of the original game. Or, best case scenario - a sequel? Oooh..

Of course, the latter is far less likely by a considerable margin. Sure is fun to think about, though. A remaster, while also unlikely, would still be interesting!

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Things are slow speculation wise. Kind of just waiting for a Direct at this point. Sorry, I've been busy. The school year has started up again and I've been doing a lot with my wife and I's Halloween "business" including representing it a formal function for the first time and being invited to be a part of a horror convention in our city.

In regards to the PapaGeno's video, the datamine is probably real (I'll ask Slender later), the Banjo presentation is more than likely fake, and you all already figured out that the Geno render was fake. Yes, the starling is still up in the air. Yes, the Source ™ has dropped more picture hints about upcoming stuff but hasn't specified if they tie into the starling or not, nevermind if it relates to Smash. I'm going to go ahead and rip this bandage off but based on the new hints and the possibility that they're all related, it most likely isn't referring to Geno in Smash. No biggie. Geno's still in a good place as far as I'm concerned. As you guys know, I can't share the hints here until further notice but I'll ask if I can openly speculate on them or if would cause too many problems.

Obviously the Starling wasn't the only thing going for him, and no costume is a major deal so I still have hope for Geno in SSBU but...

hahahaha-this-sucks-man-3187140.png

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
That could very well be a possibility, but c'mon, I hope you're not giving up hope, my dude! We don't know where Geno stands yet. We don't know if this is all we'll get for Smash. You're right that we need to push him hard, though, and even if he doesn't get promoted to playable in Ultimate, we can't keep quiet. We have to be LOUD.

It's sad to see you're feeling this low about Geno right now, though. C'mon, you were there to pick me up when I felt terrible about his chances, so I'm here to pick you up: it isn't over until the fat lady sings, and I sure don't see any fat ladies singing! This applies to everyone here! Geno's chances have never been better, so let's hold onto hope!
I appreciate it, but there really isn't anything concrete to go on. Allow me to channel my inner EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman for a moment.

If we look at what we have, it really isn't all that much.
  • Sm4sh Geno Mii Costume - That can easily be the most recognition we get versus it being proof that we can get more.
  • Sakurai saying Geno would be good for Smash - That doesn't mean that he will be in or that Sakurai still has the same opinion anymore.
  • DLC Thus Far - None of the DLC characters have had a Spirit of themselves in the game before they were released, and that included Piranha Plant. Characters in the Fighter Pass thus far don't even have a single Spirit from their franchise in the game prior to their release, and we've see three out of five. Thus far, Fighter Pass characters are all well-known character or franchises that have some potential in one way or another to make Nintendo more money in the future (Sales for Persona on Nintendo consoles, DQ sales, and a possible B&K game). None of this bodes well for Geno.
  • No Repeat A-Lenders - Thus far, Nintendo/Sakurai has not worked with a 3rd party company to get more than one character from them in a single base game or DLC situation. In Brawl, we got :snake::sonic:. One for Konami, one for Sega. In Sm4sh, we got :4megaman::4pacman: for the base game and :4ryu::4cloud::4cloud2::4bayonetta::4bayonetta2: for DLC. Base game: one for Capcom, one for Bandai Namco. DLC: one for Capcom, one for Square Enix, and one for Sega. Thus far in Ultimate, we got :ultsimon: for the base game and :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie: for DLC. Base game is one for Konami, DLC is one for Sega, one for Square Enix, and one for Microsoft. I'm not counting echoes here because their whole existence is based off using most of another character. While patterns are being broken, so far this one has not, and it not being broken is not good news for Geno. (Can you see the other pattern here? Hit me up with it if you think you see it!)
  • Cute Nods To SMRPG - How many times before has Nintendo made cute references to something and then nothing came of it? Also, it could be just as likely that these nods are all that we can get for Geno as opposed to them meaning Geno is coming.
  • Mii Costume Not Returning - Well, it's been said before, but the Mii Costume COULD still return later on down the line, though I think this is unlikely. As I mentioned, I think it's more likely that we are left with just Geno's Spirit and icon and nothing more. I agree it's weird that it wasn't shown off with the other Square Costumes, but I would wait until the possible reveal of another company that has been in Smash and see the Mii Costumes that return (Bandai Namco, Capcom, Konami) before we get TOO crazy about it. If, say, we get a Capcom character and they return the Megaman X/EXE/Protoman/MH skins along with new ones, THEN I would be suspicious about Geno's not returning when it would have been so simple to do and free money for Square Enix.
  • Nintendo Music Removal - It no longer means much of anything because now Nintendo is cracking down on people hosting their music on YT in general. The only thing you could possibly bring up is that Square should own the music and thus they should be going after people, not Nintendo, but it's possible there is something we don't know (like them having SMRPG rights means that they have to take down that music for the time they have the rights, or that something weird with Yoko/Square working with Nintendo/Sora LTD on Smash may put things in a weird spot we don't understand).
Do you see what I mean? Nothing truly points to anything stable. We have no foundation, only shaky speculation.

Now, don't misunderstand me: I still want us to fight on and be loud and keep making content and letting Nintendo/Square know what we want. That should not change until we get what we want!

All that is changed is that I think our fighting and rabble-rousing will be going towards something new for SMRPG or for the next Smash, not for Ultimate. I feel like that ship has sailed and the bell has tolled. In reality, it wouldn't matter if we DID since the DLC has already been picked and more DLC outside of this is no where near a guarantee, so honestly we should always BE aiming for the future with the idea that SMRPG or Geno is getting nothing for Ultimate.

Do you guys REALLY want to know when my opinion on this changed? It was at EVO. Everyone said to go sleep it off and come back refreshed, and while most of us moved on and felt chipper, I kept coming back every day feeling less and less sure. Nintendo did it again: they were Nintendo. The company that does what they think is best and not always what is common sense or expected. That same Nintendo that has less-than-spectacular finales for Smash in terms of reveals. That same Nintendo that seems to not really listen to hardcore fans of series that have been distant for years. And that was when I realized that it's very likely there will be no DLC after this pass, since that would be a 'that same Nintendo' thing to do. That's when I realized that it's highly likely that Geno would be nothing more than a Spirit in Ultimate, because that would be a 'that same Nintendo' thing to do.

I still love Geno. I still want Geno. I'll still push Operation Starfall and those within it to keep spreading the word about our blue puppet boi. I just don't think he is nigh. That Starling image leak really didn't have anything to do with this change, but rather how I started looking at it more realistically. It suddenly felt like I had the right idea the whole time, only to realize I was in lala land and that the reality of the situation was just as bland and drab as reality often is in most cases.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hold up, I didn't say that the starling wasn't related to Geno, I said that if all the picture hints he's been giving us are related, it probably isn't Geno. We've been trying to get him to say if they are or not for weeks and he won't say so... Potentially he's hinted as few as two major announcements and as many as five in the past two weeks which is why we're trying to get more specifics.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So according to Sabi, more Switch placeholders have been added to the GameStop site.
I’m seriously wondering how big this next Direct could be.
Hold up, I didn't say that the starling wasn't related to Geno, I said that if all the picture hints he's been giving us are related, it probably isn't Geno. We've been trying to get him to say if they are or not for weeks and he won't say so... Potentially he's hinted as few as two major announcements and as many as four in the past two weeks which is why we're trying to get more specifics.
Update: Sabi has told me that she thinks that NoA Source's other hints are unrelated to the Starling image leak. Whether it's tied to Smash or not is still up in the air.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Do you guys REALLY want to know when my opinion on this changed? It was at EVO. Everyone said to go sleep it off and come back refreshed, and while most of us moved on and felt chipper, I kept coming back every day feeling less and less sure. Nintendo did it again: they were Nintendo. The company that does what they think is best and not always what is common sense or expected. That same Nintendo that has less-than-spectacular finales for Smash in terms of reveals. That same Nintendo that seems to not really listen to hardcore fans of series that have been distant for years. And that was when I realized that it's very likely there will be no DLC after this pass, since that would be a 'that same Nintendo' thing to do. That's when I realized that it's highly likely that Geno would be nothing more than a Spirit in Ultimate, because that would be a 'that same Nintendo' thing to do.
That's true, but honestly, that was what I thought for Banjo and Kazooie. I highly doubted that they'd make it. Ridley and K. Rool were the two never evers we were getting. It would have been a 'that same Nintendo' move for them to have not gone to Microsoft for a fan favorite, instead going for someone like Master Chief or Steve. 'That same Nintendo' always gave Banjo and Kazooie the shaft, and 'that same Nintendo' discarded Rare and sold them like they were thoroughly used, useless goods.

That same Nintendo didn't show up that day when Banjo and Kazooie were revealed to be the third fighter's pass pack.

That same Nintendo is still here, but there are times where they've deviated, including during moments where it really mattered. When it was revealed that Nintendo chose the DLC, almost everyone thought that fan favorites were not going to be in. People thought B-K was basically deconfirmed with that statement... and look where we are now.

I agree that we have to look at things realistically. Geno could end up being nothing more than a spirit. That's a huge possibility that I would not overlook. I would give Nintendo at least a little more credit than that, though. They've done a lot of things that were not 'that same Nintendo' over recent years with the Switch. They've also done some things that are 'that same Nintendo'. We could end up being surprised. We really just don't know, and that's the interesting part of it. They always know how to surprise us, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way.

Last edited:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Hold up, I didn't say that the starling wasn't related to Geno, I said that if all the picture hints he's been giving us are related, it probably isn't Geno. We've been trying to get him to say if they are or not for weeks and he won't say so... Potentially he's hinted as few as two major announcements and as many as five in the past two weeks which is why we're trying to get more specifics.
I was actually about to say that I’m not counting the Starling out until we know for a fact whether or not all these picture leaks are for one thing or several.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That's true, but honestly, that was what I thought for Banjo and Kazooie. I highly doubted that they'd make it. Ridley and K. Rool were the two never evers we were getting. It would have been a 'that same Nintendo' move for them to have not gone to Microsoft for a fan favorite, instead going for someone like Master Chief or Steve. 'That same Nintendo' always gave Banjo and Kazooie the shaft, and 'that same Nintendo' discarded Rare and sold them like they were thoroughly used, useless goods.

That same Nintendo didn't show up that day when Banjo and Kazooie were revealed to be the third fighter's pass pack.

That same Nintendo is still here, but there are times where they've deviated, including during moments where it really mattered. When it was revealed that Nintendo chose the DLC, almost everyone thought that fan favorites were not going to be in. People thought B-K was basically deconfirmed with that statement... and look where we are now.
Ironically now it feels like Steve needs to be a fan favorite to get in. I really feel like Mojang is ignoring the fans though none of their employees have said anything...other than (not Smash related) some Steve acknowledgements but also "well Steve and Alex are you so what would you think?!" when someone asked them what the two would think in response to something, with only two Mojang employees offering their own idea instead of telling me my name is Steve or Alex and that the two, with their own designs and names, somehow aren't similar to Link despite treating Steve in a similar fashion to him in the past and slapping the two over tons of stuff.

Maybe next Smash.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Ironically now it feels like Steve needs to be a fan favorite to get in.

Maybe next Smash.
I honestly, sincerely think that if we either get more DLC or for the next Smash game, Steve has a hell of an amazing chance of making it in. I wouldn't be too worried myself.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I honestly, sincerely think that if we either get more DLC or for the next Smash game, Steve has a hell of an amazing chance of making it in. I wouldn't be too worried myself.
I suppose so.

I'm mostly worried because of what I put in my edit. I'm hoping, if Steve gets in, that's enough to make them change their minds/go back to how they used to treat Steve instead of this ignorant crap, though really the hundreds if not thousands of fan stuff should already be enough...

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Of course I am guessing these photos are just as cryptic as the Starling. I am curious if they are "similar" in the aspect that they are animals or something ...

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
I legitimately feel like Steve is just as deserving of a space as anybody else that has made it into the roster thus far. Smash has become less of a 1st-Party Nintendo Clique than the initial N64 days of yore, and moreso about a celebration of the gaming spectrum in general, and whether others take issue with that or not, that certainly includes a powerhouse like Minecraft. I'll raise a glass and cross my fingers on your behalf that a future Smash, or a DLC Season 2 gets you the man with the mining plan.

It's nice to know the ball's still up in the air. Hopefully, this will only mean good things once someone finally catches it. :ultduckhunt:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I also still think he's in a decent place and has better chances that he's had in months, but oof. Yeah, that's still a little painful.

Hang in there, guys! The starling isn't all that we were looking at, after all, and the lack of the Mii costume is still a glimmer of hope!
Not to be the Negative Nancy here but that Mii Costume can always come back later by itself or with the other DLC Characters.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I suppose so.

I'm mostly worried because of what I put in my edit. I'm hoping, if Steve gets in, that's enough to make them change their minds/go back to how they used to treat Steve instead of this ignorant crap, though really the hundreds if not thousands of fan stuff should already be enough...
How did they used to treat Steve? I've been playing Minecraft since InDev in 2009 and I don't recall a single point where Steve was given any significant characterization, certainly not in the Notch era (Notch himself has never even used the default skin). The Telltale game didn't use Steve either.

I have been playing Minecraft for a decade now. I have thousands upon thousands of hours in it. I've been following the game's development very intimately ever since Notch first started talking about his "Infiniminer clone" on /v/ and I am really struggling to recall a time where Steve was anything more than the name Notch came up with as a one-off comment for the default skin.

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
Not to be the Negative Nancy here but that Mii Costume can always come back later by itself or with the other DLC Characters.
This is absolutely a possibility - If we consider the missing costume an oddity in of itself, we also have to think about the fact that the Chocobo costume didn't come back, either. They could currently be in reserve for a standalone Mii costume pack release, or, of course, there's this lingering possibility that there's another Square character who will be shown later on that they'll drop the costumes with.

And if you really want to take that places, you could argue Geno was missing because he'll be in the game as a fighter, and the Chocobo was missing because it was gonna drop with Geno's costume pack. Of course, guess which version of the future I want. :ultduckhunt:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
18 freaking listings can be seen on that thing. 18 FREAKING UNKNOWN LISTINGS.
Nintendo, what are you crazy people up to?!
ZA WARUDOOOO!!!

Hmm, not telling eh? Heehee. I know what he means. :4pacman: Geno's in boys and gals.:2gud:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
How did they used to treat Steve? I've been playing Minecraft since InDev in 2009 and I don't recall a single point where Steve was given any significant characterization, certainly not in the Notch era (Notch himself has never even used the default skin). The Telltale game didn't use Steve either.

I have been playing Minecraft for a decade now. I have thousands upon thousands of hours in it. I've been following the game's development very intimately ever since Notch first started talking about his "Infiniminer clone" on /v/ and I am really struggling to recall a time where Steve was anything more than the name Notch came up with as a one-off comment for the default skin.
They never seemed to treat Steve as only the default skin since I first started in 2011, he was almost like Link; they kept the name, they used him for merch, he got a crossover with Super Meat Boy (albeit he was called Mr. Minecraft), and the 2011 Minecon trailer treated him as the main character. There may have been other stuff but I don't remember. Then Mojang continues with the Steve merch while adding Alex as a female character, Lego Magazine 2016 says Steve is her boyfriend, and even some official Minecraft dudes build Steve holding a Smash invitation at some Lego place. Yet they never acknowledge the Steve fans and sometimes act like he doesn't exist by putting random new characters without Steve and Alex in their new published books and Dungeons and stuff, and I'm afraid he and Alex may not be in the movie, either...

Seriously, they can't expect for people to not become attached to him when they keep using him as the face of their game alongside Alex and the Creeper, especially since a name, a nice look, and the stuff they do is enough for many people.

Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
They never seemed to treat Steve as only the default skin since I first started in 2011, he was almost like Link
This must be the result of some mind boggling generational gap because this is the first I've heard of the default Minecraft skin being almost like Link

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This must be the result of some mind boggling generational gap because this is the first I've heard of the default Minecraft skin being almost like Link
I mean, I know Link really has more personality, but he's still almost like a default dude since you can name him yourself and in some games he has barely any personality aside from the occasional facial expression and his grunts/yells.

Plus Steve may as well be in a similar position (given what has been done with him officially) if Mojang didn't ignore stuffs. And as I mentioned in my edits, they really can't expect people to not be attached to him given the reasons I put.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
With so many SKU's at Gamestop, I am thinking the photos may not be related to one another (Starling .... other cryptic ones Fatmanonice mentioned) but for different things, be it new games, remakes, new IPs, etc.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not at all. Very different themes which makes it all the more infuriating.
It basically means, as far as I'm concerned, the starling has a chance of still being related to Geno. I'm not willing to throw this starling pic away until the September direct has come and gone

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Clearly, the Starling debacle is wildly misinformed.

1200px-396Starly.png

Clearly, it's actually a hint at Starly Mystery Dungeon 3: Battle Royale Definitive Edition, Director's Cut S.

Coming to the Nintendo Virtual Boy on February 31st.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about the starling is that it came shortly before Hero's presentation, and after that came and went, the source doubled down on it. Now, we see those SKU listings, and we're suddenly getting more hints.

I think the starling thing is entirely unrelated. However, there's still a possibility that it is related to the other picture hints.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Again, with Fatman clearing this whole thing up, we shouldn't discard the possibility of Geno being potentially related to the starling. Remember, this private discord is made up of several Geno fans, and this one pic was posted back on July 14th, and the source later doubled down on it on the 30th. I have my doubts that the new pics Fatman is talking about are directly tied into the starling pic if the source is being more cryptic than usual. I think they are actually for separate announcements, and we should keep this in mind until proven right or wrong.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The thing about the starling is that it came shortly before Hero's presentation, and after that came and went, the source doubled down on it. Now, we see those SKU listings, and we're suddenly getting more hints.

I think the starling thing is entirely unrelated. However, there's still a possibility that it is related to the other picture hints.
What kind of hints?

EDIT: Happy 1300th page, everyone!

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Well this is an interesting "development" to say the least. My current hypothesis is on not being related. Based on fatman' s statement I'm guessing there has been at least 5 pictures now up in the air and with little similarity and the timing between the starling and a possible direct in September, along with the swath of releases from the game stop leak my current guess is that all of the new ones are all hints towards new items to be discussed sometime next month and don't relate to whatever the starling is. I can't imagine how it's going to play out given how full the current release schedule is but if thier just short teaser type things for any releases in the next year or two or maybe smaller things that would require less work like the often mentioned metroid prime trilogy port I could see it happen. Hopefully the ban on speculation gets lifted and these get shared with the rest of the gamming community but we'll just have to see

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom