• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Looking at the image, I think it looks to be more of a perspective thing, really.
Considering the image is straight on, it almost certainly is not. Regardless of perspective, the lines in proper position would appear to line up with the Middle of the eye.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
What if there is a smash canon reasoning for the wrong lines. Geno's original puppet body got destroyed when he got turned into a spirit. Meaning his Spirit had to find a new body to inhabit. Maybe the Boy Geno originally stole the doll from made/bought a new one to replace it (which could be an updated design). And Geno decided to steal from the boy again lol

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Considering the image is straight on, it almost certainly is not. Regardless of perspective, the lines in proper position would appear to line up with the Middle of the eye.
Oh, I thought you meant the lines were uneven compared to eachother. Like, the left eye line was off compared to the right eye line.
Well maybe the lines are closer to the nose because it's a slight update to the design? It wouldn't be too unrealistic considering how some other older characters look.
- Ridley's skin was made to look slightly flayed compared to his usual skin in the games.
- King K. Rool's Smash design is a mix of his classic Rare design (rough scales, belly armor) and his Paon design. (short to nonexistant tail, gemstone on the tie of the cape)
- And more recently, Banjo's Smash design is slightly more top heavy compared to how he is in the games, which is apparently how it was supposed to look originally.
Not saying that it's legit, of course, just that it doesn't really deconfirm anything.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Sure enough, the model's not only fanmade, but this particular image of it is actually pretty old. I knew I recognized that model from somewhere, but couldn't place it. Now I remember where I saw it.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Sure enough, the model's not only fanmade, but this particular image of it is actually pretty old. I knew I recognized that model from somewhere, but couldn't place it. Now I remember where I saw it.
Still, that’s a pretty impressive model, I don’t have the time or patience to do that and they did a really good job on it.

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
There are two issues I have with that Geno model.

Everyone points out the lines under his eyes, but no one ever points out how the collar of his cloak isn't at all correct.

Geno's Original Render

Look how much his collar is propped up so that it even reaches his ears.

You can even see it in his appearance in this Official SMRPG artwork:

A lot of people don't actually get this part right in their depictions of him. It makes him look wizardly, which fits him as he's pretty much a GunMage.

And there it is.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I knew it was fake from the beginning since the eyes and lines and the collar doesn’t match the original design but I gotta say I am really interested to see if this is going to be a modded for a switch fighting game

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Good detective work. They did a good job of making the eyes look painted in. Too bad it apparently hasn't been fully finished yet.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Something I realized, by my own post, is how inconsistent Geno's portrayals are. His original artwork for his game showed him with a deep blue coloration but with a high collar. In-game, he looks much the same except his deep blue is now closer to a sky blue, which is a MUCH nicer color scheme, I'm not gonna lie.
(Just for fun, I quickly took his official render and changed the blue to match his in-game appearance more, it's attached to this post)

In M&L:SS, his colors match his original artwork, but it isn't clear if his collar is high or not. The vast majority of fan art for Geno depict with him with a low collar, sometimes even having his collar have this strange zig-zag design. All fan art teeters between the light blue and the deep blue.

And then the Mii Costume comes in with a deep blue color and the low collar.

All this to say, after examining what I know to be how Geno looks best (his original in-game appearance), I've come to the conclusion that of all modern appearances for Geno (fan-made and otherwise) his Smashified appearance is most accurate to his proper design:
The proportions are correct, the color is great, the collar is almost EXACT. It was amazing when I first saw it, but since then other renders have come out that looked spectacular too. However, this re-examination has made me change my mind to see this as the optimal render for Geno.

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still love how the model looks though. It's extremely good and could serve as a great Ultimate mod if Geno isn't in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dynamic Worlok

Oh, I thought you meant the lines were uneven compared to eachother. Like, the left eye line was off compared to the right eye line.
Well maybe the lines are closer to the nose because it's a slight update to the design?
I find that hard to believe, for one: it looks bad and makes the center of his face more noisy from a design standpoint, and two: it serves absolutely no purpose. Such a small detail really doesn't need to be changed.

D

Deleted member

When I talked about a Smash design for Geno, I said that I'd want his cloak/cape to have tiny tips and tears in. I thought about that a bit more today after I saw that render the first time and I thought of this: A small part of one of his orange ribbons is missing, like the curly part, and he has paint scrapes on his shoes.

Dang, I really want to draw that now.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly the thing that made that image fake was the fact it only showed the face.

Why not show the rest of the model?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That Geno image from that 4Chan post that was posted today...anyone have the link to where the image came from?

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I had a dream last night that I checked this thread and everybody was speculating over a datamine that had codenames for modes and stuff in future updates, and people were tying to figure out what the modes were. One of them was like "empire smash" or something like that. It was wild.

Too bad I had to wake up and find we're speculating over 4chan leaks again.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Things are slow speculation wise. Kind of just waiting for a Direct at this point. Sorry, I've been busy. The school year has started up again and I've been doing a lot with my wife and I's Halloween "business" including representing it a formal function for the first time and being invited to be a part of a horror convention in our city.

In regards to the PapaGeno's video, the datamine is probably real (I'll ask Slender later), the Banjo presentation is more than likely fake, and you all already figured out that the Geno render was fake. Yes, the starling is still up in the air. Yes, the Source ™ has dropped more picture hints about upcoming stuff but hasn't specified if they tie into the starling or not, nevermind if it relates to Smash. I'm going to go ahead and rip this bandage off but based on the new hints and the possibility that they're all related, it most likely isn't referring to Geno in Smash. No biggie. Geno's still in a good place as far as I'm concerned. As you guys know, I can't share the hints here until further notice but I'll ask if I can openly speculate on them or if would cause too many problems.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Things are slow speculation wise. Kind of just waiting for a Direct at this point. Sorry, I've been busy. The school year has started up again and I've been doing a lot with my wife and I's Halloween "business" including representing it a formal function for the first time and being invited to be a part of a horror convention in our city.

In regards to the PapaGeno's video, the datamine is probably real (I'll ask Slender later), the Banjo presentation is more than likely fake, and you all already figured out that the Geno render was fake. Yes, the starling is still up in the air. Yes, the Source ™ has dropped more picture hints about upcoming stuff but hasn't specified if they tie into the starling or not, nevermind if it relates to Smash. I'm going to go ahead and rip this bandage off but based on the new hints and the possibility that they're all related, it most likely isn't referring to Geno in Smash. No biggie. Geno's still in a good place as far as I'm concerned. As you guys know, I can't share the hints here until further notice but I'll ask if I can openly speculate on them or if would cause too many problems.
Which horror convention if I may ask?

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice

Just saw the video, why would they bring coin battle back, did, people ever actually play coin battle?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I don't think the image is especially real but surely someone making a Geno model isn't going to be doing it from memory. They're going to have a picture of him open at all times to reference off of, so clearly the lines were moved on purpose. Seeing lines in a different place isn't the nail in the coffin, it's entirely possible the powers that be think that line arrangement looks better in motion or something.

Reminds me of the naval flag of France.
1566504234572.png

French ships fly this flag with uneven bar widths because it looks better flying in the wind than the equal-width variant used in every other official capacity. Geno's model has only ever stood completely still, so it doesn't really strike me as impossible that Sakurai would think the lines look better as they are in that image when he's moving around.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So there's a possibility that the Starling isn't related to Geno or is it just straight up not related to Geno? Cause of course there was always a possibility that it wasn't related to Geno as far as I'm concerned that's not a big deal but if it's the latter then yikes.

The Starling seemed to be one of the biggest things in Geno's favor so if it doesn't mean Geno then yeah that's kind of a big deal from my perspective. Of course it doesn't kill Geno's chances if it isn't related to Geno cause we don't have a Mii Costume and that's suspicious but the Starling seemed to be one of the very few things pointing towards Geno leak-wise.

Dynamic Worlok

C'est la vie. We all knew it was a longshot to begin with. I'll not lose sleep if it doesn't pan out. Our biggest thing right now is the mii costume anyway.

Firox

Smash Master
C'est la vie. We all knew it was a longshot to begin with. I'll not lose sleep if it doesn't pan out. Our biggest thing right now is the mii costume anyway.
I second this. It doesn't matter what the starling means. We already got passed one of Geno's largest hurdles. As far as I'm concerned, it's all or nothing now. Fortunately, we have more reason to believe it's all rather than nothing.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Regardless of all the "leaks", speculation, and what-haves, I'll say it again, I'm going ALL IN!!! Geno's coming babyyyyyy!!! I'll embrace the salt if otherwise. :2gud:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Sigh... just sigh...

Ovaltine

Smash Master

I also still think he's in a decent place and has better chances that he's had in months, but oof. Yeah, that's still a little painful.

Hang in there, guys! The starling isn't all that we were looking at, after all, and the lack of the Mii costume is still a glimmer of hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom