• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think that one leaker that claims before hand that Ori was coming out September 27th was just piggybackng off of VR Plant because he probably said it first.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Gamescom starts today. I doubt we'll get anything Geno related but maybe some the game announcements will at least help us get through the rest of August.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Gamescom starts today. I doubt we'll get anything Geno related but maybe some the game announcements will at least help us get through the rest of August.
Here's hoping.
And Capcom rep this, and Capcom rep that.
Funny how discussion can stagnate even when we have absolutely no concrete information about the rest of the DLC at this point.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Funny how discussion can stagnate even when we have absolutely no concrete information about the rest of the DLC at this point.
The Smash speculation scene has a really bad habit of repeating the same ideas over and over again for really no reason. You'd think speculation would be more interesting now that basically anything is on the table, but you still have everyone latching onto the latest fad character for no other reason besides everyone else guessing them

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The Smash speculation scene has a really bad habit of repeating the same ideas over and over again for really no reason. You'd think speculation would be more interesting now that basically anything is on the table, but you still have everyone latching onto the latest fad character for no other reason besides everyone else guessing them
I have my predictions that almost no one on here outside of the fanbases of these characters likes: Porky and Lloyd. But that's who I think are going to be those last two slots in the Season Pass.

I give out my character predictions once in awhile and I aways get bashed on for expressing my opinion just because the characters ain't a Capcom rep or Doom Guy. At least I don't force everyone to believe my predictions like most of the Capcom rep, Doom Guy, and Crash believers do.

I have nothing against these characters, but I think it's ridiculous to have almost everyone in the mindset that the last two Season Pass characters can't be anybody besides insert Capcom rep, Doom Guy, or Crash.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
It's possible, but we still don't know for sure.
Points in favor:
+ Starling ==> Star-ling ==> small star ==> Geno
+ Geno's cloak could be interpreted as somewhat bird-like
+ The leaker clarified almost immediately after the Hero demonstration that the Starling was still a hint, this is after not stating anything else on the matter since he posted the image. Given that Geno's costume was shown to be conspicuously absent from the demonstration as it would've been the perfect time to reveal it's return, the timing could mean something
+ Said leaker's hints tend to be rather on the nose; his hints for Banjo & Kazooie were an image of a witch + puzzle, and a picture of a bear and a bird
Points against:
- Could be referencing Edelgard from Fire Emblem, bird on house in image ==> The Black Eagles house from Fire Emblem: Three Houses ==> Edelgard
- Could be referencing anything else, for that matter
Other points:
* Most likely not Pokemon related; the leaker has been very vocal about his disdain for SwSh, and didn't do any teasing for the information he had regarding it, he just out and discussed it
The Source confirmed it wasn't Fire Emblem related. He said that that the species of bird does matter, and if it were FE related, he would've used an eagle. Otherwise, that's the state of things.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I have nothing against these characters, but I think it's ridiculous to have almost everyone in the mindset that the last two Season Pass characters can't be anybody besides insert Capcom rep, Doom Guy, or Crash.
You miss all the talk about someone like Loyd or Heihachi also because of the Mii Costume theory on top of Namco Bandai only have one (and its the Mii Costume theory that makes people talk so much about Capcom rep) Doom Slayer has the interview with the Bethesda rep that confirmed that they have talked to Nintendo about it (although I personally say it would be a red flag about his chances more then it looks likelier with that) Crash is because people argue that Crash is the last of the big platforming icons. Activision (who owns the rights) has also played ball with Nintendo for the Switch.

Let¨s not forget all the discussion about Ryu Hayabusa because of all the work Team Ninja and Koei Techmo has done for Nintendo with Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and now co-developed Fire Emblem Three Houses which (if not already) are more than likely going to be the best selling Fire Emblem game of all time. I know we love to use the buddy argument for a character coming. But where is the second or third Namco rep then?

Truth be told, there are so many ways it could end up that it's to some extent impossible to figure out
First, we have Joker, which made people think that only "relevant" characters come in. Then we have Hero who is (and no offense to any DQ fans here) a pic because of influence but also a corporate choice (I mean, Sakurai even talked about the last game in the gameplay reveal video) for the sake of promotion. Together with him, Banjo Kazooie was announced, a duo and icon from N64 era that people have said would never happen because their franchise has been dead for over a decade (while also being owned by Microsoft.)

When Joker arrives, the Mii Costume Theory kicks off because Tails and Knuckles costume returns with Joker, only to then being in limbo because of the lack of the Mii Costume of Geno.

The only pattern that has really kept on going so far, is that every character has been third-party characters. But as far as we know, that could also change.

The Source confirmed it wasn't Fire Emblem related. He said that that the species of bird does matter, and if it were FE related, he would've used an eagle. Otherwise, that's the state of things.
And who is to say that it isn¨t Fire Emblem related, as in not related to the actual game? I mean, the NoA person hasn¨t said this starling pic isn¨t about Smash Brothers after all.. There is a path for the game that will come through DLC after all which we don¨t know anything about right now. Just saying for the sake of not good of lowering the guard

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I think Geno Whirl should be done where if you time it correctly, it does heavy knockback similar to a Judge 9 that can cause a OHKO. If you don't, it does merely 1% with no knockback and it hurts you (Just like Judge 1). The main difference is that it doesn't rely on RNG.

vivala

Smash Journeyman
Okay good to know that we haven’t been crazy to look any deeper than just “it’s a bird.” The general consensus is that the only obvious things a starling could point to are Geno and Star Fox right?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I cannot understand how another Capcom rep is possible. Yes we saw Megaman in base then Ryu in DLC for Sm4sh, so there is a pattern...BUT PATTERNS ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN. Also, to me at least, there has been no sort of hint towards another Capcom rep happening. Doom Slayer at least has a smidgen of something that could suggest him. Though that itself is shaky.

EDIT: Do not get me wrong, I would love Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe or Resident Evil in Smash.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I cannot understand how another Capcom rep is possible. Yes we saw Megaman in base then Ryu in DLC for Sm4sh, so there is a pattern...BUT PATTERNS ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN. Also, to me at least, there has been no sort of hint towards another Capcom rep happening. Doom Slayer at least has a smidgen of something that could suggest him. Though that itself is shaky.
The only "hint" is the Mii Costume theory and that is sort of dead after the lack of Geno costume

TriggerX

Smash Ace
You... you do realize that doesn't matter, right?

It went on to take influences from Banjo-Kazooie, at which point it went on to become a more successful franchise, but that's mostly because the PlayStation was a better console than the N64. The first Crash game wasn't well-received, relatively speaking. Neither was the second game. Do you realize that?

EDIT: Do not get me wrong, I would love Phoenix Wright, Viewtiful Joe or Resident Evil in Smash.
I doubt Nintendo is looking at these characters and denying them based on who holds a majority of their rights.
Although I’d rather not see another Capcom character, they do have some of the most recognized and unique representatives at their disposal like.

Also some of their series have been around long enough to pretty much be considered part of gaming history like Resident Evil.
As far as Dlc goes, capcom might be one of the easiest companies to deal with considering the amount of crossovers and dlc they provide to other companies.

I do believe Geno and Chocobo hat are missing for a reason, but I doubt we’ll find out until February.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman

So it appears random SKU numbers have popped up on GameStop's system.
I'd say a Nintendo Direct in September seems likely, since that seems to be what everyone is getting out of this. It'd probably cover Banjo and possibly the next DLC Fighter, since they have to reveal and release two more characters by February and I see Banjo's release date most likely being September. If Nintendo waits 2-3 months to release the next fighter when they reveal them and they reveal one next month, that hits just around the February deadline of when they said all the Fighter's Pass would be released.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I isn't the best when ut comes to technical stuff xD
Well, I do freight at night so I have to check SKUs almost every second during my shifts.

Edit: Well, I see this conversation won't go forward on this thread until I leave so I'll let you guys be.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Sorry, but why do you guys want Geno in smash so much? I’ve never played that game, and I’m not trying to deter you from this: I just don’t understand why you like him so much. Let’s put Shrek our father in smash first
I wanted to reply to this as well, since even reading some of the comments and researching Geno you may feel like "I don't get the hype." If you have some time, I would recommend watching this video. It does not highlight on why people are into Geno, but more of the topic of Hype of a character (Geno) and then goes into the topic of Transformation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xat4fFOey_4&t=41s

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Well, it just seems this fourm is moving faster when I'm not around. Not like everyone has to post something per minute, but it just seems that way too me.
It’s not a good look to throw a poopy diaper tantrum because you want people to respond to you immediately. Normally i’ll read through the thread frequently and respond later if theres something i want to add

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It’s not a good look to throw a poopy diaper tantrum because you want people to respond to you immediately. Normally i’ll read through the thread frequently and respond later if theres something i want to add
I'm not throwing a tantrum, I just feel like most of you guys don't want me around and just find me annoying for some reason.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

So it appears random SKU numbers have popped up on GameStop's system.
What's interesting is the number of different potential games being released that hasn't been titled yet. I am hoping one of those would be Metroid Prime Trilogy being ported over for Switch, it would be a good "place holder" before the release of Prime 4 that has been delayed.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Why would you assume that? From what I've seen, you've done nothing wrong.
It's just sometimes when I'm either writing a long post or just browsing through the pages, more than half or all of you guys will leave the thread.

Edit: I'm getting some rest before I go to work tonight, so I guess I'll see you guys tomorrow.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I was thinking today that I would really like it if Geno Whirl was simply a projectile version of Jigglypuff's rest, whereby you throw it out and there is a very specific moment in which the hurtbox from the Whirl overlaps with the character's hitbox and if you press B precisely at that moment, then you'll land a hit that is as strong as (or stronger) than Puff's rest.
Part of what makes rest balanced is the fact you have to be extremely close to the enemy to pull it off. A ranged version of it which has it's damage entirely based off your timing is both less punishable and easier to land. While i know balance isn't really something that bother sakurai to much in making characters, I still really don't want to see that.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's just sometimes when I'm either writing a long post or just browsing through the pages, more than half or all of you guys will leave the thread.
Well you got to take into account that people have jobs and lives outside of Smashboards. Maybe sometimes your comments will just get lost in the crowd of other comments which is especially the case in this Geno thread where everyone seems to have turned their attention to. You just have to expect that not everyone is going to be able to respond to you in time.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Geno Whirl's properties in Super Mario RPG really can't translate into Smash as is. It's a move designed to be a 1 hit KO to non-boss enemies if timed correctly. If that move was perfectly translated into Smash, it would be the most broken mechanic in the game.

Also keep in mind that moves in Smash from fighters are not translated into the game as they appear in their original context. Case in point, Jigglypuff's rest.

If Geno Whirl is a move, it most likely would use the "Time Hit" mechanic and deals bonus damage and knock back if the user presses B right when the "disk" hit's the target.

Granted, in a way that still reflects with SMRPG since the fighters in Smash could be considered "boss" type enemies that would be immune to the 1 Hit KO property.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Geno Whirl's properties in Super Mario RPG really can't translate into Smash as is. It's a move designed to be a 1 hit KO to non-boss enemies if timed correctly. If that move was perfectly translated into Smash, it would be the most broken mechanic in the game.

Also keep in mind that moves in Smash from fighters are not translated into the game as they appear in their original context. Case in point, Jigglypuff's rest.

If Geno Whirl is a move, it most likely would use the "Time Hit" mechanic and deals bonus damage and knock back if the user presses B right when the "disk" hit's the target.

Granted, in a way that still reflects with SMRPG since the fighters in Smash could be considered "boss" type enemies that would be immune to the 1 Hit KO property.
Exactly

Edit. Nintendo of Europe has confirmed that there will be videos being released with majoritet apparently being gamplay for games like Astral Chain , Luigis Mansion 3 and Links Awakening https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1163724893797736449?s=19

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Don't take it personally. This thread seems to move quite a bit at night when people get off work. Ironically, that's when I'm at home playing games or otherwise relaxing and so I typically don't check in here at all during those times. Then I log on the next morning and we're five pages away from where I left off. It happens.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Exactly

Edit. Nintendo of Europe has confirmed that there will be videos being released with majoritet apparently being gamplay for games like Astral Chain , Luigis Mansion 3 and Links Awakening https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1163724893797736449?s=19
Huh, that's a little strange that they're going all in on other videos like that this week. That could either be a very good thing in indicating that they have a lot of new stuff to talk about in a potential Direct... or a very bad thing that indicates a general Direct is still quite a ways off. It feels like Nintendo certainly should have a lot to talk about still (Stuff like Town, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Bayonetta 3, and even an update on Metroid stuff could easily work in addition to what I'm assuming would be new titles and ports...), but they've also got such a busy Fall 2019 that maybe Nintendo might pump the breaks on further announcements.

We might be moving the general Direct to October this time around. The last time we saw stuff like this was earlier this year when we get big information dumps in mid January and the general Direct didn't show up for another month later than when people were expecting...

Firox

Smash Master

What if they made it so that Geno Whirl only does 999% and insta-kills the opponent if you time the hit correctly when they're over 150%? That's a hell of a lot less broken than Judgment Hammer 9 or Thwack which can potentially kill at 0% and have pretty much a guaranteed kill over 70%. Not to mention that Geno Whirl would still require skill and a failure to block/dodge by the opponent instead of relying on RNG.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Huh, that's a little strange that they're going all in on other videos like that this week. That could either be a very good thing in indicating that they have a lot of new stuff to talk about in a potential Direct... or a very bad thing that indicates a general Direct is still quite a ways off. It feels like Nintendo certainly should have a lot to talk about still (Stuff like Town, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Bayonetta 3, and even an update on Metroid stuff could easily work in addition to what I'm assuming would be new titles and ports...), but they've also got such a busy Fall 2019 that maybe Nintendo might pump the breaks on further announcements.

We might be moving the general Direct to October this time around. The last time we saw stuff like this was earlier this year when we get big information dumps in mid January and the general Direct didn't show up for another month later than when people were expecting...
I don't think they're going to wait til October for a Direct frankly. These titles were already announced a good while back, and more than likely the September direct is going to focus on Nintendo Online if the SNES games rumor holds up and titles for the end of the year or next year like Bayonetta 3 and Shin Megami Tensei 5. I'm pretty sure we'll get it before or on the week of the Tokyo Game Show since apart from the Game Awards, is the last major gaming event of the year

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I think it's safe to say that if nothing else happens between now and the next Direct, we'll finally get our answer to what the starling really was.
I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but I can't see how that hint isn't related to Geno at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom