• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I've been thinking about it and I believe it's safe to say that the 5 DLC characters were decided upon within the first half of 2018 or earlier. It takes months to negotiate the rights to use these characters, it's not just something they could just sit down and hash it out in an afternoon. The idea that they just got the rights for 5 third party characters within the month of November is ridiculous. Especially if you consider that Hero is owned by 3 different companies.

I truly believe that early on they made a list of five characters that were going to be DLC and negotiation finally ended in November. Which honestly feels more likely that Spirits means a character isn't getting to be playable. They had to decide who the five DLC characters are so they can begin negotiations, so if it was early on they would have a solid idea of who was getting in (regarding if negotiations went smooth) so they could turn the other characters into Spirits for representation.

Plus we know each DLC character has their own special Spirit Board, so any series that's already represented pretty well like Xenoblade, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong and the others are out of the running because of how expansive their Spirits are. They need to make them seem special and the series I listed basically used up.all their characters, so all you're left with a runts for DLC Spirit Board.

If there's a bonus character then maybe a Spirit has a chance, but I don't think a bonus character is ever going to happen.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I don't think Sakurai likea the seasons, he seemed very hesitant to encourage us to buy the whole pass. I imagine we'll probably start seeing individual random releases without much fanfare so Sakurai can keep us in the dark.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've been thinking about it and I believe it's safe to say that the 5 DLC characters were decided upon within the first half of 2018 or earlier. It takes months to negotiate the rights to use these characters, it's not just something they could just sit down and hash it out in an afternoon. The idea that they just got the rights for 5 third party characters within the month of November is ridiculous. Especially if you consider that Hero is owned by 3 different companies.

I truly believe that early on they made a list of five characters that were going to be DLC and negotiation finally ended in November. Which honestly feels more likely that Spirits means a character isn't getting to be playable. They had to decide who the five DLC characters are so they can begin negotiations, so if it was early on they would have a solid idea of who was getting in (regarding if negotiations went smooth) so they could turn the other characters into Spirits for representation.

Plus we know each DLC character has their own special Spirit Board, so any series that's already represented pretty well like Xenoblade, Kirby, Metroid, Donkey Kong and the others are out of the running because of how expansive their Spirits are. They need to make them seem special and the series I listed basically used up.all their characters, so all you're left with a runts for DLC Spirit Board.

If there's a bonus character then maybe a Spirit has a chance, but I don't think a bonus character is ever going to happen.
Like I said, I think Piranha Plant was only a bonus DLC fighter because he was probably suppose to be in the base game due to him being the only DLC character to receive a Palutena's Guidance codex. They probably pushed Plant to the DLC lineup due to time constraints.

I don't think Sakurai likea the seasons, he seemed very hesitant to encourage us to buy the whole pass. I imagine we'll probably start seeing individual random releases without much fanfare so Sakurai can keep us in the dark.
But it's really up to Nintendo themselves if we are getting anymore Season Passes even if Sakurai doesn't want it. But I expect Nintendo to go along with whatever Sakurai wants to do.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
But it's really up to Nintendo themselves if we are getting anymore Season Passes even if Sakurai doesn't want it. But I expect Nintendo to go along with whatever Sakurai wants to do.
And Sakurai has openly stated that if Nintendo wants more DLC there will be more DLC

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Basically, he's not God. If he was president of NoJ, things would be different, so as head of a second-party he still must agree to quid pro quos.

Honestly, I think we're just going around in circles at this point, so time for a change of pace. Are there any indie games you'd like to see make the jump to Switch tomorrow?

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Honestly, I think we're just going around in circles at this point, so time for a change of pace. Are there any indie games you'd like to see make the jump to Switch tomorrow?
I wish Hiveswap or Hiveswap Friendsim could but that's probably never going to happen. ;_;
I guess I'll settle for FNaF on Switch since Scott mentioned working on ports pretty recently.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Basically, he's not God. If he was president of NoJ, things would be different, so as head of a second-party he still must agree to quid pro quos.

Isn't there a rumor about Ori being announced tomorrow?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
And Sakurai has openly stated that if Nintendo wants more DLC there will be more DLC
Uh, where?
As someone who almost always goes for the grass starter, I can relate. Describing it I would say it's less to fulfill a quota and more of being a supporter for a collective group of characters like how a sports fan cheers for a whole team rather than an individual.
Yeah if we're about "filling quotas" with the roster, where does it end? Do we need the fourth main playable Kirby character of recent memory? The rest of the StarFox cast? All of Sonic's main friends?
Plus Ivysaur is pretty darn close to fully evolved Grass starter anyway.
Is it bad that Incineroar made me want a Rhythm Heaven character based on his Side B's pseudo-rhythm mechanic?
I don't care who it is in particular, but if all their moves (or at least many) were based on timing like Incineroar's Side-B, I'd love to play that playstyle rather than any particular Rhythm Heaven character.
Not bad at all. Maybe there could be more Rhythm-associated takes on how Incineroar's Side B or WFT's Down B works, maybe also with a little visual assistance to the rhythm as well. Maybe some could "trap" the opponent as well while some are more in the open, balancing the power by having the moves need to be extremely telegraphed like Hero's Down Special stuff. And it could still be powerful without the timing, but a bit more powerful with the proper timing, not unlike how the puppet boi here himself works with timed hits in Smash Bros Crusade cause of Mario RPG.
I don't know if I agree with this sentiment at all. Ben Holt mentioned Rhythm Heaven, and that's pretty much the same case for me. Sure, I want Rhythm Girl or Karate Joe above all else, but getting ANY rep for one of my favorite franchises would make me so happy that I don't care who it is. It's the same case here, really. For certain characters you CAN'T just back one, because there's not one clear answer. Rhythm Heaven has no real main character, and there's no "quintessential grass starter." I screamed and hollered for Sceptile, I screamed and hollered for Decidueye, and I still do for both of them. I just don't do it as much because it does seem realistic anymore.

I would love to be proven wrong and see Sceptile get in, though.

Ivysaur is great and PT is my main but she just doesn't feel satisfying enough when she's lumped in with two more.
Yeah I'll literally take any Rhythm Paradise character at this point, lol. Chorus Kids were the one the Gemetsu leak suggested for Smash 4 and it obviously couldn't be Tibby because his game came out in 2015. There was this one theory that perhaps they mixed up Chorus Men and Chorus Man (more so if it was an English list they got it from, because man and men look more different in Japanese or whatever), meaning it was actually Marshall, who looks quite a lot like them anyway. If anything, it'd kinda make more sense as he was the main host of the then-most recent game Rhythm Paradise Beat the Beat (Rhythm Heaven Fever), to which a single Kid only cameo'd in within one of the endless games.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am going to go out on a limb here and agree with some of the speculation. I think Geno is coming and I think he won't be a Fighter Pass character but rather a late bonus add or separate character for sell. I think Sakurai knows the demand for Geno and he has a huge desire to make this his legacy.

I also don't think Sakurai is considering another Smash Brothers game. I think this is it. Sure, there will be future titles but probably by a different creator. Nintendo and Sakurai both will have a hard time topping Smash Ultimate.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I never speak about my models before i make them so i guess since most of you guys here love my models i have to say the next SMRPG 3D models that i MIGHT make are most likely Axem Green, Axem Pink, Punchinello, Manager/Clerk/Director, Exor but not sure if i would really do all of them during this year.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I never speak about my models before i make them so i guess since most of you guys here love my models i have to say the next SMRPG 3D models that i MIGHT make are most likely Axem Green, Axem Pink, Punchinello, Manager/Clerk/Director, Exor but not sure if i would really do all of them during this year.
OOOH, I'm looking forward to it, especially Punchinello!!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What your reaction will be like if Geno get's in? Mine would be like this guy:

Edit: What in the world?!! Mods come and delete these please.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gen 1 oversaturation.

You know, one has to wonder why there is free reign for everything except Pokémon (and, in a somewhat lesser case, Fire Emblem). For some reason there is only focus on picking a Pokémon or more from recent releases (even Fire Red/Leaf Green counts), and nothing else outside of that unless they're already a Smash veteran. Smash staff's even willing to completely skip entire gens in regards to recent roster picks.

>How society would look if Nintendo made Geno playable in Smash Bros
So... new F-Zero?
Fans will become so desperate for a new F-Zero sequel that they'll force civilization to evolve ten times faster to make it look like that series. :4pacman:

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Geno and Mallow showing up more outside of Smash would be nice. Though, I know many want Golden Sun and F-Zero to make comebacks

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Geno and Mallow showing up more outside of Smash would be nice. Though, I know many want Golden Sun and F-Zero to make comebacks
Something something Advance Wars my dude.

But honestly, I think either one of those 3 series coming back will benefit the others. I.e. if Advance Wars came back it would encourage a lot of F-Zero fans to be more vocal about wanting their series to return and Golden Sun returning would be good news for all dormant franchises.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Any love for Startropics here?

It's been gone for 25 years which is longer than both Advance Wars & Golden Sun combined.

Imagine in the year 1994 you just finished playing Startropics 2 and thought to yourself "ho boy I can't wait to play the sequel soon!".

I don't know how Startropics fans cope lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Any love for Startropics here?

It's been gone for 25 years which is longer than both Advance Wars & Golden Sun combined.

Imagine in the year 1994 you just finished playing Startropics 2 and thought to yourself "ho boy I can't wait to play the sequel soon!".

I don't know how Startropics fans cope lol.
There is a support thread for Mike Jones. But yeah, the Brawl chronicle is the most acknowledgement the series got besides those virtual ports.

I imagine that most of the old guard moved on, and that the current fans are generally recent.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
StarTropics is such a weird case. Being so American-centric in its pop culture and handling of the trends at the time is one thing, given Earthbound had that in spades, but the fact that it literally was a western exclusive is another. Did Japan ever get ST at any point down the line on VC or something? I know we did, but heck if I know for Japan.

I freaking love those games, though. I'd love to see Mike Jones return one day. I just think it's even unlikelier than seeing Geno return, even though Mike is first party rofl.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
StarTropics is such a weird case. Being so American-centric in its pop culture and handling of the trends at the time is one thing, given Earthbound had that in spades, but the fact that it literally was a western exclusive is another. Did Japan ever get ST at any point down the line on VC or something? I know we did, but heck if I know for Japan.

I freaking love those games, though. I'd love to see Mike Jones return one day. I just think it's even unlikelier than seeing Geno return, even though Mike is first party rofl.
As a matter of fact, no, they did not. It's as violently exclusive to the West like Famicom Detective Club is to Japan.

At least both fanbases can cry over each other's shoulders.

BZocky

Smash Ace
I’d just like to point out if Geno is a bonus character after the pass he’d be the 7th DLC fighter in Ultimate. Having the 6 prior reveals somehow tie into a reveal like that and Geno being the 7th “star” introduced would be perfect.

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I’d just like to point out if Geno is a bonus character after the pass he’d be the 7th DLC fighter in Ultimate. Having the 6 prior reveals somehow tie into a reveal like that and Geno being the 7th “star” introduced would be perfect.
That’s going to happen for sure! Probably no “Spirit pack” and maybe, no stage. But Geno + songs are totally coming. Hope the full set is complete; but if it’s only Geno, it would be like a dream come true. As long as Geno gets in, I’m totally paid.

I have full faith that he is coming playable, just wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom