• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Dang, I think I remember some dedicated Super Mario RPG sites but don't remember the names exactly. One of them I visited had a white background and similar SMRPG graphics at the top of the page. I came to visit around the time of the game's 10th anniversary, probably around the same time I joined the Geno Alliance. I'm thinking it may have been that same site or another one - I remember the petition for the GBA port was something I wanted really badly back then.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The game cost less than $30, it's a cheap game. Because it was cheap and didn't require that much power to play on PC is why it spread so quickly. It's like how Angry Birds was so popular because it was a free game on a device that almost everyone owns. Regardless just because a franchise is popular doesn't mean it should be in Smash Bros, because if that was the case then we should have series like Call of Duty, Grand Thief Auto V, Just Dance, Candy Crush, Fortnite, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, Madden, StarCraft, Counter-Strike, and Destiny in Smash Bros Ultimate because of how popular the series is.

Also didn't give me an example of how big Steve's popularity is, you gave me example of how popular Minecraft is. Most people don't care for Steve, why put an aspect of Minecraft that barely anyone cares about in Smash Bros? He's the face of Minecraft sure, but that doesn't change the fact that people don't care. There's a good reason why they didn't show Steve in Minecraft Dungeon, it wouldn't have made much of an impact.
Ah yes, because it was cheap means no one actually loves the game and so it spreading quickly is somehow a good excuse. Your point about the computer is also wrong, it's a CPU hog and even eats up GPU as just getting a better graphics card improves performance. Lower-end devices can still play but sometimes with annoying lag. My example I gave you was for a Steve in Smash Bros. moveset specifically, and if you're gonna keep claiming this stuff at least actually be part of the community because I already know what you're saying is wrong. Yes some Minecraft fans don't care about Steve but it's obvious a whole lot of people do care and want him in Smash, and as for non-Smash stuff, I even saw a guy in the comment section of one of the Minecraft youtube channel's videos complaining about how Alex seems to be getting more spotlight than Steve. Many people like Steve the same way they like Mario.

And I wasn't saying it should be in because it's popular, I was just trying to explain how it's a legitimate choice with Steve and how very many people love it and want it and Steve in Smash like these other characters, but y'all detractors keep saying this crap as if people don't actually like the game like they like Mario or whatever (when it's obvious they do) so heck I'm gonna explain its popularity.

Also please quit making assumptions when you haven't actually been around the community or the franchise much at all, I'm freaking tired of this made-up crap people keep spewing.

I guess we should all hate Mario and Pokémon because of how their popularity spread quickly so clearly people don't actually love the games they were just doing what everyone else was doing. Minecraft has been extremely popular for around a freaking decade, it's not some stupid fad.

edit: I also find it ridiculous to say Steve in Dungeons wouldn't have made as much of an impact. People loved it because of the gameplay and cool animation, if the trailers had Steve and Alex emoting it would've made just as much of an impact if not more because they'd finally be putting Steve and Alex in more stuff.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Ah yes, because it was cheap means no one actually loves the game and so it spreading quickly is somehow a good excuse. Your point about the computer is also wrong, it's a CPU hog and even eats up GPU as just getting a better graphics card improves performance. Lower-end devices can still play but sometimes with annoying lag. My example I gave you was for a Steve in Smash Bros. moveset specifically, and if you're gonna keep claiming this stuff at least actually be part of the community because I already know what you're saying is wrong. Yes some Minecraft fans don't care about Steve but it's obvious a whole lot of people do care and want him in Smash, and as for non-Smash stuff, I even saw a guy in the comment section of one of the Minecraft youtube channel's videos complaining about how Alex seems to be getting more spotlight than Steve. Many people like Steve the same way they like Mario.

And I wasn't saying it should be in because it's popular, I was just trying to explain how it's a legitimate choice with Steve and how very many people love it and want it and Steve in Smash like these other characters, but y'all detractors keep saying this crap as if people don't actually like the game like they like Mario or whatever (when it's obvious they do) so heck I'm gonna explain its popularity.

Also please quit making assumptions when you haven't actually been around the community or the franchise much at all, I'm freaking tired of this made-up crap people keep spewing.

I guess we should all hate Mario and Pokémon because of how their popularity spread quickly so clearly people don't actually love the games they were just doing what everyone else was doing. Minecraft has been extremely popular for around a freaking decade, it's not some stupid fad.
A Hat in Time was also $30 max at one point (now $20) so I guess I shouldn't prefer it over Super Mario Odyssey

Team Fortress 2 is literally free and Overwatch (literal trash) is $60. So I guess I should consider TF2 bad as well.

Joking aside, Minecraft deserves it's spot in Smash, as much as I like Banjo, it still shouldn't write off how important Minecraft would be to Smash. Besides, I'd take him over the likes of Dante, Lloyd, Sora or any other bland anime sword character at this point. Diamond Pick Axe user pls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Besides, I'd take him over the likes of Dante, Lloyd, Sora or any other bland anime sword character at this point. Diamond Pick Axe user pls.
>Steve uses a sword too
>Dante can use guns and a freaking motorcycle as weapons
>Sora has a good selection of magic attacks besides the Keyblade. Can also wield two of the latter.
>"AnImU wItH sWoRd BaD"

This ain't it.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Joking aside, Minecraft deserves it's spot in Smash, as much as I like Banjo, it still shouldn't write off how important Minecraft would be to Smash. Besides, I'd take him over the likes of Dante, Lloyd, Sora or any other bland anime sword character at this point. Diamond Pick Axe user pls.
Listen I'd take Steve over those characters too but I wouldn't call Dante a generic anime sword character he can use guns and motorcycles and a lot of other cool stuff too and his personality isn't what I'd call bland.

Sora while I don't like him has a lot of unique stuff he could do too and if Disney is able to they could use some Disney stuff and I don't know about you but I like Disney. Maybe it's not my favorite company but Sora could bring some neat Disney references with him and he could do some cool things even though I'm not a fan.

And Lloyd yeah I don't know much about him but that's besides the point I'd still prefer Steve much like you would.

D

Deleted member

inb4 that Geno and Steve leak is actually true. I'd take it honestly I think that would be a marvelous DLC line up.

While it's weird to Double dip not once but twice I'd be more than accepting of that line up.
What Geno and Steve leak?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If we can't have Dante because he has a sword we can't have Geno because we already have arm cannon users.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
What Geno and Steve leak?
https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/449923752/#449923752

This one it was made around February of this year and guessed Hero (Not Erdrick but specifically said Hero) and Banjo alongside it stating we'll get Steve and Geno. It said something like:
">Joker: P5 coming to switch
>Hero: Dragon Quest remastered versions
>Banjo: N64 Classic and a Rare exclusive game for the Switch
>Steve maybe 2020: Minecraft game for Switch and XB1
>Geno sure 2020: New Mario/Square game starring Geno"

I personally think it's fake but I'd actually really like this line-up.

D

Deleted member

This one it was made around February of this year and guessed Hero (Not Erdrick but specifically said Hero) and Banjo alongside it stating we'll get Steve and Geno. It said something like:

It's pretty obvious that it's fake, to be perfectly honest

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think the leak has a bit going for it given some information we know, but it could've also been easily faked tbh. The Rare Nintendo-exclusive game could even be something other than Banjo-Kazooie although it'd be weird to still work with XBox Live, unless they want to pull in Nintendo fans I guess...? Maybe something like what Dragon Quest is doing, I don't know, this does make me doubt the leak despite wanting it to be real.

There was the German Amazon listing a new Banjo-Kazooie Switch game, but it was probably just an error.

For what I think adds a bit of credibility:

-Minecraft Dungeons is coming in 2020, the delay being announced at or around E3
-DQ 11 S could be one of the "remastered" versions it's talking about, since the leak came before the announcement

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty obvious that it's fake, to be perfectly honest
Yeah no way is it real we pretty much brought it up cause we have nothing better to do currently it's just a waiting game for EVO. We may as well entertain the idea.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
>Steve uses a sword too
>Dante can use guns and a freaking motorcycle as weapons
>Sora has a good selection of magic attacks besides the Keyblade. Can also wield two of the latter.
>"AnImU wItH sWoRd BaD"

This ain't it.
I get the weapon Sora uses is referred to as a keyblade but to call what amounts to a giant skeleton key a sword is kinda inaccurate.
Also for those who don't know Lloyd wields two swords by default so there's definitely variety there.
Anyways feel free to go back to your Geno talk

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
It is most likely fake, but the line up so far has been correct both in name and order. If Steve is indeed announced next, maybe sometime this fall, then this "leak" would be more plausible. Granted, it could also be both a coincidence as well as good guessing.

I am not putting all my eggs in this basket due to too many burns.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

I mean, it's objectively fake given Persona 5 isn't coming to Switch and Dragon Quest isn't getting any remasters (11 is not a remaster, it's an enhanced port). The N64 Classic doesn't exist as far as we know and probably won't exist this year due to a myriad of issues and the fact that Nintendo doesn't really care about the Classic line of consoles and if such a thing was coming this year, it would have been revealed already. It's worth noting that the original poster puts "Hero" in but that's generically what people have translated that to at multiple points, so it doesn't actually indicate any real knowledge about Hero with four alts and his picture just includes Male and Female Erdrick, which would imply they just see Erdrick and Hero as interchangeable when that's not exactly the case (not to mention, nobody really gets points on a DQ character given how long this was generally known). I guess a Rare exclusive could be coming technically... but it sounds like a goddamn pipe dream that people concocted earlier this year regarding Banjo's big return and again, something like this would have likely already been revealed.

This post got wayyyyyy too overconfident in the information they were giving with this supposed leak. It's a bust straight up and down. Not one of the extra things has panned out besides, and this is a big maybe because generic "Minecraft" game doesn't really go anywhere, Dungeons. If these things were happening, we would have heard about at least one of them already.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean, it's objectively fake given Persona 5 isn't coming to Switch and Dragon Quest isn't getting any remasters (11 is not a remaster, it's an enhanced port). The N64 Classic doesn't exist as far as we know and probably won't exist this year due to a myriad of issues and the fact that Nintendo doesn't really care about the Classic line of consoles and if such a thing was coming this year, it would have been revealed already. It's worth noting that the original poster puts "Hero" in but that's generically what people have translated that to at multiple points, so it doesn't actually indicate any real knowledge about Hero with four alts and his picture just includes Male and Female Erdrick, which would imply they just see Erdrick and Hero as interchangeable when that's not exactly the case (not to mention, nobody really gets points on a DQ character given how long this was generally known). I guess a Rare exclusive could be coming technically... but it sounds like a goddamn pipe dream that people concocted earlier this year regarding Banjo's big return and again, something like this would have likely already been revealed.

This post got wayyyyyy too overconfident in the information they were giving with this supposed leak. It's a bust straight up and down. Not one of the extra things has panned out besides, and this is a big maybe because generic "Minecraft" game doesn't really go anywhere, Dungeons. If these things were happening, we would have heard about at least one of them already.
This is all true tbh.

Back to moping I mean campaigning, yeah!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Consider the following.

Capcom Dante is still miles above Ninja Theory's "edgy foul-mouthed self-insert fic character" Dante.

It is most likely fake, but the line up so far has been correct both in name and order. If Steve is indeed announced next, maybe sometime this fall, then this "leak" would be more plausible. Granted, it could also be both a coincidence as well as good guessing.

I am not putting all my eggs in this basket due to too many burns.
Every text leak on 4Chan is false until proven otherwise. Far from being a Grinch case, really.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
If I may about that leak, has anyone ever gotten Persona 5 Scramble? I cannot name one credible person that leaked or called Scramble. I might be forgetting Sabi if they did, but I am certain they did not. So saying that any past leak that looked decent but got busted when P5 on Switch didn't happen seems odd IF no one called Scramble before hand.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Every leak is wrong until proven otherwise, so stating that before someone points that out lol.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman

A Rare exclusive game kills this. I could maybe see a Rare game coming to Nintendo, but Microsoft using their first party studios resources to develop a game not on their own console? No way.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
If I may about that leak, has anyone ever gotten Persona 5 Scramble? I cannot name one credible person that leaked or called Scramble. I might be forgetting Sabi if they did, but I am certain they did not. So saying that any past leak that looked decent but got busted when P5 on Switch didn't happen seems odd IF no one called Scramble before hand.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Every leak is wrong until proven otherwise, so stating that before someone points that out lol.
As far as I know, nobody called Persona 5 Scramble... BUT, every leak circulating at that time was downright determined that Persona 5 Switch was happening and it would be the proper main game, which didn't pan out in the slightest. Sony seems to have a pretty distinct vice grip on the mainline Persona games as of right now. I don't see how a leaker would mistake Scramble for proper Persona 5 when they're extremely distinctive from one another and it's a big distinction that should be grounds to discount leaks. Not to mention, basically every "leaker" goes all in on multiple bull**** points that don't pan out, so even if the Persona wasn't enough to sink them on its own (And it absolutely is unless all you legitimately knew was the Persona 5 S name and made a whole bunch of assumptions like people were doing at the time, in which case, you didn't have any special knowledge since Persona 5 S and R were known entities by February), it becomes one of multiple strikes against their specific leak in that moment

Firox

Smash Master

It probably IS fake, and I'm not a huge fan of Steve, but if I had to take him alongside Geno, I would be totally fine with that.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
I also find it ridiculous to say Steve in Dungeons wouldn't have made as much of an impact. People loved it because of the gameplay and cool animation, if the trailers had Steve and Alex emoting it would've made just as much of an impact if not more because they'd finally be putting Steve and Alex in more stuff.
Cool animation? Are we looking at the right trailer? Minecraft Dungeon, right? This is the most basic motion you'll see during an alpha build of a video game, except that's the final product. It's stylized I'll give it that, but "cool" is the last word I would describe the animation of Minecraft Dungeon.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cool animation? Are we looking at the right trailer? Minecraft Dungeon, right? This is the most basic motion you'll see during an alpha build of a video game, except that's the final product. It's stylized I'll give it that, but "cool" is the last word I would describe the animation of Minecraft Dungeon.
Considering the series is block-based, I think it works perfectly.

I'll be fair too; cool is subjective. But I'm in the boat that thinks Steve fits in just fine with Smash, due to it having a variety of designs and characters. He doesn't stand out, especially when he's more or less just what happens when you combine Wario and Mr. Game & Watch's janky animations. I also feel those janky animations are a pretty neat idea, and better than trying to force him to have a more realistic design. The only thing I think should be done is using his box art design, which is more colorful, for his main alt. I think his darker design in Minecraft proper does stick out a bit. It'd look great in Brawl, but not in 4 or Ultimate, which is wayyyyyy more colorful as a focus. More or less akin to Smash 64.

MemeSaucy

Smash Cadet

Same here but everything that it ties in has been debunked so far

AugustusB

Smash Champion
As far as I know, nobody called Persona 5 Scramble... BUT, every leak circulating at that time was downright determined that Persona 5 Switch was happening and it would be the proper main game, which didn't pan out in the slightest. Sony seems to have a pretty distinct vice grip on the mainline Persona games as of right now. I don't see how a leaker would mistake Scramble for proper Persona 5 when they're extremely distinctive from one another and it's a big distinction that should be grounds to discount leaks. Not to mention, basically every "leaker" goes all in on multiple bull**** points that don't pan out, so even if the Persona wasn't enough to sink them on its own (And it absolutely is unless all you legitimately knew was the Persona 5 S name and made a whole bunch of assumptions like people were doing at the time, in which case, you didn't have any special knowledge since Persona 5 S and R were known entities by February), it becomes one of multiple strikes against their specific leak in that moment
On the highlighted part of this quote, we did have one credible leaker claim one thing, but wasn't 100% correct. The example is Tansut claiming Erdrick from his source even though he never clarified what his source meant by Dragon Quest Rep. Instead he assumed it was Erdrick, never got corrected and remained as Erdrick for the DQ Rep. Now to be completely honest, he was technically right, but failed to clarify with his source 100%.

This could be a situation where someone was only given Persona 5 S. Thus, had to assume it was Main game on Switch. (Hypothethically, of course)

Again, I do not believe this leak personally, but kind of fun to speculate.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Alpharad used it too. He used it at the end of his video "ENDGAME: Level 9 CPU Tournament."
I wouldn't know that because I don't watch him anymore. Haven't for months.

No offense meant to him or his brand or fans, but he just isn't that funny and his content got stale. It was around the time that Convict got introduced that I realized that he tries so hard to be funny and most things that end up being amusing about his content are happenstance and not him. So I unsubbed from him after that realization that anyone could do what he does and do it better or provide something he can't and I've never looked back. Last time I heard of him was Nairo's vid where he slapped his DK Amiibo FP.

Years of watching YouTube and seeing it change lets you tell quality from not-so-quality. Maybe that's change by now, but eh.

Also, when I said FC, I meant FaceClaim because I grew up in the online forum roleplay community!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I wouldn't know that because I don't watch him anymore. Haven't for months.

No offense meant to him or his brand or fans, but he just isn't that funny and his content got stale. It was around the time that Convict got introduced that I realized that he tries so hard to be funny and most things that end up being amusing about his content are happenstance and not him. So I unsubbed from him after that realization that anyone could do what he does and do it better or provide something he can't and I've never looked back. Last time I heard of him was Nairo's vid where he slapped his DK Amiibo FP.

Years of watching YouTube and seeing it change lets you tell quality from not-so-quality. Maybe that's change by now, but eh.

Also, when I said FC, I meant FaceClaim because I grew up in the online forum roleplay community!
Hah! I grew up as a roleplayer, too. High-five!

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797

I definitely wouldn’t be mad at it. :lol:

622FDD3E-CC2E-445A-BDDC-1A4B626B0C13.gif

Last edited:

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
Okay so I just want all of your opinions on this with the given evidence we have for both sides of the argument when do you think Hero will release, Before or after EVO? Personally I feel like it'll be after EVO or during it. I just have that gut feeling that's telling me Hero isn't coming until after EVO wraps up with all the evidence we've been going over I think it's starting to look more likely around then and if he doesn't come out this week then I definitely think that's the case.

What about you all when do you think we'll get Hero before or after EVO?

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Okay so I just want all of your opinions on this with the given evidence we have for both sides of the argument when do you think Hero will release, Before or after EVO? Personally I feel like it'll be after EVO or during it. I just have that gut feeling that's telling me Hero isn't coming until after EVO wraps up with all the evidence we've been going over I think it's starting to look more likely around then and if he doesn't come out this week then I definitely think that's the case.

If it's not in the next few days, it'll be after EVO is my guess. I sincerely doubt he'll release before then if it isn't very, very soon.

AugustusB

Smash Champion

I absolutely believe Hero will be dropped after EVO. Though I would love to be wrong, but with that 'tease' from the Ambassador makes me think there will be more than just Hero to talk about. So after the fact is more likely.

The follow up to this is, will Nintendo announce a Smash Direct (or what have you) after EVO? Doubtful, but the fact they are closing it for the first time ever (I believe) than maybe?

Correction: Melee closed 2006, but was also the first time it appeared at EVO.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Bad animation? This video shows the best way to handle Steve as a fighter. Minecraft is alright at best to me but saying he couldn't work is bull crap. https://youtu.be/akMjMxXEpTY
Steve has a lot to offer and he is very much a gaming icon. People may not care for him all that much but he is definitely iconic as the face of Minecraft. All in all, he could work and he would make a lot of money because it's Minecraft and that game has been getting huge again thanks to people like PewDiePie and Vanoss and plenty of other YouTubers. Steve is a very viable choice that doesn't have to look bad or be broken to fit into the Smash formula. Besides, the Fighter's Pass is about well-requested characters with new things to diversify the roster. Steve having an almost sandbox-like arsenal would be very fitting for his character and make him incredibly unique. I would pay for a character that brings something fresh to the fight, regardless of his history or popularity.

I never understood why people would reference this video of why Steve would work in the game. HIS CROUCH IS BARELY LOWER THAN HIS RUNNING ANIMATION FFS

Are there any updates on when we may expect Hero beyond "July"?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Hah! I grew up as a roleplayer, too. High-five!
Sometimes I still say 'nice avvy' in terms of Avatar versus saying profile pic.

*old man impression*

Errr...back in MY day we communicated via MSN Messenger and would buzz the **** outta the other person if they stopped talking. And if they never came back, that was the end. Also if mom answered the phone, you were sunk until she got off it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Jon of Gamexplain seemingly hinted that it'll be right after EVO ends.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
A Rare exclusive game kills this. I could maybe see a Rare game coming to Nintendo, but Microsoft using their first party studios resources to develop a game not on their own console? No way.
Exactly. We are getting Banjo & Kazooie on all three consoles before we get Banjo & Kazooie exclusive on Switch while Microsoft is owning them. The only way Banjo & Kazooie would be exclusive on Switch is if Nintendo downright buys the rights to Banjo & Kazooie. Maybe it could happen, but I highly doubt that. Granted, I think it's obvious for both Microsoft and Nintendo were the demand and fanbase for those two are after the reveal... The only thing that is more than likely to come to Switch is the remakes of the N64 games

At this point, I would not be surprised about either.

I never understood why people would reference this video of why Steve would work in the game. HIS CROUCH IS BARELY LOWER THAN HIS RUNNING ANIMATION FFS
Agreed. Steve might work in Smash Brothers, but that video is a horrible proof for it.

Last edited:

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
You gotta keep in mind that Smash is a FIGHTING game, where subtle animations are EXTREMELY important. Things like jump-squatting, logical intangibility frames on rolls, etc. are vital.

Maybe you can think of a way to have Steve crouch that wouldn't look completely abysmal, but he'd also need expressive articulation. And G&W is a poor counter-argument, as he has MORE articulation than Steve to begin with.

Has anyone considered the possibility that the Geno costume gets shown off in Hero's release trailer SPECIFICALLY to throw us off the scent?

Like, if Sakurai and co. KNOW that we're all looking to the return/update of Geno's Mii Costume as an indicator of Geno's inclusion, maybe they intentionally include an updated Geno costume with Hero in order to make us think he's out of the running, only to surprise us down the line?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom