• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hey guys, what is going on?

EDIT: Happy 1100th page!
Not much. The Discord with Sabi's source is split on whether or not Hero will actually come before EVO. A lot of us are doubting this coming week because of Fire Emblem next Friday but Nintendo almost never does major presentations the last week of the month outside of things like Pokemon Day so it's hard to say.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Not much. The Discord with Sabi's source is split on whether or not Hero will actually come before EVO. A lot of us are doubting this coming week because of Fire Emblem next Friday but Nintendo almost never does major presentations the last week of the month outside of things like Pokemon Day so it's hard to say.
Wait, do you mean EVO itself or the cutoff date for new updates? Because I though we had already passed the cutoff.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The actual event. About half of us believe that Nintendo will drop another presentation announcement before the Finals like they did last year. I guess they could technically do both... Release Hero in July and make an announcement at EVO. I dunno. I'm waiting until Wednesday before I start making serious bets.

Wait, I'm an idiot... I'll talk about my epiphany once someone else posts.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
The actual event. About half of us believe that Nintendo will drop another presentation announcement before the Finals like they did last year. I guess they could technically do both... Release Hero in July and make an announcement at EVO. I dunno. I'm waiting until Wednesday before I start making serious bets.

Wait, I'm an idiot... I'll talk about my epiphany once someone else posts.
I'll post so you can share. wonk ;)

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Well, Joker was dropped randomly since people never saw it coming. For Hero, we knew for half a year, so he needs to be announced and scheduled a month in advance down to the exact minute, telling people through Twitter, interviews, flyers, sky writing, etc. So the opposite of Joker.

Heroker. You'll never not unsee it non-coming.

Wish7s

Smash Cadet
I firmly believe we're getting something at EVO because of how big it is for Ultimate (almost 3,500 people playing,) probably a direct but we could also get a character (someone like Heihachi would be fitting although I could care less about him getting in.)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Okay so, who says that Hero has to be showcased by himself? Think about it. Characters that debut together usually have their showcases together too. Roy and Ryu had theirs together. Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo had all theirs together. Inceniroar and Ken had theirs together. The fact that Hero and Banjo both had trailers together shows that both are pretty far along. Most people predict Banjo for October which is roughly the same amount of time now between Cloud and Corrin/Bayo. It would be super easy to create a Smash Direct based on this and make more sense than showcasing them separately in different presentations.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Okay so, who says that Hero has to be showcased by himself? Think about it. Characters that debut together usually have their showcases together too. Roy and Ryu had theirs together. Cloud, Corrin, and Bayo had all theirs together. Inceniroar and Ken had theirs together. The fact that Hero and Banjo both had trailers together shows that both are pretty far along. Most people predict Banjo for October which is roughly the same amount of time now between Cloud and Corrin/Bayo. It would be super easy to create a Smash Direct based on this and make more sense than showcasing them separately in different presentations.
That logic does make sense. Especially since Banjo seems to be a bit far along in his development cycle, only to a certain degree though.
especially since we know they've been working on both Hero and Banjo since launch alongside Joker and Piranha Plant...

Last edited:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
I never thought about this, but it does make a lot of sense now that I've seen it. If this happens, then it would definitely have to be during some type of direct and not another Joker-like video seeing as they'd cover two characters instead of one plus (maybe) another mode. With how far along Hero and Banjo are, it gets me wondering if they've already started working on Fighter #4, which I think they probably already have.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
I never thought about this, but it does make a lot of sense now that I've seen it. If this happens, then it would definitely have to be during some type of direct and not another Joker-like video seeing as they'd cover two characters instead of one plus (maybe) another mode. With how far along Hero and Banjo are, it gets me wondering if they've already started working on Fighter #4, which I think they probably already have.
They did mention they were ahead of schedule in their work so... Maybe? If I remember correctly.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
While I still don't necessarily think a Direct is necessary at this point (we'll agree to disagree to everyone who wants to say something there since I imagine it won't be go anywhere hopeful), I do think that a Direct level segment for Smash specifically could indicate a lot of things:
  1. Banjo Kazooie is releasing sooner than we thought. A Smash Direct would likely need additional content to justify being a full length Direct, and a breakdown of Banjo Kazooie makes a lot of sense in such a scenario. The duo seemed to be well in development and thus wouldn't be too unprecedented for a release sooner rather than later. Especially with how long we go without a Hero release, we may be seeing a much quicker turnaround on Hero to Banjo Kazooie given what we've seen already.
  2. A mode greater than just Home Run Contest. I know we like to joke about how much Sakurai can say about anything, but Home Run Contest is barely going to hold up more than a minute long segment in any potential Smash presentation. You can't really go all that into the mode like you could Stage Builder. If there's a greater mode coming to the game, perhaps a substantial one, then that might warrant a full Direct (though Stage Builder was sizable and still ended up in the shadow drop).
  3. It creates the expectation of a character reveal. Every Smash focused Direct has had a character reveal as far as I know, so in theory a new one would follow suit... even if I think the current situation might not necessarily call for one yet and thus create false expectations when it could just be focused on other stuff non-character reveal related. It's an undeniable trend, but it still feels super early to be going in on another DLC character, so I'm really unsure of how to read that situation though an Echo might make the most sense here too. But I'll theorize that's likely the deciding factor between a "New Content Approaching" trailer and a Direct, what or rather who gets revealed.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
That’s a very valid point. We had both Hero and Banjo announced at the same time. Sm4sh announced multiple DLC fighters. It is not out of the realm of possibilities especially since we are getting close to February’s cut off. Hmmmm, very interesting!

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
You know, seeing there a chance that The Hero will get the same treatment as Joker by having a Smash Showcase it's possible that right when EVO finish the Smash Bros Ultimate tournament they drop the video.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
(someone like Heihachi would be fitting although I could care less about him getting in.)
I still think he's not making it this time. His latest voice actor died, and he showed up in Pac-Man's taunt, too...And I doubt The Prince is playable too, because why would Namco foreshadow characters via a taunt, of all things?

Besides, they don't necessarily need the next character to be fighting series-related, since Smash is already about various characters fighting each other. :psycho:

Hmm, that makes sense.

Although I somehow expect this theory to be shot down too, since we don't know if BK got slightly less progress than Hero. Plus the DLC news pattern may not be held up like last game. Anything could happen.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I keep hoping the hero’s inclusion as dlc won’t hurt Genos chances, but I can’t shake the feeling sometimes that square won’t allow another one of their characters and that maybe all we get is the geno Mii costume again along with two music tracks given those copyright notices last week. Maybe I’m just overthinking it. Any objections?

Nicnac

Smash Ace
I keep hoping the hero’s inclusion as dlc won’t hurt Genos chances, but I can’t shake the feeling sometimes that square won’t allow another one of their characters and that maybe all we get is the geno Mii costume again along with two music tracks given those copyright notices last week. Maybe I’m just overthinking it. Any objections?
Why wouldn't Square allow several characters as DLC? It's literally free money for them.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm honestly only expecting the costume. I don't think the music copyright notices mean anything.

Why wouldn't Square allow several characters as DLC? It's literally free money for them.
Because they're Square, rofl.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing that the The Ninja Warriors Again HD remake is coming next month, it got me to think…

Since Taito is owned by SE, do you folks think that Bubble Bobble's Bub and The Ninja Warriors' Ninja (not the most creative name, I know) can be seen as candidates by fans in the future?

I maintain that the only thing that gets in Geno's way is Square not feeling like having him used. Even Einhander got to do more in their games, for crying out loud.

At least Enix seems somewhat reasonable to work with.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Seeing that the The Ninja Warriors Again HD remake is coming next month, it got me to think…

Since Taito is owned by SE, do you folks think that Bubble Bobble's Bub and The Ninja Warriors' Ninja (not the most creative name, I know) can be seen as candidates by fans in the future?

I maintain that the only thing that gets in Geno's way is Square not feeling like having him used. Even Einhander got to do more in their games, for crying out loud.

At least Enix seems somewhat reasonable to work with.
Honestly, I doubt we'll get that far in Square's lineup before they either stop supporting Smash, or the series sees major cuts. Square Enix just has too many IPs, much like Capcom, for a great deal of them to make it in. It's why I think we'll honestly be a bit lucky to get Geno at all, let alone retain him, Cloud, and Hero for future entries.

ShotoStar 2

Smash Journeyman
I say if there's any company out there that would allow two of their characters as DLC it would be Square. Square loves their money and Cloud being DLC last game must've made them boat loads of money so I wouldn't put it past them to want more characters as DLC so if Nintendo approached them about wanting Geno and a Dragon Quest rep in Smash I doubt they'd say no.

But what do I know I'm just theorizing here..

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
No, I think when it comes to the Fighters Pass they're just going to get only one character for each third party is include. I don't think we'll get another Sega, Microsoft or Square Enix character as the last two Fighters.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Geno isn't likely for DLCs in this round of Smash 5 since he isn't from an unused franchise.

But like said, Geno is not technically a representive of any Square game franchise at this point. His inclusion wouldn't really conflict with other Square representives in my opinion. He would just occupy a Mario rep slot but just with Square's permission if possible. So same for Smash 6 you may think we will get both Geno and and a new Square rep like Lara or Chrono.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I mean, it’s still possible that we get the mii costume on top of a few SMRPG tracks.
A few music tracks? Just thrown in there for free? From Square? After Yoko Shimomura, who is on the team, apparently couldn't put them in the base game?

That, good sir, is a funny joke.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
What the heck? People who are campaigning for Goku or a DBZ character ought to campaign for Geno instead. We have a look-alike in terms of Erdrick particularly (or as close as we'll get), so let's get the abilities in there through our star boy. :laugh:
DUDE. CALM. DOWN. I wasn't voting for Goku being in Smash or anything! I was saying that Geno Beam looks similar to Final Flash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
DUDE. CALM. DOWN. I wasn't voting for Goku being in Smash or anything! I was saying that Geno Beam looks similar to Final Flash.
Um, that is not at all what she was saying. Like, at all. She's not even angry or anything in that post. Why do you think she's upset or something?

Dan

Smash Lord
Still beyond upset I can't use Smash 64 menu sounds for Ultimate's menu. It's the only one you can't select ;_;
I didn't even know you could do this... that's awesome.

And that is the cue for this conversation to cease. Don't know if the rule layed out by @Ahm Skittish! is still in play, but conversing about you know who is still a bad idea. Just getting that out there right away.
Who is "you know who"? The plant, Corrin or Bayonetta?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Who is "you know who"? The plant, Corrin or Bayonetta?
I bolded it in the quote. No more will be said on that because we are doing a "He Who Should Not Be Named" because of this threads history with the topic being really bad.

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Geno isn't likely for DLCs in this round of Smash 5 since he isn't from an unused franchise.

But like said, Geno is not technically a representive of any Square game franchise at this point. His inclusion wouldn't really conflict with other Square representives in my opinion. He would just occupy a Mario rep slot but just with Square's permission if possible. So same for Smash 6 you may think we will get both Geno and and a new Square rep like Lara or Chrono.
Why do people keep saying that? They said something not seen in Smash before. That doesn't specifically mean a new franchise. It could just as easily mean a mechanic that isn't already implemented massively. Hero with JRPG commands, Joker with Arsene, Banjo with gold feathers, etc. I feel like that's the far more likely explanation because it sounds dumb to not implement new mechanics just to pay for more same-style boring characters. I know that's not entirely what you meant by that but still. It's annoying.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Why do people keep saying that? They said something not seen in Smash before. That doesn't specifically mean a new franchise. It could just as easily mean a mechanic that isn't already implemented massively. Hero with JRPG commands, Joker with Arsene, Banjo with gold feathers, etc. I feel like that's the far more likely explanation because it sounds dumb to not implement new mechanics just to pay for more same-style boring characters. I know that's not entirely what you meant by that but still. It's annoying.
To clarify, I say that is because we acknowlede Geno as part of Mario franchise and history, so he would not be a character with brand new background since we would not deny his origin from Mario games.

The closest thing from the current DLC fighters that Geno can compare with is Banjo's root in Mario universe. Just his references are majorly from his own featured games so it's difficult to say if Geno is gonna be as original as Banjo in references.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I know this may seem to be a tad random, but which side would certain SMRPG characters take when it comes to the final splatfest: Team Chaos or Team Order? I ask this because I just found out about the Splatoon cameo's in Mario Maker 2 and was thinking about how the Mario cast would choose when it comes to this final Splatfest.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I know this may seem to be a tad random, but which side would certain SMRPG characters take when it comes to the final splatfest: Team Chaos or Team Order? I ask this because I just found out about the Splatoon cameo's in Mario Maker 2 and was thinking about how the Mario cast would choose when it comes to this final Splatfest.
Since Geno and Mallow are often associated in pairs, let me go ahead and give my take on them. It's probably gonna be like, "Wait, what are you talking about?" but bear with me here.

Mallow = Team Order
Geno = Team Chaos

Why, though? Why Geno in Chaos? How does that work?

Well, Mallow has a new role to take as the prince of Nimbus Land, and, as a fiercely determined boy, he is darn sure to fight for order and peace for his people. He may be young, but he wants to do his parents and his ol' adoptive gramps proud. I always imagined Mallow wanting to steep himself in wisdom and philosophy thanks to Frogfucius' influence, as well, so he'd make for a gentler, orderly, and intelligent king in the future. At least, that's what he strives to be.

What about Geno, though? Geno in Chaos makes the least sense, right? Well... no. Let me tell you why.

Geno is a character that, as I headcanon him, has an obvious divide of interests: his duties and his social life. He keeps himself rather orderly and composed, but you can tell that there is someone cheerier, more enthusiastic, and dare I say, maybe even more youthful beneath that surface. I could see Geno being the type to have not had much of a 'childhood', being raised from Starborn Valley to ascend to Star Haven for a huge position as Star Road's newest sentry. Being thrust into that, he had to grow up pretty fast, but it also meant that fragments of that childish star kid is still in there. He has a role to upkeep and an important place in the universe... but he still wants to be able to let loose sometimes. He wants to be free as the wind, able to see his friends whenever he wants, whether his higher authority (the Star Spirits?) approves of this or not. He maintains his ground when it comes to protecting Star Road, but he potentially defies his elders (in my headcanon, he sure darn does) and allows himself a life of his own, a life as the person he wants to be and not just a soldier. He wants to laugh, play, and enjoy life as much as the next guy. After all, stars have wishes, too.

So, why Geno for Chaos? Because it's essentially a fun change of pace, and going a little wild for a while would sate that thirst for something more, something a touch more selfish.

I have a whole massive image of Geno, his personality, and his backstory in my head, so forgive me if some of this doesn't make sense, haha. It's probably better with context, which, uh... would be a freaking novella if I typed it all up. Expanding on characters with little canon to work with is my JAM.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Geno is Order with Mallow and Valentina. Booster and all the Smithy gang are chaos.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Geno is Order with Mallow and Valentina. Booster and all the Smithy gang are chaos.
gonna second this. Geno is the most lawful good character the mario universe has outside of maybe the star sprites, that being said the two sides are shown off as exaggerated extremes so I don't really see any of the protagonists on either.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
gonna second this. Geno is the most lawful good character the mario universe has outside of maybe the star sprites, that being said the two sides are shown off as exaggerated extremes so I don't really see any of the protagonists on either.
I have to say that it's interesting to see how straight and lawful people see Geno, and while I understand that take, I'm such a huge fan of putting twists on characters. I guess I'm an odd one out here, haha.

Thinking about it, though, if Geno's character did get expanded upon, what would you want to see out of him? What would be his conflicts, his strengths, his shortcomings, etc.? Very curious to see what people think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom