• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's so unfortunate that there's in-fighting for specific company fandoms when they're supposed to be supportive of each other. The Smash characters are treated like a big family, so why can't they be one too?

I apologize for my fellow Geno fans who are so ridiculously spiteful over Sora. Doesn't matter why, only that they are.

As someone who used to be a Kingdom Hearts fan before KH3, I also wanted Sora in the game and in some ways still wouldn't mind seeing him.

Here's to Sora hopefully making it into Smash, and here's to hoping that the hateful Geno Bros here grow up and stop acting like typical Smash Trash that we do our best to be better than.
Maybe that'll change someday, at least the BK and Steve fans stopped fighting each other while ignoring the rest of the Microsoft characters.

On an unrelated note, I'm still confused why the whole Bayonetta thing is such a topic of conversation for the community. Like it's certainly intriguing to a degree, sure, but I'm confused as to why she still gets so much salt when Ultimate exists and put a ton of fan requested characters in. We basically got the best of both worlds, Bayonetta and the fan favorites in. And for all we know the Ballot could have started with the intention of putting a "realizable" character in as the final one beyond Bayonetta, but the months in between the ballot and her release led to Nintendo deciding to move on and just put all of the resources towards the next console. It may just be that Bayonetta was never intended to be the final character... But it's also possible she was a popular pick that Nintendo could realize easily enough, so they went with her. Again, what does it really matter almost four years later when pretty much everything else has happened anyway thanks to Ultimate haha?
Yeah, if I recall correctly, during the New York showing for the EVERYONE IS HERE trailer, people actually booed when Bayonetta came up. People really should just let go of a petty grudge. Then again, they have trouble letting go of things in general (*cough*Melee*cough*).

Dang it Wii U, I blame it for making things die too fast. :p Thankfully they got all the time in the world with the Switch now, dev-wise.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Honestly, if they said Cloud won the ballot, I doubt anyone would have questioned it to the same level as Bayonetta, even if there were shenanigans behind the scenes.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly, if they said Cloud won the ballot, I doubt anyone would have questioned it to the same level as Bayonetta, even if there were shenanigans behind the scenes.
I think people stuck too much on that "winning" part. They never said the character with most votes was automatically going to be our last DLC character. Ballot was obviously a suggestion box than anything.

That being said, Bayonetta probably still got her fair share of voters. They said she got the highest amount of votes among the characters they can add via DLC, not the highest amount of votes, period.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think people stuck too much on that "winning" part. They never said the character with most votes was automatically going to be our last DLC character. Ballot was obviously a suggestion box than anything.

That being said, Bayonetta probably still got her fair share of voters. They said she got the highest amount of votes among the characters they can add via DLC, not the highest amount of votes, period.
I look at it this way;

Bayonetta was chosen to be in.

Bayonetta also happened to be in the top five most highly voted characters.

They don't necessarily correlate either. Besides, Sakurai never actually said anyone won the ballot, for reasons you stated. It's more like we have multiple winners. It's still possible Bayonetta was chosen due to the ballot be playable, of course. Funny thing is if they said Cloud "won" it, it'd be an actual lie. He was chosen completely unrelated to that. We literally don't have a clear statement on Bayo's choosing in comparison. And frankly, even if Bayonetta did get in due to the ballot, it'd still make sense because it was made pretty clear why it worked out. Top 5 worldwide overall, number 1 in Europe, and also one of the characters that are realizable. Those are all factors to take into account. Besides that, Sakurai doesn't just add the character with the most votes either. Popularity isn't the entire point. There's always more to think about than pure numbers. If I remember right, Alucard was the most named Castlevania character, but Castlevania as a whole got a ton of votes. He went with a pair to not only appeal to both sides of the world, but because the protagonists are also some of the most recognizable and wanted alone. They're the big two among the franchise. More or less a Marth situation, if you will.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I feel like Bayonetta would have went better if they didn't frame her as being the most top requested character in the world* and instead just made her a normal DLC announcement not attached to the ballot. Pretty sure calling Cloud the ballot winner would have worked out better.
*From a list of characters they could use which could have been only 2 characters for all we know.

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Mii Gunner whenever I don't play as Dedede in an attempt to get good with the character.

Even if Geno doesn't get his own DLC slot, as long as the costume comes along I'm still gonna play as my boy.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Just saying, but can the Sora fan bashing stop now?

It's getting on my last nerve. We Geno fans get a lot of heat and get stereotyped just for liking Geno, and it upsets us when it happens... yet we dish it out on Sora's fans? Sure, some of them are jerks. I won't deny that. However, anecdotal evidence of your experiences with Sora's fans being poor doesn't mean that all of his fans are *****. Some of Geno's fans are rude and toxic, as well. It doesn't mean that all of us are bad, just as it means that not all of Sora's fans are bad. I know a lot of friendly people who love KH and would adore seeing Sora in Smash, people who would disapprove of the behavior being cited here ad nauseum.

If we want to be given that respect, we need to give that respect in return. No exceptions. I don't mean to be the Geno police, but come on.

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Just saying, but can the Sora fan bashing stop now?

It's getting on my last nerve. We Geno fans get a lot of heat and get stereotyped just for liking Geno, and it upsets us when it happens... yet we dish it out on Sora's fans? Sure, some of them are jerks. I won't deny that. However, anecdotal evidence of your experiences with Sora's fans being poor doesn't mean that all of his fans are *****. Some of Geno's fans are rude and toxic, as well. It doesn't mean that all of us are bad, just as it means that not all of Sora's fans are bad. I know a lot of friendly people who love KH and would adore seeing Sora in Smash, people who would disapprove of the behavior being cited here ad nauseum.

If we want to be given that respect, we need to give that respect in return. No exceptions. I don't mean to be the Geno police, but come on.
I agree, it's pretty trashy to be honest. We're all familiar with being stereotyped, so let's not turn around and give that stereotype in turn.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Dunno if this has been done before on this thread but...

it's time... to... name your favorite SUPER MARIO RPG ENEMY SKILL!!!!

I remember back in the day (SNES era), playing Super Mario RPG was one heck of an experience, and one of the exciting (yet dreadful) moments were the boss fights and seeing the skills/spells they cast. Attacks like Corona, Electro Shock, Aurora Flash, and Solidify were some of the attacks that upon seeing them for the first time looked awesome, and yet were terrifying to see in some instances (NO, I'M OUT OF PICK ME UPS).

Which enemy attacks were your favorites? :seuss:

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Dunno if this has been done before on this thread but...

it's time... to... name your favorite SUPER MARIO RPG ENEMY SKILL!!!!

I remember back in the day (SNES era), playing Super Mario RPG was one heck of an experience, and one of the exciting (yet dreadful) moments were the boss fights and seeing the skills/spells they cast. Attacks like Corona, Electro Shock, Aurora Flash, and Solidify were some of the attacks that upon seeing them for the first time looked awesome, and yet were terrifying to see in some instances (NO, I'M OUT OF PICK ME UPS).

Which enemy attacks were your favorites? :seuss:
I've always liked Meteor Swarm because it looked so nice, but Dark Star was usually the one that killed one of my character in one hit because it does so much damage. It was never really devastating since it only hits one character, but still. I also remember one time I was fighting Smithy's phase two with Mario, Mallow, and Geno and he used Sword Rain and Spear Rain in a row and wiped my whole party.

Last edited:

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Bayonetta would have went better if they didn't frame her as being the most top requested character in the world* and instead just made her a normal DLC announcement not attached to the ballot. Pretty sure calling Cloud the ballot winner would have worked out better.
*From a list of characters they could use which could have been only 2 characters for all we know.
I think bayonettas issues mostly come down to the fact she became the posterchild of what's wrong with sm4sh. She, alongside Cloud killed a the competitive scene in that game (Like all super powerful top tiers not in melee) and was a pain to fight even in casual online. So yeah, Bayonetta had a very poor introduction that people still feel sore about, and as such will look at her in the most negative way possible.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity I wanted to compare some of the raw max stats for the cast of SMRPG and I made an easy to look at ranking for each stat category:

Untitled.png

The first and obvious observation is holy hell Geno is good (we knew that, of course). Outside of HP and Dp. Defense, he ranks at the top (or second) in all of the other stats.

Mario is super boring, which is kind of his calling card in games where he has stats. He has a lot of fun weapons to use at least. I have always wished Mario wasn't a forced party member so that I could use a Geno/Bowser/Mallow set up. Instead I usually stick with Mario/Geno/Bowser since Geno and Bowser are the most fun for me to use.

I've played through the game at least 15-20 times and I really have never used Peach much just because her presence makes the game so much easier.

For Smash, these stats also solidify that Geno would be a light-mid weight, fast, glass cannon, projectile based character which is something Smash is strangely missing.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Out of curiosity I wanted to compare some of the raw max stats for the cast of SMRPG and I made an easy to look at ranking for each stat category:

View attachment 231873

The first and obvious observation is holy hell Geno is good (we knew that, of course). Outside of HP and Dp. Defense, he ranks at the top (or second) in all of the other stats.

Mario is super boring, which is kind of his calling card in games where he has stats. He has a lot of fun weapons to use at least. I have always wished Mario wasn't a forced party member so that I could use a Geno/Bowser/Mallow set up. Instead I usually stick with Mario/Geno/Bowser since Geno and Bowser are the most fun for me to use.

I've played through the game at least 15-20 times and I really have never used Peach much just because her presence makes the game so much easier.

For Smash, these stats also solidify that Geno would be a light-mid weight, fast, glass cannon, projectile based character which is something Smash is strangely missing.
Seeing this makes me see Geno (in MMORPG terms) as a lifeless/golem type character (which usually either have high physical defense, or abysmal magical defense).

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Let me apologize for my out burst, but you must understand, constantly seeing that kind of action (especially when he is simply griefing over an arson attack) is extremely tilting.

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Seeing this makes me see Geno (in MMORPG terms) as a lifeless/golem type character (which usually either have high physical defense, or abysmal magical defense).
I would agree with you, but Geno has the highest speed, and tied with the highest Sp. Attack, and also has the lowest HP pool, which (in my experience with MMORPGs) those types of characters don't really have. They're more of the slow, heavy hitting, physical types of characters with high HP whereas Geno is a speedy mixed bag of physical and magical attacks with good physical durability as opposed to his not so good magical defenses and small health pool.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I can't really name any character/class type that's quite like Geno.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, if I recall correctly, during the New York showing for the EVERYONE IS HERE trailer, people actually booed when Bayonetta came up. People really should just let go of a petty grudge. Then again, they have trouble letting go of things in general (*cough*Melee*cough*).
Well that could be because the last tournament Bayonetta won and everyone booed. I think most people didn't like Bayonetta in Smash Bros is because how power and broken she was when first release.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think bayonettas issues mostly come down to the fact she became the posterchild of what's wrong with sm4sh. She, alongside Cloud killed a the competitive scene in that game (Like all super powerful top tiers not in melee) and was a pain to fight even in casual online. So yeah, Bayonetta had a very poor introduction that people still feel sore about, and as such will look at her in the most negative way possible.
I mean, there's a reason there was an entire patch to nerf her and only her.

There was also the disconnect of her popularity and her series' sales. I believe they didn't sell well enough for someone who was in the top of the Ballot world-wide. In fact, many said they were self-discouraged to support her due to her style in her game, thinking she would be impossible. So when they say she was most realizable, which implies others actually ranked above her but we not available at the time, and seeing the demand for veterans like Snake and Ultimate's additions being referred by their popularity, people think that she barely cracked the top 15 in that case with Snake, Ice Climbers, K Rool, Simon, Isabelle, etc being above her. Many thought that there were a few above her, but now people think that gap was far wider than originally thought.

In the end, I like Bayonetta, although I would have preferred some different music selected.

I'm more baffled if there WAS actual shenanigans behind the scenes as they would be completely pointless and unneeded. Like **** Dastardly stopping to cheat to win despite legitimately in the process of winning the race.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Favorite Mario RPG attacks?

-Petal Dance- I always loved the silly sound at the end, plus turning into a mushroom is still one of the funniest status effects in any RPG ever, in my opinion.

-Solidfy- a brutal ice attack that's just quick and fierce.

-Water Blast- Feels like a really over-the-top attack. Pretty sure it instantly killed my entire team multiple times when I fought Yardiovich for the first time as a kid.

-Aurora- I always found it really disquieting and eerie.

-Static E- Love the sound plus it's super nostalgic since it's Bowyer's main special attack.

-Chomp- Having a random enemy thrown at you and having it be one of the strongest physical attacks in the game is pretty funny.

-pretty much everything Jinx does- Everything looks super painful and it kind of adds to vibe that you might be in way over your head during the fight.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Like Ness, Pichu, and Young Link combined

Firox

Smash Master
With all this talk about Bayo and the ballot, I thought it was interesting how Sakurai hinted that veterans like Snake and Wolf scored higher than her. I bet that's the reason why he decided to go with the "Everyone is here" theme since he knew how badly we missed our edgy, old school characters. It goes to show that once a character is added to smash, they gain an eternal following. All the more reason we need our blue puppet boi in there. We need to solidify his immortality.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Just to make sure we are on the same page regarding SMRPG, Special Attacks cannot be defended against, correct?

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Gonna list off my favorite special attacks:

Meteor Blast: always liked how this looked visually, including when the party has Rock Candy to be used against enemies.

Flame Stone: just sounds like such a crushing attack when it lands on one of the players.

Static E: cool pixel effects and sound.

Sword Rain: it's raining swords! Fitting for an enemy like Smithy who makes weapons, and I like that sort of falling sound that goes with it.

Water Blast: classic childhood frustration. Even the Blockbuster rental of this game had a save file before this boss which I'm sure other people struggled with, lol.

Firox

Smash Master
So talking about boss fights, who else used Peach and Mallow to fight Belome the second time with the clones? The first few times I went into that fight, I was packing Geno and Bowser and their clones totally spanked me. No matter what I did, they were just too strong. Then I realized, "Hey, if I gotta kick ass on my own teammates, why not the wimpy ones?" After switching to Peach and Mallow and getting baby-tapped by a parasol, I knew I'd made the right choice. ;)

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Has anyone noticed that either Geno's Geno Beam or Geno Flash attacks kind of resemble Vegeta's Final Flash attack in Dragon Ball Z Episode 162 "Trunks Ascends," both in Geno Flash's attack size, and the fact that both Final Flash and Geno Beam are both ki attacks, but Final Flash is yellow and Geno Beam is blue?

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Some of my favorite enemy attacks:

Blizzard and Solidify - just love the aesthetic of these.

Flame Stone - the thud when it hits you is burned into my brain forever

Shredder - I had no idea what the hell this did until I was older, and i have fond memories of breathing a sigh of relief when it was used since it meant I wasn't being attacked

S'crow Dust - I love the scarecrow model that comes with this so much. Was fun to have to change your battle style when stuff like this happened

Sledge - A Smithy original. The iconic first attack that he'll use in the final battle 100% of the time.

As for the heroes, Bowser probably has my favorite weapons in terms of how much fun they are to use. His Chain Chomps, Hurley Gloves, and Drill Claw are all ingenuous and satisfying to use.

Geno's weapons are just as good, but I always disliked the timed hit for the the Star Gun, which is of course his final weapon. It felt a little off compared to the timing of the other weapons

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Shredder - I had no idea what the hell this did until I was older, and i have fond memories of breathing a sigh of relief when it was used since it meant I wasn't being attacked

S'crow Dust - I love the scarecrow model that comes with this so much. Was fun to have to change your battle style when stuff like this happened

Sledge - A Smithy original. The iconic first attack that he'll use in the final battle 100% of the time.

As for the heroes, Bowser probably has my favorite weapons in terms of how much fun they are to use. His Chain Chomps, Hurley Gloves, and Drill Claw are all ingenuous and satisfying to use.

Geno's weapons are just as good, but I always disliked the timed hit for the the Star Gun, which is of course his final weapon. It felt a little off compared to the timing of the other weapons
Shredder freaked me out as a kid because I had no idea what it did. Am I going to die? Did I lose anything? Is it going to erase my save file if I don't beat him?! What does it mean?!?

Also, yes, Sledge is great too. It's like the giant foot from the Monty Python sketches.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Has anyone noticed that either Geno's Geno Beam or Geno Flash attacks kind of resemble Vegeta's Final Flash attack in Dragon Ball Z Episode 162 "Trunks Ascends," both in Geno Flash's attack size, and the fact that both Final Flash and Geno Beam are both ki attacks, but Final Flash is yellow and Geno Beam is blue?
What the heck? People who are campaigning for Goku or a DBZ character ought to campaign for Geno instead. We have a look-alike in terms of Erdrick particularly (or as close as we'll get), so let's get the abilities in there through our star boy. :laugh:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
With all this talk about Bayo and the ballot, I thought it was interesting how Sakurai hinted that veterans like Snake and Wolf scored higher than her. I bet that's the reason why he decided to go with the "Everyone is here" theme since he knew how badly we missed our edgy, old school characters. It goes to show that once a character is added to smash, they gain an eternal following. All the more reason we need our blue puppet boi in there. We need to solidify his immortality.
Yes. The guy's lucky to even have a following, whereas I have to encourage people to keep it up for lesser-known characters that don't remotely have this kind of lasting support.

Could you imagine what'll happen in regards to that after Geno eventually is accepted? It'd be a gold rush.

Corona was a fairly cool one, spark ball that sweeped over you with a scanning beam, then cleared off instead of vanishing or whatever.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Yes. The guy's lucky to even have a following, whereas I have to encourage people to keep it up for lesser-known characters that don't remotely have this kind of lasting support.

Could you imagine what'll happen in regards to that after Geno eventually is accepted? It'd be a gold rush.
Geno....the final frontier....the gate of all flood gates. Once he's in, there will be no limit, no obscurity and no relevance too little or too great for a video game character to overcome.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What the heck? People who are campaigning for Goku or a DBZ character ought to campaign for Geno instead. We have a look-alike in terms of Erdrick particularly (or as close as we'll get), so let's get the abilities in there through our star boy. :laugh:
If you think about it, isn't Geno Whirl kinda like a Destructo Disk?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If you think about it, isn't Geno Whirl kinda like a Destructo Disk?
Basically, yeah, right down to cutting down anyone if it actually hits. Fortunately, Geno gets more chances at hitting things.

Some users on this forum I won't name will sadly not listen to reason in regards to that, instead sticking to their less than sensical reasonings and workarounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom