• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I'm really glad that Yoko Shimomura went back and reorchestrated two of SMRPG's songs for her Best Of album in 2014.

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and Goodbye Geno. She was responsible for the arrangements of 3 of my favourite songs in Smash, Route 10, Magicant / Eight Melodies and the absolutely incredible Kass's Theme.

I'd say a double digit percentage of me wanting Geno stems from wanting her to have another crack at the music. The whole soundtrack was basically her baby.

And it still didn't stop them from coming in here to talk about how much they wanted [insert character here] over Geno. Hero getting revealed was almost a small miracle because it got them to leave us alone.
Yeah I thought it was funny how certain people just completely stopped coming here after that despite being here almost everyday beforehand.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Yeah I thought it was funny how certain people just completely stopped coming here after that despite being here almost everyday beforehand.
There were definitely people who were "huge Geno fans" but "really wanted Erdrick/Sephiroth/Sora" who all suddenly vanished. Really makes you think.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Sabi's source only covers first and second party games. He literally works for Nintendo, after all, and they send him specific review copies of games because of this. Also, he kind of hates Bayonetta... A lot. I wish I could share some of the comments he's made in the past (most are hilarious) but I'm pretty sure it would just be a string of asterisks on this site.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Sabi's source only covers first and second party games. He literally works for Nintendo, after all, and they send him specific review copies of games because of this. Also, he kind of hates Bayonetta... A lot. I wish I could share some of the comments he's made in the past (most are hilarious) but I'm pretty sure it would just be a string of asterisks on this site.
The more I hear about this guy the more I like him. Between being actually depressed when Isaac was made an AT and hating Bayonetta he sounds like my kind of dude

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
While I may not agree with hating Bayo, this is rather hilarious. Any other biases they have that we should be made aware of, if just to determine what he would certainly hint or not hint at?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The SE thread was just a glorified FF and DQ fan thread with some KH thrown in there.. A lot of them wouldn't even attempt to humor that Geno had even a little chance.
I once posted there about how I'd just be content with Seph and Tifa as additional FF7 characters. Let's just say that didn't blow over well.

Square Seven, not even once.

Sounds like he'd have fun times with Kamiya. Still, now it makes sense why he's so cryptic; the guy would be ninja'ed on the spot if they knew about this thread.

There were definitely people who were "huge Geno fans" but "really wanted Erdrick/Sephiroth/Sora" who all suddenly vanished. Really makes you think.
Just gonna leave this here: https://makeameme.org/meme/bandwagoners-bandwagoners-everywhere-59b5e3

Attachments

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but if Square Enix owns Geno, and Square Enix is third party, does that mean Sabi's source isn't talking about Geno or Square with the Starling thing, or am I missing something here?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well, Bayonetta is a second party game though, so it would easily fall within his wheelhouse. Shame they don’t like Bayonetta, it’s an excellent series and one of Nintendo’s best decisions made during the Wii U era to save 2 and basically adopt her as one of their characters.

Strings of asterisks isn’t quite the most assuring way of describing this person depending on what humor they’re using...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Bayonetta is a second party game though, so it would easily fall within his wheelhouse. Shame they don’t like Bayonetta, it’s an excellent series and one of Nintendo’s best decisions made during the Wii U era to save 2 and basically adopt her as one of their characters.

Strings of asterisks isn’t quite the most assuring way of describing this person depending on what humor they’re using...
I'm still confused about people referring to her as a Sega character to this day, so I basically just roll with it at this point. :drshrug: Low-key wondering if we'll even hear B3 news next year.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Isn't Bayonetta owned by Sega?

edit: oh, Nintendo owns some rights to 2 and 3 but I guess they pay Sega or somethin'.

Last edited:

Slender

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlenderSphere
Switch FC
SW-3978-2307-5490
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but if Square Enix owns Geno, and Square Enix is third party, does that mean Sabi's source isn't talking about Geno or Square with the Starling thing, or am I missing something here?
This would be the case if it were for anything that wasn't Nintendo-related, but since we got bear and bird hints from Sabi's source for Banjo in Smash, it'd be safe to assume that anything else regarding third-parties would have to tie in with Nintendo somehow. If Geno were to come back in any way, shape or form, it'd almost definitely be through some form of collaboration with Nintendo.

i hope

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
While I may not agree with hating Bayo, this is rather hilarious. Any other biases they have that we should be made aware of, if just to determine what he would certainly hint or not hint at?
Not that I can really openly talk about because, as a Brand Ambassador, each one is focused on certain franchises based on what they like. They receive general news but Nintendo does keep their preferences in mind, trying to match the right people to the right games, so to speak. For example, if my favorite franchise was Fart Dart World Champions, Nintendo would pay me to make content about it, send me Fart Dart stuff, have me hype up Fart Darts at events, etc. That said, it's kind of like a thumb print if I were to list them but, obviously, he does like Smash so you can rest assured on that.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Not that I can really openly talk about because, as a Brand Ambassador, each one is focused on certain franchises based on what they like. They receive general news but Nintendo does keep their preferences in mind, trying to match the right people to the right games, so to speak. For example, if my favorite franchise was Fart Dart World Champions, Nintendo would pay me to make content about it, send me Fart Dart stuff, have me hype up Fart Darts at events, etc. That said, it's kind of like a thumb print if I were to list them but, obviously, he does like Smash so you can rest assured on that.
It's also a pretty broad statement to say he likes Smash in particular when, well... who at Nintendo wouldn't? I'd doubt there are more than a fist full of people there who don't care about Smash.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Honestly after Geno Sakurai really should try to get a Fart Dart World Champions rep in Smash. I played that series all the time as a kid and it sucks that it's been neglected for so long.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just consider it a case of divorced parents (Sega and Platinum) sharing child custody and leave it at that.
To add to this analogy, Nintendo's totally the amazing step-parent that Platinum remarried and takes super great care of the kid and makes sure they always have plenty of money and the ability to do anything... Sega gets to see them like once a year at Christmas so they can totally show off Bayo to the rest of the family (Porting Bayonetta to something) to say they're totally this really cool parent when in fact they barely even see little Bayo.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Man, this thread really likes it's divorce and child custody analogies when it comes to franchise ownership.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
How could anyone hate Bayonetta? She's amazing and the games are super great.

T2by4

Smash Lord
Something about supposedly being a ****, sexuality, not fitting people's image of Nintendo being kiddy (even though the Wii had Madworld), "stealing" rightful character slots, etc.
Tbf there's no way in **** she won that ballot. If anything K Rool won it hands down.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Something about supposedly being a ****, sexuality, not fitting people's image of Nintendo being kiddy (even though the Wii had Madworld), "stealing" rightful character slots, etc.
tbh I'd imagine the majority of people that don't like her for reasons not related for her game are over the ballot claim we know was crap and how she majorly upset smash4's balance right at the end when not much would be done to fix it before moving on to a new game

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Man, this thread really likes it's divorce and child custody analogies when it comes to franchise ownership.
And we just got another such case, too! :ultbanjokazooie:

Tbf there's no way in **** she won that ballot. If anything K Rool won it hands down.
tbh I'd imagine the majority of people that don't like her for reasons not related for her game are over the ballot claim we know was crap and how she majorly upset smash4's balance right at the end when not much would be done to fix it before moving on to a new game
To be even fairer, fans absolutely wanted a winner, and the big guys weren't in position to do anything except find out if the character they happened to be developing was supported in the ballot. And hindsight being 20/20, no one realised at the time that the fine print mentioning results being used for later games was only on the Japanese site.

Everyone was to blame, but at least people got what they wanted in the end by Ultimate. Well, mostly.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm a scrub who can't seem to get past the first boss on either games. I've basically given up at this point even attempting to try.
We can probably discuss this through private messages to keep this thread a little bit more on-topic, but what difficulty are you on, and what problems are you having with those bosses? Bayonetta 1 can be quite difficult, though Bayonetta 2 is much easier.

Last edited:

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
So, thinking about it, would timed hits make Geno "broken"? I imagine that it would be quite easy to master compared to Bayo and the Joker's stuff.
Not really. That's like calling Incineroar's side special broken because people can time it. Or literally any counter. It's a reward for learning to play Geno well and as long as his combos aren't exploitable bs.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
So, thinking about it, would timed hits make Geno "broken"? I imagine that it would be quite easy to master compared to Bayo and the Joker's stuff.
Joker literally goes from one of the best characters in the game to debatably the best character in the game by losing or holding down and b lmao. I don't think Geno can get worse than Smash 4 Bayo either.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We can probably discuss this through private messages to keep this thread a little bit more on-topic, but what difficulty are you on, and what problems are you having with those bosses? Bayonetta 1 can be quite difficult, though Bayonetta 2 is much easier.
It has been a long while since I've tried. I just can't beat them. I am terrible at dodging and it seems like my guns do jack. But this isn't the thread for this talk anyway lol

Glitch-EGamer

Smash Lord
Anybody else think Mega Man would be used as a base for Geno? They both mainly use projectiles and I can see Geno's dair being the rocket arms

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
And we just got another such case, too! :ultbanjokazooie:

To be even fairer, fans absolutely wanted a winner, and the big guys weren't in position to do anything except find out if the character they happened to be developing was supported in the ballot. And hindsight being 20/20, no one realised at the time that the fine print mentioning results being used for later games was only on the Japanese site.

Everyone was to blame, but at least people got what they wanted in the end by Ultimate. Well, mostly.
I didn't say that they were but instead of just making bayo and being upfront about the pass not being for new smash 4 characters they tried to claim bayo was because of good ballot results during her reveal. thats totally on them and there's no reason people shouldn't have been allowed to be upset over being let on like that when it was a blatant lie. what's done is done but it wasn't a good move and I imagine the complaining over having to wait for the ballot to mean something would have been much smaller that what happened.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think it'll just depend entirely on balance for how the timed hits end up making him in terms of tier placement. If they're faster timed hits with shorter windows of opportunity, then he could be a character with a really great skill ceiling. If he gets too slow of timed hits, he might be a low tier zoner that struggles to get off the best attacks and opponents can easily punish his move set.. I think if they're going to do Geno justice as a character, he probably wouldn't end up absolute top tier just because I'd imagine they'd rely upon lots of projectiles and make him pretty light as a fighter, but he'd still be in a good position since he'd presumably be a glass canon along the lines of Pichu since he's like that in the original games to some extent.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I didn't say that they were but instead of just making bayo and being upfront about the pass not being for new smash 4 characters they tried to claim bayo was because of good ballot results during her reveal. thats totally on them and there's no reason people shouldn't have been allowed to be upset over being let on like that when it was a blatant lie. what's done is done but it wasn't a good move and I imagine the complaining over having to wait for the ballot to mean something would have been much smaller that what happened.
Eh, Smash 4 was divisive overall even without this happening, so at least the fan campaigns in those days mostly amounted to something. And everyone knew that Smash Tour was a stupid idea that shouldn't be used again.

I think it'll just depend entirely on balance for how the timed hits end up making him in terms of tier placement. If they're faster timed hits with shorter windows of opportunity, then he could be a character with a really great skill ceiling. If he gets too slow of timed hits, he might be a low tier zoner that struggles to get off the best attacks and opponents can easily punish his move set.. I think if they're going to do Geno justice as a character, he probably wouldn't end up absolute top tier just because I'd imagine they'd rely upon lots of projectiles and make him pretty light as a fighter, but he'd still be in a good position since he'd presumably be a glass canon along the lines of Pichu since he's like that in the original games to some extent.
That's a good compromise. Plus, he doesn't hurt himself like Pichu does, so he'd be more traditional, as glass canons go.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Well I'm to blame for Bayonetta getting into Smash Bros. During the Ballot I voted for between 100 to 300 times each day until the ballot was done. I even suggested her being a combo fighter and how holding the attack button fires her guns. The things that I suggested actually made it into her moveset.

Dan

Smash Lord
Well I'm to blame for Bayonetta getting into Smash Bros. During the Ballot I voted for between 100 to 300 times each day until the ballot was done. I even suggested her being a combo fighter and how holding the attack button fires her guns. The things that I suggested actually made it into her moveset.
Well they did say that Bayonetta was decided before the ballot was even finished so the whole thing was a sham... there's no way she won imo. She wasn't even in the conversation.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I think it would depend on how it was implemented. I think the legacyxp team actually had to tone down some stuff from their origional design in the latest patch but I think very few things would be inherently broken.
Eh, Smash 4 was divisive overall even without this happening, so at least the fan campaigns in those days mostly amounted to something. And everyone knew that Smash Tour was a stupid idea that shouldn't be used again.
I think the only game that wasn't divisive in some way was 64 lol

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
There is literally 0% chance that they didn't parse extra votes from the same IP. You wasted your time anyway because they started working on Bayonetta before the ballot even started

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Anybody else think Mega Man would be used as a base for Geno? They both mainly use projectiles and I can see Geno's dair being the rocket arms
Mii gunner all day, I think I brought this up before. Problem with megaman is that his animations are stylistic due to them paying homage to his earlier games.
In my opinion It would make more sense to use mii gunner as a base because of a few factors-

1. Costume is already designed around Gunners Base, so modeling is easier.

2. Size wise, I’d say gunner has the potential to match Mario in size which seems to be where Geno is at comparatively.

3. Using megaman as a base too much will start to take away the uniqueness of his own character. And since he is the only one representing that series it makes sense to have him control in such a way that actually separates him from other characters.

What I would expect is a gunner based character, with adjusted stats that may increase his speed and floatiness. However I doubt his base will be limited to just a gunner, multiple characters animations will probably be used(especially megaman) to give off the feeling he is a completely original character.

Im just hoping we get a revamped costume or new take of it along side his classic appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom