• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Well, I guess there will be no Hero high-level matches at EVO. Certainly however, considering yesterday's short Nintendo video showcasing games coming this month, he might be released on the last week of July.

So far the release dates of the DLC fighters (if Hero is released by the end of July), remind me of the quarterly payroll tax return deadlines :confused: (1st Quarter = April; 2nd Quarter = July; 3rd Quarter = October; 4th Quarter = January). Although following this logic; then the 5th dlc fighter could be... delayed? :surprised: No; something ain't right.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Didn’t the Geno rumor come before the Square Seven and Erdrick?
That is the question isn't it? For what we know, the first time we heard about Geno from the Ambassador, was probably the 6th time he has told someone.

With this in mind, who knows how long they have known this bit of info. That week? Months ago? When they were born? This we cannot possibly answer.

EDIT: YsDisciple YsDisciple watch we get Hero last of July with Banjo in September. Thus, getting us back on track.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So far the release dates of the DLC fighters (if Hero is released by the end of July), remind me of the quarterly payroll tax return deadlines :confused: (1st Quarter = April; 2nd Quarter = July; 3rd Quarter = October; 4th Quarter = January). Although following this logic; then the 5th dlc fighter could be... delayed? :surprised: No; something ain't right.
Sounds like the DLC characters joined Smash so they can get tips from a certain dinosaur.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Honestly Eric sometimes I think you take being contrarian and elevate it to being an artform. I truly think this is your Sistine Chapel.
I didn't expect that to get the typical contrarian response thing. It's just a genuine opinion I have voiced since before E3 as I was adamantly against E3 opening and closing with Smash as I thought it would send the wrong message... and I still sort of think it did, I honestly wish they'd just done Hero and Banjo Kazooie back to back. This is pretty well the only place actually discussing a Direct like a possibility (most other places I've read just think we'll get a Hero trailer like Joker from what I've read, though I guess that could've changed today), so it seemed the most relevant place to make a commentary on a potential Smash Direct and how it's something I'm still mostly against. Especially since I largely suspect we'll need another Smash Direct to close out this year and announce the final two fighters of the Pass and anything additional that comes with them anyway. This has always been an issue I've been worried about, and again, it's something I've seen pop-up in other Nintendo communities in which people just roll their eyes at yet more Smash news that takes the prime-time slots and information dumps.

And I'm really not much of a contrarian. I largely hold to a pretty consistent ideological framework and stick to it. I don't like crazy theories and I don't like making a big deal out of things until something large warrants real excitement (Cuphead on Switch is the example I'm going to keep bringing up because it works incredibly well as a moment for many things and the one that made me excited for Banjo Kazooie). And I've changed my mind on some stances in time too the more I've thought about it such as with the question of Indies in Smash and coming to accept that idea where I've previously pushed back against it. It's just my ideological stance tends to conflict with a subset of people here more often than not it seems. A different subset tends to enjoy my posts and support some of the things I say quite a bit, so it just comes down to the fact we have differences. There's a good chance that I'm just a hell of a lot more moderate Geno fan than others here (I'm much more passionately locked to ideas in real life somewhat ironically I suppose). I still support and like the character, as I do many in Smash, but I'm always going to prioritize my speculative lens in most conversations. I think there's a place for me here and I'm going to continue being me. For what it's worth, I do actively try to not push too hard on certain moments and take the criticism to heart, but I'm not willing to compromise myself completely along the way either.

I understand where you're coming from but I personally disagree it's not as if Smash is taking up any possible announcements within those months or directs. Take the August direct it's not like they made it purely Smash instead of a general Direct they instead made it a Smash direct instead of nothing and instead of just another dry spell.

Smash doesn't really take away anything from those announcements if Smash didn't take up half of the E3 last year it wouldn't mean they could replace that with other announcements but instead the length would be cut in half and we wouldn't have gotten anything really big then and it would've been a bad direct in my opinion but instead they chose for Smash to be there and for it to be the big show stopper instead of cutting the time in half and making Fire Emblem the "Show stopper" or Daemon X Machina the "Show Stopper".

It's better to take those rather than nothing in my opinion and if we get a Smash Direct? Well it's better than yet another drought and it would even look good for a certain character.

I understand your point though and I can respect it Smash has taken up a lot of prominence in the last year and a half but that's to be expected from Nintendo's premier crossover and fighting game in my opinion. Never the less you aren't necessarily wrong I just respectfully disagree.
Oh, I'm aware that we wouldn't necessarily be getting other things if we de-emphasized Smash and I think it made sense for it to get so much focus last year when it was pretty much Nintendo's only notable game releasing besides the Let's Go remakes/reimaginings. Like I said, I saw people disappointed that last year the game was the only thing they really saw.

It's just, especially these days, that Nintendo has so many big upcoming games and releases they can talk about and should be prioritizing over DLC. The community and the market both demand the next big, new title and are less interested in the DLC for existing ones. And I mean, they rightfully should be no matter the pedigree of Smash and it's crossover with other big games. Nintendo is about so much more than Smash and they're doing so much more right with the Switch than they have in over a decade. I know they have to talk about it at some point, but I think it's important to let Smash take more of a back seat to everything else they have to show. I mean, I love Banjo Kazooie as much as anyone else... but they also dominated the coverage of what was an excellent Nintendo E3 showing everywhere else that was the stuff Nintendo fans have only dreamed of in the past... and that feels a little wrong to me. HD Fire Emblem, HD Animal Crossing, HD mainline Pokemon with open world mechanics, Luigi's Mansion 3, third party support that hasn't been seen since the Gamecube era, and new IPs gaining attention? Hell yeah, that's Nintendo firing on most of its cylinders for the first time in years and answering what people wanted the Wii and Wii U to be in many ways. Just to be overshadowed by Banjo Kazooie in Smash. A great and huge moment that I can't take away from... but it also just frustrates me and disappoints me a little.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Strange question, could the Grinch Leak have messed with the order of reveals? Think of it this way, before Joker was announced, almost every insider was insisting that the Square Rep was first. Could we have seen The Hero at the VGAs? It makes no sense to show him with that spoiler in his trailer, but allow me a moment.

If we look back at the Grinch Leak, what CHARACTERS do we see? We see characters that were either Assist trophies and or spirits in game, except for Ken who turned out to be a fighter. As well as Banjo and Kazooie who turned out to be in the fighters pass.

With how soul crushing this was for those who let it get to there head that 'this must be real', did Nintendo hear about this? I remember hearing that Isaac and Skull Kid got Mii Costumes added because of the backlash (Please help me clarify that, but I am pretty certain)

Now the kicker...Was Geno going to be a Mii Costume, but because of the Grinch Leak, did they change that? They were the only character on that they could salvage and save. Thus, they changed the order of reveals.

Just a thought I had. I do not think this was likely or even happened, but kind of interesting to think about.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
Strange question, could the Grinch Leak have messed with the order of reveals? Think of it this way, before Joker was announced, almost every insider was insisting that the Square Rep was first. Could we have seen The Hero at the VGAs? It makes no sense to show him with that spoiler in his trailer, but allow me a moment.

If we look back at the Grinch Leak, what CHARACTERS do we see? We see characters that were either Assist trophies and or spirits in game, except for Ken who turned out to be a fighter. As well as Banjo and Kazooie who turned out to be in the fighters pass.

With how soul crushing this was for those who let it get to there head that 'this must be real', did Nintendo hear about this? I remember hearing that Isaac and Skull Kid got Mii Costumes added because of the backlash (Please help me clarify that, but I am pretty certain)

Now the kicker...Was Geno going to be a Mii Costume, but because of the Grinch Leak, did they change that? They were the only character on that they could salvage and save. Thus, they changed the order of reveals.

Just a thought I had. I do not think this was likely or even happened, but kind of interesting to think about.
Probably not, given Sakurai's words on the Joker reveal

Nintendo had first approached me with a request: “We want you to reveal that Joker’s in development at The Game Awards 2018.” The timing wasn’t bad at all, it really was what made the flower that was Ultimate’s release bloom. Of course, I hadn’t even started on development at that point, so there wasn’t any gameplay we could show off.

To that end, I thought that we could reveal him through an animated cutscene.

After seeing The Game Awards’ venue, I thought about how I could make the reveal interesting. I’d eventually reach the idea that Joker would infiltrate the venue and steal its “treasure” – an invitation to Smash.

I’m familiar with P5, so writing dialogue that suited the character wasn’t much of an issue. Scheduling with Joker’s voice actor – who’s quite popular – was a different story. We had fun recording the lines, though; the atmosphere in the recording studio was pretty cheerful. We only ended up with a few lines of dialogue, though… What a waste…
All this, especially the bolded, would be so hard to move around that it wouldn't be worth it, just to entertain a false leak. The joker reveal was tailor made for a live venue.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Probably not, given Sakurai's words on the Joker reveal

All this, especially the bolded, would be so hard to move around that it wouldn't be worth it, just to entertain a false leak. The joker reveal was tailor made for a live venue.
Thank you for this. Had forgotten about this article. So reveals were set in stone, but perhaps my claim on Geno Mii costume being reworked to fighter could still be considered.

Again, didn't believe my claim on the reveals changing.

Last edited:

Morgana J. Cat

Smash Apprentice
Listen, if Morgana (yes, THE Morgana from Persona 5) supports Geno, then everyone should.

Now, uh, if the Phantom Thieves could steal Square Enix's collective heart and allow them to give Nintendo the SMRPG rights, that'd... be pretty cool... Just saying, y'know, in case they're listening... cough...
Hehe one thing is for sure, they'll definitely never see it coming (hell, neither will we).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

The Mii costumes already existed in the game prior to the backlash of Grinch. The quotes surrounding that situation were that Nintendo was surprised that people were so upset that characters still got something. All the DLC was almost certainly in place with more direct plans for the upcoming DLC by that moment as well. I don’t believe there’s anything that seriously indicates Joker as not first, just that Sakurai didn’t necessarily want him revealed as early as he had been too. And Sakurai seems to have had his hands pretty full since launch anyway.

I don’t think the fallout last Fall would have changed much or convinced Nintendo to do something so soon. Maybe after the Fighter’s Pass, but by the November Direct, I imagine there was entirely too much stuff in motion to make a change like that. Especially on the level of unique newcomer.

It would also be really weird to look at the backlash of the November Direct and decide Geno was the main option honestly. Isaac is super easy for Nintendo to make into a character and doesn’t require the same navigation of red tape, with the only limit being the mostly arbitrary (especially to Nintendo who certainly aren’t going to care that Isaac’s already an AT like Sakurai might). Similarly, they get along so well with Sega that Shadow would seemingly be really easy to implement (to the point where I still almost expect him to be some sort of additional Echo fighter down the line). They are both theoretically easier options since they don’t require Square Enix’s hand in the matter that also have quite large fan bases and high popularity of the other 5.

Not to mention, I could also just picture Nintendo shrugging off the backlash since they knew they had Banjo Kazooie coming later on and suspected that would be enough to please the fans. I think that would probably be the best and most efficient call for them. They can decide to do more later when the Fighter’s Pass is closer to completion if they want to/choose to.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
The Mii costumes already existed in the game prior to the backlash of Grinch. The quotes surrounding that situation were that Nintendo was surprised that people were so upset that characters still got something. All the DLC was almost certainly in place with more direct plans for the upcoming DLC by that moment as well. I don’t believe there’s anything that seriously indicates Joker as not first, just that Sakurai didn’t necessarily want him revealed as early as he had been too. And Sakurai seems to have had his hands pretty full since launch anyway.

I don’t think the fallout last Fall would have changed much or convinced Nintendo to do something so soon. Maybe after the Fighter’s Pass, but by the November Direct, I imagine there was entirely too much stuff in motion to make a change like that. Especially on the level of unique newcomer.

It would also be really weird to look at the backlash of the November Direct and decide Geno was the main option honestly. Isaac is super easy for Nintendo to make into a character and doesn’t require the same navigation of red tape, with the only limit being the mostly arbitrary (especially to Nintendo who certainly aren’t going to care that Isaac’s already an AT like Sakurai might). Similarly, they get along so well with Sega that Shadow would seemingly be really easy to implement (to the point where I still almost expect him to be some sort of additional Echo fighter down the line). They are both theoretically easier options since they don’t require Square Enix’s hand in the matter that also have quite large fan bases and high popularity of the other 5.

Not to mention, I could also just picture Nintendo shrugging off the backlash since they knew they had Banjo Kazooie coming later on and suspected that would be enough to please the fans. I think that would probably be the best and most efficient call for them. They can decide to do more later when the Fighter’s Pass is closer to completion if they want to/choose to.
This was just a thought...nothing to serious my dude. But anyhow, y'all have a good night!

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
Thank you for this. Had forgotten about this article. So reveals were mostly set in stone, but perhaps my claim on Geno Mii costume being reworked to fighter could still be considered.
We must also remember that it takes time in order to get them ready and get the green light to use the characters. Some greenlights take longer than others. The reason why The Hero was leaked before the Joker could easily be pure bad luck on Square and Nintendo¨s part OR (and I do belive this is the cause actually) it was a deliberate choice in order to get the western audience (considering how small the fanbase is here) to start and warm up to the idea of having the Dragon Quest character. I mean, this is the studio were Geno, Sepiroth and Sora come from, three characters that would be more of a hype machine for the west concidering their status here compared to Dragons Quest. I mean, just look at Cloud compared to this. One leaker knew about him compared to The Hero which was literally an open secret close to a year.

Edit- Good night Augusts

Last edited:

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
I dunno I feel like the make or break moment that will determine geno's future wouldn't be some leak or speculation of the spirit or the costume but a statement from sakurai after the squenix content is out, like how he was when he first got costumed and we learned about his feeling towards the character for the first time. after everything so far I refuse to believe he was just overlooked so if he doesn't make it I expect it to come up at some point and we'll find out something like square said no or offered dq in it's place or maybe Nintendo just put their foot down, maybe because of that lucrative dq offer, who knows.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman As you mentioned in your post (not going to quote it for space in the page) I will agree with your opinion in the large scheme of things.

I do understand that Smash is something that after awhile it can be kind of overwhelming for other IPs. It's in some cases bad but since Smash is such a big property (company's top 5 cash cows, easily) it gets lots of attention for being a combination of many things that people like that gets it so much attention.

I for example am thrilled for it but also for the new games coming up like Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina AND more Third Party support which I have lots of approval for it since it has been since the GameCube era that we were "neck and neck" with the other consoles and now in some sense we can be at that again.

Nintendo is more than Smash indeed. And I am more than ok that they support/show things other than Smash. It's a give or take with it considering as I said, it's a pillar for the company.

Also, I do respect and honestly agree with your sentiments over "hype" and "discussion" over what could or could not happen with Geno, Smash, and other characters. It's fine to hope or wish (no pun or reference to Geno, trust me~) for the character to happen, but to think that it is a "SURE thing" or that the "signs are there" and/or that the leaks prove it with hidden tones is, well I hope I don't get flack, flimsy or stretch of a case.

It's fine to get excited for the future but DON'T accept it as a fact that something is going down. Get hype but not too much if that makes sense.

I mean, we don't want to get a SM4SH situation were people were thinking a character was going to happen only for it to not be the case (Ex Ridley, Chrom, Takamaru, K. Rool, Chorus Boys, etc.) which again some may have happened to be playable later on but the disappointment was real then so be careful.

That's my stance on things pretty much after seeing the excitement of this thread.

:bowser:.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
I dunno I feel like the make or break moment that will determine geno's future wouldn't be some leak or speculation of the spirit or the costume but a statement from sakurai after the squenix content is out, like how he was when he first got costumed and we learned about his feeling towards the character for the first time. after everything so far I refuse to believe he was just overlooked so if he doesn't make it I expect it to come up at some point and we'll find out something like square said no or offered dq in it's place or maybe Nintendo just put their foot down, maybe because of that lucrative dq offer, who knows.
Truth be told, I argue that the only big reason Geno has a shot for DLC in Ultimate is Sakurai himself. It was just a matter of time when Dragon Quest would be introduced into Smash concidering its history and status. Concidering Geno is a character that Sakurai is personally interested in, he could be a bone they throw to him in order to get a character they personally want... If he wasn¨t, Sora or Sepiroth would more than likely be the next in line for Square characters concidering their status in comparison and what type of company Square is.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Truth be told, I argue that the only big reason Geno has a shot for DLC in Ultimate is Sakurai himself. It was just a matter of time when Dragon Quest would be introduced into Smash considering its history and status. Considering Geno is a character that Sakurai is personally interested in, he could be a bone they throw to him in order to get a character they personally want... If he wasn¨t, Sora or Sepiroth would more than likely be the next in line for Square characters considering their status in comparison and what type of company Square is.
yeah If geno is actually in somewhere then I expect a question about the costume or lack of will be met with an explanation if he's out, or a vague non-answer if he's in, maybe even doubtful statements like what grant did for banjo. Either way thats the only thing that could truly convince me one way or the other before the ride is over.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Comic Book Guy: Worst insiders over!

Truth be told, I argue that the only big reason Geno has a shot for DLC in Ultimate is Sakurai himself. It was just a matter of time when Dragon Quest would be introduced into Smash concidering its history and status. Concidering Geno is a character that Sakurai is personally interested in, he could be a bone they throw to him in order to get a character they personally want... If he wasn¨t, Sora or Sepiroth would more than likely be the next in line for Square characters concidering their status in comparison and what type of company Square is.
Same here. I think if Sakurai didn't want Geno or wasn't aware of his popularity, he would have no chance in hell. But the fact that Sakurai wants him too really gives Geno a giantic boost in his chances.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I wouldn't mind a Smash Direct, it's so boring right now. No new game announcements, no new major shake-ups besides Switch model updates, nothing, nada, niet. Just the final SP2 Splatfest, TH coming next week, that's it.

I don't see how on Earth it would get in the way of anything in this month of no-news, when we're still far away from the VGAs, and EVO proper doesn't start until next month. In the meantime, we have to deal with birds and otters for insider clues.

As it is right now, things are so slow that I'd rather play CTR: Nitro-Fueled to pass the time than discuss here.

Same here. I think if Sakurai didn't want Geno or wasn't aware of his popularity, he would have no chance in hell. But the fact that Sakurai wants him too really gives Geno a giantic boost in his chances.
The only issue is if Square themselves doesn't have cold feet and rely on granting the wish literally with the darned costume.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
In hindsight we probably should've realized that they wouldn't want to release The Hero in the same week as the final Splatoon 2 Splatfest. Nintendo probably want all their Switch users focus on that event instead.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Comic Book Guy: Worst insiders over!
Unfortunately there is still not much thing to do Sakurai can do for Geno within his power. Since it's Square and Enix who holds the major power to bring him back to the major spotlights.
Definitely the support Geno got from Sakurai is not as much as BowserJr or Rosalina's from Miyamoto.

Last edited:

T2by4

Smash Lord
Bros... What do we do if he gets mii costumed. This honestly feels like the last Smash game. I have a bad feeling about the Hero presentation coming up. If he gets mii costumed again, I feel like that's a wrap. Sakurai has said before that there are certain characters he couldn't negotiate to get in. What if Geno was one of them?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So if we are going by "Nintendo doesn't want to compete with themselves" logic. That means the earliest Hero can come out is in 2 weeks since Three Houses is next week. Slatfest is this weekend.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Bros... What do we do if he gets mii costumed. This honestly feels like the last Smash game. I have a bad feeling about the Hero presentation coming up. If he gets mii costumed again, I feel like that's a wrap. Sakurai has said before that there are certain characters he couldn't negotiate to get in. What if Geno was one of them?
It's never going to be the last Smash game, unless Nintendo backs out of the console business or stops making video games. (I'm using a little bit of hyperbole, but hopefully you get the point) This franchise sells systems, so at this point, it's like Mario Kart or Zelda. There's going to be at least one on every Nintendo home console for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Then write to Sakurai & Nintendo and express your disappointment that Geno got passed over for like a third time and that Spirit & Mii Costume just feels like a slap in the face instead of being fan service. We know that Sakurai full heartily believes that people were going to be happy with any kind of recognition such as being an Assist Trophy & Mii Costume and that a character doesn't need to be playable at all, we need to remind him that we don't like to see our favorite characters as Assist Trohpy or a Mii Costume because it feels like it was Sakurai's way of saying that character wasn't good enough to be consider playable. Also I feel like it's safe to mention how a certain character made it into the roster really hammers in the point that these characters being just Assist Trophy, Mii Costume or Spirirt really feels insulting. I'm not going to name that character, could be anyone from the roster.

But yeah, if we get the Geno Mii Costume I believe it's over and I'm at the point that I never want Sakurai to mention Geno ever again. I'm tired of them saying "we hear that you want that character" but not doing anything to make that happen. Don't say you hear the demand but continue to not satisfy it, that feels way worst.

It's never going to be the last Smash game, unless Nintendo backs out of the console business or stops making video games. (I'm using a little bit of hyperbole, but hopefully you get the point) This franchise sells systems, so at this point, it's like Mario Kart or Zelda. There's going to be at least one on every Nintendo home console for the foreseeable future.
But we're not getting another Smash Bros game for another 7 to 9 years and it's most likely won't be anything like Smash Bros Ultimate. That wait time would end up killing a lot of characters all together such as Rex & Pyra.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I decided to sit down and look through the history of Directs and have come to find that, aside from a few exceptions like the Pokemon Directs on Pokemon Day, Nintendo Directs are virtually never on the final week of the month. That said, if Hero's release isn't dated by this time next week, the chances of a Smash announcement at EVO again this year go up significantly.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I decided to sit down and look through the history of Directs and have come to find that, aside from a few exceptions like the Pokemon Directs on Pokemon Day, Nintendo Directs are virtually never on the final week of the month. That said, if Hero's release isn't dated by this time next week, the chances of a Smash announcement at EVO again this year go up significantly.
So the question is once it is announced at EVO, will it be a Smash direct or General? It makes sense for it to be Smash with virtually nothing outside of Astral Chain to focus on in August.

Bigger question, if it is a Smash focused Direct, what could they talk about for almost 20ish minutes? If it even is that long.

EDIT: Checked their catalog and not much coming in August other than some indies...WAIT! Chroma Squad is coming to the Switch!? Happy Day!

Last edited:

riggsbass

Smash Apprentice
Here's your daily almost certainly fake leak:

Wow this would be fine with me. I don't really care much for the other characters, but they definitely come off as being more interesting than most leaked characters. I'm not set on Doom Slayer being a character specifically because I feel as though his level of violence outweighs all of the others, but I am hopeful for his fanbase. Geno is literally the only thing missing from the game for me.

I ask because I find M&L to have this charm to it visually and I feel like Smithy and his boss theme would be AMAZING with that series's style of music.
I had the idea the other day of them remaking SMRPG but in their new, visually-updated M&L style. I think it'd be cool and it'd make sense why Alpha Dream have been quiet for a while and why there's been so much "talk about SMRPG in the office" and reasoning for the removal in M&LSS remake (re-designing Geno/etc's designs) and Geno's late Smash inclusion. A man can dream!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
AugustusB AugustusB It's like 95% likely to be a Smash Direct. Announcements made at EVO are always tied to fighting games. Plus, if it was announced at EVO, it would happen that week and Astral Chain would still be three weeks off. Nintendo's been making a lot of little announcements as of late and E3 still wasn't that long ago so I'd argue it's still way too early for a General Direct.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
AugustusB AugustusB It's like 95% likely to be a Smash Direct. Announcements made at EVO are always tied to fighting games. Plus, if it was announced at EVO, it would happen that week and Astral Chain would still be three weeks off. Nintendo's been making a lot of little announcements as of late and E3 still wasn't that long ago so I'd argue it's still way too early for a General Direct.
And comparing that to the dates of last year, we could be seeing this on Wednesday (8/7/19) after EVO with an announcement beforehand, maybe the 5th or 6th at latest.

EDIT: Anyone reading this and wants to make a fake leak, here is your date to focus on!:4pacman:

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
Oh, I'm aware that we wouldn't necessarily be getting other things if we de-emphasized Smash and I think it made sense for it to get so much focus last year when it was pretty much Nintendo's only notable game releasing besides the Let's Go remakes/reimaginings. Like I said, I saw people disappointed that last year the game was the only thing they really saw.

It's just, especially these days, that Nintendo has so many big upcoming games and releases they can talk about and should be prioritizing over DLC. The community and the market both demand the next big, new title and are less interested in the DLC for existing ones. And I mean, they rightfully should be no matter the pedigree of Smash and it's crossover with other big games. Nintendo is about so much more than Smash and they're doing so much more right with the Switch than they have in over a decade. I know they have to talk about it at some point, but I think it's important to let Smash take more of a back seat to everything else they have to show. I mean, I love Banjo Kazooie as much as anyone else... but they also dominated the coverage of what was an excellent Nintendo E3 showing everywhere else that was the stuff Nintendo fans have only dreamed of in the past... and that feels a little wrong to me. HD Fire Emblem, HD Animal Crossing, HD mainline Pokemon with open world mechanics, Luigi's Mansion 3, third party support that hasn't been seen since the Gamecube era, and new IPs gaining attention? Hell yeah, that's Nintendo firing on most of its cylinders for the first time in years and answering what people wanted the Wii and Wii U to be in many ways. Just to be overshadowed by Banjo Kazooie in Smash. A great and huge moment that I can't take away from... but it also just frustrates me and disappoints me a little.
At this point, you're more arguing against public perception than anything else. it seems a tad contradictory to say that people are more interested in the new releases than DLC, and in the same breath claim that the entire presentation was overshadowed by the reaction to Banjo's smash reveal. Whether we want it to be so or not, smash is huge, I have no words to describe how unbelievably huge it is. If nintendo believes that people want to see more of the other stuff, then that's what they'll showcase, but if people want more smash, then it's gonna be more smash. Personally, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable for people to want more smash from nintendo either, as people, in my experience have an innate desire to not be strung along for long periods of time. People want info, and they're generally not very patient about it. It was the same thing with animal crossing. (though personally, I'm glad that they're taking their time to deliver a good product and not overworking their employees)

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
So apparently a patch isn't needed for the upcoming amiibos that are releasing. So there goes any hope that it's releasing this week.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So apparently a patch isn't needed for the upcoming amiibos that are releasing. So there goes any hope that it's releasing this week.
As you said before, August makes sense (or rather, you expect Hero dropping in August). Right after EVO is the best scenario for us I feel.

EDIT: Also your "GENO PURE STAR" find hidden in European Starling....We are losing our minds, but what if......

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
An announcement for a Smash direct or big Smash thing for August at EVO would make sense for Geno, too. As someone else already mentioned, that's something that the core Smash fan base that supports Geno will be listening to. An announcement there leading into an August Smash direct where Geno is revealed as a bonus would make a lot of sense. Granted, I MASSIVELY doubt this perfect scenario myself, but wouldn't it be great?

Also, what if characters are numbered by reveal order and not release order? Geno could be fighter 74 in such a case, with 75 and 76 being the concluding Fighter's Pass characters. It'd make the numbering a bit odd, yeah, but I wouldn't call it so farfetched. They could also always number Geno as 76 and save 74 and 75 for the other two FP slots.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
An announcement for a Smash direct or big Smash thing for August at EVO would make sense for Geno, too. As someone else already mentioned, that's something that the core Smash fan base that supports Geno will be listening to. An announcement there leading into an August Smash direct where Geno is revealed as a bonus would make a lot of sense. Granted, I MASSIVELY doubt this perfect scenario myself, but wouldn't it be great?

Also, what if characters are numbered by reveal order and not release order? Geno could be fighter 74 in such a case, with 75 and 76 being the concluding Fighter's Pass characters. It'd make the numbering a bit odd, yeah, but I wouldn't call it so farfetched. They could also always number Geno as 76 and save 74 and 75 for the other two FP slots.
Its hard to imagine that this scenario could be possible, but lets compare this to what we got last year after EVO.
Started with The Belmonts. May not have been good for an E3 reveal, but great for Smash fans. Then echoes Chrom and Dark Samus, again not E3 but Smash fans wanted. Then it ends with King K. Rool! A massive fan request.

Now of course, we will not get this much content, but it does show that we got some fan heavy requests during that time. It looks pretty good for a fan request at least.

Also yeah, reveal order isn't to far of a stretch. It would be weird if he was considered fighter 76 on the website...Imagine seeing The Hero then Banjo followed by two blanks then Geno...Kind of odd. Reveal order seems good.

MattX20

Smash Hero
A Smash direct is certainly possible, but I don't think the DQ heroes are going to be the focus for it. Especially since the DQ heroes were basically confirmed as a July release. My guess is the Smash Direct will probably mention character #4 or at bare minimum a more concrete picture of Banjo's release date.

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
Okay, I thought just occurred to me and it has to do with Google Theory. I remember that the four characters that were found was Banjo, Doomslayer, Ryu Hayabusa, and Artorias. I remember PapaGeno and other people saying they tried over a hundred characters and those where the only four that could work and people saying that Artorias probably showed up because his name was attached to Dark Souls DLC. During that time did anyone ever tried "Hero"? I know that people tried Erdrick and Luminary and probably all the seven Square Enix characters on that list along with many other characters. Did anyone every gave The Hero a try when testing Google Theory? I'm sure it's too late now to test it out, but that could've been the final clue to see whether if Google Theory was actually real or not.

I'm just thinking things over and coming to realize that Spirits, Assist Trophies and Mii Costume aren't the sole factor that deconfirms a character, instead what it really is that Sakurai & his team had no plans to make those characters playable so they were turn into Spirits, Assist Trophies and Mii Costume. It's their way of letting you know who's off the table of DLC picks. Sure if there's another Fighters Pass or they decided to make a bonus fighter they could definitely take any of those characters and make them playable, but just not for this current Fighters Pass seeing how things were planned out a head of time. Maybe the whole Geno bonus fighter is true, but I'm very doubtful that Geno is part of the Fighters Pass.

But speaking of potential Smash Bros Direct, one thing that should be in it is Echo Fighter DLC. Enough with the Mii Costumes, we know that these characters don't take that much time and seeing how they're willing to make 4 different skins for The Hero (which is most likely why he's taking a long time) then I would love to see other characters get some Echo Fighters. Give us Shadow, Dixie Kong, Jeanne, Ms Pac-Man, Proto Man, Black Shadow, Medusa, and Octolings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom