• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Playing through SMRPG for the first time rn, so add me to that support list please.

With so many fan favorites finally making it in, I think Geno's chances may be at their best right now. Even despite just getting Hero announced and Geno's presence as a Spirit, I don't think these really rule him out. Geno's been highly requested for over a decade now just like Ridley, K. Rool, Simon and Banjo plus we know Sakurai has considered him before. I get that he doesn't do much for Square from a business/advertisement point of view but perhaps they were able to negotiate a bit of give & take to please the fans. Hero of course has no shortage of fans from the DQ community, but SE benefits from the marketing angle a lot, so maybe with him already in, they could be more open to letting Nintendo finally use Geno as a pure fan pick.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Playing through SMRPG for the first time rn, so add me to that support list please.

With so many fan favorites finally making it in, I think Geno's chances may be at their best right now. Even despite just getting Hero announced and Geno's presence as a Spirit, I don't think these really rule him out. Geno's been highly requested for over a decade now just like Ridley, K. Rool, Simon and Banjo plus we know Sakurai has considered him before. I get that he doesn't do much for Square from a business/advertisement point of view but perhaps they were able to negotiate a bit of give & take to please the fans. Hero of course has no shortage of fans from the DQ community, but SE benefits from the marketing angle a lot, so maybe with him already in, they could be more open to letting Nintendo finally use Geno as a pure fan pick.
I hope you enjoy the game. It’s very good for being a game that both Nintendo and Square Enix (formerly Squaresoft) collaborated on. The music also isn’t too bad either and some of it is really catchy. :grin:

Dan

Smash Lord
But I have one question tho
Why geno and not mallow?
Is it for the design?
Mallow is a frog that looks like a puff in suspenders, attacks with cymbals and a walking stick and cries all the time... on the other side of the ring we have Pinocchio with an arm cannon who is actually a doll inhabited by the stars which can transform into a canon and save the universe, and his name is just unpronounceable symbols (thus making him the Prince of video games)...

Listen, I love both characters and would be over the moon if both got in, but I think it's obvious why one is more popular than the other.

GrungeMan

Smash Apprentice
Mallow is a frog that looks like a puff in suspenders, attacks with cymbals and a walking stick and cries all the time... on the other side of the ring we have Pinocchio with an arm cannon who is actually a doll inhabited by the stars which can transform into a canon and save the universe, and his name is just unpronounceable symbols (thus making him the Prince of video games)...

Listen, I love both characters and would be over the moon if both got in, but I think it's obvious why one is more popular than the other.
Your answer inspired a question I want to pose to the Geno thread:

Does anyone here have Mallow in their top 5 most wanted (or even top 10)?

My answer is, sadly, no. I find Mallow endearing, but I won't be shifting my support to Mallow any time soon.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

My answer is, sadly, no. I find Mallow endearing, but I won't be shifting my support to Mallow any time soon.
No, not even close. I like the guy, but Geno kinda trumps him in every way when it comes to being a potential Smash newcomer.

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman

Well, fair enough I guess

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Honestly, Mallow probably wouldn't make a top thirty for me. I enjoy Geno a great deal... but I've never really particularly loved Mallow or much to do with him. He's always been permanently benched as soon as I get the option. He's got a decent story in the game, for sure, but again, I just mostly am apathetic to the idea of him in Smash. Geno is by far my preferred character and he would represent Super Mario RPG just fine on his own.

And I have trouble justifying Geno over Waluigi and Toad (I don't particularly care about either option, but I think their absence is felt) at times, I certainly couldn't justify Geno and Mallow before either of them got in to Smash.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I love Mallow, but I think he has more potential as an assist trophy than a fighter. If I couldn't get Geno and could get Mallow, though, I'd be A-OK with that and still insanely hype. He's criminally underrated. I LOVE him and his character arc, and I wish people gave him some loving, too.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Absolutely not. I'm in this for Geno, Mallow's fine but I don't think he should be in Smash.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Mallow feels like such a long-shot considering Geno isn't even playable (yet) that I guess he would be on my nonexistant list but the reality of it just seems very out there. He'd have really cool abilities with his weather powers and whatnot. I think he'd make an amazing Krystal-tier AT if he was ever added. Tbh I think if he was added to the Mario spin-off games like Kart and Tennis he'd have a very Toad-ish personality and be pretty well-liked by a lot of people.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
the idea of Geno being in Smash but not mallow has always left a bad taste in my mouth, but I know what's Realistic, so I will take what I can get at this point.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
On the topic of Mallow, I have also really disliked the idea of Mallow as a part of Geno's move set. That would feel absolutely shoe-horned in because they don't really have a canonically reason to go together like that and Geno has so many options available to him move wise that I feel like you'd be crippling his potential just to get Mallow in as pseudo playable.

I could handle him as a Taunt since we've got a couple of those now... But that's as far as I'm willing to go.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Nothing against Mallow, but I wouldn't want him over Geno, or to leech into Geno's potential moveset as EricTheGamerman said. Making Mallow an assist trophy or a part of a SMRPG stage would be fine for me.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
We keep assuming Geno will be a bonus fighter. Then it will turn out that Geno is FP character 4 and Mallow is the bonus fighter.

What a plot twist.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Honestly, I would be fine with having Geno by himself since that's how he has always been known or acknowledged in the company and as a character.

Mallow is recognized by his side because of course he is a new character alongside him (and even then not the only one since there's Booster, Smithy's gang, etc). He is more of a member of the main crew than a duo with Geno.

Geno and Mallow together does not seem like viable since they're not, umm, "close"? Like not like they're rivals or don't acknowledge each other as I believe there's some close respect between the two throughout the story of the game and some emotion during the final events of the game but they're not :ulticeclimbers:. They're not :ultrosalina:and the Lumas. They're not :ultbanjokazooie:.

They're comrades, and friends but not to the extent of the ones I named above. They make more "sense" if they fight by themselves but not together. Hopefully that is clear enough.

:bowser:.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I've already said my piece on the whole "Geno+Mallow" deal in one of the thread's earliest pages (the concept was actually brought up in one of those fake-as-hell text leaks that we had to subsist on before E3 last year). While I wouldn't really be upset if it happened, at the same time, I don't really think it should considering they both easily have enough potential to fill up a moveset on their own and Geno's the one we've specifically been asking for for ages now. Mallow would be perfect AT/taunt fodder and I do think he definitely should be in the game in some way if Geno is, but stapling them together as a "tag-team fighter" would just feel forced and unoriginal.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'd actually prefer Mallow to Geno. Mallow has more personality, more unique move potential, and gets much more of a focus in Mario RPG than Geno does.

That said, neither of them are anywhere near my top ten.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Mallow would make a good assist trophy bonus. If we got Geno with a Super Mario RPG stage though he could be a good stage Hazard depending what the stage itself is. It's kind of like Magicant and the Flying Man helping out, or he could appear in the background sometimes and send some rain and thunder over the stage. It'd be nice to get some kind of representation of him through a stage or an assist trophy if it came to that. Geno definitely stands well enough on his own as a fighter, and I don't really see much connection between them outside of the two of them starring as playable characters in Super Mario RPG.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'd actually prefer Mallow to Geno. Mallow has more personality, more unique move potential, and gets much more of a focus in Mario RPG than Geno does.

That said, neither of them are anywhere near my top ten.
Yeah thanks for your input on characters you don't care about.

At absolute worst, Geno and Mallow have the same exact unique move potential, with a lot more of Geno's attacks/specials being realizable in smash, so it leans towards him.

As for Mallow having much more of a focus in the game, I disagree completely. There are a couple locations that feature Mallow's story, but the entire game is Geno's story of defeating Smithy. That is literally his mission and why he is sent there.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Mallow will exist in the same capacity as Morgana the cat and Slime. He'll be a taunt, show up during a couple attacks, be in the final smash, or just show up on the stage. He'll likely be on the banner though

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Mallow will exist in the same capacity as Morgana the cat and Slime. He'll be a taunt, show up during a couple attacks, be in the final smash, or just show up on the stage. He'll likely be on the banner though
I doubt he’d be on the banner. He’s not nearly as important to Super Mario RPG as Slime is to the Dragon Quest series and Morganna to Persona 5. Those are the only two companion characters to show up on the banner, and they’re incredibly affiliated mascots. And I wouldn’t come close to calling Mallow a mascot of Super Mario RPG. Plus, despite Toad being a big part of Peach and Daisy, they don’t even appear on the banner.

I know Mr. Saturn also just kind of shows up there too, but he’s just kind of the exception, not the rule and he doesn’t really specifically appear next to the Mother characters and Sakurai clearly has a soft spot for Mother as a whole given the amount of content we have.

I don’t know, anything more than a taunt appearance (or background stage appearance, we don’t need more bull**** character stage hazards/bosses/whatever), and it feels way too out of place to me.

bardbowman

Smash Apprentice
doubt he’d be on the banner. He’s not nearly as important to Super Mario RPG as Slime is to the Dragon Quest series and Morganna to Persona 5. Those are the only two companion characters to show up on the banner, and they’re incredibly affiliated mascots. And I wouldn’t come close to calling Mallow a mascot of Super Mario RPG. Plus, despite Toad being a big part of Peach and Daisy, they don’t even appear on the banner.
I’m not sure if that really matters as much, for two reasons. First, this is Sakurai we’re talking about. He’s known for paying homage to the less iconic, and normalizing fan favorites with obscure legacies. Judging this by the perceived clout of a character in an (admittedly) already obscure-ish game gets awfully close to the “fan rule” mentality that Sakurai so often breaks.

Second, I’d argue that Mallow has a lot going for him by association. Him and Geno are the only two playable characters unique to SMRPG, and he’s often brought up in the context of Geno’s massive popularity. So I think that translates well into Mallow appearing in Smash alongside Geno in some form or fashion, irregardless of the “mascot” label. Most (if not all) Geno fans love Mallow too, and Sakurai knows this.

Not saying he’d absolutely be on the banner, but I definitely think that’s a possibility. In any event, I’m pretty confident we’ll see more Mallow love if Geno is a DLC fighter.

Emphasis on if.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I’m not sure if that really matters as much, for two reasons. First, this is Sakurai we’re talking about. He’s known for paying homage to the less iconic, and normalizing fan favorites with obscure legacies. Judging this by the perceived clout of a character in an (admittedly) already obscure-ish game gets awfully close to the “fan rule” mentality that Sakurai so often breaks.

Second, I’d argue that Mallow has a lot going for him by association. Him and Geno are the only two playable characters unique to SMRPG, and he’s often brought up in the context of Geno’s massive popularity. So I think that translates well into Mallow appearing in Smash alongside Geno in some form or fashion, irregardless of the “mascot” label. Most (if not all) Geno fans love Mallow too, and Sakurai knows this.

Not saying he’d absolutely be on the banner, but I definitely think that’s a possibility. In any event, I’m pretty confident we’ll see more Mallow love if Geno is a DLC fighter.

Emphasis on if.
I feel like if he shows up as a taunt or a part of his Final Smash he’ll be on the banner

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I dunno about y'all, but Mallow having enough of a role to show up on the freaking banner would be sick. He doesn't have to be a fighter or hugely integrated into Geno's move set. Just being in a taunt or something would be cool. I could see his left/right taunt being that with his up taunt being perhaps an appearance of his spirit form. Down taunt would be the arm-fold pose, pretty obvious.

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post & other recent posts
I doubt he’d be on the banner. He’s not nearly as important to Super Mario RPG as Slime is to the Dragon Quest series and Morganna to Persona 5. Those are the only two companion characters to show up on the banner, and they’re incredibly affiliated mascots. And I wouldn’t come close to calling Mallow a mascot of Super Mario RPG. Plus, despite Toad being a big part of Peach and Daisy, they don’t even appear on the banner.

I know Mr. Saturn also just kind of shows up there too, but he’s just kind of the exception, not the rule and he doesn’t really specifically appear next to the Mother characters and Sakurai clearly has a soft spot for Mother as a whole given the amount of content we have.

I don’t know, anything more than a taunt appearance (or background stage appearance, we don’t need more bull**** character stage hazards/bosses/whatever), and it feels way too out of place to me.
You really will just argue anything huh?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I doubt he’d be on the banner. He’s not nearly as important to Super Mario RPG as Slime is to the Dragon Quest series and Morganna to Persona 5.
Yes Mallow is unimportant in SMRPG when compared to Red Pikmin, whose association with Piranha Plant presumably must go back decades for him being featured in the banner.

1561567952766.png

Those are the only two companion characters to show up on the banner, and they’re incredibly affiliated mascots.
Right, except the aforementioned Red Pikmin as well as Kazooie. I wonder what all four of those downloadable DLC characters have in common?

And I wouldn’t come close to calling Mallow a mascot of Super Mario RPG.
???

"Slime and Morgana are the only two companion characters, except for the other one(s)."

What a ridiculous hill to die on man

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Oof, not important to SMRPG?

First off, he's the first ally you get in the game. Other than Exor, you really don't see anything crazy for monsters prior to Mushroom Kingdom. Then you find Mallow and he's really the first thing aside from Exor that seems un-Mario like, and it's when you really realize the adventure that is in store for you.

Second, he has this entire plot arc about realizing that his life is a lie and that his parents are out there somewhere, which I will admit we don't get enough moments with Mallow being worried, sad, or hopeful about that before it happens. We have his whole arc about growing up and not crying so much over things, which I think is actually dealt with well over the game, though could be touched up a bit more in a remake.

He's also the only real Black Mage. Mario has a fire spell, but up until late game it can't hit everyone and the game prioritizes his Jump spells first. Geno and Toadstool do Neutral dmg with their spells if I remember correctly, but Mallow is the one who has multiple elements within his spells and even has both Star Rain for massive Neutral damage to all enemies but also a minor healing spell. Many of the enemies in the game are weak to spells that Mallow has exclusive access to unless you glitch it like the Pink Geno glitch. There is a reason I mostly kept him in my party all the way to the end with my livestream of the game, and while it's mostly because I love him as a character and to me he is a symbol of 'Umm, wow, this isn't like my other Mario games, is it?' I also love using him.

Can we also talk about how the stronger Mallow gets, the progressively cuter his damaging spells get. Like his first couple damaging spells are serious, but then you get Snowy and it's like 'Aww, Mallow is figuring out who he is!'

Speaking of spells, if we get a remake, I would like more spells for our characters. Toadstool and Mallow do have a lot but I would like more for everyone that isn't Toadstool since I think she's covered well with status ailments and healing with one big ol' damage spell. She can have more if they want of course, but I would like Mallow to have one or two more spells and for Geno so have even crazier 'I SUMMON THE POWER OF HEAVEN!' or 'MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE!' spells. I'd like Mario to have a bigger variety than 'Jump N' Shoot' now that he has more of a legacy of a wider arsenal, and Bowser really got the short end of this 5-person stick when it came to spells so give him a few more. Speaking of Bowser's spells...

Did anyone else think you had to beat these boss-like monsters to unlock them for Bowser at first? My first time through I beat that Poison Cloud guy before unlocking the spell for Bowser and thought that was how I did it. I love this idea of Bowser summoning other bosses because he is the REAL OG Boss. However, this can lose it's effect of appeal if he gets these spells without fighting them, something that clearly can happen. I feel like some of Bowser's spells should be locked behind optional boss battles if they do a remake, and then you can make those spells strong or, hell, make it so Bowser is like a summoner but not in the traditional sense: he doesn't summon through a bond or ritual, he summons you because YOU KNOW BETTER THAN TO NOT COME WHEN BOWSER SUMMONS YOU!

Also, apparently it's my birthday today. I get to be reminded yet again that I'm almost 30 and still a failure. YAY!

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
With my current thinking, I think this will happen.

- During EVO, Hero is announced to release in a few days.
- In the inevitable September Direct, Banjo's release is announced (after the presentation / a few days later).
- During TGA, character #4, Doom Slayer, is announced. In addition to that, a final Smash Ultimate Direct is announced for later that month (December).
- In the Smash Ultimate Direct, Doom Slayer is released after the presentation. Ryu Hayabusa is announced as fighter #5, release February. At the end, Sakurai wraps things up: "we had 108 stages, and 76 unique characters in this Smash game (echoes excluded). That's right. 76. We have one last surprise for you." Geno awakens as a last fighter without a stage, so Geno is not part of the fighters pass (for the same price as PP), released around E3 2020 (summer). Sakurai rounds up with saying that the ULTIMATE Smash wouldn't be complete without one of the most requested characters ever. He thanks everyone for playing Smash Ultimate, and starts with a new project (not Smash).

TBone06

Smash Ace
So I just want to look at a tweet by PushDustIn PushDustIn

“Time to talk about Banjo and Kazooie (Translator Note: Ill refer to them as BK for tweeting purpose).

BK were incredibly request by fans in the West for a long time. Even after King K. Rool and Ridley, requests were still coming in.”

This further confirms Sakurai is aware of his fan bases which further confirms why the Geno fan base can never give up. We’ll get there, we just have to keep letting him know that’s what we want. It does feel like we’re one of the last long term, highly requested fan bases that hasn’t been satisfied yet.

Oddball

Smash Lord
At absolute worst, Geno and Mallow have the same exact unique move potential, with a lot more of Geno's attacks/specials being realizable in smash, so it leans towards him.
If by "realizable" you mean "already done,' then sure. Geno's attacks are shooting things out of his hand. We already have a lot of character that can shoot things out of their hands.

Mallow controlls the weather, fights with a staff, and the top half of his body disconnects from the bottom. I'd say that's just a tad more unique.

Yeah thanks for your input on characters you don't care about.
You're welcome, snookums. I love you and value your opinion as well.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
If by "realizable" you mean "already done,' then sure. Geno's attacks are shooting things out of his hand. We already have a lot of character that can shoot things out of their hands.

Mallow controlls the weather, fights with a staff, and the top half of his body disconnects from the bottom. I'd say that's just a tad more unique.

I love Mallow and agree that his move set potential is very much there, but with that said, uh... I can see why your initial posting was met with poor reception. Coming into a support thread for characters you don't want much (if at all) to state how you'd prefer another character (who, even then, you still don't have much (if any) investment for) can be a bit off-putting. I don't really see how it's going to contribute to much other than to poke some bears, you know? I don't approve of anyone being a jerk to you either, though. All around, uh...

Awkward turtle's in the house tonight.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord

Yeah I'm not going to continue an argument with someone who has no idea what the hell he is talking about but thanks for stopping by!

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I''m still annoyed that Peach still has that same final Smash. It would have been a perfect opportunity to use something from the RPGs like Peach Beam or Psych Bomb.

Oddball

Smash Lord
As it's obvious I'm not welcome here, then Never mind. Forget I was here.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So I just want to look at a tweet by PushDustIn PushDustIn

“Time to talk about Banjo and Kazooie (Translator Note: Ill refer to them as BK for tweeting purpose).

BK were incredibly request by fans in the West for a long time. Even after King K. Rool and Ridley, requests were still coming in.”

This further confirms Sakurai is aware of his fan bases which further confirms why the Geno fan base can never give up. We’ll get there, we just have to keep letting him know that’s what we want. It does feel like we’re one of the last long term, highly requested fan bases that hasn’t been satisfied yet.
Can we talk about this more!? He was well aware of Banjo's popularity even AFTER Ridley and K.Rool were announced.

That is huge to me and we should be very hopeful now about Geno. I very much doubt someone who was consider, at one point, by the creator of Smash and even the fan appeal keeping the character in the main stream of speculation was NOT considered at all as a fighter and JUST a spirit.

I am feeling good gang.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom