• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The Mii costume situation is weird, I admit. It casts strong doubts but it isn't a silver bullet either considering:

-it's a simple port and isn't brand new.

-the situation isn't the same as Knuckles and Tails because Knuckles was already an assist trophy and no third party franchises have gotten two totally unique characters yet. Castlevania has an Echo and Street Fighter basically has a borderline semi clone.

It'll be interesting to see how things turn out. There's also the fact that Dragon Quest has a giant character pool to pull from since they've literally opened the door for all 11 mainstream games so coming up with one Mii Gunner replacement wouldn't be hard. Yeah, I'm starting to think that a Mii costume reveal wouldn't be as conclusive as we had hoped it would be...

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Barely missed 1000, happy 1001!

Nintendo saw the boatloads of support for Banjo, I think it's time they shift their focus to the new king of fanservice.

Maybe not today, but one day he'll be added. I'm more than confident.

Firox

Smash Master
I still think Benedict Cumberbatch would be a good voice a good Geno as in my head I always picture his rendition of Doctor Strange and Geno to be similar.

If not then definitely Kirbopher since he's pretty good and he is the one who made "Rawest Forest" which greatly impacted the Geno fanbase though out the years.
Benedict Cumbercatch? lol I could just imagine...

Mario: "Hey, Prince Fluffy Fluffy, does your friend always do stuff like that?" (points at Geno meditating)
Mallow: "Geno?...Buddy?...How you doin' over there?" (Geno awakens with a start)
Geno: "I was looking into the future....trying to see the possible outcomes of the coming DLC..."
Mallow: "How many did you see?"
Geno: "Fourteen million six hundred and five."
Mallow: "And how many do you get into Smash?"
Geno: "......one."

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
ive actually taken the time to look at some Japanese reactions to both the Hero and Banjo.

I expected there to be more enthusiasm for the hero, but to my surprise... they all seemed so... lax about it. as if they were saying "ahh the hero, nice, that's pretty cool"
but when the jiggy bounced across the floor in the banjo trailer? they went NUTS, just like most of us in the west (which felt good to say the least!)
if the fighters pass ends and theres no geno? i'd feel pretty bummed, mostly for you guys. I would still hold out hope for a 7th non FP reveal though!

tin foil hat time
ive actually been thinking about the next 2 FP characters, specifically of what we DON'T have yet. that being a female character, and a Villain. not just that, but also that one leak someone made months ago that predicted joker. heres a video from blocked content explaining it.

basically it says:
1. square rep but cant confirm which one. (SE throwing names around)
2. a sega rep (specifically atlus) being joker.
3. a Microsoft rep (source had heared banjo).
and the most garbage part...
4. edelgard from fire emblem
5. sylux from metroid

while the last two are probably not likely (fire emblem being the shillest pick right now, and sylux being nothing compared to ridley), they DO fit what we're missing currently.
I know we don't really NEED a female or villain role for the FP to be complete, but if it WAS true, and I had to pick something safe to ensure Geno DOES have a spot in the FP, then I guess I would choose a villain that is also a female, just to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Sarah Kerrigan?
GLaDOS ?
Medusa?
...Gruntilda? lol

alright, no more tinfoil~

also, wow! over 1000 pages! never stop my Geno bros :]
Although I really enjoy the series I’m not terribly attached to the character showing up Smash but I really think the next rep is going to be Jill Valentine from Resident Evil with a Leon skin swap. That would give the FP a female rep, and a third party rep. The music isn’t as memorable as other series but that to me is the only issue I see.

domriver

Smash Lord
Got Banjo and Ridley in this game so Geno's pretty much the last character I want. Can't be too upset if my 20+ year wishlist ends up down to a single character.
For me I got Ridley, King K Rool, and now Banjo-Kazooie - all theres left is Geno. Im hoping Sakurai will complete the list also congratulations on 1000 posts Geno bros!

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Warned for off-topic spam
So for real guys..
Geno doesn't need anymore calls. The demand is/was loud and clear, if it's going to happen then it's going to.
We need a higher push for the Mystical Ninja/ Goemon. A character that'll enrich Smash and truly deserves a spot. If you happen to be under Nintendo's nose make a mention of the Mystical Ninja. It'll help our boi.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
So for real guys..
Geno doesn't need anymore calls. The demand is/was loud and clear, if it's going to happen then it's going to.
We need a higher push for the Mystical Ninja/ Goemon. A character that'll enrich Smash and truly deserves a spot. If you happen to be under Nintendo's nose make a mention of the Mystical Ninja. It'll help our boi.
Thanks.
Food for thought: Going into a character support thread for a character that’s not yet playable and telling the people there they don’t need to support said character but instead support a completely unrelated character might actually be kind of annoying and not a good look?

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
So for real guys..
Thanks.
You are in the Geno thread my dude.

But yes Goemon would be baller.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
A lot of people think that if there's gonna be a Capcom rep, it would be the likes of Leon S. Kennedy or Dante from Devil May Cry, but actually I wouldn't mind a character that was off the wall like Phoenix Wright. It'd be hilarious to see him throwing Objections :smash:across the battlefield. :laugh:

But nonetheless, I still have a shred of hope that Geno will show up somehow.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
A lot of people think that if there's gonna be a Capcom rep, it would be the likes of Leon S. Kennedy or Dante from Devil May Cry, but actually I wouldn't mind a character that was off the wall like Phoenix Wright. It'd be hilarious to see him throwing Objections :smash:across the battlefield. :laugh:

But nonetheless, I still have a shred of hope that Geno will show up somehow.
As far as Capcom reps go I think Resident Evil and Phoenix Wright are the two franchises that would be the most interesting and the most likely.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Food for thought: Going into a character support thread for a character that’s not yet playable and telling the people there they don’t need to support said character but instead support a completely unrelated character might actually be kind of annoying and not a good look?
To tell you the truth, I think Geno would be the last DLC announced. I'm not asking Geno fans to stop, but to ask for the Mystical Ninja too. I mean almost every Smash player by now knows how much Geno is requested. We need that exposure for Goemon. That's why I'm asking.
You are in the Geno thread my dude.

But yes Goemon would be baller.
I know, the biggest base, that's why I'm asking. and Thank you, I wish the best for Geno too.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
I gotta admit, in light of B-K and Hero getting in, it really does look like Sakurai can get literally anyone he wants. No obstacle is too big for that guy. That said, I'm convinced now that if Geno doesn't get in, it's solely because he doesn't will it so. People have often said that SE would be to blame given their apparent "stinginess" with their IPs, but now that Cloud (arguably SE's most iconic character) and all of DQ's heroes have been added, I really don't see why SE would bar the use of Geno, a character they likely never intended to use again that would also net them a stupid amount of cash for simply handing him back to Nintendo. Banjo is living proof (figuratively speaking) that both Nintendo and Sakurai are FULLY aware of the fanbase. Now it's time for us to see if they really ever plan to fully deliver. Should Geno miss the boat yet again, and I'm talking even in the face of possibly future DLC fighter passes, then I don't see much hope of ever getting Geno as long as Sakurai is at the helm.

In short, I seriously hope that Banjo is a sign that Sakurai/Nintendo plan to give the people what they want. The good news is that the DLC thus far actually does seem to lean more towards fan hype rather than purely promotional interests. Let's just hope they keep up the trend.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
To tell you the truth, I think Geno would be the last DLC announced.
Goemon would be sick, but honestly, I don't think Geno's demand is enough quite yet. Banjo had a willing party in Phil Spencer and King K. Rool + Ridley were first parties. Square is a stick in the mud with their second biggest franchise in the game now, and it's debatable whether or not they'd be a willing party. For that reason alone, even though Geno is highly demanded, I don't think we should simmer down at all. If anything, I think we need to be even louder than ever before.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The "safe picks" are probably wrong anyways. Dragon Quest was seen as virtually impossible before the leaks and so was Banjo, nevermind Nintendo no show Persona 5. Most people sure as Hell didn't predict the Smash 4 DLC right. Choices like Resident Evil are safe but maybe they're too safe for their own good.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Not sure how Kosher it is to discuss this here but man if Smash's modding community got really popular for Ultimate, I'd LOVE to see Geno like this if there was no other way to get him:

https://youtu.be/vutC5Xbil9w

If there was an easy way to duplicate kr bring over assets from Project M, Ultimate is the best game to do it. It has every character in the series so far and its just a fantastic way to make people happy on a fan level. That is if it gets easy to do someday. Anyway, Im hoping Geno and Isaac (honestly Lyn and Knuckles were complete by the original PM team) still somehow make the game somehow, but if niot, Id be totally game for this method, cause Geno mods look so good now.

Only reason why i bring this up is because this may be the ONLY game where Everyone is Here, probably ever.

Last edited:

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
Goemon would be sick, but honestly, I don't think Geno's demand is enough quite yet. Banjo had a willing party in Phil Spencer and King K. Rool + Ridley were first parties. Square is a stick in the mud with their second biggest franchise in the game now, and it's debatable whether or not they'd be a willing party. For that reason alone, even though Geno is highly demanded, I don't think we should simmer down at all. If anything, I think we need to be even louder than ever before.
Thank you.
Ok, here's what I think.. Banjo was the better deal off Steve. The MS, N relation had to be made and Banjo was chosen because fans were loud enough. Sheer luck of timing and good will from Spencer's side made it happen.
I think Geno was asked more than Ridley and K.Rool, almost everyone I met (Smash players) knows the demand of Geno. Not that many knew or wanted Ridley and K.Rool, yeah I know, despite charts.
As I said to someone, for asking Sakurai that much, as a final tease, he'll be the last reveal. Think of it as a punishment for all the headache he got from those requests. Think about it, Cloud and ALL Dragon Quest heroes, Sakurai must've gotten something in return, and I think it's Geno.
Now as to my boi, well, an east character that not many know of his demand, that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
The demand for Geno will not be enough until we get him into Smash Bros as a playable character. If we let up at all, Nintendo is going to think we are satisfied with him as a spirit/battle icon/mii costume etc.

We need them and Square to understand the bigger picture and that we want him playable.

GoeGoe

Smash Lord
The demand for Geno will not be enough until we get him into Smash Bros as a playable character. If we let up at all, Nintendo is going to think we are satisfied with him as a spirit/battle icon/mii costume etc.

We need them and Square to understand the bigger picture and that we want him playable.
Hmm, maybe I would've done the same if I were in your place.. I see your point. The question is, aren't the characters decided already?

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I gotta admit, in light of B-K and Hero getting in, it really does look like Sakurai can get literally anyone he wants. No obstacle is too big for that guy. That said, I'm convinced now that if Geno doesn't get in, it's solely because he doesn't will it so. People have often said that SE would be to blame given their apparent "stinginess" with their IPs, but now that Cloud (arguably SE's most iconic character) and all of DQ's heroes have been added, I really don't see why SE would bar the use of Geno, a character they likely never intended to use again that would also net them a stupid amount of cash for simply handing him back to Nintendo. Banjo is living proof (figuratively speaking) that both Nintendo and Sakurai are FULLY aware of the fanbase. Now it's time for us to see if they really ever plan to fully deliver. Should Geno miss the boat yet again, and I'm talking even in the face of possibly future DLC fighter passes, then I don't see much hope of ever getting Geno as long as Sakurai is at the helm.

In short, I seriously hope that Banjo is a sign that Sakurai/Nintendo plan to give the people what they want. The good news is that the DLC thus far actually does seem to lean more towards fan hype rather than purely promotional interests. Let's just hope they keep up the trend.
Which I would wonder at, given Sakurai has said in interviews before that he himself wanted Geno in since Brawl.

I can't imagine he would ultimately decide that Geno is not big or worthy enough compared to other characters given his immense fan support over the years. Geno's had like Banjo-level fan support. It can't be relevancy or obscurity given K. Rool and Banjo are in.

If he doesn't get in, I suspect their reasoning would be his moveset ironically -- they might perceive Geno as unoriginal because he uses guns, and that's the reason why they gave him the Mii Gunner Costume in the first place. And that reasoning would be nonsensical given almost every single main protagonist in the DQ series, all themselves extremely generic sword fighters, were just added as DLC, but that's the only reasoning I can think of that makes any sense.

So either Geno will end up being the last DLC character or there's some other factor at play we didn't consider.

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3377...-smash-bros-being-picked-as-the-most-played-g

Latest Sakurai article in Famitsu. He spends a good amount of time talking about how games people play as kids are probably still important to them as adults and goes into how his childhood hobbies shaped him as a person.
Aka SMRPG and how he mentions it nearly every game cycle lol. Watch, if Geno isnt in, he'll say how he wishes he got him in this time XD. COMEON SAKURAI JUST DOOOOOOIT

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
https://gonintendo.com/stories/3377...-smash-bros-being-picked-as-the-most-played-g

Latest Sakurai article in Famitsu. He spends a good amount of time talking about how games people play as kids are probably still important to them as adults and goes into how his childhood hobbies shaped him as a person.
Which makes a lot of sense why we have retro picks, as well as ones like Banjo, as nostalgia is clearly an important factor to him. That's good to know. Now I only hope he can secure Geno(but that falls more on SE) and maybe get other cool ones like Takamaru and Lip some day.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This isn't a Goemon thread. Please stop talking about it randomly. It's fine as a side conversation as long as the focus is on Geno, but not used as the main thread focus.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord

Ovaltine

Smash Master
It’s really hard not to get hopes up for Geno after getting Banjo and reading stuff like this.
It does at least give me hope for Geno in future DLC, indie or further passes, or in future Smash games, if not a return to form for him elsewhere. Nintendo and Sakurai both clearly realize how important childhood games are for people and how they can make a lasting impact, even for future generations. I'm sure they haven't forgotten about Geno, and I wouldn't be surprised if something was in the pipeline for him, Smash or not.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Oh boy, the the Hype-ening 2: Star Road Boogaloo big boi hype post is almost done.

I don't know if you guys are ready for this. It truly is a call to action.

Firox

Smash Master
If he doesn't get in, I suspect their reasoning would be his moveset ironically -- they might perceive Geno as unoriginal because he uses guns, and that's the reason why they gave him the Mii Gunner Costume in the first place. And that reasoning would be nonsensical given almost every single main protagonist in the DQ series, all themselves extremely generic sword fighters, were just added as DLC, but that's the only reasoning I can think of that makes any sense.

So either Geno will end up being the last DLC character or there's some other factor at play we didn't consider.
I really hope this isn't the case. Calling him a "gunner" or being satisfied with the mii gunner moveset as an adequate form of representation, is as far as I'm concerned, an insult and oversimplification of his abilities. Like you say, that kind of reasoning would be nonsense given all the generic swordfighters we now have on our hands.

When I think of Geno's moveset, I'm thinking along the lines of a sand ninja puppet from Naruto—a walking swiss army knife of death. He could have blades pop out of his wrists for his jab and tilts, making for a quick and reasonably ranged melee weapon. His side smash could be a barrage of finger bullets from his hand, which ironically in this case could be like Mii gunner's side smash. Or you could have a side smash similar to megaman's where he fires a powerful projectile in the form of his elbow cannon. His neutral B could be a chargeable Geno Beam complete with the triple star charge-up mechanic while his side B could be Geno whirl. For Up B, he could either use his feet as rockets ala Ironman or fire his rocket punch arm downward for some upward momentum. The launched arm could even meteor smash people like Megaman's dair. In short, if Sakurai could concoct a full moveset from a potted plant, I don't think anyone could convince me that there isn't an awesome and original moveset to be had in that caped little badass.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
It’s really hard not to get hopes up for Geno after getting Banjo and reading stuff like this.

Just knowing Geno's situation, he strikes me like Pirahna Plant except with a pretty large and vocal fanbase. I wont ever deny that Geno certainly does have things going against him (like being a supporting character in a Square owned Nintendo RPG), BUT its his popularity, nostalgia and Sakurai's own acknowledgment that gives me hope.

Trust me, im not banking on him being one of the last 2 characters, only because I do expect more iconic characters to show up instead, but i have this super weird feeling we will get 1 or 2 more characters outside of this pass, and one of them will be Geno. Just a really odd feeling. It may not even include a stage or anything, but I can see Sakurai adding Genoas his final WTF character (like Duck Hunt, ROB, G+W, etc) that actually has a large fanbase around it.

Idk, call me hopeful, but this is how I see Geno and how his obscurity has actually helped him. I dont think he has to compete with anybody for a fighter pass slot, not because he doesnt have a chance, but because I can see Sakurai holding him off as a crazy, final announcment for this game, considering the characters status is almost legendary and his Mii Costume was entirely singled out with a title card.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Has Sakurai ever mentioned Super Mario RPG outside of his Geno Mii costume posts? I'm actually not familiar with any instances of said discussions...

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Hmm, maybe I would've done the same if I were in your place.. I see your point. The question is, aren't the characters decided already?
They might be. But it didn't stop Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo support from continuing to tell Nintendo who they wanted. We need to keep going.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace

Ovaltine

Smash Master
They might be. But it didn't stop Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo support from continuing to tell Nintendo who they wanted. We need to keep going.
The Fighter's Pass has already been decided, so that 'might' would be 'has'. In terms of whether they want to plan future DLC at any point is unknown, though. Either which way, our support shouldn't simmer down. If he doesn't make it this time, he may the next. There is also the possibility of seeing a return outside of Smash, too. It means quite the opposite of going mum; it means we need to rally and show our support more than ever.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Fighter's Pass has already been decided, so that 'might' would be 'has'. In terms of whether they want to plan future DLC at any point is unknown, though. Either which way, our support shouldn't simmer down. If he doesn't make it this time, he may the next. There is also the possibility of seeing a return outside of Smash, too. It means quite the opposite of going mum; it means we need to rally and show our support more than ever.
Exactly.

I still keep supporting many characters, even those I know have no chance. One shouldn't have to stop supporting till they're in the role you want. Even if it never happens. Of course, everybody can change opinions and that's fine too~

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised to have seen very little fan art of wanted characters in the 'Everyone is Here' mural.

I've seen art for Rayman and Bomberman but otherwise, nothing. I would love to see some good mural fan art including Geno (and no, the blurry job that is the Grinch 'leak' doesn't count haha). Calling any bored artists who are up for it :grin:.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I'm surprised to have seen very little fan art of wanted characters in the 'Everyone is Here' mural.

I've seen art for Rayman and Bomberman but otherwise, nothing. I would love to see some good mural fan art including Geno (and no, the blurry job that is the Grinch 'leak' doesn't count haha). Calling any bored artists who are up for it :grin:.
Heh, that's funny, because I've wanted to make a mural Geno for a while now. I just haven't gotten the chance to and have other pieces I'm working on (including a celebratory Banjo-Kazooie art piece).

Thank you for reminding me, though. ;)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, if SMRPG were to be remade, would you want the gameplay to change in a similar vein to the FFVII remake?

yakko789

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Sakurai. The games we play as kids do leave a lasting impression on us, and we remember them with more fondness as adults. As gamers, we grow up and spend a lot of our time playing games, but we can never really quite reach that same high as we had when we played games for the first time ever. Makes sense to me why I love Geno so much, and lots of other Nintendo characters from the SNES era, cause that was my first console, and I was like, 7 years old. Now I'm in Uni working on a Video Game Design Bachelors, so yeah, games and characters we're exposed to early in life can have a huge impact. I know Sakurai said the characters are decided already, and I hope Geno is in there, but I'm just going to sit and wait patiently, cause Sakurai always breaks his rules and surprises us.

Firox

Smash Master
I agree with Sakurai. The games we play as kids do leave a lasting impression on us, and we remember them with more fondness as adults. As gamers, we grow up and spend a lot of our time playing games, but we can never really quite reach that same high as we had when we played games for the first time ever. Makes sense to me why I love Geno so much, and lots of other Nintendo characters from the SNES era, cause that was my first console, and I was like, 7 years old. Now I'm in Uni working on a Video Game Design Bachelors, so yeah, games and characters we're exposed to early in life can have a huge impact. I know Sakurai said the characters are decided already, and I hope Geno is in there, but I'm just going to sit and wait patiently, cause Sakurai always breaks his rules and surprises us.
Joker: "Tonight I'm going to make you break your one rule..."

Sakurai: "I have rules???!"

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Joker: "Tonight I'm going to make you break your one rule..."

Sakurai: "I have rules???!"
Oh no... he's going to make Sakurai add Spongebob!

(I think that's literally the only "rule" (seeing as most of them are fan-made) that's stayed consistent by this point)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom