• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Another thing about a Fortnite rep is that I honestly don't see the sense in it besides targeting the casual gaming market. Yes, Fortnite was extremely popular, but is Fortnite really gonna stay relevant within the next decade? Minecraft was different because while Minecraft was extremely popular and trendy for its time, this game has managed to stay relevant for a decade and still has a dedicated playerbase to this day. I can't say the same for Fortnite and I feel like we're at a point where people have moved on from Fortnite, and now its all about Fall Guys and Among Us right now. I feel like the popularity for Fortnite has IMMENSELY died down and that's why I think a Fortnite rep wouldn't make much sense to me.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Well the most popular Smash is an obviously dated, functionally broken Gamecube game so maybe Sakurai just shrugged and decided being a product of your time isn't that big of a deal.
I would argue that by the end of it's run, Ultimate will be right up there with Melee in terms of still being played today. Also, that comment about being timeless isn't so far off.

OG Smash is still played for the nostalgia and for reflection on how much the series changed over time. Just look at the crazy mod they have now!

Melee is Melee, enough said there.

Brawl is still loved by so many, as much as I disagree.

And now Ultimate is just doing character requests left and right. Smash 4 is getting overall panned now because, let's be honest, when you have all the characters come back AND you just make the game better in nearly every way, it's hard to go back to Smash 4 and see much good in it.

If we do get another Smash and they do cut out a bunch of the cast, that will cement Ultimate just as hard as Melee. It will become the new Brawl for being loved by the casual community because it had all the characters you could ever want.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
About this Fortnite thing, I just wanna say I'm surprised it took this long for the thread to bring it up. I'd had this on my radar for a couple days already and I'm surprised someone like papagenos papagenos hasn't done a video on things that have happened recently, but maybe he's still crying over Arle being deconfirmed.

Fortnite fits a Mii Costume too well to be anything more, especially with the list of characters we still have left. We already got the cultural icon people actually wanted. Since the language fits prior precedent for Mii Costume/Spirit content, it only make sense for it to fall into that category if it's anything at all. Obviously this isn't something to reveal at the TGAs, so their big announcement there will likely be something else, not that I'll care too much.

Also, since this is the Geno thread and we are talking about Fortnut, it gives me the opportunity to post this gold.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
To be honest, I am getting tired of the majority of new characters just coming from the 10s decade. Steve just barely missed that cut by being 2009, but Minecraft's legacy is really founded in the 10s. So far 8 of the 14 non echo newcomers in Ultimate have been from the 10s, and more than half of that just from the last 5 years. Can we get alittle more timeline variety here, please?

I think I'm still annoyed at the surprising amount of resentment 90s speculation characters got during development, like K Rool (which is ironic as its the 80s that dominates the full roster but that didn't bother detractors).

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
View attachment 290658

Anyone remember this artist plz? I remember there was one of this exact render but with a colored background. Can you tell me the name on Twitter or the photo, plz?

thanks!
FINALLY! I've been looking literally everywhere for this render. This is easily my favorite render of Geno so far.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
https://mobile.twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1321555009230831618 this is where the fortnite stuff is coming from. If the VGA stuff ties into Smash and Fortnite and this is all true then that doesn't really suggest a mii costume and implies playable as If anything were to be revealed there it wouldn't just be a Fortnite mii costume.

I don't think (or hopefully don't think) Fortnite has much of a shot anyway. Other people have used factors like fan demand or meme demand which I shouldn't have to point out why that seems more so like an excuse to discount Fortnite as pretty much no one wants it in.

The reason I doubt it is because it is going to end up being a fad. I'm fairly sure pretty much anyone can see that it's going to die down and drop as fast as it rose up in popularity. Granted, it's lasted longer than usual but pretty much everything is spelling for it to die down. With this in mind, unless Nintendo want to go against the norm of how they construct business decisions via Smash and add a series which is literally just to involve that player base and after that, have only the merit of being on the roster to return without the series itself having any impact or should this scenario come to pass future. Corrin and Byleth could be argued but they are in completely different situations because they are first party while Fortnite is a western third party IP.

QQS

Smash Lord
6069C039-3706-471B-9105-4BD373191CB1.jpeg

FAITH IS THE LAST THING YOU LOSE: GENO FOR CHRISTMAS!

Credit to all these artists:
Smash 3C Geno alternate render. Credits: @Xenthalos for the polishing the model and making the pose (and a lot more) + @AghanimZeldaPic, @PuzzledNine, and @MaybeGreg for the crisp textures. And shoutouts to the original S smashbroslegacy XP team for the model. Photo seen at Twitter: Flambo237. Just put a hat and letter on their masterpiece.

papagenos papagenos Fatmanonice Fatmanonice

GENO RESURRECTS!

MattX20

Smash Hero
To get back on topic with Geno, even with the recent revelation regarding when Steve's development took place, it still stands to reason that the development team would probably make sure the next fighter being worked on would be significantly easier to implement by comparison. We all know that MinMin had technical issues, and Steve had to have the whole game re-edited to fit his playstyle. I imagine Geno would fit well into the criteria of a much simpler character to design, and we've yet to see the Banjo/massive fan request pick of this pass. Steve is more like the DQ heroes of this pass

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
To be honest, I am getting tired of the majority of new characters just coming from the 10s decade. Steve just barely missed that cut by being 2009, but Minecraft's legacy is really founded in the 10s. So far 8 of the 14 non echo newcomers in Ultimate have been from the 10s, and more than half of that just from the last 5 years. Can we get alittle more timeline variety here, please?

I think I'm still annoyed at the surprising amount of resentment 90s speculation characters got during development, like K Rool (which is ironic as its the 80s that dominates the full roster but that didn't bother detractors).
I think Sakurai truly wants Geno to be in Smash. I really do. That's why he got the costume and spirits for him and Mallow. It's the best he could do against Nintendo's final say. I think the problem is Nintendo not thinking it's worth having Geno over other characters that would conceivably be more lucrative financially for them. A DLC spot means that Nintendo is going to have to go into their own pocket and spend money on a character who might not make them a profit to get that money back. Which is why they keep reaching for other characters who are more recognizable for the masses. All I can say is, thank God for Banjo other wise DLC gets a giant fail from me. May as well not even done it.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't see Fortnite getting a character; I doubt they'd be able to come up with anything resembling an interesting moveset.
Agreed. Remember Wayforward not saying anything about Shantae in Smash and No More Heroes not really commenting on Travis for Smash, among a few others? Look what happened in the end for all those.

Last edited:

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I like to think that when companies are asked about their characters joining Smash, they say no comment because if they say anything else, Smash fans will go on their social media and raid their comment section lol.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I like to think that when companies are asked about their characters joining Smash, they say no comment because if they say anything else, Smash fans will go on their social media and raid their comment section lol.
That is one possibility, but that isn’t why they were silent with the companies I mentioned, I reckon.

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman
If we just don't type any messages, we wont reach 3500 pages, and then you all will meet a punishment worse then death...
Annoyance.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
If somehow Nintendo really does hate us and we get a Fortnite character in Smash, I'm just going to give up
Which is exactly why I've been buying pass 2 character by character. Got lucky with buying the first pass and not regretting any of their choices but I'm skeptical my luck will hold out forever.

Dukefire

Smash Master
The community is going WAY too deep when it comes to seeking out the next challenger.
Really, anything can go either way. Though, remember that Shantae was revealed at the base game as a spirit while Travis got the Mii Costume in FP2. So, WF may still be on the table, it's just that we don't know if they continue or not behind the curtains of Nintendo and Sakurai

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The community is going WAY too deep when it comes to seeking out the next challenger.
Really, anything can go either way. Though, remember that Shantae was revealed at the base game as a spirit while Travis got the Mii Costume in FP2. So, WF may still be on the table, it's just that we don't know if they continue or not behind the curtains of Nintendo and Sakurai
-> Says the Geno thread goes way too deep when we are theorizing off of actual new information and past events.

-> Randomly tells the Geno thread that Shantae may be in as playable based on nothing but Spirits Don't Deconfirm (something intelligent people already knew way before June) when Geno has way more evidence than that and we are talking about it.

Really makes ya thonk...

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
I can see a reference of Sakurai telling jokes about how Geno demand was insane when he is in. I mean: “as you can see, there were 4.000 pages on the Geno thread, the most in the community, not counting also the thousands of Fan Art, comics, pieces of music, video sequences, clothes, mods, dolls, and handycrafted figures like the one I like on Instagram...”

81C7740A-32B1-4A67-87C7-DE2C34E72852.jpeg

Then he continues: “it’s insane all the work/love/dedication/passion you put out there people, specially talking about a One Game Playable Character from 25 years ago. Can you imagine how it would have been if Geno, for example, went in the line of Mario, Link or Sonic? He would be more famous than Mickey Mouse. If you people did this just for a mistery character with no more than one playable game, I wonder what you could have done if he was always active. That’s why we decided (with my own impulse) to Awaken Geno! (Laughs)...”

Well English isn’t native but you get my point! Have a nice day!

Attachments

Dukefire

Smash Master
-> Says the Geno thread goes way too deep when we are theorizing off of actual new information and past events.

-> Randomly tells the Geno thread that Shantae may be in as playable based on nothing but Spirits Don't Deconfirm (something intelligent people already knew way before June) when Geno has way more evidence than that and we are talking about it.

Really makes ya thonk...
Ok, the irony that was explained there. Sure it can be applied to me as well, but you still have to remember about others that does WAY deeper than what some usually think about. Of course, Shantae was brought up and it was just a general reminder that at this point, is still debatable.

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
If companies want no problem with Smash , they should just say that "we have no content planned for smash" or something among those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom