• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qeomash

Smash Journeyman
Did you guys buy the Geno costume in Smash 4?
No, and I didn't buy any DLC after it was announced. That Geno was snubbed for a costume for the Mii fighters I couldn't even use since I mostly just played with remote friends was really, really disheartening.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
This is Geno's last chance. If the Mii Costume drops. We bow our heads, and this cult puts a twenty year desire to rest.
Yeah, honestly, I feel it's really now or never. If he doesn't get in now, he'll just... never return. Ever. I'll concede to that.

My hope is people with game dev passion can make fan games or something to revive him in such a case. Even if Nintendo tries to C&D them (same with Square), well, at least the fans will be doing the job that they so adamantly refuse to do.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Yeah, honestly, I feel it's really now or never. If he doesn't get in now, he'll just... never return. Ever. I'll concede to that.

My hope is people with game dev passion can make fan games or something to revive him in such a case. Even if Nintendo tries to C&D them (same with Square), well, at least the fans will be doing the job that they so adamantly refuse to do.
Never give up hope, and never say never. There is always a chance he could be in, whether in this game or the next. You just have to believe, and if/when the moment comes where he is announced, all efforts and all of your hoping he would be in will pay off.

QQS

Smash Lord
I can feel his reveal soon. Character #75 or #76. Our blue wooden puppet-star will be a fighter. Just keep calm and faith. It all adds up. He is more alive than ever and has everything in his favour.

For me, it’s just a matter of weeks to have Geno revealed as a fighter in Ultimate :)

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
So I had a feeling people would get the pop list done pretty quickly so I started with the dislike one first. I counted these using a sort and then going by hand so there probably going to be a little off from the finished one someone will do in a few days I'm sure but here we go.

Least wanted character in smash top 25. (furthest good stopping point before it all starts to tie up so felt right)

1. Steve/Minecraft 870
2. Sora 451
3. Waluigi 409
4. Geno 388
5. Goku/"Anime" 341
6. FE/"anime swordfighter" 264
7. Doomguy/slayer 208
8. Fortnite/default 204
9. Shantae 176
10. BWD 145
11.Tracer/Overwatch 131
12. Crash 114
13. Master Chief 74
14. Byleth 61
15. Ryu Hayabusa 59
16. Reimu Hakurei 58
17. Sans 56
18. Rex 52
19. Rabbids 50
20. Frisk 45
21. Rayman 41
22. Edelgard 37
23. New pokemon 34
24. FNAF/Freddy 29
25. Lloyd 27

If I counted every "3rd party" it would be in the high teens low 20's but it doesn't really fit with the spirit of the poll so I didn't tally them.
So tracer didn't do as bad as twitter made it seem but steve... oh boy.

Also what is this about giving up?!? Geno is so much bigger right now than he ever was before by an unfathomable margin. We would be crazy to throw in the towel when we actually have something to work with besides our hope. If sakurai comes out and publicly ridley's him, then yeah I might consider it but don't give up now you all we've come so far. That said as IC's have shown us getting support for veterans is incredibly easy so smash 6 should be the easiest push in our history ;)

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Well it's a good thing there's multiple DLC happening. As long as there still support then Geno might happen eventually.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
welp.

At least Steve has twitter followers, a few past polls, and over 140k Smash YT video likes and 1mil views on his side, looking at that Least Wanted list...

Last edited:

Bendario

Smash Apprentice
I genuinely can't believe all the people that didn't support Geno through the Mii costume, and now thinks Nintendo and S-E should notice the non-monetary support they are offering years too late. For the record, I bought the mii costume on both WiiU AND 3DS.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Steve, Sora, and Waluigi in the negative hundreds which is pretty much what I'd expect. Not a good look

Isaac, Geno, and Shantae are strong even with negative votes factored in. Reimu has bizarre levels of support but having spent years on /v/ I'm certain it's a meme

Anyway good job Genoids. Without negatives taken into consideration we're 1st place, and even with the combined efforts of the Gamefaqs hate mob we're still top 3 or 4

Geno chads live on

welp.

At least Steve has twitter followers, a few past polls, and over 140k Smash YT video likes and 1mil views on his side, looking at that Least Wanted list...
You think maybe you'd be more at home at the Steve thread or what? That's all you talk about here

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
You think maybe you'd be more at home at the Steve thread or what? That's all you talk about here
I like Geno, too.

I would talk about Steve in the Steve thread, but it’s nearly always quiet, as the other members aren’t very active. Even if you get a conversation started, it ends pretty quickly. Nearly all of the Steve support is outside this website.

And it doesn’t help some people are disrespectful about him...

Last edited:

Plank08

Smash Lord

My dream is after the last character is revealed Sakurai adds mod support and basically says “you think you can do betterdo it your self!”
Will it happen?

no

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
And it doesn’t help some people are disrespectful about him...
It's also pretty disrespectful to exclusively proselytize about another character in a thread that isn't for him, though. If I went into the Shantae thread and posted about Geno 95% of the time, it would be borderline nonsensical to think I'm the one being disrespected when people in that thread tell me reasons they wouldn't like him in the game. Just the idea of going in the Geno thread and typing up a disappointed reply to a poll where Geno got the most votes is deranged

Awesome and glad Geno did so well.
Yes it's very reassuring. I was convinced Sora would top the charts

My dream is after the last character is revealed Sakurai adds mod support and basically says “you think you can do betterdo it your self!”
Will it happen?

no
Yeah absolutely not

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
I did buy the mii costume in 4 because at the time it was the closest thing we'd ever get to Geno so I had to make due with what we had.

obviously never used mii gunner much aside from smash run where the gunner, sonic and ganondorf were my most used. Gunner for obvious reasons, sonic because it was always hilarious seeing how ridiculously fast he'd get with max speed. Ganon, the same just with the attack powerups instead of speed.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Will it happen?

no
If only. Nintendo would be the last company to introduce Mod Support. Look no further than the amound of "Nude ZSS" skins on Brawl Vault back in the day.

I will point out that the Project M developers never explicitly said they received a C&D. If that game had been released in lieu of Brawl as an official title it would be a series favorite.

Rohanx17

Smash Lord
Reimu has bizarre levels of support but having spent years on /v/ I'm certain it's a meme
This, 4chan is literally the only place on the net I've been able to find substantial amounts of Reimu for smash talk, no disrespect to anyone who really want her but combined with the lack of presence on any other big poll the past few years up to this point I think this might just be a raid.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I genuinely can't believe all the people that didn't support Geno through the Mii costume, and now thinks Nintendo and S-E should notice the non-monetary support they are offering years too late. For the record, I bought the mii costume on both WiiU AND 3DS.
As I understand it, it's a bit of a double-edged sword, although I do personally believe the best bet is buying Geno's costume to show monetary support. I've also seen the argument that buying it also shows complacency with that decision, though, and showing that people will buy Geno as a costume and are satisfied with that much. It's got its perks and cons. I believe in monetary support above all else, though... but honestly, given Sm4sh was on one dying system and another system that was already lagging behind, I wonder if Nintendo would have even taken the sales of that costume too seriously to begin with.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's also pretty disrespectful to exclusively proselytize about another character in a thread that isn't for him, though. If I went into the Shantae thread and posted about Geno 95% of the time, it would be borderline nonsensical to think I'm the one being disrespected when people in that thread tell me reasons they wouldn't like him in the game
I don’t care if y’all wouldn’t like him, it’s the way y’all say it. And people outside this site do it too, treating their opinions as fact saying he “shouldn’t” or “can’t get in.” If I misinterpreted posts then I’m sorry, but that’s how it feels a lot of the time, how some things are said even after showing or explaining things about him that contradict what’s said or when I just want to show how he could work. Most people who dislike him don’t simply say it, they just sound rude about it or say a bunch of stuff without being asked.

And I don’t see how it’s rude to bring up another character when it’s relevant based on what someone else said or whatever topic, and a lot of us want multiple characters anyway. At least I’m not trying to direct people away from Geno like some trolls that act nice about a character but then say “but how about this other character?” while acting like they won’t get in. I hardly even bring Steve up here unless he’s relevant to a current topic; most of my past posts about him here were in regards to someone else bringing him up first, even.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
I don’t care if y’all wouldn’t like him, it’s the way y’all say it. And people outside this site do it too, treating their opinions as fact saying he “shouldn’t” or “can’t get in.” If I misinterpreted posts then I’m sorry, but that’s how it feels a lot of the time, how some things are said even after showing or explaining things about him that contradict what’s said or when I just want to show how he could work. Most people who dislike him don’t simply say it, they just sound rude about it or say a bunch of stuff without being asked.

And I don’t see how it’s rude to bring up another character when it’s relevant based on what someone else said or whatever topic, and a lot of us want multiple characters anyway. At least I’m not trying to direct people away from Geno like some trolls that act nice about a character but then say “but how about this other character?” while acting like they won’t get in.
Honestly, when people bring up Geno in any capacity, they get crapped on, so I seriously empathize. In this hellhole of a fandom, sometimes it's hard to just breathe a character's name without getting dog-piled.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Honestly, when people bring up Geno in any capacity, they get crapped on, so I seriously empathize. In this hellhole of a fandom, sometimes it's hard to just breathe a character's name without getting dog-piled.
You just have to learn to derive entertainment from responding to posts like that with a picture of a dabbing Geno or something. I was a huge Ashley supporter during the lead up to Ultimate and I had more fun replying to anti-Ashley posts on /v/ than I did posting in the Smashboards Ashley thread. I have no idea when things changed and people started feeling personally attacked when a character they support has detractors, even back in 2008 people were giving as good as they got in character arguments and we all had more fun overall. You cannot and should not everyone to accommodate you wherever you go, read the room if you don't want to get dogpiled, or learn to not care.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This exactly.

It’s really not too bad when including everyone, but what some haters say is just mind-boggling sometimes and they tend to seem loud and annoying to the point that it starts to hurt, even if they’re a minority. I used to not be too bothered (save for a few instances, like when someone acted like they just didn’t want Steve fans to be disappointed but ended up being a hateful liar), but it’s gotten very annoying and it’s not just when it happens to Steve. I’m also annoyed when people act this way toward other characters, even ones I don’t personally care about either way, like the dumb Fire Emblem argument that happened in the main Speculation thread. You could be minding your own business and then “Rabid Smash Fan draws near!”

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You cannot and should not expect everyone to accommodate you wherever you go, read the room if you don't want to get dogpiled, or learn to not care.
Is it really so much to expect others to, at a bare minimum, be respectful? Why is dogpiling something someone should just expect and not a behavior we can and should discourage for healthier discourse and a more hospitable fandom environment?

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Is it really so much to expect others to, at a bare minimum, be respectful? Why is dogpiling something someone should just expect and not a behavior we can and should discourage for healthier discourse and a more hospitable fandom environment?
I think you lose the expectation of respect when you enter a thread for Breaking Bad movie speculation trying to start a discussion about why you think season 8 of Game of Thrones was reviewed unfairly. It's non sequitor

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think you lose the expectation of respect when you enter a thread for Breaking Bad movie speculation trying to start a discussion about why you think season 8 of Game of Thrones was reviewed unfairly. It's non sequitor
I would be more prone to agree if this thread wasn't so large and general as to encompass a much wider range of discussion than its title character.

You all have built a community beyond Geno himself. And if the reactions to CJ's posts are any indication, he's able to talk about his Smash-relevant interests here and receive a sense of community and empathy he doesn't get elsewhere. That's far from 'deranged.'

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
As I understand it, it's a bit of a double-edged sword, although I do personally believe the best bet is buying Geno's costume to show monetary support. I've also seen the argument that buying it also shows complacency with that decision, though, and showing that people will buy Geno as a costume and are satisfied with that much. It's got its perks and cons. I believe in monetary support above all else, though... but honestly, given Sm4sh was on one dying system and another system that was already lagging behind, I wonder if Nintendo would have even taken the sales of that costume too seriously to begin with.
Geno costume was also the last batch of DLC where a majority of the player base has at that point moved onto other games.

I wouldnt take sales into consideration that much

Plank08

Smash Lord
I just want Geno in smash so we won’t have to argue anymore at this point, even though I think his controversy is completely undeserved in the first place.(Random Question, if you could choose, what would you want his render to be?)

Last edited:

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
This, 4chan is literally the only place on the net I've been able to find substantial amounts of Reimu for smash talk, no disrespect to anyone who really want her but combined with the lack of presence on any other big poll the past few years up to this point I think this might just be a raid.
Or maybe, consider the fact that Hero, Terry and Sans' inclusion opened the door for character people initially thought not possible. Touhou has always had a strong online following, it just tends to separate itself from mainstream gaming communities. Just because you personally aren't into it doesn't make the character a "meme".

This is why people are starting to get tired of Nintendo purists. I understand that this is a Nintendo franchise, but Smash has long since moved past it and is now representing different parts of the gaming landscape. So when a character like Terry gets revealed, and the Smash community throws their usual fit, how about trying to appreciate what you've got, because other gaming communities would kill to have Terry freaking Bogard as a playable guest character in their games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom