• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Genesis III - Results Discussion

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
So now that the much hyped ‘Genesis 3’ has come to a conclusion, I thought it might be wise to begin a discussion thread of peoples thoughts and feelings about the outcomes. Viewing at ungodly hours of the morning in Australia, I was treated to some of the best smash I have ever seen. From intense 1 v 1’s, easily the greatest collection of teams in smash 64 history and the return of the much fabled Isai.

SPOILER:

My personal favourite was the gruelling duel between Wario and Superboomfan. The winners final was the match that gave Wario the victory, and the Final was split 1 - 1 (both going 3 - 0 in each set). Both players were very much in the race, and nearly every game came down to the last stock or 2. Not without its controversy, something happened at the start of the GF match after boom was a stock up, and the game was reset. Although it left me with an uneasy feeling, boom won the next 3 matches, so I feel it didn’t hinder him too much.

Why Wangera Why?
Was the chant of many American/Isai fans during either of the games these 2 battled it out in. The Japanese Puff main owning both encounters with the main man of smash64, 3-1 from memory. The interesting thing I got form these games was the insane amount of crazy combo’s Isai was going for, and if he missed, Wangera was waiting with one of his own. The second set was more impressive from Wangera, taking out his Fox and Pikachu. Many people thought he was sandbagging, but I tend to think he made an input error and fell to his death, he is human after all. But i do find it very strange that in teams, Isai would comfortably take out Wangera and Wario, but just seemed rushed in singles. Foo for thought.

The rise of Pikachu!
Few pikachu’s did all that well in recent tournaments, but Genesis 3 is the reminder that everyone needs a pocket pikachu. Whether it is to face Kirby’s, or have a safe Jiggly counter. And with Wario’s tech skill, a whole bunch of smashers will be practicing his techniques, and its not possible to increase his position on the tier list, but his lead may extend at this rate.

Taco’s may be remembered form this tournament as the man who got triple shined by Isai, and if not, maybe remembered as the man who chose Falcon vs Booms Kirby (is there any thought behind this decision?), but I would pay money to see him and The Z in teams again. Also a shoutout to Pete, our best hope from the island under the equator, who finished 5th in teams with Dexter, and 33-64th in singles, but unfortunately I was unable to see any of his matches. Come online when you are back home, I finally figured out netplay!

And now I end on a note that will have some people enraged, but this is not my intention. I have always enjoyed Hyrule Castle, probably not more than dreamland, but definitely my 2nd fav by far. Most likely this is due to my love of Link and to a lesser extent, Fox. I know it can still be campy, and have rubbish matches, but with a time limit…..would this still be a problem? Just at least to have as a counter pick. Didn’t see Peaches Castle come out either? Anyway, unlike most, I can enjoy a majority of the stages.

I would love other peoples thoughts also! Through Kero and Wizzy did insanely good work amongst so many others. Poor Mariguas Rats though….

Shears

Smash Master
Hyrule with a timer is worse than Hyrule without a timer. Dreamland is the only good stage and therefore the only legal stage. You didn't see peachs because it wasn't a legal stage.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm eager to read SuPeRbOoMfAn's impressions of G3. Primarily I'd like to get his account of the matches against Wario.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Use the best overall character the entire tournament and barely manage to win.

*slow claps for japanese players*

D

Deleted member

yoshi over fox again yet again! ;) a tier list adjustment definitely needs to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

sorry double post (delete this message please).

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Oh that statement makes me cringe. Although I think in friendlies, fox is the higher tier, but in tournament, Yoshi is probably the slightly safer option:

'Hello BackGrab, nice to see you'
Yoshi counters Fox

Fox counters nearly everyone especially light weight characters.

D

Deleted member

But I admit Falcon is ahead of Yoshi on the tier list. So Yoshi is #4.

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
Hyrule with a timer is worse than Hyrule without a timer. Dreamland is the only good stage and therefore the only legal stage. You didn't see peachs because it wasn't a legal stage.
Fair call on the timer, I guess instead of dividing the community its good just to eliminate that topic.
Can legal stages be changed ala 'Gentleman's agreement'? Cas that is why I found it strange that no one went there

Shears

Smash Master
Fair call on the timer, I guess instead of dividing the community its good just to eliminate that topic.
Can legal stages be changed ala 'Gentleman's agreement'? Cas that is why I found it strange that no one went there
Gentlemans agreement is bad for tournaments. At local weeklies sure, but at majors there is no place for gentlemen.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
Super Smash Bros. 64 — Results

1. G3|Wario (Pikachu)
2. SuperBoomFan (Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Kirby)
3. Wangera (Jigglypuff)
4. Isai (Fox, Mario, Pikachu)
5. Koroshiyo|KeroKeroppi (Pikachu, Captain Falcon)
5. LAS|Mariguas (Pikachu, Captain Falcon)
7. COG|Wizzrobe (Yoshi)
7. Tacos (Yoshi, Captain Falcon)

9. TR3G|LD (Fox)
9. SF|Dext3r (Pikachu)
9. Koroshiyo|Stranded (Yoshi)
9. SSBM-T|TR3G The Z (Pikachu)
13. GVS|Fireblaster (Yoshi)
13. DASH|Banze (Pikachu)
13. LAS|HeroPie (Pikachu)
13. GODS|Revan (Kirby)

D

Deleted member

Yoshi Power! \^o^/

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Super Smash Bros. 64 — Results

1. G3|Wario (Pikachu)
2. SuperBoomFan (Captain Falcon, Pikachu, Kirby)
3. Wangera (Jigglypuff)
4. Isai (Fox, Mario, Pikachu)
5. Koroshiyo|KeroKeroppi (Pikachu, Captain Falcon)
5. LAS|Mariguas (Pikachu, Captain Falcon)
7. COG|Wizzrobe (Yoshi)
7. Tacos (Yoshi, Captain Falcon)

9. TR3G|LD (Fox)
9. SF|Dext3r (Pikachu)
9. Koroshiyo|Stranded (Yoshi)
9. SSBM-T|TR3G The Z (Pikachu)
13. GVS|Fireblaster (Yoshi)
13. DASH|Banze (Pikachu)
13. LAS|HeroPie (Pikachu)
13. GODS|Revan (Kirby)
Lol I called who was going to get top 8 on the ****ty site that is reddit and got gold.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...top_8s_at_genesis_3_for_fun_and_glory/cz0ikqc

Obviously not in the correct order. Surprised Wangera did so well but it almost makes sense judging by how most US players did vs. Isai's Jiggles.

D

Deleted member

lol, why does everyone have to be so competitive? this 'video game,' is taken way too seriously.

Shears

Smash Master
Because its fun. 4 of our 5 best players in Baltimore have their names/tags start with the letter B, D, S, and M so for fun we made our clan BDSM (Barksanchez, Darkhorse, Shears, Mears). Its just to build a team and have spirit and make competitive rivalries. Its for fun, not for serious.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
I wouldn't bother responding to Cuddlytoys, he's a giant contradiction.
The dude has his own clan called Clan Toys or something online, so I have no idea why he's questioning why others would have a clan too.

Nicholas Scalzi

Smash Rookie
Best match was Isai vs Fireblaster on Yoshi's Story. Lol.
Behind Hyrule and Dreamland, Yoshi story is my fav map due to the YOLO battles on the far right hand cloud.

I tend to agree that a tournament is no place for gentleman. But the gentleman's agreement can also come from 2 people that WANT to play on a different map. Although I don't think anyone in they're right mind would gentleman's Boom (for the camp factor) or Isai (for the rekt factor). Malva, will you still continue to play smash64 after genesis? or was it a one time thing because of the location?

D

Deleted member

Behind Hyrule and Dreamland, Yoshi story is my fav map due to the YOLO battles on the far right hand cloud.

I tend to agree that a tournament is no place for gentleman. But the gentleman's agreement can also come from 2 people that WANT to play on a different map. Although I don't think anyone in they're right mind would gentleman's Boom (for the camp factor) or Isai (for the rekt factor). Malva, will you still continue to play smash64 after genesis? or was it a one time thing because of the location?
you mean yoshi's island? ^.^

Top Bottom