• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Genesis 3 Partners With Nintendo!

In an exciting announcement, Genesis 3 has partnered with Nintendo for this historic tournament! Announced earlier today on Twitter, this brings a new level of prestige to an already incredible tournament. Previously Nintendo has provided things like setups, demo booths, and promotion on social media for large events and it will be interesting to see what Nintendo plans to offer Genesis 3. Excited to see this partnership? Let us know in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future updates on the situation.

Comments

Eh...I'm not too particularly fond of Nintendo stepping into the tournament scene. On a completely unrelated note I was wondering how long it normally takes you to get an article up, Capps. How long do you normally spend on these kinds of things? I'm curious as a fellow writer.

D
I'm glad Nintendo's been sponsoring and supporting competitive Smash. It only brings more eyes to the event, and helps to get it featured when Nintendo tweets or mentions it.

A partnership can only bring good things. Plus, more tournies might be willing to bring Smash in because of Nintendo helping instead of walling.

I hope Bill Trinen will sign up for this tournament. I believe it was EVO he was planning on attending, but that was when Iwata passed away so he changed his plans.

I hope Bill Trinen will sign up for this tournament. I believe it was EVO he was planning on attending, but that was when Iwata passed away so he changed his plans.
same. and the NoA branch especially seems to wanna connect with the community the most so here's hoping it works out.

D
May not be a big step, but it is another step in the right direction.

This is huge for competitive Smash Bros. Even though Sakuri announced his next project, and smash 4 was possibly the last smash bros, this means that Nintendo might be pretty much forced to pay attention to us, and our community...

Kinda curious what Nintendo's trying to gain from this... There was concern that Nintendo would pull their support, but it's at least going a little longer.

In a way, this should really help the community grow. The fact that Nintendo themselves are sponsoring another major competitive tournament is a really big deal, especially compared to a few years ago when it felt like they barely acknowledged any of us. The more exposure we get and the more prize money can be given out to more placings, the more we ca flourish.

Also, anyone think there'll be Pokkén machines?

He actually played in the PAX tournament, I remember seeing his Yoshi in pools.

Come on, man. This kind of attitude does nobody any favors. Hating just for the sake of hating isn't cool.
I support this attitude fully. I just hope I see it on articles where people do it to games that aren't Melee/PM lol.

But yeah that's not needed. It's amusing to some, but it's unproductive at best and downright rude to some.

Last edited:
Although I'm quite happy that Nintendo is sponsoring these tournaments I can't help but feel disappointed that PM keeps on being bullied out. At least the smash competitive community will be growing as a whole so at least I can be happy for that. :D

What a horrible day for Project M.

A partnership can only bring good things. Plus, more tournies might be willing to bring Smash in because of Nintendo helping instead of walling.
Killing off Project M from major tournaments does not bring good things at all. It just further pushes the agenda for Smash 4 that Nintendo has been using Melee's hype to promote since their involvement with the community began.

Last edited:
What a horrible day for Project M.

Killing off Project M from major tournaments does not bring good things at all. It just further pushes the agenda for Smash 4 that Nintendo has been using Melee's hype to promote since their involvement with the community began.
The PMDT told you from the beginning that if Nintendo so much as sneezed at them funny they'd shut it all down. They gave up your right to complain long, long ago.

PM.....

Fuuuuuuuckkkk yooouuuuu Nintendoooooooooooooooooooooooo

*some people say he's still shouting years later*

*eventually his lungs collapsed*

I'm sad for the PM players, but happy for everyone else. A pot bonus to the winners will be a plus.
I don't think Nintendo has ever actually donated money. They just advertise their products and supply setups, which are taken back after the event.

No, I don't think they did. This is a ****ty thing that is happening and to say you don't have the right to complain about ****ty things happening is a horrible attitude.
They definitely said it. Right on the "about" page I believe... Either way it's the reason they shut it all down. They didn't want any kind of legal battle at all. Ask on the PM Reddit or something and they'll give you the archived page.

I'm sorry, but you should of knew PM was set to just step aside when Nintendo was going to get involved.

Top Bottom