• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Genesis 3 is canceled

sidefx

Smash Champion
After much deliberation over the passed few weeks, and talking with the other TO's involved with Genesis (who all/mostly agree) the decision has been made to cancel Genesis 3 this coming summer.

The reasoning behind the decision is two fold.

One reason being the close proximity of Genesis to EVO. Looking at it even closer, attendance, availability, and even fatigue all become glaring issues to overcome. Which ever decision we made on the date, aside from postponing it literally to next year, was a lose/lose situation. Catering to one demographic meant totally disregarding another.

Back to back nationals sounds amazing on paper, but in actuality would be very tiring, fatiguing, and extremely difficult to attend in terms of availablility.

The second reason being personal. I wont go too much into detail, but school takes #1 priority. Having school as a #1 priority prevents me from putting all of my attention and effort into Genesis.

As for when the next Genesis will take place? That is to be decided. For now, Genesis 3 is officially canceled.

I hope to see everyone at EVO :)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Where's the dislike button? :/ Well, I heard the news yesterday and I can't say I'm thrilled, but I know the decision was made with heavy hands. It'll be for the best. I'm just not sure if I'm going to still be playing by the time Genesis 3 comes around, lol.

Insom

Smash Apprentice
Man, that sucks. It was going to be so hype.

At least we got Evo. Should be hype.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Damn! Sooooo sad I was heartbroken to see this. So many people have been making plans revolving around these two big touraments back to back, this is really a huge bummer.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
While Scar gave the idea of the double header thingy and even got people int he EC on board with the idea, I must say that this was the course of action I was hoping would come out of some general thought and theory-crafting on how things would actually go down. I know that Genesis is your baby, but I guarantee you that you will not regret this decision. Genesis is such a prolific series in its own right. To place it one week after EVO was truly unfair to it as one of the most well known and outstanding grassroots tourney series to come to the community. I am very happy since I am a East Coast smasher who has went to CA for tourneys. Now I will be able to go to EVO and Genesis whenever the next one happens.

EVO is great and definitely one of those once in a lifetime type things given the age of smash etc etc so I do like the idea of putting as much into it as possible. I feel like that would not have been possible with trying to do Genesis as well. I am certain that you guys up there were smart enough to figure that out as well. My heart goes out our grassroots and independent stuff like Genesis and ROM and I love the energy they bring to the community and the last thing I would want(or anyone I suppose) is for Genesis to have had partial effort or not as much effort put into it.

TLDR; Genesis and EVO are two large to be close together and I am glad that the operations behind them two kind of saw that. To me it was a no brainer but entertaining the idea was fun while it lasted.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I knew the issues with that idea and I expected it would happen but between evo and g3n I was planning on genesis. What happens if we're at evo again next year :p

People think melee community is dead, but we have too many tournies to choose from. Even S@X and WB7 clash lol.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I guess I just saved a few hundred bucks.

P:M at EVO would be awesome, but it won't happen. :(

Gea

Smash Master
I was hoping more for a date-change but oh well, I'm glad that it won't split attendance. Even though lots of people were going to go to both, it just isn't feasible for most of us.

GameUnderground

Smash Journeyman
Sad to hear this...

I was scared the TOs might really lose some money if turnout was greatly effected. Better to push it off than risk being severely hurt financially.

So sorry this happened to you :(

Zoler

Smash Ace
This sucks since G3 is more fun to most people than EVO, BUT, EVO will undoubtedly be better for the scene in the long run so let's suck it up guys and show everyone how goddamn amazing Melee can be!

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
I probably wouldn't have made G3 at this date, so I'm happy that it's not happening yet, and that I should be able to go in the future!

Construct

Smash Journeyman
Welp :(... Not going to be able to head out West just for EVO. Oh well ;_; Good luck with school Boback, have fun at EVO everyone.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
My heart is disappointed, but my brain agrees that this is probably the right call for you guys to make. It would have been a shame if two of the biggest Melee events of all-time, on paper, had to take attendance away from each other.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Can't say I'm thrilled for the news personally, was planning a lot around these two being back to back. :[ Still, the decision makes sense.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
Genesis 2 was my first national, and after how much fun that was, I couldn't wait to do it all over again. Guess we'll all have to wait just a little longer.

It would be nice if everything just always worked out like it did on paper. Then we'd have back to back nationals this summer, and maybe Fox players would start winning all the tournaments =D The possibilities are endless!

All jokes aside, I respect the decision and am sure you guys know what you're doing.

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Kind of makes sense unfortunately. Sounds hype but it doesn't really make sense to have them back to back. Glad you announced so far in advance so people's plans aren't screwed up.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Don't tell me people are regretting pouring NINETY-FOUR THOUSAND dollars towards charity to get our game at Evolution 2013.

I understand people aren't too thrilled that Genesis 3 won't be happening, but one week in between of two of some of the biggest tournaments the community has ever seen is just unrealistic. I'm sure we'd hear a lot of "I'm not feeling very well" johns at Genesis if the back-to-back thing were to happen.

I just hope Genesis 3 has a planned date coming up around 6 months to a year after EVO. I don't want the Genesis 3 hype to die out completely.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Don't tell me people are regretting pouring NINETY-FOUR THOUSAND dollars towards charity to get our game at Evolution 2013.

I understand people aren't too thrilled that Genesis 3 won't be happening, but one week in between of two of some of the biggest tournaments the community has ever seen is just unrealistic. I'm sure we'd hear a lot of "I'm not feeling very well" johns at Genesis if the back-to-back thing were to happen.

I just hope Genesis 3 has a planned date coming up around 6 months to a year after EVO. I don't want the Genesis 3 hype to die out completely.
^^^^^^
this

Top Bottom