• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Tips and Advice

ZBOYFLESH

Smash Rookie
I've been playing gunner for a good while and would like to give out my knowledge about gunners characteristics. I don't think that i have mastered gunner and looking forward to gaining new experiences.

ZBOYFLESH

Smash Rookie
I'm gonna say that i can identify the biggest problems that gunner has. Firstly speed, Gunner is kinda slow and there is little cure of that. I don't think that there is a perfect set up cause it's kinda like having multiple mini echo fighters with each set up and what works best for you is best. I use Arm Rocket, Charge Shot, Reflect, and Flame Pillar. Arm Rocket can actually use it to shot across the stage if you aim it right. Reflect, well it reflects, but it also helps with cause it stalls. Those 2 things provide more options when it comes to the movement to the character. The Second problem is the lack of combos. I'm told that gunner is a "zoner" but the way i play him is like am man with a shot gun a dagger. Pillar is good to space out but immediately go for an attack. You could walk up and and Fsmash, dash attack, or another pillar if you do a little jump forward. For me, Flame pillar is the only way to come back with something else. You could play like a complete zoner with bombs and rockets do the near same thing but, Simon and Richter do the same thing but better. I don't see it very effective in the long run but i haven't use that set up so i wouldn't know. Getting a kill is kinda hard so most kills come from the side of platform, of stage, and up-smash at high percentages. Charge shot is one is one of your good kill moves. It feels like getting there head shot when it lands. I have to go for know but, i would like to hear what you guys have found on this character.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I would strongly suggest giving the other specials a try. Missiles and bombs are the most popular options among Gunner mains. They allow Gunner more zoning options such as approaching behind projectiles or controlling space in front of Gunner with a bomb to discourage an approach. The Belmonts are not able to do this as effectively.

Gunner has a good amount of combos and kill confirms. Check the combo thread for more information. Also, Gunner has some good aerials for keeping the opponent away or getting combos. Our fair is really good because it allows Gunner to move quickly through the air with gundashing. It also outranges most aerials, and it can confirm into charge blast at kill percents.

For your moveset, your best kill confirm is flame pillar to charge blast. It is really strong especially at the ledge. It can kill everyone from the center of battefield at 100% or less. It can even kill most of the cast at 70% or less at the ledge.

ZBOYFLESH

Smash Rookie
I would strongly suggest giving the other specials a try. Missiles and bombs are the most popular options among Gunner mains. They allow Gunner more zoning options such as approaching behind projectiles or controlling space in front of Gunner with a bomb to discourage an approach. The Belmonts are not able to do this as effectively.

Gunner has a good amount of combos and kill confirms. Check the combo thread for more information. Also, Gunner has some good aerials for keeping the opponent away or getting combos. Our fair is really good because it allows Gunner to move quickly through the air with gundashing. It also outranges most aerials, and it can confirm into charge blast at kill percents.

For your moveset, your best kill confirm is flame pillar to charge blast. It is really strong especially at the ledge. It can kill everyone from the center of battefield at 100% or less. It can even kill most of the cast at 70% or less at the ledge.
I try my best to stay away from the specials when i talk about gunner. Missiles and bombs really aren't my cup of tea. I mostly interested in defaults in gunner. I trying to find more cool little things that i can turn into techniques such as using gunners "fair" to get out of sticky situations cause it has some recoil. Gunner is kinda slow so anything that we can use to give more options in movement. That why i use reflects to stall and arm-rocket so you can blast across the stage.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
You can still b-reverse bombs, but I understand what you are saying. Most of the other Gunner mains are in the Gunner discord. We have some good players in there that help explain Gunner's strengths and weaknesses.
https://discordapp.com/invite/7CdEzy9

There usually aren't too many other posters in this Character Thread besides me. I mainly post here so l can easily pull up useful documents from the discord. I also post here to give the discord information about Gunner's combos.

Top Bottom