• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Roy Questions

Solarquatic

Smash Rookie
Hey there, Roy mains or kinda-mains!

I noticed that there really isn't that much enlightening discussion on the character as of recent, and, while that probably has to do with how little Roy offers in his kit, I had just a few questions to ask about some points in particular.

[Preface: I'm a Falco main, and play Roy to work on my fundamentals, movement, and sometimes pull him out to throw off someone who's practiced the X vs. Falco/Fox MU ad infinitum. I've also never played Marth.]

1) My general play so far revolves around DDing to bait an opponent, then transitioning into a grab or CC dtilt combo. Are there any real ways to get started on a string of attacks, or are these two generally agreed on as being the optimum engaging methods?

2) On the topic of Roy's aerials, the dair is incredibly laggy and is practically a death sentence if you use it offstage. Onstage, I throw it out quite a bit after dtilts or techchases from dthrow to help extend a combo (the wide hitbox gets a lot of power when it is limited by the ground), but I was wondering, are there any other ways to implement dair? Extending a combo on the ground is just kinda limited, and I feel like this could be used for quite a bit more.

3) I also tend to struggle a lot when it comes to pressuring characters who are on a platform directly above myself. Uair is just so floppy and weak that it leads to more pain than its worth, dair can't really apply in the position, etc. etc. Basically, are there any ways to pressure the space above roy that have comparatively low lag?

4) SM4sh has been rubbing off on me, and I keep trying to go for fairs to push opponents off of low battlefield/dreamland platforms to set up something fun. Another fair is usually too laggy; so besides dtilt, is there another option I should look for?

5) Just how useful is nair when you aren't using the second hit to edgeguard?

6) 60% + on spacies, which is better: uthrow for some questionable juggles, dthrow for a techchase, or fthrow for something random?

Thanks in advance if any of you answer!
[or am i just grasping at things and tl;dr dtilt to fsmash all daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay]

SebastianPhoton

Smash Cadet
you can bait your opponent in and hit them with an aerials into forward b, dtilt or smash, on platforms you pretty much just have shffled up air or fair or neutral b, nair is very useful as far as roy goes use it mostly defensively though, when i get high percent grabs i just try throw where i have stage position : |

M-Tude

Smash Cadet
On FD depending on DI, I'm pretty sure you can U-throw into up-air Fsmash. But you have to get the up-air sweetspot. That combo should kill or set up a really advantageous position

On other stages U-throw into dash jump flare blade following DI might be ok.

On platforms, you might have to try a lot of mixups. waveland grab or dtilt is ok on platforms. Otherwise sweetspot Uair and Nair are ok

Top Bottom