• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Retro Newcomer Discussion

Arcadenblog

Smash Apprentice
Could you imagine the insanity if we got the entire cast of Super Mario Bros. Crossover in Smash?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Could you imagine the insanity if we got the entire cast of Super Mario Bros. Crossover in Smash?
That was honestly my original dream for Smash once they started adding 3rd party characters. Before my dream expanded into Every Game on the cover of Nintendo Power 260 and Every Game on the NES/SNES Classics.

But yeah, totally. I need Ryu Hayabusa and Bill Rizer and Bass(as a Megaman echo) to be playable in Smash.

Not so much Sophia the 3rd though. Cause it'd be, like, the size of the Landmaster. But I'd gladly take it as an Assist Trophy. Especially since the Landmaster itself isn't a Final Smash anymore. If we're going to get a playable tank in Smash, I'd much rather have the SV-001 Metal Slug.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I would love to have both Mike Jones and Takamaru in the game. Their games are in a way similar, and exclusive to their own regions. (Although you could say the region-exclusiveness has been broken when Mysterious Murasame Castle game to 3DS VC, and StarTropics is available on the NSO service if Japan downloads the NES app).

As for 3rd parry retro characters. Yes I’d be excited for Ryu Hayabusa, Bill Rizer, Billy / Jimmy, Kunio, and most absolutely Jason and Sophia III, which I can only see possible if they chibi-fy the tank so that it isn’t larger than Wario’s bike. (But in canon, it’s huge).

Does Saki and Isaac count as retro? I really like those two as well. Saki especially would be amazing to have with a crosshair special move where he locks direction as his gun-wielding arm rotates to point the direction where the crosshair is on screen, and a flurry of energy shots fly that way.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I think the best retro option would be the Excitebiker.

Very unique movepool, and comes from a NES classic!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now here is a question I have.

Considering we have full on remakes for Famicom Detective Club coming to the Switch, does Ayumi Tachibana really count as a retro anymore?

Some think she is a gray area while others think she just isn't since this count as the first new FDC entry in years.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That's a good point, I hadn't considered it. People didn't really consider Mac a retro character because he had his Wii game (and was mostly based on that), and after Uprising Pit isn't considered retro anymore. So yeah, she's not a retro character, but I think Sakurai would still consider her more along the lines of one, with the added bonus of relevancy.

What I mean is, if he's looking at NES era characters to make playable, Ayumi has the advantage of having been considered before and also of having a recent title. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Goemon (My boi)
Battletoads
Ryu Hayabusa
Contra guys
Double Dragon guys
Arthur
Mach Rider
Ayumi Tachibana
Wart
Protagonist character of Guardian Legend

I would gladly welcome any of them with open arms.

Now here is a question I have.

Considering we have full on remakes for Famicom Detective Club coming to the Switch, does Ayumi Tachibana really count as a retro anymore?

Some think she is a gray area while others think she just isn't since this count as the first new FDC entry in years.
I think she still does in the way Pit and Little Mac are.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Do Geno and Gordon Freeman count?

If not, I wouldn't mind Bill Rizer (strange pick I know, and a tag team with Lance would be pretty cool ngl), Randi, or Earthworm Jim. All worthwhile picks in my book.

I also love Ayumi, but I think realizing her would be quite difficult and I'd much rather just have her as an assist trophy (and maybe a stage).

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd be hard pressed to be convinced any retro character is more deserving than Balloon Fighter- simply because it's the only game (that I can seem to find) Iwata fully made, and it would be a beautiful tribute to one of Sakurai's mentors.

Also, uniqueness and having been considered before.

That said, I absolutely want Frogger. I'd be surprised but delighted by Qbert. There are many characters actually, once I get into third party.

So I'll say again. First Party wise, I'd quickly take up
Mach Rider
Lip
...suddenly my mind went blank, but those aren't the only three (Plus BF, of course).

Top Bottom