• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Punch-Out antagonist support thread.

Which antagonist do you want?

• Total voters

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
BD95EED3-453C-40F1-8454-D868C47E2C44.jpeg

Punch-Out, while no longer one of Nintendo’s flagship IPs, it’s still a very popular and iconic series. I always found very questionable how such a popular Nintendo icon like Little Mac only got the spot by the 4th installment in the Super Smash Brothers series, but it was thanks to the fans that he made it to the roster, at all. Still it feels like there’s something essential missing to really represent Punch Out well in Smash don’t you think? ...Oh I know, how about an antagonist?! There are so many good choices full of potential out there: King Hippo, Sandman, Piston Hondo, hell even Glass Joe would be cool to see. Punch Out is definitely worthy of a 2nd newcomer if you ask me, yeah it’s not a relevant IP anymore but since when was that ever a problem in the Smash Brothers series anyway?!

E07CE149-852A-4390-8E7A-B2DC32FF1256.jpeg

So which antagonist do you feel like has the most potential of all and is the most logical choice as not only an antagonist but also a 2nd Punch Out character for the roster?

Last edited:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I would love to see Glass Joe myself, although any of Little Mac's opponents getting into Smash would be pretty cool. They're up there with Tony, Shirley, Lance, and Big Al from Pilotwings on my list of 'favorite Nintendo NPCs.' :)

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
God, just a second Punch-Out character in Smash at all would be incredible. Such a great series with so many great characters, and it sucks that the brilliance of Little Mac's inclusion in Smash from a character standpoint has been completely overshadowed by the competitive aspect of things

Anyway, I feel like if we're talking about prominence and icon status, our first Punch-Out antagonist should be Glass Joe, Mr. Sandman or King Hippo. Maybe Bald Bull. Though in terms of personal preference, I think Aran Ryan would be amazing, and he's not on that poll

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Hippo, Bald Bull and Sandman seem like the best choices if you wanted to pick someone iconic. If I had to choose, I’d probably go with Mr. Sandman. He best captures the essence of Mike Tyson, which I unironically believe to be a major plus.
In terms of personal preference, I think Aran Ryan would be amazing, and he's not on that poll
Truthfully, Aran Ryan is a dream character for me. He is so ****ing hilarious and was my favorite boxer to fight against in Punch-Out Wii. He would be so fun in Smash. Even if he was just an assist, I would be extremely happy.

Dolph63

Smash Cadet
I voted for Sandman but Glass Joe and King Hippo are so iconic. I think Donkey Kong should be in smash too.
Sorry to break it to you, but DK's never gonna get into Smash. He only appeared in one Punch-Out game as a secret opponnent in a bonus mode. It doesn't make sense that they'd pick him over much more iconic characters.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sorry to break it to you, but DK's never gonna get into Smash. He only appeared in one Punch-Out game as a secret opponnent in a bonus mode. It doesn't make sense that they'd pick him over much more iconic characters.
You know who else is never going to get in Smash? Mario. Now why the hell would they want to put in the referee in Smash when his only appearance was in Mike Tyson's Punch Out on the NES? Why not go for somebody more iconic like any of the other boxers like King Hippo, Glass Joe, Soda Popinski, Sand Man, ect, ect. Like really, folks don't have good taste if they want the freaking referee from Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Personally, I really like the idea of Glass Joe being identical to Mac except that he's slower, his grounded moves are just as bad as his aerials, he lacks super armor, and goes into freefall after any of his specials. Oh, and he can't shield.

Would be hilarious to see him as a joke character that's just...unquestionably awful.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Speaking of Glass Joe...

Mr. Sandman. Who wouldn’t wanna hear this theme in Smash?
One can dream that a 2nd Punch-Out character would bring the themes from all the fighters in the Wii game.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
I’m glad to see King Hippo getting a boost on the poll. He’s undoubtedly my number one choice for a Punch-Out villain and 2nd rep too, not just because of his iconicness in the series but also cuz I love his unique design and his funny personality.
Anyway, the guy did him yesterday and boy is it spectacular.

Last edited:

smash puffle

Smash Ace
Interesting video on Aran Ryan:

As for which antagonist I want, I think more SNES Super Punch-Out!! representation is a must, given how extremely minimal it is.
My picks are Bob Charlie, Masked Muscle, Mad Clown and Nick Bruiser. Aran Ryan would be neat too.
That and a couple of SNES SPO remixes would make me satisfied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom