• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Last edited:

ShadowLBlue

Smash Apprentice
Well, at least, if anything, Corrin can destroy the argument that Zelda chars need to be relevant and appear in multiple games to appear in smash. Because he clearly isn't.
The main character of a newly released and well-selling (and soon to be released in NA) game isn't more relevant than any of those games? That's a lot of hyperbole imo.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
The only thing I can hope for is for Wolf to be the Mewtwo of the next Smash Game. Missed the last installment, but will be making a return. Either that, or for Sakurai to add Wolf in April to even up the DLC roster to four newcomers and four veterans (Two from Melee, two from Brawl). Although, I'll even admit, that last one is like trying to operate a bycicle without arms. Practially impossible, but you still hope you'll find a way...

EDIT:
Sega is the owner and PG is the main developer.
Well... I guess Sega has it's second rep now. At least they're even with Capcom. *sigh*

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
*sigh*
I'm personally not a huge fan of Bayonetta's inclusion, and Corrin, to me, looks fun, but I can understand the disappointment surrounded him/her.

HOWEVER
Seeing the way people are reacting towards Sakurai is absolutely sickening. After putting all of his energy, all of his time... And he gets no thanks. All he gets is hate, salt, and more hate. And that's horrible, because regardless of who you felt was "more deserving", There are literally 56 other characters that you could choose instead. Hell, you don't even have to buy the characters announced today if you don't like them.

A lot of people are forgetting that Sakurai was not entitled to make any DLC for this game, he chose to put his year aside to craft more content for us. And this is the response he gets?

It's no wonder we get called a toxic community, because honestly, judging by the way we're acting now, that's exactly what we are.

/rant

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Sega is the owner and PG is the main developer.
I was under the impression Platinum Games was an independent company, not made public.
Therefore not a subsidiary of a major corp like Sega.

I thought Sega published Bayo due to a 3 game deal with Platinum.
and Nintendo published Bayo 2 as some deal.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
At least one of the characters I've voted for made it in. (Not to mention predicting that we'll strictly get a Fire Emblem newcomer, despite taking heat from people) Will admit that I lost a great deal of hype for Fates before the announcement, but I'm still obligated to getting Corrin, a character I voted for. I have no illusions that Corrin was a particularly highly voted fighter, but still, nice. Too bad the toxicity from some people would surround the director of this game until Smash 5. I'm a little miffed about the price going up to $4.99, but all the $3.99 DLC characters have been "clones" to some degree, so... Ultimate disappointment, believe it or not, was not seeing a Mii Fighter costume I wanted from the final wave.

I'm still optimistic at the moment that we may get regular major updates like online Tourney and YouTube replays some time in the future, at least as far as work to be done on additional modes and features would go.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Honestly, who flicked of their monitor during the Geno segment? :laugh:

777Laser

Smash Apprentice
Corrin looks cooler than a bag of ice.

Upset Bauonetta was the suppose big character. Was holding out for snake, sora, goku, even Shrek last announcement. As the last character it was underwhelming, however the presentation was PHENOMENAL.

Corrin and his mechanics are amazing. So good that I am not a FE detractor and ambivalent about FE, so it makes it even better.

Bayonetta is a character I just don't like but she looks super great too. Her stage is what I'm excited about the most. Legal?

Sad this is the rest of the dlc though, dlc makes this game even better man

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I'll agree with Rob.
Pit and Dark PIt? Not at all. If anyone in smash could represent KIU it'd be Palutena.
Yeah, you kinda do, since I don't know anything about them. However, I do know the games were mostly not released outside of Japan and that the sales were nothing to write home about.
Um.. what? How is Falcon the mascot of SNES? That's Mario, just like every other console and hand held Nintendo has.
Woah woah woah, by the way you talk about Palutena compared to Pit, I can confirm you haven't played any of the 3 Kid Icarus games where Pit is the main and the solo playable character.
Though not so solo in Uprising: spoiler alert: through a string of plot-twists you also play as a dog, a little girl, Magnus, and then shocker. Dark Pit. All on a mission to save Palutena and then later Pit as payback for Pit sacrificing himself to save Dark Pit.
In Multiplayer mode's Light Vs Dark you could find yourself playing as either Pit or Dark Pit. Dark Pit was invented for KIU's multiplayer ala Luigi and then given a role in the story to justify his existence.
But at no point do you ever play as Palutena. That's like playing as Navi from Zelda Ocarina of Time.
Palutena is in Smash to represent the Powers game mechanic of KIU. Pit's the one who originally did all the moves Palutena does in Smash.

Dark Pit was originally just planned to be a Olimar/Alph identity swap of Pit but they wanted to give him his own side B and Final Smash, and like Lucina's sword and Dr.Mario's pills, this was enough to grant him a roster slot that's all the way at the bottom of the roster.

Arms98

Smash Rookie
Being serious here, why do so many people want wolf? I can understand they hype around KKR and Issac but I think it would be pretty wasteful to include another clonish character as dlc

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Platinum is independent. They are definitely not owned by Sega.

Being serious here, why do so many people want wolf? I can understand they hype around KKR and Issac but I think it would be pretty wasteful to include another clonish character as dlc
He's the least cloney clone, which pretty much makes him the most feasible Brawl character who hadn't returned yet. Also to fill the spacey hole left by Falco now that he's been nerfed into the ground.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I was under the impression Platinum Games was an independent company, not made public.
Therefore not a subsidiary of a major corp like Sega.

I thought Sega published Bayo due to a 3 game deal with Platinum.
and Nintendo published Bayo 2 as some deal.
Pg is still independent but they don't publish thier own games. SEGA just owns the rights to the IP and helped out a bit in developing B2.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
...Maybe it's just us. Maybe Bayonetta was always the most popular, and we blew the support K. Rool and Isaac got out of proportions. I find it hard to believe, but it's possible.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Considering that Sakurai said he was in the top 5 of US, here is how.
1.Goku
2.Shrek
3. Ridley
4. Shovel Knight
5.Bayonetta
So we essentially screwed ourself over becuase of the little kids and trolls. That's why he said realistic choices.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
The thing I found most interesting is that they made it sound like some "joke" character(s) ranked higher than Bayonetta.

Also, "We hope all of these characters will continue to make great appearances in many titles to come". Whaaa? Was that meant towards Smash or their own respective franchises, because "Moreover, we don’t even know if there’ll be another Smash game"?

Amherst

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wavedash
3DS FC
3239-2573-2753
...Maybe it's just us. Maybe Bayonetta was always the most popular, and we blew the support K. Rool and Isaac got out of proportions. I find it hard to believe, but it's possible.
I don't doubt the possibility. I just find it odd that Bayonetta of all people placed so highly in a reality where Platinum titles almost always sell like hot garbage. Where were these people when Bayo 2 released?

I mean, I'm ecstatic over her inclusion so I'm not salty or anything. It's just odd. I'd like to see some official numbers - total number of votes by region, etc etc, since I'm a nerd and enjoy combing over stuff like that. Shame we'll never get it.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to believe because that's the culture you immersed yourself in. Think about it. What does the average consumer of video games care about Isaac when Cloud is already in Smash Bros? Of what possible interest could a relatively small JRPG series be to most people, especially when one of the most iconic characters from the series synonymous with JRPG's is already in?
Of what interest is King K. Rool to the average person? What do they care about an obese crocodile from an SNES game? Smashboard users surround themselves with people who believe these characters matter, that because they have a legacy of some sort and a vocal fanbase, they deserve to be in the game, and that they wouldn't be is unthinkable. It's lacking perspective.
Compare them to the other two newcomers:
Ryu. The main character of the biggest fighting game series around, the series that basically invented fighting games, or at least turned fighting games into a real genre. He's not only still relevant, but Smash Bros. wouldn't exist if not for his series. The SNES was one of the best systems to own to play Street Fighter II without going to an arcade, and so Nintendo and the SNES were also an important part of Street Fighter's history.
Bayonetta is huge. Maybe not in a mainstream way that Call of Duty or Mario games are, and it probably still undersold because no one bothers to advertise games by Platinum/ Clover for some reason, but it's one of the big action games and by far Nintendo's biggest 3rd party title in quite some time. It was, or for some people, still is, the reason to buy a Wii U even for people who aren't really Nintendo fans or were on the fence about the system.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Or maybe Sakurai thought he couldn't do Isaac/KKR justice move set wise? I think that was their main problem.

Dan

Smash Lord
Smashboard users surround themselves with people who believe these characters matter, that because they have a legacy of some sort and a vocal fanbase, they deserve to be in the game, and that they wouldn't be is unthinkable. It's lacking perspective.
Oh my God you are smart.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I find it perfectly believable that Bayonetta was the most voted character on the ballot. Never underestimate the draw of sex-appeal :p

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
This is a prime example of us not being able to understand what is truly popular.

I highly doubt we would have gotten a game with Shulk, 6 Fire Emblem Characters, No Wolf and No K Rool otherwise. Sakurai definitely listens to his fans, but I feel that community is not the same as ours. It's probably different in Japan.

We were deluding ourselves the entire time.

I wouldn't expect this to change if Sakurai steps down, unless our new developer looks far and wide for character choices. We really don't know what the numbers show at Nintendo, and it's clear game sales aren't everything.

That being said, Bayonetta winning the Smash Ballot is shocking. I can't even comment on it.

As for Snake and Inkling (characters I feel are popular) they were most likely impossible due to whatever issues they team had. Komami and the 3DS were probably the culprits (I think Ice Climbers won the ballot too). Either that or Inkling didn't do as well on the ballot as we thought.
---------
With that out of my system, what is going to happen with speculation? Will we migrate over to Nintenzone or possibly persist a little longer? Is it possible we could discuss Smash 5 and what we want to see in it?

Last edited:

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
I wish they would at least show some kind of tally of the votes
I'd at least like to see how well the characters I wanted stocked up to Bayonetta.

Also, I genuinely wonder how many legitimate picks were discarded because they weren't "realizable".

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to say that I'm pretty hype for Bayonetta and Corrin. Corrin looks pretty neat all around, def gonna be one of my mains. Bayonetta looks sort of scary though, as in a scary opponent. Like Ryu before her, I'm honestly pretty scared to run into a good Bayonetta on For Glory. lol

Gimmick

Smash Ace
I find Bayonetta's inclusion to be very suspicious. The Ballot end two months ago and they were able to obtain the rights to the character, create a stage, gather music, create a full fledged move set and a model for her? And this isn't even taking taking into account that they were also working Cloud, Midgard, mii costumes, and Corrin.

Halifax?

Smash Apprentice
NNID
WhataTreeBark
The new Fire Emblem Lord and Bayonetta... this DLC was made for me. We're done here LOL.

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
Lemme get this straight: When Melee had a FE character strictly for marketing, it's 'OH COOL FIRE SWORD :D ' and had enough fandemand to bring him back
Now: 'HOW DARE THEY ADD THIS 90% UNIQUE CHARACTER WHO TURNS INTO A ****ING DRAGON?!'
Am I the only one who thinks it's very hypocritical? I do understand the salt for Corrin, but it doesn't mean I can't question it
I think most people are just bitter at the fact that they developed him instead of another Ballot character, especially since Sakurai said that it would be pure fanservice from July onwards.
That's a legitimate reason to get angry if you ask me, and that's coming from a guy who actually likes the Fire Emblem Characters coming close to topping Mario in reps, and as someone who plans to main him :V

EDIT: Whoops, Ninja'd :p

Last edited:

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
I find Bayonetta's inclusion to be very suspicious. The Ballot end two months ago and they were able to obtain the rights to the character, create a stage, gather music, create a full fledged move set and a model for her? And this isn't even taking taking into account that they were also working Cloud, Midgard, mii costumes, and Corrin.
Well, they only need to make her in a presentable state. She could currently be full of all sorts of bugs and glitches we can't see from the trailer. Nintendo is also what allowed Bayonetta 2 to happen, I'm sure Platinum was plenty eager to let them put her in Smash Bros.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I totally called it with the ballot thing, this is EXACTLY like it was with Skullgirls

Loads of people constantly talking about "So-and-So" and "What's-their-face" totally going to win the contest, but in the end it was the quiet ones that shot past and won overall

Kinda sad Wolf isn't gonna make it though, he would've rounded the DLC up to an even 8, and 8 is a prety important number to Smash, by which I mean there's that novelty 8-player smash that I sometimes mess around with or, am forced to do in classic mode

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Remember when everyone thought that the ballot was a suggestion box, not a poll? That there would be no ballot winner?

Good times... :p

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
It's a lot easier for Bayo comapred to Cloud cause all of those assets are already on the Wii U

DBZHedgy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1736-4241-7885
Remember when everyone thought that the ballot was a suggestion box, not a poll? That there would be no ballot winner?

It still was a suggestion box though...

saying that she won among realizable characters shows that it wasn't just the number one voted character ever, it was chosen from a few that were deemed undoable.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Oh, you too? I totally called that.

I find it hilarious that people hate this game now because of a Fire Emblem character. The only reason it's hated is because of it being a Fire Emblem character. Corrin presents incredibly unique gameplay...which is what matters.

Honestly, if you hate this game because of today then get over it. I didn't get my most wanted character. I made a Twitter account for Snake, posted arguments to defend Snake, and stressed over Snake. Today? I was shown two characters I didn't realize I wanted. I shot Bayonetta down because I didn't expect her mind you. I played the series and the games are great.

It's a video game, and you're not going to get everything you want. What are we going to try and say? Sakurai doesn't listen to fans? Apparently, he does! Geno costume, Cloud and Bayonetta? Fan stuff right there.

Sakurai and the team spent an extra year on this junk and then get blasted by people who are spoiled rotten. I'm sorry, but when people are being critical because they didn't get their character of choice, it's incredibly petty. It would be different if I were complaining as well, from my viewpoint anyway.

Snake was a great character in Brawl, as was Wolf. If they're not coming back, it's fine. I'm really excited to try out Bayonetta and Corrin. They both look like great additions who offer something new.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Wow, so much :salt::shaker: here. So much. The fact of the matter is that we all are the small majority. Whenever I ask my friends about who they want in Smash, I NEVER hear Isaac or King K. Rool. Instead, I hear names like Sora. Wolf was suggested by one of my more nerdy friends, but that was about it. While the polls we ran were accurate to a fault, they didn't reflect the populace's vote AT ALL. You all set yourselves up for disappointment. Don't blame Nintendo, only blame yourself for getting mad at a video game.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
This direct I think pretty much prove how small the Smash fan base really is, especially with Bayonetta as the winner of the ballot There is only a good handful of us pushing for these characters and a small minority. To be honest, I am not even mad at this. I am content with all of the DLC. The newcomers to me we got looks cool and interesting. I welcome Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta with opened arms. Especially Cloud and Bayonetta Cloud so far is a actually a sword fighter I've been waiting for so long, to have in Smash and Bayonetta and Corrin they are combo heavy and I love those kind of characters. Can't wait till those two come out. I want that Cloud and Bayonetta amiibo soon, well Cloud more so than Bayonetta for me. Still going to get them both and I'm so enjoying Cloud right now, another new main. Besides for me, most of the characters I wanted back when Smash 4 came out made it into the original base game. If I had got anything from my most wanted characters for DLC it would've just been extra to me. I am completely satisfied with this roster.

People the DLC has been a thing since last year. We knew what we were going to be getting into, ahead of time back when Mewtwo was first announced. I think people need to realize you can't always get what you want. Again, this direct kind of proves how small the Smash fanbase really is and how many characters are in a minority and were getting pushed. I am by far perfectly okay with this DLC line up and can't wait for the other characters to get released, til then see you guys for Smash 5 speculation. It's been a fun ride while it lasted.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It still was a suggestion box though...

saying that she won among realizable characters shows that it wasn't just the number one voted character ever, it was chosen from a few that were deemed undoable.
Lol, what's your point? She was the highest voted character that was possible for them to make. Doesn't matter if Goku or Shrek got more votes, if Sakurai couldn't get the rights to them he's not going to make them. Same with characters like Ice Climbers and Ridley, his vision of them won't work in the game. Of the possible characters, it is still a majority ruling, I.E. she is still the winner of the ballot.

Imagine if Mickey Mouse got the most votes in a presidential election. Obviously the next actual candidate would be chosen, yet that wouldn't suddenly turn that entire election into a suggestion ballot, would it?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Oh, you too? I totally called that.

I find it hilarious that people hate this game now because of a Fire Emblem character. The only reason it's hated is because of it being a Fire Emblem character. Corrin presents incredibly unique gameplay...which is what matters.

Honestly, if you hate this game because of today then get over it. I didn't get my most wanted character. I made a Twitter account for Snake, posted arguments to defend Snake, and stressed over Snake. Today? I was shown two characters I didn't realize I wanted. I shot Bayonetta down because I didn't expect her mind you. I played the series and the games are great.

It's a video game, and you're not going to get everything you want. What are we going to try and say? Sakurai doesn't listen to fans? Apparently, he does! Geno costume, Cloud and Bayonetta? Fan stuff right there.

Sakurai and the team spent an extra year on this junk and then get blasted by people who are spoiled rotten. I'm sorry, but when people are being critical because they didn't get their character of choice, it's incredibly petty. It would be different if I were complaining as well, from my viewpoint anyway.

Snake was a great character in Brawl, as was Wolf. If they're not coming back, it's fine. I'm really excited to try out Bayonetta and Corrin. They both look like great additions who offer something new.
:0 you were the owner of the Snake twitter?! Lol. Fun times competing haha. (I started the bayo one and owned it till a week or 2 before cloud.)

I still feel there is a Snake shaped hole in the roster but since I thought Bayo was very unlikely yet she is here has shrunk that hole significantly. I'm considering buying second hand brawl to try Snake & others for the 1st time.

And yes I agree. The hate for Corrin / Bayonetta is lame and sickening when you think about how much work was done in the game and the characters are tottally unique. To me, Corrin looks slightly better and more exciting than Robin when he was revealed so that's a plus.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom