• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Well, got half my finals done today. But I gotta study all tomorrow (or what is technically today) for the last half of my finals on wednesday...
Please, pray for me. Pray for me to have the strength to look away from the direct so I can focus on preparing for my finals...

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Alright time to hibernate for the night, then work to distract me!

Best of luck folks! May the best character become DLC to be bought by an enormous amount of Smashers only to be hated because they ended up becoming bottom tier, then cast aside into obscurity but then become heavily desired during the next Smash game when they don't make the initial cut and then become heavily voted for in the next inevitable Smash Ballot DLC to become once again, bought by an enormous amount of smashers only to be hated bec.........................................

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Now that things have calmed down a bit and the direct is nearing I wanted to share my thoughts.

First of all, I think most people are aiming a little low with only 2 more DLC characters. I understand why most people are sticking with 2. It is honestly more likely and it is safer to bet on without over hyping yourself. I personally think that anything less than 3 though is a complete and utter waste of the pure statistical gold mine they are sitting on with the results from the Smash Ballot. I mean that Ballot contains the most requested characters to enter the battlefield.

With DLC, the parameters for characters' entry is very different as well. The biggest factors are demand and convenience. How easily can the character be made? And how much demand does said character hold? Things like relevancy and importance to Nintendo are less important (before I get the Sakurai quote on relevancy I would like to state that I believe that refers more to the planning for the disc roster). DLC is made based on what will draw more attention and get more downloads. The Ballot was them essentially saying "We don't know what else might be in high demand so tell us." That being the case I don't expect things that were not expected or highly requested before Cloud's reveal.

With all of that being stated, I would like to point out that I believe that at least one of the DLC characters is the Inklings. I think their popularity is undeniable and I believe that they came pretty close to the top of that Ballot. As for any other potential newcomers I think it is fairly close between a new Zelda rep, a DK rep, another KI rep, another FE rep, a Pokemon rep, and Isaac. It's hard for me to decide on what tops what here and which specific reps to go with because all of these series have many characters that have a vast support base (This statement obviously isn't referring to Isaac since I was specific about him). I believe they will stick more to first party because of the convenience factor, especially now that they have pulled in more players with Ryu and Cloud (I don't know whether Isaac is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd party so you can ignore him if you want I just personally feel his popularity is strong enough to break some barriers).

Also concerning possible DLC characters, I don't expect to see any more vets honestly. Vets played their part before the Ballot because they are a quick cash grab with an already predefined Smash fanbase but I see them taking the information they have on requested characters now and using that to introduce new characters because that has a better chance of stirring up more support. For example, some people won't buy certain vets because they don't appeal to them but they are more inclined to buy a new character that they find interesting even though they may potentially side line them from their main characters.

As for stages and costumes, I'm not a big speculator on these matters so I'll take what I get but some more vet stages would be nice admittedly. As for costumes, let them surprise me.

To wrap things up, I wanted to say that it is fine to keep your expectations high as long as you understand that your expectations don't define what you will receive. Your expectations are just another part of the way you were speculating. If you didn't receive what you expected, you speculated wrong at some point. It is fine to be upset too but you have to understand where to direct those emotions. For example, after this direct I will probably disappointed but I'm going to understand that it is my fault but that's fine. I dislike how some people say to keep your expectations low because that's just another part of who you are. So I don't know about you but I'm going to expect more than I get and I'm gonna accept my mistakes. To explain the meaning of this last batch of words, I want people to understand they don't need to stop being themselves to avoid disappointment because life is about the good times and the bad times. I mean without any bad times, what makes the good times so great?

Also, best of luck to everyone and their top supported characters.

Edit: I also wanna apologize if I rub someone the wrong way. I'm on like 6 hours of sleep. Its 1am and I just got off of work a couple hours ago. So sorry if I didn't convey my opinions apropriately.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Good luck, everyone.

About 15 hours remain. Stay unspoiled, pack whatever you need and pray that your beloved character(s) get in.

:231:

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
Now that things have calmed down a bit and the direct is nearing I wanted to share my thoughts.

First of all, I think most people are aiming a little low with only 2 more DLC characters. I understand why most people are sticking with 2. It is honestly more likely and it is safer to bet on without over hyping yourself. I personally think that anything less than 3 though is a complete and utter waste of the pure statistical gold mine they are sitting on with the results from the Smash Ballot. I mean that Ballot contains the most requested characters to enter the battlefield.

With DLC, the parameters for characters' entry is very different as well. The biggest factors are demand and convenience. How easily can the character be made? And how much demand does said character hold? Things like relevancy and importance to Nintendo are less important (before I get the Sakurai quote on relevancy I would like to state that I believe that refers more to the planning for the disc roster). DLC is made based on what will draw more attention and get more downloads. The Ballot was them essentially saying "We don't know what else might be in high demand so tell us." That being the case I don't expect things that were not expected or highly requested before Cloud's reveal.

With all of that being stated, I would like to point out that I believe that at least one of the DLC characters is the Inklings. I think their popularity is undeniable and I believe that they came pretty close to the top of that Ballot. As for any other potential newcomers I think it is fairly close between a new Zelda rep, a DK rep, another KI rep, another FE rep, a Pokemon rep, and Isaac. It's hard for me to decide on what tops what here and which specific reps to go with because all of these series have many characters that have a vast support base (This statement obviously isn't referring to Isaac since I was specific about him). I believe they will stick more to first party because of the convenience factor, especially now that they have pulled in more players with Ryu and Cloud (I don't know whether Isaac is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd party so you can ignore him if you want I just personally feel his popularity is strong enough to break some barriers).

Also concerning possible DLC characters, I don't expect to see any more vets honestly. Vets played their part before the Ballot because they are a quick cash grab with an already predefined Smash fanbase but I see them taking the information they have on requested characters now and using that to introduce new characters because that has a better chance of stirring up more support. For example, some people won't buy certain vets because they don't appeal to them but they are more inclined to buy a new character that they find interesting even though they may potentially side line them from their main characters.

As for stages and costumes, I'm not a big speculator on these matters so I'll take what I get but some more vet stages would be nice admittedly. As for costumes, let them surprise me.

To wrap things up, I wanted to say that it is fine to keep your expectations high as long as you understand that your expectations don't define what you will receive. Your expectations are just another part of the way you were speculating. If you didn't receive what you expected, you speculated wrong at some point. It is fine to be upset too but you have to understand where to direct those emotions. For example, after this direct I will probably disappointed but I'm going to understand that it is my fault but that's fine. I dislike how some people say to keep your expectations low because that's just another part of who you are. So I don't know about you but I'm going to expect more than I get and I'm gonna accept my mistakes. To explain the meaning of this last batch of words, I want people to understand they don't need to stop being themselves to avoid disappointment because life is about the good times and the bad times. I mean without any bad times, what makes the good times so great?

Also, best of luck to everyone and their top supported characters.
I'm aiming low because I don't want my expectations higher than what we know is coming. I won't be disappointed with two, but if we get more then I'll be ecstatic.

I think the reason that Wolf is a highly likely veteran is because he is easy to make. They already have his moveset made. They know how he would work and they own him. All they need to do is put him in game and he would sell very well for a veteran fighter. If they are able to get Snake, he would be the next best veteran that would sell pretty well. I feel like that all depends on whether or not Konami is cooperative.

The Inklings in my eyes are the most likely. Splatoon is a huge success and it would make sense for them to use this to their advantage. Even though I would want King K. Rool, Isaac, Dixie, or Banjo more, I see the Inklings as a good choice from a business standpoint. As for any more Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem characters, I would argue that their addition is unlikely. I don't think that they are as anticipated as a multitude of other characters. I like both franchises, but they are well versed in characters already, arguably too much so. While I wouldn't be opposed to a new character from these series or the Inklings, I wouldn't be necessarily excited either.

Overall I think whatever we get will be great though. I've been satisfied with the DLC so far and I'm sure this won't be any different.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
You...do know that Ocarina of Time was three generations ago, right? Even so, how do you explain Game & Watch, who not only is from a handheld older than the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, but doesn't actually exist.
Except Ocarina of Time was still brand new at the time Sheik was first playable. Not to mention Sakurai hates cutting characters. G&W was added as a retro character and wasn't a single game. Try harder

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
I think the characters made mii custom were good option but imposible in some ways, Monster Hunter costumes are like a tribute to the Saga, Chrom, Viridi, Flying Man, Toad and Isabelle are good characters but imposible to be playable because they are in the game as Final Smash Support, stage hazard, part of a move or Assist trophy
or maybe a tribute of another character C Falcon, Fox, Link, Megaman...
I don't know what would happen to Akira, Heihachi, King K Rool, Protoman, Inkling, Dunban, Dark Lord, Zero or Lloyd but I have my expectations low, maybe if one of those characters made it they could sell them with a discount if you already have the mii costumeXD

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Nope. That's untrue, by doing that, the game is then rated R instead of 3+.

btw, if your sig is because of Ice Climbers, also add 8 player Smash
How does the ESRB rate downloadable content (DLC) or other content updates that supplement a game or app?

Downloadable content (DLC) often refers to additional content that supplements or extends a previously-rated product. Many digital products, including video games and apps, will release subsequent updates or add-ons that expand the original product's content. DLC or updates that will be appended to an existing, previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if their content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating originally assigned to the core product is applicable to the appended content as well. Where, however, the content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned.

Anyway, it's mostly because the 3DS version is boring, useless and even hurt the WiiU one simply by existing.

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
I'm personally looking forward to/ dreading this direct at the same time. I'm looking forward to getting new character(s) but I know that at the end of the day, there's going to be a ton of hellfire and backlash. There's hundreds of characters that people want, and only a handful will get in. This time tommorow we'll have a lot of complaints about how X character doesn't deserve to get in because of reason Y, and character Z is a far superior choice because of <insert reasons (if any)>. And all this will be sugarcoated with insults and expletives.

Personally I want a new character. Though I would like to see the Ice Climbers return and I was never keen on Wolf or Snake so i'm not that bothered about them.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whilst I miss Squirtle, Ivysaur and Wolf(sorry Snake and Ice Climbers), if those three were revealed at this stage I'd be disappointed.
I'm hungry for newcomers. Particularly Nintendo newcomers.

At this point I'd take any Nintendo newcomer we can get...any.

Except Geno. If he gets more than a Mii Outfit, I'mma slap Sakurai.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Something to think about:

>"K.Rool will totally be revealed at E3 when the game is revealed"--Nope
>"K.Rool will be revealed in the next Direct!"--Nope
>"K.Rool will be revealed in the April Direct. It's happening!"--Nope
>"K.Rool will be revealed in the 50 Fact extravaganza as DLC!" --Nope
>"K.Rool will be revealed at E3 as DLC!"-Nope

This happens every time there's potentially going to be a character reveal. There is no "likely character". Anymore.

I could have said the same thing about Snake and had the same results every single time. There is quite literally no way to say if a character is likely or not, especially when the likelihood of a character like K.Rool getting in was always " high".

I'd like to see K.Rool tomorrow myself. But let's just wait and see.
This is the absolute worst feel ever regarding the speculation around this game for me so far. K.Rool always felt like a logical next reveal ever since I knew Kremlings where in Smash Run. Speaking of Smash Run, I could see K.Rool being revealed as a playable character if Smash Run gets announced for Wii U, exactly because of the Kremlings being there. So IF we see other 3DS features being transplanted from 3DS to Wii U, am hoping Smash Run is one of them.

Also, there are no real leaks to speak of yet. I tried to spoil myself, but I failed.

Only thing I could find was:

:4cloud:'s ending scenes when completing Classic / All Star. Also his alts. Nothing hyped me so far.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Whilst I miss Squirtle, Ivysaur and Wolf(sorry Snake and Ice Climbers), if those three were revealed at this stage I'd be disappointed.
I'm hungry for newcomers. Particularly Nintendo newcomers.

At this point I'd take any Nintendo newcomer we can get...any.

Except Geno. If he gets more than a Mii Outfit, I'mma slap Sakurai.
*Burn Nintendo HQ

But wouldn't he be third party?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It would be nice to finally have a non-anime character newcomer DLC. Give us something funky and weird like Inklings, Banjo-Kazooie or whatever.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
All am hoping is that Wolf won't be revealed as something grand, because neither Lucas or Roy where revealed like that. I'd hate it if Sakurai made Wolf out to be a lucky addition because of the ballot. I do expect him to show Wolf however, but he shouldn't be all too showy about it, because I feel we should've gotten him ages ago.

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
So why was Smashboards allowed to post about leaks on the front page before but now we can't even discuss them in a thread?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So why was Smashboards allowed to post about leaks on the front page before but now we can't even discuss them in a thread?
Public demand. Note that Roy/Ryu and ESRB leaks were not present near any big announcements.

The data-miners want people to remain unspoiled as well, from what I've heard.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Public demand. Note that Roy/Ryu and ESRB leaks were not present near any big announcements.

The data-miners want people to remain unspoiled as well, from what I've heard.

Ah that explains why even though I tried, I couldn't be spoiled.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
What do you mean with non-anime?
Design-wise, Cloud seems straight out of an anime like many other Sm4sh newcomers (Shulk, Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, maybe even Ryu and Little Mac could be considered like that). I'm not against it at all but it would be nice to have more weird characters. Personally, I felt Sm4sh kind of lacked animal-like characters (only Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Duo and Greninja basically).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Design-wise, Cloud seems straight out of an anime like many other Sm4sh newcomers (Shulk, Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Dark Pit, maybe even Ryu and Little Mac could be considered like that). I'm not against it at all but it would be nice to have more weird characters. Personally, I felt Sm4sh kind of lacked animal-like characters (only Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt Duo and Greninja basically).
Yes I also think we didn't get too many animal-like characters, but still, the biggest contender currently for a 'anime-like' character is Isaac, who's inclusion would overjoy me.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Something about the recent leaks is actually scaring me a little bit. We know for sure that cloud is coming out now, but i feel like if they found data of cloud being in the game and nobody else, then i feel like the only character they have ready right now is cloud, and he will be the only one that gets added after the direct today, i was reallly hoping for cloud + another character or 2

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Something about the recent leaks is actually scaring me a little bit. We know for sure that cloud is coming out now, but i feel like if they found data of cloud being in the game and nobody else, then i feel like the only character they have ready right now is cloud, and he will be the only one that gets added after the direct today, i was reallly hoping for cloud + another character or 2
Maybe Sakurai and his team just found out how to keep that secret until the very reveal. Or maybe dataminers want to be genereous for once and not tell. Go figure..

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
For me, the Zelda choice has always been Vaati, but Impa is a respectable addition as well.

We have eight and a half hours now. I guess I should... Go to sleep?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For me, the Zelda choice has always been Vaati, but Impa is a respectable addition as well.

We have eight and a half hours now. I guess I should... Go to sleep?
Am actually qutie certain that if another Zelda character is gonna be added, it's gotta be Impa. So far with all the Sheikah symbolism, she seems involved in Zelda Wii U as well. I always had high hopes for her, and Hyrule Warriors doing so great and even getting a 3DS 'sequel' only makes me more confident in her. If other semi-clones besides Wolf are added, my biggest bets are on Dixie and Impa.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm desperately hoping we get anything from Kirby, anything, (except Knuckle Joe) a character, a stage, or even just a trophy of a major character would make me happy at this point, I just want something that can prove to me Mr.Sakurai isn't neglecting the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom