• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
> i don't understand why people want King K rool so bad, he will be another slow tank and at the end of the day a minority will play him.

Even if tank character are kind of good in smash 4, i'm personally not interest in King K rool. i do understand that he might look badass + we need some vilain.

> i don't understand eigther why people are cheering for Shovel knight, i don't see how shovel K can have 17 originals attaks besides him using his shovel...

i'd like :
1. Sora (let me dream)
2. Vaati
3. Skull kid
4. Wolf
5. Isaac
1: Some people actually likes the heavies
2: Just because you lack creativity doesn't mean everyone else does. Relics and stuff exist too after all

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
> i don't understand eigther why people are cheering for Shovel knight, i don't see how shovel K can have 17 originals attaks besides him using his shovel...
he has a multitude of other abilities/ items that are usable in his game.
http://shovelknight.wikia.com/wiki/Relics

also, it wouldn't even matter if he only used a shovel especially because we have several fighters whose attacks all involve a sword.

Weaknd

Smash Rookie
1: Some people actually likes the heavies
2: Just because you lack creativity doesn't mean everyone else does. Relics and stuff exist too after all
1. Good for them i guess, meat for everyone.
2. Dem, don't be such an agressif butt lel (people nowadays), i only saw few trailers about shovel knight and didn't heard about the relics stuff. People have creavity for things which they're interest in uh.

PIXLEsauce PIXLEsauce : thanks for the link! Ye it's true, but it better be original moves, not some copy paste move from over characters (aka cloud's down air for example). I Doubt shovel knight Will be in personnaly but he might come as a mii costume.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
My reaction:

"How the hell did we go from famous gaming icons like Ryu and Cloud to this character?"

PIXLEsauce

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cheatingtaco
3DS FC
2320-6152-1291
i suppose I'm okay with any character as long as they're unique in how they play.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Vaati is the most recurring villain in the series, next to Ganondorf. Plus, he uses wind magic, which has never been seen before in Smash. If anyone's a good fifth rep, it's him.
Yeah, Vaati would be fun and interesting..and although I already foresee the complaints if it was done, he's also an accomplished swordsman based on how he won the tournament in Minish Cap.
I just don't know if his appearances in 3 games would be enough, really.
*sighs* Thanks you, was not aware of this....

Y'know? I'm really starting to hate the term 'one-off,' it's starting to feel more of an excuse to disregard the character completely and call them 'unimportant' within their respective series...as if popularity counts for nothing anymore...I'd argue that Midna is the most popular 'one-off' but apparently being the best of the worst isn't good enough...forget the fact that other characters in Smash are also 'one-offs'...

'oh, but it's ok for them, because we see different main characters all the time in their games'...still doesn't change the fact they only appeared in one main series game...

I don't like to use the word 'represent' but out of all supporting characters within the Zelda series, Midna stands as one of the most appropriate to represent what the Zelda series is about...especially given what she's currently got going for her outside of Smash, which shows Nintendo is aware of her popularity...Well at least I can hope she'll make an appearance in Zelda Wii U...
You may hate the term, but thats what they are. One-Off literally means that they've only appeared in a single game. Some of my favorite characters happen to be one offs, such as Princess Hilda from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, but it something likely keeping Midna out of the game since she wouldn't really be relevant by the next game in the series. She would have been Relevant for Brawl, but then not-so-much by the time Smash 4 was in development (2012..so 6 years without really seeing her)..but she is popular in the Zelda series, hence her and Ghirahim appearing as Assist Trophies.

There's nothing wrong with being a One-Off Character, they can still be important to the game they are in and important to the fans, but yes, in the grand scheme of the series, they don't leave all that much of an impact..I'm sorry to say..Like I don't see Princess Hilda or Ghirahim leaving much of a lasting effect on the series in later entries either..it just is what it is. They could re-use them, but that would mean they'd have to explain why they were reincarnated like Link and Zelda or lived forever like Ganondorf..or even explain why they re-appear with the same name as an ancestor like with Impa..and eventually there would be too many characters to do so with.

And yes, it IS okay for characters from series like Fire Emblem and Mother because otherwise those series wouldn't have ANY characters..and we already saw with Brawl that they will drop one of them due to no longer being relevant if the situation calls for it (swapping Roy out for Ike, who was more relevant).

Really, I wouldn't say its that Midna is popular and Nintendo knows it, outside of appearing in Hyrule Warriors where she was the obvious choice to represent Twilight Princess, since Twilight Princess HD is also because the game itself is popular..but then with her amiibo figure, its credited solely to Wolf Link despite Midna appearing as well (I'll still refer to it as Midna & Wolf Link rather then just Wolf Link).
Banjo-Kazooie anyone? Apparently all signs point to those two.
I don't see these 'signs' you speak of. All we have to go on is Phil Spencer saying they would work with Nintendo if approached about using them, that would still require Nintendo to approach them and, unless they were literally in the Top 10 requests, I just couldn't see Nintendo doing so.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
IF

Actually happened.

What would be your likely reaction?
:3
I'd be extremely excited; Bayonetta is my second or third most wanted third party (Snake's definitely number one, and she keeps switching places with Rayman), and I feel like she'd be extremely fun to play as given how much there is to draw from (she probably has enough moves for three whole characters on her own!) and given the sheer spectacle that is the combat in her games.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yeah, Vaati would be fun and interesting..and although I already foresee the complaints if it was done, he's also an accomplished swordsman based on how he won the tournament in Minish Cap.

You may hate the term, but thats what they are. One-Off literally means that they've only appeared in a single game. Some of my favorite characters happen to be one offs, such as Princess Hilda from The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, but it something likely keeping Midna out of the game since she wouldn't really be relevant by the next game in the series. She would have been Relevant for Brawl, but then not-so-much by the time Smash 4 was in development (2012..so 6 years without really seeing her)..but she is popular in the Zelda series, hence her and Ghirahim appearing as Assist Trophies.

There's nothing wrong with being a One-Off Character, they can still be important to the game they are in and important to the fans, but yes, in the grand scheme of the series, they don't leave all that much of an impact..I'm sorry to say..Like I don't see Princess Hilda or Ghirahim leaving much of a lasting effect on the series in later entries either..it just is what it is. They could re-use them, but that would mean they'd have to explain why they were reincarnated like Link and Zelda or lived forever like Ganondorf..or even explain why they re-appear with the same name as an ancestor like with Impa..and eventually there would be too many characters to do so with.

And yes, it IS okay for characters from series like Fire Emblem and Mother because otherwise those series wouldn't have ANY characters..and we already saw with Brawl that they will drop one of them due to no longer being relevant if the situation calls for it (swapping Roy out for Ike, who was more relevant).

Really, I wouldn't say its that Midna is popular and Nintendo knows it, outside of appearing in Hyrule Warriors where she was the obvious choice to represent Twilight Princess, since Twilight Princess HD is also because the game itself is popular..but then with her amiibo figure, its credited solely to Wolf Link despite Midna appearing as well (I'll still refer to it as Midna & Wolf Link rather then just Wolf Link).

I don't see these 'signs' you speak of. All we have to go on is Phil Spencer saying they would work with Nintendo if approached about using them, that would still require Nintendo to approach them and, unless they were literally in the Top 10 requests, I just couldn't see Nintendo doing so.
Sheik has appeared in a grand total of one games. So have Robin and Lucina. The amount of games doesn't matter.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think the reason we go back and forth so much here is that we are so adamant on fan rules that don't even apply to Sakurai. I think most people are :4cloud:ed by their own beliefs which stem from these fan rules that they can't accept the idea of a character having a chance.

Call it the YouTube Circlejerk Effect. You see it with "film critics" on the comments of movie reviews on YouTube. Poor logic damns a lot of people to endless cycles of arguments, where one or both of the combatants have no idea what they are talking about.

Tis a part of internet forums. See NeoGAF and GameFAQs for prime examples. Salt is thrown everywhere.

:023:
I guess its all just about who brings the most money imo...its starting to seem that way.

I think it was never about the fans

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

You misunderstood what I meant...I hate the term because its always brought up in a negative light...I like to think that part of Midna's appeal comes from the fact that she's only been in one game...Zelda fans are hopeful for an eventual Twilight Princess sequel even today or for her to appear in a later game (which she may depending on whats planned with the WLM amiibo) and out of all the Zelda remakes, Twilight Princess was amoung the most wanted amoung fans as well...she even has a website dedicated to Wanting Midna Back...

I can see Midna easily being reincarnated like Link and Zelda in the future (if they can do it with Tingle and Beedle it shouldn't be a problem for the Princess of Twilight)...

I think it is fairly obvious that Nintendo is giving her some recognition...she has more going for her than most other Zelda characters outside of the main three...heck in Hyrule Warriors she's the only character other than Link and Zelda to have multiple playable roles...which is surprising since Pig Ganon would make an awesome fighter as well but he's sorta dead in the water when they gave Ganondorf the Trident..

Also Roy wasn't swapped for Ike in Brawl since Roy was intended to be in Brawl, likely cut due to time contstraints...although you could say so for Yink and Tink however...

Gimmick

Smash Ace
Something I'll never understand is why people compare first-party Nintendo characters to third-parties.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
If tomorrow really is the last presentation and finale of Smash DLC, what's going to happen to this thread?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll say right now, I'll get myself a Wii U this week if this DLC is gonna blow my mind.

Still think K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie, Impa and Banjo are likely. I hope to see atleast one.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I think i would actually sell my WiiU & Smash no joke
That...seems kind of petty, dude. All this over one character?

I'm not clamoring for her, but I wouldn't mind her making an apppearance, though I'd imagine they'd have to tone her down in certain respects. Whether or not that would be a good thing would be up for debate.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just a quick heads up - Random Talking Bush (from the Cutting Room Floor, one of the people who leaked Roy and Ryu) has mentioned on his Twitter that the update has been added to the code (or they're on the servers, or something like that; I'm not sure of the technical terms, but the point is that some of the Direct's content is out there).

He's not saying what's in it, given how quickly it spread last time, but other people might not be so courteous, so just to be on the safe side, avoid places like Reddit, gaming news sites, etc. for the next day or so. What's in tomorrow's update might not be everything that's mentioned in the Direct, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'll say right now, I'll get myself a Wii U this week if this DLC is gonna blow my mind.

Still think K.Rool, Isaac, Dixie, Impa and Banjo are likely. I hope to see atleast one.
Still hoping for me Dixie here. Isaac as well. But in general, anyone with wide requests and fanbase would be glad to see.

Anyway, whatever comes...

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
So, we have Nintendo with third parties from Namco Bandai, Capcom, Sega, Square Enix.
One of the last big Japanese developers save for Konami, is Tecmo Koei.
Tecmo has been supporting Nintendo forever and one of the very few third parties to support the Wii U as much as they did.
Just maybe we could see a Tecmo Koei character.
Tecmo actually has a handful of long lasting series.
  • Dead or Alive (96-13)
  • Dynasty Warriors (97-14)
  • Fatal Frame (01-Present)
  • Monster Rancher (97-08)
  • Ninja Gaiden (88-Present)
  • Romance of The Three Kingdoms (85-06)
  • Samurai Warriors (04-14)
I don't know if any of these franchises really have any characters that are Ryu or Cloud level of popularity/ iconic but IDK, food for thought I guess. Most of these franchises popularity resides in the East, so their popularity isn't really as transparent to us here.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I'm pretty much down for anything. Bring it on, after Cloud it could literally be any character so I'm just ready for a new fighter to face and play as.

That being said my big hope is still Banjo Kazooie.

My little hope is Isaac.

and the 15 year old in me still wants Ridley NEVER SAY DIE but it won't happen

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Hi! I'm coming out of lurking for a bit to speak up here.

The lack of inclusion of a character does not invalidate one's time and enjoyment of the games they played featuring that character.

I'm of the opinion that Sakurai and his teams have done an amazing job this go around in terms of the design and translation of the new characters from their base games into Smash... even within the budget and time limitations they faced. I'm very happy with the clones, even! (And yes, even as a fan of Wario from as far back as SML3, I'm perfectly fine with his Smash representation.)

I have my favorites that I'd love to see, but I ultimately put my full trust into what Sakurai has chosen and put forth for all of us to enjoy. No regrets, the teams of both games have truly gone above and beyond post-release to make Smash 4 something very special.

Even if the characters that come in may or may not be any that represent my gaming tastes or choices, I am of the full opinion they will be well-designed and fun to play as.

I'm excited not for specific characters, but because this will in my mind be an amazing closing chapter for Smash 4. I know I'll still be playing it for a long while to come for the game itself, no matter what names or faces ultimately adorn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom