• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official General Post-DLC Discussion [Closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
I agree, the only practical use of polls is to determine player preference of a fraction of a dedicated community. Ironically, even if we were able to actually have every single person who voted on the ballot vote on a poll, there would still be a discrepancy between the results. That also does not account for any liberties that Nintendo or Sakurai may have needed/wanted to take in the first place. Basically, polls are good fun; however, that is about it.

I would hate to say it, but I fell for the skewed picture of King K. Rool for quite some time. I was fairly convinced he would be the undisputed champion of the ballot. Fortunately, I have come to terms with the notion that I was just adhering to a perceived truth. It is definitely not healthy speculation.
I actually fell for that too. I thought K.rool was a shoe in since 90% of fan polls had him on top or high in the polls.
Not to mention, Etika's straw poll got hacked once so polls aren't very accurate.
I know for sure K.rool is in top 5 in the official ballot but I'm not sure about #1.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
The ballot's a suggestion box though, not a popularity contest. This has been specifically worded through advertising.
"Submit us a character from a videogame and we'll consider turning that character into a Super Smash Bros fighter!"
However a major factor in the decision process is popularity, so it counts.

Miikon

Smash Cadet
I actually fell for that too. I thought K.rool was a shoe in since 90% of fan polls had him on top or high in the polls.
Not to mention, Etika's straw poll got hacked once so polls aren't very accurate.
I know for sure K.rool is in top 5 in the official ballot but I'm not sure about #1.
Chances are that Dixie Kong beat King K. Rool because she is more exposed to the masses, thus more people know of her. but with that said, King K. Rool might beat her in the end due to him being a heavy weight character by default and thus more interesting from a gameplay standpoint. So the question Sakurai has to answer is: Gameplay or money/popularity?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Chances are that Dixie Kong beat King K. Rool because she is more exposed to the masses, thus more people know of her. but with that said, King K. Rool might beat her in the end due to him being a heavy weight character by default and thus more interesting from a gameplay standpoint. So the question Sakurai has to answer is: Gameplay or money/popularity?
All in my opinion, I believe that gameplay and popularity are both factors for decision.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Guys, remember that in the ballot, there were COMMENTS to add to the 'application' of what character could be implemented into the series. And knowing the fanbase, Smashboards in particular, people will write movesets, ideas, tidbits, and such, so there's that too...

:bowser:

D

Deleted member

I would rather have K. Rool in the end over Dixie but I do want her to get in as well. if she gets in over him I'm fine with if. Popularity, making the characters work, and gameplay are all factored in. With that said K. Rool should be a shoe in. But is he? Well only one man can Awnser that Masahiro Sakurai and he will hopefully in the December presentation.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I'd prefer Dixie Kong BUT King K. Rool would be fine too.

Of course the best option is both of them; DK is a fairly big series and if Fire Emblem can get away with 5 characters DK can definitely have 4.

My only hopes for the December presentation are playable Inklings, one or two good new 1P modes, and more Melee stages. That and a correctly-ordered character select screen.

Strong-Arm

Smash Ace
NNID
stormfury
3DS FC
2836-0207-2430
Hey guys, just to spark up some controversy here, wouldn't it be funny if an MK character somehow made it in? Considering how both Sub Zero and Scorpion are iconic video game characters that practically everyone knows, some people recognize them over Ryu even. It would be neat to see but probably wont happen but then again....Cloud got in...

Anyways. I personally believe Wolf is getting in for sure, and I think either Snake, Shovel Knight, or possibly K.Rool have a decent enough shot at getting in.

TheSpitefulWolf

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just to spark up some controversy here, wouldn't it be funny if an MK character somehow made it in? Considering how both Sub Zero and Scorpion are iconic video game characters that practically everyone knows, some people recognize them over Ryu even. It would be neat to see but probably wont happen but then again....Cloud got in...

Anyways. I personally believe Wolf is getting in for sure, and I think either Snake, Shovel Knight, or possibly K.Rool have a decent enough shot at getting in.
Already got a fighting game rep(Ryu), platformer rep(Sonic), and action-adventure rep(Megaman). Strongly doubt he's gonna double-up on genre reps when it comes to 3rd party. Hasn't yet.

Morbi

Scavenger
Already got a fighting game rep(Ryu), platformer rep(Sonic), and action-adventure rep(Megaman). Strongly doubt he's gonna double-up on genre reps when it comes to 3rd party. Hasn't yet.
I HIGHLY doubt Sakurai interprets those characters to solely represent a genre. Those characters were chosen based on their merits. That just happens to include the notion that they finely represent their respective genre as well. Another fighting game character could easily make it in. Another platforming character could easily make it in. Another Action-Adventure character could easily make it in. I always thought that Megaman was from a platformer to be honest. That being said, I somewhat (extremely) doubt Scorpion and Sub-Zero despite my love for Mortal Kombat based on the M-Rated connotations. Sub-Zero without ripping out spines is not really Sub-Zero.

Luis1234554321

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Luis-Dui
3DS FC
0259-0603-2596
I think Cloud and the another DLCs (characters, stages an mii costumes) will be avaiable after the "direct":)

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
We don't know how well either of them are doing in the ballot to determine who is "more popular" suggestion in the ballot.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think Cloud and the another DLCs (characters, stages an mii costumes) will be avaiable after the "direct":)
I believe some will be available after, but some will release in 2016....but all will be revealed.
I don't think they will reveal anything else in future general Directs.
I'd prefer Dixie Kong BUT King K. Rool would be fine too.

Of course the best option is both of them; DK is a fairly big series and if Fire Emblem can get away with 5 characters DK can definitely have 4.

My only hopes for the December presentation are playable Inklings, one or two good new 1P modes, and more Melee stages. That and a correctly-ordered character select screen.
You have no idea for how long I've been waiting for this.

Heck, I would PAY to get the 3 last-minute clones & 1st/2nd party DLC characters be with their respective series, and preferably have Yoshi not be between Mario reps.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I believe some will be available after, but some will release in 2016....but all will be revealed.
I don't think they will reveal anything else in future general Directs.
In that likely case, I think we're getting 2 more at the Broadcast along with Cloud, just like we got Ryu and Roy along withLucas at June.

ErenJager

Smash Champion

What about Khameleon, she was pretty much a nintendo exclusive character for the MK series.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You'd be suprised actually. Polls show her to be the most popular indie character in Japan.
Looks show nothing, as indicated by our very own PushDustin, creator of this poll you all are referencing every other post, cited explicitly why it Doesnt help us much at all.

As far as Isaac, the reason I'd put him above Bandana Dee is because it's an entirely new. Character AND series. It comes down to why his AT was removed. And I have high hopes for that reasoning.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Looks show nothing, as indicated by our very own PushDustin, creator of this poll you all are referencing every other post, cited explicitly why it Doesnt help us much at all.

As far as Isaac, the reason I'd put him above Bandana Dee is because it's an entirely new. Character AND series. It comes down to why his AT was removed. And I have high hopes for that reasoning.
Besides, consideirng the high standards for third-party characters, she is completely unrealistic.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
People still think Shovel Knight has "a decent chance"?

Like the thought of going from such an icon like Cloud Strife to some random indie character just boggles my mind. I didn't think he had a chance even with the rumors and I definitely don't think he does now.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
People still think Shovel Knight has "a decent chance"?

Like the thought of going from such an icon like Cloud Strife to some random indie character just boggles my mind. I didn't think he had a chance even with the rumors and I definitely don't think he does now.
I don't think anyone here thinks he does. But in comparison to Shantae he's got it better which really isn't saying much.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't think anyone here thinks he does. But in comparison to Shantae he's got it better which really isn't saying much.
Not really, they are both pretty much in the same situation- niche third-party characters who only has a slim chance if Sakurai is specifically looking for "indie reps" and characters who were only highly requested in the west during the ballot. OPutside of that, arguing over who has the better merits is moot when neither have a real overall advantage.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Not really, they are both pretty much in the same situation- niche third-party characters who only has a slim chance if Sakurai is specifically looking for "indie reps" and characters who were only highly requested in the west during the ballot. OPutside of that, arguing over who has the better merits is moot when neither have a real overall advantage.
Hence why I said "which really isn't saying much"

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

It was an entirely different poll I was refering to, and I've discussed my stance on the second thing.

Sorry, but have you been reading, like at all?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
*double, sorry*
It was an entirely different poll I was refering to, and I've discussed my stance on the second thing.

Sorry but have you been reading?
You didn't reference a poll. You retro actively found a source which did not comply to your initial thesis. Even then, it doesn't diminish the point several best me toward- "polls" show nothing.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
You didn't reference a poll. You retro actively found a source which did not comply to your initial thesis. Even then, it doesn't diminish the point several best me toward- "polls" show nothing.
It was from Knowyourmeme actually.

Also you double-posted.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It was from Knowyourmeme actually.

Also you double-posted.

Edit: And if polls mean nothing then this convo means nothing either, we're literally talking about nothing.
Yeah, I saw the retroactive quotation. Which did not back the claim, and still doesn't make any poll reliable. Much less number 325...Jesus, that is nowhere near a front runner.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
As in actually linking to the page where you found it. Saying "It's from KYM" isn't citing your source properly.
Maybe because it only appears in search engine results and connot be found in the actual page. But meh, I don't feel the need to discuss this anymore, it's basically been beaten like a dead horse at this point, I say we drop. Let's talk about Cooking Mama, no one gives her love.

D

Deleted member

Well she is a Nintendo character, and she would have a unique moveset, And that food does delicious. Eh why not?

Sorry, but have you been reading, like at all?
325th on a poll from knowyourmeme of all places means one of two things. Either it means Shantae is hillarioulsy unpopular because there are 325 people are ahead of her of knowyourmeme is not a trusted source. Im gonna go with both

The only thing that poll did was hurt your argument tremendously.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
325th on a poll from knowyourmeme of all places means one of two things. Either it means Shantae is hillarioulsy unpopular because there are 325 people are ahead of her of knowyourmeme is not a trusted source. Im gonna go with both

The only thing that poll did was hurt your argument tremendously.
Oni, we stopped discussing this about two hours ago, do you really want to go back again?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I see Nintenzilla still hasn't learned but to take a poll from a laughably bad source (knowyourmeme) to prove that Shante is popular compared to the 3rd parties we already got.... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom