• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Pikmin Content Support Thread

R O F L

Smash Ace
I really hope we get to see some sales figures for Pikmin 3 Deluxe soon, this game is crucial to the future of Pikmin. If it underperforms, we probably won't be seeing Pikmin 4 until at least the next console generation, let alone any new possible Smash content.

There is some false info going around that Pikmin 3 Deluxe is selling horribly, but the data this is based on this is from physical copies only, which we all know are down anyway and almost all physical sales being replaced by digital sales due to the Covid-19 pandemic. According to all medium charts, Pikmin 3 Deluxe is doing alright compared to other Nintendo Switch games, but no actual sales figures are public yet.

There also hasn't been any spirit events related to Pikmin yet, which has in the past led to there being a new fighter. But Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a port, so it's reasonable to expect that there wouldn't be a spirit event anyway.
There is also a lack of spirits for some crucial Pikmin characters though, notably the Hocotate Ship and The President, who both have major appearances in the new content for Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I really hope we get to see some sales figures for Pikmin 3 Deluxe soon, this game is crucial to the future of Pikmin. If it underperforms, we probably won't be seeing Pikmin 4 until at least the next console generation, let alone any new possible Smash content.

There is some false info going around that Pikmin 3 Deluxe is selling horribly, but the data this is based on this is from physical copies only, which we all know are down anyway and almost all physical sales being replaced by digital sales due to the Covid-19 pandemic. According to all medium charts, Pikmin 3 Deluxe is doing alright compared to other Nintendo Switch games, but no actual sales figures are public yet.

There also hasn't been any spirit events related to Pikmin yet, which has in the past led to there being a new fighter. But Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a port, so it's reasonable to expect that there wouldn't be a spirit event anyway.
There is also a lack of spirits for some crucial Pikmin characters, notably the Hocotate Ship and The President, who both have major appearances in the new content for Pikmin 3 Deluxe.
Also that was for the UK only, which literally JUST went under lockdown. No figures for the US/Canada/Japan yet

R O F L

Smash Ace
Famitsu has released some of the latest weekly charts for video games and hardware in Japan. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is currently at the top of the weekly video game software charts in Japan, and apparently received around 170,000 copies sold in Japan alone! And these are just physical copies by the way!
Currently, Pikmin 3 Deluxe is the fastest selling Pikmin game in Japan!

Pikmin 3 Deluxe is doing really well so far for Pikmin standards, in Japan at least. I hope we see some more sales figures soon.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Finishing up a run on Ultra-Spicy soon, first time I've ever beaten the Quaggled Mireclops in half of a day! (I don't use the Winged Pikmin exploit). Overall it didn't feel much harder than Hard, though the 60-pikmin limit was a little annoying at times.

Also that last day at the Twilight River's a pain, simply because you only have 2-3 fruit to get and you finish all of that with over half of the day left on the timer, which makes it feel like a bit of a waste. I guess the strategy is to beeline for Winged Pikmin and try to save Louie on the first day while doing the side stuff on the surplus day.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Im all for a Charlie, Louie, or Brittany echo fighter. Replace the purple Pikmin with a Rock pikmin and maybe make Louie or whoever a bit slower than Olimar/Alph to compensate for the stronger Rock pikmin attack.

Either way echo fighters are such a question mark to me. Sakurai hyped up echo fighters and we only ended up getting 4. Echo fighters aren't as hard to make as regular fighters but I recognize they still take time. I know the team developing the DLC is much smaller than the base game so I think after Fighters Pass 2 is done (given its tremendous sales) I think Nintendo would be crazy not to make an echo fighters pass. It would probably only take 6 months or less to make and it would be easy money.

My ideas for an echo pass would be:

• Louie (Olimar)
  • Medusa (Palutena)
  • Octolings (Inklings)
  • Jeanne (Bayonetta)
  • Dixie Kong (Diddy Kong)*

* I believe Dixie Kong could be more than an echo easily that being said if she is not in Fighters Pass 2 (which she likely wont be) than Dixie being in the game as an echo is better than not having her at all. A character of her status and pedigree deserves to be in Ultimate.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Part of me thinks if Louie gets in he should be more to do with the various bugs, but I can't logically see him being anything but a semi clone.

Due to his size being different from Olimar and Alph who are both shorties, I think it'd be another Isabelle-Villager style clone rather than full on echo.

R O F L

Smash Ace
The President of Nintendo in an interview said that they were trying to market smaller Nintendo games, like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, to people who bought a Nintendo Switch for one of their big viral games like Animal Crossing and Breath of the Wild. He also noted that people who bought Animal Crossing New Horizons would typically pick Pikmin 3 Deluxe for their next Nintendo game, especially in Japan. I hope this means that most sales for Pikmin 3 Deluxe are coming from a new audience of people who were initially interested in Animal Crossing, this could be really good for Pikmin's future.

Part of me thinks if Louie gets in he should be more to do with the various bugs, but I can't logically see him being anything but a semi clone.

Due to his size being different from Olimar and Alph who are both shorties, I think it'd be another Isabelle-Villager style clone rather than full on echo.
Yeah, I would have to agree with you. If Louie ever gets in he is going to be an echo or clone, I highly doubt they would ever make a new move set for a character who seems identical to Olimar from a glance and he wouldn't be a skin due to the height problems you mentioned. I do think he'd get a Titan Dweevil final smash though, it's too perfect for them not to do it.

If they do add him however, even as an echo fighter or clone, I hope they give him SOME personality. Louie is one of the most unique characters in Pikmin. The lack of personality is my absolute least favorite part about Olimar and Alph in Smash. They have highly differing personalities in their games, but Smash just gives them some generic and non-existent personality.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
I'm starting to get a little tired of seeing "Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a flop" everywhere. It's hard for me to find any content on Pikmin 3 Deluxe without seeing several videos or articles on Pikmin 3 failing, despite the data they are basing this on being very minimal and only represents a small fraction of sales which happens to be low at the time regardless of what games were currently being sold. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is actually the fastest selling Pikmin game to date as far as we currently know, making this statement even more incorrect. I'm assuming this data was just more publicized as a result of it being the very first sales data on Pikmin 3 Deluxe.

People are also saying that they've been marketing Pikmin 3 Deluxe very poorly, and that is probably the reason for it apparently flopping. I'd like to differ, I think they've marketed Pikmin 3 Deluxe fairly well. I have tested by erasing my history, and I've found that looking at Animal Crossing content will give you many more advertisements for Pikmin 3 deluxe, which is effective considering both of them are cutesy games and have a similar relaxing and engaging nature. This is also what the President of Nintendo has mentioned in his interview, pretty much confirming that this tactic worked.
The lack of any major YouTubers and Streamers playing Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a little disappointing though, if any variety channel or streamer with a large following played it, it could most definitely receive a large boost in attention. I'm assuming it would've been successful in this medium if they gave it online multiplayer.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm starting to get a little tired of seeing "Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a flop" everywhere.
Good news there. As you say, it's the fastest selling one having already outdone the Wii U lifetime sales in Japan, and has managed to stay in first place over there for two weeks in a row.

It's on track to be the best selling Pikmin title to date, so those who jumped onto the 'flop' train due to the UK sales(which didn't even contain the frigging digital sales) are in for a very rude awakening :ultchrom::ultrobin::ultlucina: soon enough.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is now the best selling Pikmin game of all time in Japan... And it's been less than 3 months!

This is the kind of sales numbers Pikmin needs to become a more relevant Nintendo franchise, and we're finally getting it after 20 years!

R O F L

Smash Ace
This is fantastic!!! What are the current sales numbers?
The Japanese sales for Pikmin 3 Deluxe are around 513,225. 10k sales higher than the Japanese sales for the original Pikmin for Gamecube and twice the Japanese sales for Wii U Pikmin 3. BTW these are just physical copies, it's around 700,000 sales in Japan for both physical and digital combined!

These are fantastic numbers for only about 3 months time! Unfortunately, I don't think any global sales figures are out yet, but it's sure to be over 1M now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The Japanese sales for Pikmin 3 Deluxe are around 513,225. 10k sales higher than the Japanese sales for the original Pikmin for Gamecube and twice the Japanese sales for Wii U Pikmin 3. BTW these are just physical copies, it's around 700,000 sales in Japan for both physical and digital combined!

These are fantastic numbers for only about 3 months time! Unfortunately, I don't think any global sales figures are out yet, but it's sure to be over 1M now.
Also mind that there’s a pandemic rn so digital is bound to overtake physical at this point in time

slight tangent also but since (almost) every Wii U to Switch port has been a great success, there’s one (maybe two) more Wii U games I wanna see ported as well, to breathe the same fresh life into them

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
The developers of Pokemon Go are making a Pikmin AR game for the IOS.
As someone who doesn't own a smart phone, I couldn't really care less myself. But I hope this increases the exposure for the franchise. It probably won't be even a tenth of how much of a smash hit as Pokemon GO was, but I guess it's nice to see anyways and I hope it benefits the franchise in some shape or form.

Not the Pikmin announcement I was expecting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

For those who wanted to see the tweet.

Interesting that they'd pick Pikmin for this...most their other mobile efforts have been high profile Nintendo IP like Mario, Animal Crossing and Pokémon with only the gacha rich Fire Emblem being the only smaller series offering.

Hopefully it gets people talking about Pikmin a little more, or at least increases the series' profile somehow. I know I slept on Pikmin until last year, and now it's my third favourite Nintendo series.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I don't talk about too much on here, but I love Pikmin, it's definitely in my top 5 Nintendo series, and I would love for it to get more content.

personally I want Alph to be upgraded to an echo and Plasm Wraith to be a fighter.

as for stages, Formidable Oak seems like it would well as a stage, but a Cave stage based on Pikmin 2 probably makes the most sense.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Interesting that they'd pick Pikmin for this...most their other mobile efforts have been high profile Nintendo IP like Mario, Animal Crossing and Pokémon with only the gacha rich Fire Emblem being the only smaller series offering.

Hopefully it gets people talking about Pikmin a little more, or at least increases the series' profile somehow. I know I slept on Pikmin until last year, and now it's my third favourite Nintendo series.
Hm...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The developers of Pokemon Go are making a Pikmin AR game for the IOS.
As someone who doesn't own a smart phone, I couldn't really care less myself. But I hope this increases the exposure for the franchise. It probably won't be even a tenth of how much of a smash hit as Pokemon GO was, but I guess it's nice to see anyways and I hope it benefits the franchise in some shape or form.

Not the Pikmin announcement I was expecting.
Still, it shows Nintendo's growing confidence in the brand, so any new Pikmin product is something to be excited for!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

now this is gonna be interesting to watch

although i dont think its all that surprising that theyre having a go with pikmin. nintendo always seem to use pikmin in promo stuff and you see them all over the place, the series may not be as big as others but i think it has a special place in their hearts

R O F L

Smash Ace
Nintendo has been pushing Pikmin quite a lot recently, Pikmin 3 deluxe has been getting tons of advertising and coverage on their social media accounts, they released the Pikmin short movies for free on their YouTube channel, the new IOS Pikmin game, etc.
At this point, I wouldn't be too surprised if we actually get a Pikmin character in Smash to promote Pikmin 3 Deluxe. Though, we already did get a promotional character in DLC pack 2, but there are 6 characters this time.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nintendo has been pushing Pikmin quite a lot recently, Pikmin 3 deluxe has been getting tons of advertising and coverage on their social media accounts, they released the Pikmin short movies for free on their YouTube channel, the new IOS Pikmin game, etc.
Not to mention Pikmin is the only non Marioverse IP currently featured in any way in Super Nintendo World.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking about Pikmin characters in Smash. Maybe Louie / Brittany could get in as a semi-clone of Olimar / Alph where they only use Rock Pikmin and Winged Pikmin (for recovery)... and maybe they could use Bomb Rocks and Ultra-Spicy Spray and the Rock Pikmin could break shields.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Pikmin Mobile App first details

We got a little info about the new Pikmin game here(no this isn't an April Fools, I'm just late bringing it up), here's some of the info for those who don't trust the link:

""Pikmin App”, as it’s currently known, starts by giving players several Pikmin Seedlings in an item bag. Seedlings grow by absorbing Step Energy generated by walking with the Pikmin App and can be plucked once enough energy has been accumulated for growth.

Players can individually name each Pikmin they’ve plucked, or automatically generate one from the app. In the current version of Niantic’s Pikmin App, there are seven species of Pikmin to grow:

• Red Pikmin
  • Blue Pikmin
  • Yellow Pikmin
  • Purple Pikmin
  • White Pikmin
  • Rock Pikmin
  • Winged Pikmin
  • Pikmin Attributes
  • Pikmin Flowers
In addition, players can find Decor Pikmin, which are described as “unusual” Pikmin wearing attire associated with the place you found them. Decor Pikmin are grown from Big Seedling items, or your existing Pikmin may turn into Decor Pikmin by interacting with them in certain places.

As players explore by walking around the real world, they’ll discover new Seedlings and their Pikmin Squad may pick up items along the way, like fruit. The fruit converts into Nectar, which you’ll give to Pikmin so that they can bloom flowers whose petals you can collect.

Tapping on the flowers allows players to collect flower petals, which they’ll use during a special Flower Planting mode. Flower petals can come in four colours: red, blue, yellow, or white.

Flower Planting is a walking mode that forms flower trails as you walk. As a benefit, Seedlings are easier to find, and Seedlings planted in your item bag grow faster.

Currently, there are no microtransactions in the Pimin App, but these could yet be added in time for the title’s general release."

The link goes on to talk about other features such as expedition mode(which may be familiar to Hey! Pikmin players) and the Lifelog. Seems like it's a more passive experience than Pokemon Go but still interesting.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

We have officially broken the 2 million barrier!
That's great news! Especially after all the initial doom about how Pikmin was doomed due to low physical sales in the UK.

Looks like Pikmin 4 may eventually happen after all if it keeps it up...

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Where the Heck is Pikmin 4??? - YouTube

While there were many many other things in the E3 Direct relating to other Nintendo series that made me extremely happy and I overall think it was a very good presentation, I also can't help but be a little sad to see Pikmin 4 MIA once again.

Maybe someday.......
I'm sure we'll really start seeing the 3 Deluxe Success Effect come next year!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Forgive me for the double post, but with E3 out and the big boys gone, and FP11 probably being first party, now would be the time for us to rally! Granted, it probably is too late, given when Pass 2 was decided, but who knows. We could luck out in the end! People are rallying for Octoling, why don't we rally for Louie?!

Top Bottom