• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Pikmin Content Support Thread

R O F L

Smash Ace
Pikmin is one of the better represented franchises when it comes to overall content. But that doesn't mean that more isn't due sometime down the line. As for DLC, I bet the only chance for Pikmin content relies on Pikmin 4, whether a single spirit or a full DLC character, I don't know.
The Pikmin franchise was first included in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a trophy, but it was given a lot more in Brawl, where it got a full character. Since then, the franchise hasn't gained much content, with only getting a new stage to represent Pikmin 3.

Possible Characters:

Louie.

The final boss of Pikmin 2, and a major story character in Pikmin 3, Louie is 100% the second most important Pikmin character. If you've beaten Pikmin 2, then you know about Louie's relationship with bugs. A unique moveset for him would be him using different bugs as attacks, it makes sense to canon, it would help represent the vast amount of wildlife the game has to offer, and he could offer a summoner playstyle the nobody currently has.
Moveset:
Neutral Special: Summons a Shergrub onto the stage that performs set actions. Cycles between Female, Male, and Shearwig.
Side Special: Summons a Dwarf Bulborb onto the stage the performs set actions. Cycles between Red, Orange, Snow, and Bulbear.
Down Special: Summons a Careening Dirigibug who quickly drops a single bomb rock and leaves.
Up Special: Gets carried by a Swooping Snitchbug

FSmash: He holds out a Bulborb that does a single bite. Cycles between Red, Orange, Hairy, Bulbear, and Whptounge.
DSmash: A Mamuta smashes the ground, grounding anyone hit by it.
USmash: A Wollywog jumps over his head.

Jab: Same as Olimar's one-two punch.
FTilt: Same as Olimar's Rocket Punch
UTilt: He gets picked up by a Dweevil.
DTilt: A Hermit Crawmad launches itself outward.
Dash Attack: Same as Olimar's cartwheel.

Nair: Same as Olimar's spin
Fair: Sprays fire infront of him with a Fiery Blowhog.
Bair: A Water Dumple bites anything behind him.
Dair: Sprays water downward with a Watery Blowhog.
Uair: He uses a Puffy Blowhog to create a windbox akin to Game & Watch's old Uair.

Grab: Breadbug

Final Smash: Titan Dweevil!

Plasm Wraith.
The final boss of Pikmin 3, he makes more sense as a villain than Louie. If they add another Pikmin rep and purposely make it a villain, then Plasm Wraith has a good chance. Also, with Pikmin 4 coming out eventually, if he returns as the villain, then his chances are raised greatly. As a character, he could offer a unique size and weight changing mechanic.
Moveset W.I.P

The President.
Don't go yet, The President is the only captain that doesn't currently have a spirit, despite having a trophy in Brawl and being as major as Louie in Pikmin 2. If spirits do deconfirm characters, then The President is our best bet as a new Pikmin rep. He could also potentially be a Pikmin 4 promotional rep if he ends up being a major character. However, I can't see him as anything but an Olimar echo.
My idea for a President echo would be a simpler Olimar. All Pikmin effects would be lessened, with their weaknesses lessed also.
So
Reds deal overall less damage, but deal more damage with throws.
Yellows have smaller hitboxes, but the throwing speed of Side B and damage are better.
Blues deal overall less damage with throws, but deal more damage.
Whites travel less distance with Side B, have less grab range, but deal a lot more damage.
Purples deal less damage, but travel farther.

Other changes would be:
Air speed is faster.
Ground speed is faster.
Weight is higher.
Down B loses Super Armor frames, but has a no-flinch hitbox and has more range.
Smash Attacks are stronger, but slightly slower.
Side Tilt is stronger.

A must aesthetic change for is Final Smash would be re-skinning the Hocotate Ship to be gold, just like how he is in the President-half of Pikmin 2

Emperor Bulblax.
Probably the most unlikely out of all the fighters I listed, he could still work. He's the final boss of Pikmin, and returned as a mini-boss in Pikmin 2. He's iconic to the series and could work as a villain rep, and an enemy rep. However, I couldn't really think of anything to make him work different than normal heavies.
Moveset W.I.P

Also fresh off of the presses, I've made a moveset concept for Bulbmin, which encompasses Olimar's moveset from Brawl to help revive it. It isn't quite 1-1, as there's some differences that would obviously need to be there, but for the most part I'd say it's all there!

View attachment 273208

Here's a link to the image elsewhere so that its a little easier to read: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49949697006/in/dateposted-public/

UPDATE: Might as well post the rest of my Pikmin related movesets:

Plasm Wraith: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49880323058/in/dateposted-public/

View attachment 273210

Louie (King of Bugs) Moveset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49891660108/in/dateposted-public/

View attachment 273211

Louie (Semi-Clone) Moveset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49891667543/in/dateposted-public/

View attachment 273213

Louie (Survival Instincts) Moveset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49892183926/in/dateposted-public/

View attachment 273214

That should be all of them!

Possible Stages:
Any area from the Pikmin franchise could work as a stage. We already have The Garden of Hope, Awakening Wood/Forest of Hope (Distant Planet. If you didn't know, Awakening Wood and the Forest of Hope are the same place, but are from different games. Same with Wistful Wild, it's a combination of The Final Trial and The Impact Site.)

Other stage possibilities could be:
Any sub-area, so basically the interior of Formidable Oak, or the mini-caves from Pikmin 3.
Any cave from Pikmin 2, or a stage that travels between them.
A stage that could take place in orbit around the Pikmin Planet, resembling the map screen from the first two games, and using the Ship and Onions as platforms.

Possible Music:
We can all agree that Pikmin is misrepresented in Music, will almost all tracks in Smash being either Main Theme - Pikmin, Garden of Hope - Pikmin 3, or World Map - Pikmin 2.
Ultimate didn't help much with Pikmin's music misrepresentation, it added a remix of Garden of Hope, another remix of the Main Theme, and it added four Hey! Pikmin tracks, which were not needed.

IMO, the most needed tracks right now are: (In order)
Boss Theme - Pikmin 2
Wistful Wild - Pikmin 2
Plasm Wraith - Pikmin 3
Awakening Wood - Pikmin 2
The Final Trial - Pikmin
End of Day - Pikmin
The Forest Navel - Pikmin
Perplexing Pool - Pikmin 2
Ai No Uta (Re-add) - Strawberry Flower
Tane No Uta (Re-add) - Strawberry Flower
Ai No Uta French (Re-add) - Strawberry Flower
Namida Ga Afureta - Strawberry Flower

If we get a cave-based stage, then a Cave Medley and Vehemoth Phosbat are a must, but they wouldn't fit with any current stages.

Possible Assists:
Pretty much any Pikmin enemy could work as an assist. I'll three enemies that would behave uniquely and are iconic to the series.
Swooping Snitchbug: Would swoop and grab fighters, and throw them down after a few seconds, when they land of the ground they should get buried.
Breadbug: Would wander around and drag items toward you. It should also be able to drag items other fighters are holding.
Waterwraith: Would basically act as an Inkling with roller that never runs out, he would patrol the platform he was spawned on.

Possible Items:
The only items I could think of are the two sprays.
Super Spicy, which would increase speed and attack speed.
Ultra-Bitter, which would turn your opponent into stone for a short period of time.

Possible Spirits:
Pikmin is currently well-represented in Spirits. It has a good amount of spirits and the list of them contains all Pikmin types, all captains but The President, and most of the iconic enemies.
All Pikmin enemies have official artwork, so any enemy from the series could work as a spirit. Other spirits could be: Bulbmin, The Hocotate Ship, The S.S. Drake, Onion, Pellet Posy, The S.S. Dolphin, or The President.
Feel free to post made-up spirit battles.

Possible Bosses:
Arguably, any boss from the Pikmin franchise could work as an in-game boss. However, if Pikmin does get a boss, it should be Plasm Wraith, Emperor Bulblax, or Beady Long Legs, no one else is really iconic enough to the franchise.

Possible Mii Costumes:
More Mii Costumes are confirmed (I think) to come as DLC. Pikmin currently has zero Mii Costumes or Hats, so getting one shouldn't be very unlikely.
Pikmin hats have existed as hats in Street Pass Mii Plaza, so they are a possibility.
Olimar's suit as a Swordfighter could also work, with the sword being a Pikmin.
Other than the ones I listed, pretty much the only things that could work are hats of enemies or ships.

Counter Arguments Toward More Pikmin Content:
Some of the major counter arguments to Pikmin content being in Smash is the fact that the game doesn't usually sell well and that the game hasn't gotten a new major title since 2014.
The franchise has existed since Melee and has had a character since Brawl. You could use the same argument for more F-Zero of Earthbound characters here, the series has existed in Smash with only one character for quite some time, therefore deserving another character some time down the road. Except Pikmin is actually a "non-dead" series, we got Hey! Pikmin recently and Pikmin 4 is confirmed to be in development.

Another counter argument is that no other characters could work besides for Olimar.
This is outright not true. While there aren't very many characters you could choose from, many of them could offer a unique moveset while still being iconic to series, like the characters I listed earlier.

What About Pikmin 4?:
As you all know, Pikmin 4 is confirmed to come, eventually. I think there is a good chance of a promotional rep if the game comes out in the next year. The game has been in development for a long time, so the Smash Team would've known about it at the time they chose the DLC content. The franchise hasn't ever really sold too well, the fact that Pikmin 3 came out at the start of the Wii U's lifetime didn't help, so Nintendo promoting it through Smash doesn't seem too unlikely.

What About the Post-Fighter's Pass DLC?:
Now that we know that there's more DLC after the fighter's pass, what chances does Pikmin content have?
As of the 9/4/2019 direct, we don't know what the conditions of the post-fighter's pass DLC, like if they will include 1st party characters or not. However we do know that the decision to do this was made after the game, so spirits do not do deconfirm characters. This means that Louie and Plasm Wraith aren't deconfirmed.
Right now I'm betting that some of the mii costume characters, like Rex and Dixie Kong, will be the first, Nintendo IP, DLC characters. The chance of Pikmin content more-so depends on how many DLC characters they're going to make. Because like I said earlier in the thread, Pikmin's lack of demand probably means the only chance is through tons of characters or a Pikmin 4 promotion.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Updated to add a moveset, or echo differences, for The President/President Sacho.

My idea is a more simple Olimar where the Pikmin's special abilities and weaknesses are made less prominent. But a more complex Olimar would work too, where it would heavily focus on the Pikmin's abilities and weaknesses to get anything done.

Notes on my moveset:
Air Speed, Ground Speed, and Weight are all better to make up the Pikmin's weakened special abilities.
Smash Attack and Side Tilt buff to make up for worse K.O power and loss of a kill throw.
Down B change is optional, but I though the changes I made were pretty cool.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
How about Twilight River as a stage? Something can easily be done with the Lily Pads. I also really loved the music there, and seeing what Ultimate did with the Garden of Hope, they're bound to come up with something neat.

Quaggled Mireclops could be a pretty cool boss. He's not the most iconic Pikmin boss but I'd say he can work in Smash.

Anyhow, about the characters themselves, I think the most interesting pick would be someone who'd represent Pikmin's wildlife. While the Plasmwraith would be a fun addition, I don't feel like he really represents the natural wildlife all too well. The best pick I can think of is the Emperor Bulblax really, I might try coming up with a moveset for him for the hell of it.
Also, I kinda want Rock Pikmin to be added to Olimar's lineup of Pikmin instead of just making Alph a separate character. I feel like I'm mostly alone on that idea.

Anyhoo, I don't really think we'll ever get any of that in the DLC packs, but it's a fun thought so who cares.

Last edited:

Erfly

Smash Cadet
You mention possible music but don't list bulblax kingdom, FOR SHAME!

In all honesty my stance on the characters has been this:
The first choice is to have all captains under Olimar, a bit like Bowser Jr. Of course you'd have to have a couple other alts in there considering there's only 6, but I think they could make it work.
The second choice, which I'd love a ton more, (or at least just seperate Louie from the other 5) is to have Louie & Dweevil, a nice counterpart to Olimar & Pikmin, where he could be a lot more representative of the beasts in pikmin.

Outside of that Pikmin doesn't need a huuuuuge amount of representation I feel, maybe a waterwraith as an assist trophy, since it's pretty iconic, (EDIT: Just properly read the op and I like your assist selection a lot) or if you want to go super crazy, a bulborb fighter character.

But yee, I love Pikmin a lot, and Pikmin 2 I think is one of my favourite games from jut how often I want to replay it.

As an aside, I feel while they're not as iconic as say, the Emperor Bulblax, the Titan Dweevil would be fantastic as a boss, they just have such an arsenal of weapons to pull from.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Make Alph his own character. I have no other wish for this franchise. But to be honest, I never played any Pikmin game either.

R O F L

Smash Ace
You mention possible music but don't list bulblax kingdom, FOR SHAME!
To be fair it would be part of the Cave Medley I listed :p

Anyhoo, I don't really think we'll ever get any of that in the DLC packs, but it's a fun thought so who cares.
If Pikmin 4 is a 2019 Nintendo title, then a Pikmin 4 promotional rep is pretty likely.
Other than that, yeah, more Pikmin content in the DLC pack is unlikely. But we could possibly get more than the DLC pack.

But to be honest, I never played any Pikmin game either.
I recommend you try them. They're a really good RTS.

R O F L

Smash Ace
No Pikmin at all in the Nintendo Direct.

If we don't see any Pikmin at e3, then all chances for Pikmin content are gone.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Titan Dweevil to represent the wildlife as a newcomer heck i can come up with a moveset for him:

Neutral-Flare Cannon

Side-Shock Therapist

Up-Monster Pump

Down-Comedy Bomb

Final Smash-Waterwraith's Rampage

If not playable have him as a boss fight in Classic and Adventure modes

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Well.

There is actually a slight chance of new pikmin stuff now.
If there is any, I still bet it'll be promotional for Pikmin 4.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman

Attachments

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Also fresh off of the presses, I've made a moveset concept for Bulbmin, which encompasses Olimar's moveset from Brawl to help revive it. It isn't quite 1-1, as there's some differences that would obviously need to be there, but for the most part I'd say it's all there!

Bulbmin Moveset.jpg

Here's a link to the image elsewhere so that its a little easier to read: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49949697006/in/dateposted-public/

UPDATE: Might as well post the rest of my Pikmin related movesets:

Plasm Wraith: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49880323058/in/dateposted-public/

Plasm Wraith Moveset.jpg

Louie (King of Bugs) Moveset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49891660108/in/dateposted-public/

Louie (King of Bugs) Moveset.jpg

Louie (Semi-Clone) Moveset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49891667543/in/dateposted-public/

Louie (Semi-Clone) Moveset.jpg

Louie (Survival Instincts) Moveset: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49892183926/in/dateposted-public/

Louie (Survival Instincts) Moveset.jpg

That should be all of them! Feel free to use any of these in the OP if you'd like!

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
We're going to be rating Louie relatively soon in the Rate Their Chances thread! I'll drop a reminder the day of so we can show our support!

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Double post, but now with base game spirits back on the table, Louie's back in the running!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
The Titan Dweevil itself would be freaking overkill and very awesome to play as!
(Without Louie.)

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
DrifloonEmpire DrifloonEmpire
Speaking of Louie, here's an entire moveset I did for the Titan Dweevil:
Jab/Tilts
Jab:
TD swipes his claws several times before kicking with his leg.

S-Tilt:
TD headbutts the opponent

U-Tilt:
TD quickly extends his legs and swipes upwards.

D-Tilt:
TD stomps his legs downwards burying said opponent.

Dash Attack:
TD slides forward by firing his Monster Pump, Comedy Bomb and Flare Cannon backwards.

Smash Attacks
Side Smash:
TD headbutts the opponent very hard.

Up Smash:
TD flips upside-down and jabs his legs upwards.

Down Smash:
TD unleashes a jolt from the Shock Therapist on the ground, it gets bigger the longer its held.

Aerials
N-Air:
Releases a cloud of poison from the Comedy Bomb that holds him in the air for a second and dissipates after a few seconds.

F-Air:
Fires a forward blast from his Shock Therapist.

B-Air:
Fires a backward blast from his Monster Pump.

U-Air:
Does several jabs with his claws.

D-Air:
Spirals downward while firing his Flare Cannon.

Grab/Throws
Grab:
Grabs the opponent with his claw.

Dash:
Lunges at the opponent.

Pummel:
Crushes/squeezes them with his claws.

Up:
Tosses the foe up and sends him/her higher with his Monster Pump.

Forwards:
Burns the foe with his Flare Cannon.

Backwards:
Blows the foe with his Monster Pump.

Down: Slams the foes under him and electrocutes them with his Shock Therapist.

Specials
Neutral:
Flare Cannon

If the button is tapped he fires a fireball (about the size of a half charged Super Scope), if held he lets out a stream of fire (slightly longer then Bowser's), during witch he can walk back and forth but cannot jump, it also lengthens when he walks backward and shortens when walking forward.

Side:
Monster Pump

If the button is tapped he fires a water blast, if held he charges, turning a blue-ish tint that turns from slightly noticeable to a deep sapphire, when released lets out a quick, pushing burst (like Mario's F.L.U.D.D.) that gets stronger and pushes harder the longer its charged.

Up:
Comedy Bomb

If tapped the Comedy Bomb releases a short burst that slowly begins to float upward disappearing as it goes (the burst does flinch damage when first released and non-flinching while floating), if held it does trapping, flinching damage, if the opponent is in it long enough they get a Lip's Stick style damage effect, if used mid-air it release not a burst but a stream that launches you into the air.

Down:
Shock Therapist

He releases 6 electric nodes around him and launches electricity through them, the longer the button is held he turns from a light yellow tint to a dark gold the longer its held the farther away they are, the more spread out they are, and the longer the jolt lasts.

Final Smash
Fury of the Dweevil

TD charges forwards ramming into the opponent taking them to a cutscene as him/her lands into Dream Den and sees the Dweevil looming above them as he screeches and stomps on the opponent impaling with his legs before grabing them and slams into the wall punching them brutally as he throws them onto the ground attacking them some more, then unleashing his 4 weapons at the same time ending in a gigantic explosion of water/fire/electric/poison, the opponent is launched to the blast zone.

Idle Animations
1. Titan Dweevil lets out a screech.
2. Titan Dweevil gets out one of his weapons checking on them.

Taunts
1. TD waves his weapons around threateningly.
2. TD stomps several times.
3. TD goes into the ground before rising out. (Like Snake's Box.)

Victory Poses
1. Rises out of the ground one leg after another.
2. Cycles between his 4 weapons.
3. Stomps his legs and snapping claws roaring manically.

Kirby Hat
Kirby wears a beanie that resembles the Dweevil itself. (complete with legs and claws.)

Stage Entrance
Titan Dweevil rises out of the ground letting out a screech.

Boxing Ring Title
"Ruler of Dream Den"

Home Stage
413px-Template thing (2).jpg

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Whelp, I've gone and done it again... I've made a FOURTH Louie moveset lol. I figured that with all the different ones I've done, I haven't actually done a real 1-1 representation of Louie's King of Bugs form, as he only is ever really shown controlling the Titan Dweevil and no other insect enemies. So that's what lead me to make this:

Louie (King of Bugs 2) Moveset.jpg

As usual, here's a link to the image on Flickr, as some of the text is too hard to read just from here on Smashboards: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/50073017442/in/dateposted-public/

Also I understand that this one is a bit more messy compared to my others. I hadn't quite planned out where to put the text as well as some of my others. I may be a bit rusty on the drawn moveset side of things, lol.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Glad to have you aboard! Though why Brittany in particular?
she's adorable! and if a game has a female MC option i usually prefer that. like her personality too, esp the homesickness. i can relate c:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
she's adorable! and if a game has a female MC option i usually prefer that. like her personality too, esp the homesickness. i can relate c:
No worries, was just curious! and I agree! :3 I've just noticed that most of Pikmin fans prefer Louie as the next rep so I was curious as to why you chose Brittany instead xD If anything, she'd make a good Alph-esque alt for Louie (if he ends up with a more Olimar-esque moveset), since they both have a connection to food. Plus that would be 4/6 captains represented!

Meanwhile, I STILL find it bizarre that The President doesn't have a spirit...

R O F L

Smash Ace
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a thing now.
Pretty sure it means nothing regarding any Pikmin content in Smash.

The new multiplayer stuff and piklopedia look neat, but nothing i'd pay 60 dollars for considering I already own the original game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is a thing now.
Pretty sure it means nothing regarding any Pikmin content in Smash.

The new multiplayer stuff and piklopedia look neat, but nothing i'd pay 60 dollars for considering I already own the original game.
I am a little disappointed about Pikmin 3 Deluxe. I wish it was Pikmin Trilogy. Make it still worth $60. I wish Nintendo would stop porting all their Wii U games to Switch.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So what is the content for the Pikmin 3 Deluxe demo? Is there any content from the Olimar/Louie missions or is it just the main campaign?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Just played through the full Demo, the campaign is playable up to the defeat of the Armored Mawdad, and some missions from the original game are available. The Olimar and Louie content is still locked to the full version.

R O F L

Smash Ace
I never thought I'd say this, but Pikmin now has confusing lore and plot holes galore.

Also the Hocotate Ship is alive. They reversed the saddest pikmin death.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I never thought I'd say this, but Pikmin now has confusing lore and plot holes galore.

Also the Hocotate Ship is alive. They reversed the saddest pikmin death.
And honestly I'm glad!!! Is this in the side stories or a retcon to the main campaign?
Here's hoping the game releases at midnight!

Also your new avatar's adorable!

R O F L

Smash Ace
And honestly I'm glad!!! Is this in the side stories or a retcon to the main campaign?
Here's hoping the game releases at midnight!

Also your new avatar's adorable!
It's all from the side missions, and pretty much just from the epilogue. As far as I'm aware they haven't changed any of the story or dialogue from the main campaign.
I do like that they're adding more to the Pikmin lore, but I really do hope they clear some of this stuff up.

Apparently, the opening cutscene to the epilogue side mission confirms the existence of the S. S. Dolphin 2, confirming Hey! Pikmin as canon. However, the epilogue takes place directly after Pikmin 3, and since Hey! Pikmin is presumed to happen after Pikmin 3 due to the Winged and Rock Pikmin instantly recognizing Olimar and the fact that Olimar isn't using the S. S. Dolphin or the Hocotate Ship, leaving no room for Hey! Pikmin in a timeline despite it being presumed canon. This is further supported by the Hocotate Ship, which they retrieve and use instead of the S. S. Dolphin 2.

The game still continues to disregard that the second part of Pikmin 2 ever happened. The Hocotate ship has no reference to being gold and Olimar mentions that the epilogue side mission is the fourth time he's been on PNF-404, which should be five counting the two times Olimar left PNF-404 during Pikmin 2, or 6 if the planet in Hey! Pikmin was actually PNF-404. I'm assuming Pikmin 3 happens after a "bad ending" of Pikmin 2 where the debt isn't completed and they don't come back a second time.

The ending of Pikmin 3, which is still in deluxe, notes that Louie was left behind when the Koppites and Olimar left PNF-404. However, Louie is somehow with Olimar at the beginning of the epilogue. They seem to have just decided to do nothing with that idea and just scrapped it. Outside of this everything in Pikmin 3 itself connects together, just not with the other game in the series.

There's also some new stuff regarding the Plasm Wraith in the epilogue. I didn't see though, I don't want to spoil myself too much.
I also haven't seen any of the Piklopedia entries yet. There will probably be some oversights there.

Some of this stuff already existed when Pikmin 3 first released, but they just made it a lot more confusing.

Also Hocotate Ship best mechanical video game character.

Also thanks! Pheromosa is one of my favorite Pokemon.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The game still continues to disregard that the second part of Pikmin 2 ever happened. The Hocotate ship has no reference to being gold and Olimar mentions that the epilogue side mission is the fourth time he's been on PNF-404, which should be five counting the two times Olimar left PNF-404 during Pikmin 2, or 6 if the planet in Hey! Pikmin was actually PNF-404. I'm assuming Pikmin 3 happens after a "bad ending" of Pikmin 2 where the debt isn't completed and they don't come back a second time.
"The last time I visited this planet, I brought back so much treasure that it freed my employer from debt" - Olimar's Journal Vol. 2 #1
Looks like they did indeed canonically pay off the debt!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Haven't been a Pikmin fan before this as the very idea of a RTS with lots of organising and management put me off but since it had a demo I thought I'd give it a go.

I played that demo like five times and have never quickly pre-ordered something in my life(aside from 3D Collection as I knew that'd sell out). I am now impatiently waiting for my copy to arrive in the post today because I am desperate to play Pikmin.

That (surprisingly meaty) demo was a great idea, I hope it convinced others like me to give the series a fair chance.

R O F L

Smash Ace
"The last time I visited this planet, I brought back so much treasure that it freed my employer from debt" - Olimar's Journal Vol. 2 #1
Looks like they did indeed canonically pay off the debt!
Nice. So Pikmin 3 must've happened sometime after they returned to Hocotate after they completed the debt.
Either that, or when Olimar and Louie and on Pikmin 3 at the beginning of the game and in the prologue is actually the second half of Pikmin 2. That would mean that the Titan Dweevil never happened, though.

They must really not be a fan of having Louie left behind.
Seems like every time it happens, they pretend it never occurred in the next game, lol.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So I just beat the story campaign and my first Pikmin game!

I had a lot of fun with it, and definitely will be trying to do a 'no death' run at some point.

The game's ending took me by surprise if I'm honest.

About 7 hours in and it just suddenly...ended. I'm not sure why I was expecting it to last a month or so but after saving Olimar, it really just straight up ended immedietly. I'd heard the game was short, but WOW is it short even compared to other Nintendo 'short' titles like Captain Toad and Luigi's Mansion 3. Of course this is ONLY the story mode, I haven't played the side missions, collected literally everything yet or done the challenges so that should boost it up a little more.

Overall that's the biggest flaw of this game in my eyes. I really started to get invested and now I'm feeling hungry for more.

The game is an absolute blast in co-op though, and I'd recommend veterans possibly trying this out since it's a very different experience between solo and co-op play. Me and my partner became positively addicted to it, but like me she was disappointed it ended so soon.

Also side note; I hear Captain Charlie has different dialogue depending on whether you do English(USA) or English(UK). Since I'm in the UK, we have Charlie smitten with Brittany commenting about how she was the only face he could think of when he was trapped, whilst apparently those in America will having him state his own face was all he could imagine, painting him in a more dimwitted way.

Anyone know what the dialogue is in the original Japanese?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I'm happy to hear that you had tons of fun with the game! :3 It always makes me happy to see someone new getting into the series!!!
3 is pretty short admittingly, though it's a little meatier if you go and collect every fruit. The timed challenges are fun but not everyone's cup of tea (I don't play them often), but it has tons of unique maps so it's worth exploring! The Side Stories are also very fun when you get to the epilogue, though they have a bit more impact if you've played 1 and 2.

Either way, Pikmin 3 has a lot of replayability, so doing different kinds of runs is something you should definitely try! If you can, I'd also highly reccomend the first two games if you're hungry for more Pikmin as well, especially 2 since the caves add a lot of extra meat to the campaign!

Also side note; I hear Captain Charlie has different dialogue depending on whether you do English(USA) or English(UK). Since I'm in the UK, we have Charlie smitten with Brittany commenting about how she was the only face he could think of when he was trapped, whilst apparently those in America will having him state his own face was all he could imagine, painting him in a more dimwitted way.
His dialogue was changed in the North American release from the flirtatious dialogue (some rule in regards to that kind of romance in a kids game) to his rather amusing boastful statements. Though fans usually characterize him as a mix between the two, rather boastful and full of himself and having quite an interest in Brittany, but also caring deeply about his crew and their safety, setting a good example, and wanting to see them grow and succeed!

Top Bottom