• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General newcomer tips for me?

Ferb

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! This is my first smashboards thread and I just have some questions. I looked through all the sections and this seemed to be the most appropriate place to put this thread.

I've watched at this point maybe 100+ hours of melee on youtube. It's a super awesome game. My favorite players are probably n0ne, plup, leffen, and m2k.

I've also gotten really good at this game called Brawlhalla. It's pretty trash compared to melee. There's not too many cool combos. I'm top 200 in the world in it but it's not fun anymore, which is why I want to play melee.

So, here's my questions:

1. Best controller to get/where to get it?

I watched some of Zenith SSBM's tutorials on youtube and I've gathered that I shouldn't get 3rd party controllers, and I should use e-bay. I've also heard that white gamecube controllers are the best, but I don't think I should be worrying about those kind of details when I still haven't actually touched the game. Would getting, say, a black gamecube controller from here be good?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18variatio...roller-Emerald-Blue-Orange-White/122872453345

2. Will this setup work?

Before getting my stuff I just want to know if you can run melee perfectly by:

Acquiring standard nintendo official gamecube controller.
Using Zenith SSBM's recommended mayflash gamecube controller adapter and plugging into my pretty good laptop
running a melee iso via dolphin and playing. (netplay and normal)

I'm almost out of high school atm, and I'll be going to the university of pittsburgh and I can get involved in the pittsburgh scene.

Sorry for the long read, I just wanted some help to make sure i don't waste money. I watched Genesis 5 and GOML 2018 almost completely and I'm super into this. Thanks guys :)

Edit: The reason I haven't been able to get a gamecube controller even after watching sooo much melee is because my dad is very strict about video games. But because the school year's almost finished and I've gotten really good grades he's ok with it.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I may not be much of a Melee dude, but from the looks of it you’re set to go.

1. As for the GameCube controller. Don’t worry about the color of the controller, they’ll all function the same. Also, the other details of the seller indicate that the controller you’re buying is fully functional.

2. As for the set up. The set up you’re using is fine, just make sure that you’re labtop can run Melee at 60 frames per second (FPS), both off and online. If it can’t, your going to notice some gameplay differences and it will be harder to do combos and move around. (Depending on how low the FPS is).

Just a side note that there might be some slight input lag compared to playing the game on a GameCube and CRT. Not really a large difference to mess you up, but some combos might be slighter harder to do when playing on a computer.

Hope you have fun!

EDIT: Added in some things to make it easier to understand.

Last edited:

Perhael

Smash Rookie
Lose until you stop losing. I'm still in the first half of that, mind you. It's the second bit that's the hard part.

Thwallace

Smash Rookie
you look pretttty good. Make sure that your laptop can run melee at 60 fps. Melee is hard at first, but it is really fun. Make sure to have fun with melee. If you ever want to practice tech like l cancelling and such, you can use the 20xx training hackpack. There should be a thread in smashboards for it. Most of all, have fun!

Ferb

Smash Rookie
Thank you guys! Controller coming in soon. I watched all of SnS and also nabbed a 20xx iso :]

Top Bottom