• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Mafia theory discussion

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
More extreme version of the adrenaline dayvig from MP2. Way too high risk of a shot for not enough of a reward.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

Oriwa Rake. Kaizo ko ni oriwa naru
Now i'm thinking i need to make about 12 / 14 roles for the big DGames names and run a set-up for it called : Rake's D-Games Stars Mafia Game.

Hmm who should I do next and I'm going to need fancy pictures like the one Soup had.

Hmmm.

Maybe :

th3kuzinator: some cool mafia powers
zen: amazing town powers
J : probably an indy role with some sort of restriction making you use dahlia gifs
Ryker: another indy most likely.

anyone got any ideas for people that could be cool to make a role based on ?

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
Now i'm thinking i need to make about 12 / 14 roles for the big DGames names and run a set-up for it called : Rake's D-Games Stars Mafia Game.

Hmm who should I do next and I'm going to need fancy pictures like the one Soup had.

Hmmm.

Maybe :

th3kuzinator: some cool mafia powers
zen: amazing town powers
J : probably an indy role with some sort of restriction making you use A.t.E
Ryker: another indy most likely.

anyone got any ideas for people that could be cool to make a role based on ?
WashedLaundry-Mafia Plant :cool:

Any restriction forcing you to use AtE is bad and shouldn't be used. It's making a player purposely play out of their comfort zone to use something that can be construed negatively and possibly get them lynched. If you wanted a J restricion, Dahlia .gifs all the way.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Dahlia gifs would be too easy to determine it was me. Imo, should be "make at least one post during the day that is larger than anyone's post about must be larger than 600+ words."

Then again Indy would be cool haha. Though I've only been indy like once. Towny is where my heart lies.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

I could make you a town role.

Maybe with some sort of boss power that would only slightly break the town side.

Maybe something like if you do an enormous wall like that with nothing but relevant info and you get a lycnh of scum outta it you get one night only NK immunity ?

Or maybe a one shot vig ?

What sort of power would you want to have as town J ? Maybe a double vote next dayPhase ?

Plus if i could get Marshy in here to comment on his role that would be boss.

If i am going to run this though I'll need player permission from everyone who I make a role based on and they'll have to have creative input on it since it's their role lol.

But it would be a balanced game. Putting a role like marshy in would mean i'd need a mafia roleblocker / mafia member who can move PR's around most likely

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
rake keep in mind that os and rockin both are making games using people from the playerbase. i also dunno why youd publicly speak about the setup

love the role soup but you have a comma in my quote and i dont use then

/brofist

:phone:

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

rake keep in mind that os and rockin both are making games using people from the playerbase. i also dunno why youd publicly speak about the setup

love the role soup but you have a comma in my quote and i dont use then

/brofist

yeah,xonar told me in the social about that. I figure let those 2 do their's first (they have a much better understanding of the community and players than I do). I'm going to gain experience and idea storm till then.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Most people have **** logic on this site though.

Hydras themselves are a tricky beast. I don't think they're broken or ridiculous though because the only way a hydra actually improves two players is when those two players synergize well. I can hydra with Ryker and Gorf really well because I work with them really well. I can't hydra with someone like marshy because we approach the game so differently that we'd spend half the game tripping over each other. There was a brief period where anyone would hydra with anyone, now you tend to see a lot of the familiar hydras over and over again (AM, Lego*******es, No Lynch, RadFic, Marshmellowman will probably become a mainstay).

How they impact gameplay depends on how good of a hydra they are. Good hydras will tear a game apart (Chuckie!). Bad ones will continue to trip over themselves and poor decision-making cased by confusion within the hydra can distract town pretty well. Doesn't mean they're unstoppable or ridiculous like anyone makes them out to be.
this post got me thinking

what do you guys think of hydraing with someone you think vastly different from yet still consider effective? hydraing with bronike is an example of this for me and we did alright and i found it fun to consistently reevaluate ourselves in private communication (hmm. you REALLY think that?). compare this with me hydraing with macman (someone i think similarly to and "synergize well" with like laundry said) and we just kind of saw it as pointless at times agreeing each other all the time and mostly ended up just motivating each other to push through a game we each got bored of at several points

Make it Rain!

Xonar|WashedLaundry
The problem you run into is heads disagreeing and that can be really, really bad. Sure, if you guys communicate and don't argue about it, it could work out, but then something the other head said could potentially make you skip out on a correct read here or there and that can seriously impact the flow of the game, especially for someone like you, marshy. That's a best case scenario. The worst case is when the two heads disagree on a lot and argue it out with each other, to the point where the hydra does little because it can't even get its own **** together. I think one of AM's worst games happened because I just started doing whatever I felt like instead of playing off of the stuff Ryker was doing and he didn't want to play off what I was doing.

But you're right about the pointless parts. You should have a head willing to shut you up and disagree with you from time to time. Ryker and I do this to each other from time to time to try to push **** down the door. Xonar and I argue **** out from time to time as well. Like, it can't be a head that'll just agree with you all the time. I've had hydras like this that worked, to an extent, but a lot of the time it was just "Yes, Laundry, I agree with you" and left it up to usually what I wanted to do. During the day phase, that's fine, but my night action choices are often sporadic and reactionary and I really need a player to double-check what I'm doing with my action. Ryker is a night action king and that's why he works so well with me--I put a check on what he's doing in the day phase and he puts a check on the night phase actions.

Like, I tend to hydra when I know I won't have the activity/encouragement to get into a game on my own. I also do it for enjoyment but it's usually the former now (Real life is a *****, by the by).

Rajam

Smash Champion
I've heard that among the setups with only vanilla roles, 9 town vs 2 mafia (starting with Day Phase) is ballanced. Why is that? game theory, maths, results' experience... ¿?

I made some maths and found out that, with a random-lynching strategy, town has a ~ 35,21% chance of winning in a 9 vs 2 only-vanillas game... Since, with only vanillas, there isn't room for deeper strategies (like follow-the-cop or stuff like that), random-lynching should be the most similar thing to what actually happens in an only-vanillas game imo, and therefore I would expect a more 50% - 50% winning odds for each faction; ~ 35% chance seems a little too low, and that leads back to my original question...

Make it Rain!

Xonar|WashedLaundry
It's not actually balanced, and whoever told you that lied to you. Mafia start out with an inherent advantage through information (they know the scum team!) and the ability to communicate said information with one another without any potential repercussion from sharing such information in a public manner. If they don't screw up and out themselves, chances are, they'll win.

Hence why PRs are necessary: they're a way to get mod-confirmed information that helps your alignment down the road.

Shun Goku Satsu Rake

I've always thought of cop as a double edged sword in an open set up sense, if the cop doesn't know who to track and town mislynches D1, it becomes sort of a balance because the cop just has to WIFOM who he uses the ability and hope to get lucky.

By that same note though, if the cop is already leading the town and decimates the entire scum team, then I can see why people wouldn't like the cop.

wrt playing a good game as scum, I feel like after all that hard work just to be given a shot to the gonads by a lucky copping would be hella annoying

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Real talk though, cop strengthens a player's reads, but even the possibility of a godfather or miller makes his results no longer absolute meaning it must be supported by reading players.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I feel like getting shot in the gonads is like getting shot in the gonads. If I'm town and scum shoot me because the doc prioritized Ryker/EE/Swiss/Marshy and they knew they could get that shot, that's pretty ****ing unfair, right?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I feel like getting shot in the gonads is like getting shot in the gonads. If I'm town and scum shoot me because the doc prioritized Ryker/EE/Swiss/Marshy and they knew they could get that shot, that's pretty ****ing unfair, right?
No, that's exactly how the game is designed to work.

:059:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Nope I didn't, which is why I worded my post exactly the way I meant to word it.

:059:

Top Bottom