• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Legend of Zelda Rep Support Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Blaming FE for Sakurai's apparent indifference towards LOZ again? Sigh.
nobody's blaming FE, we're saying sakurai is bias towards FE, not the same thing

I agree with the poster above, it's not Fire Emblem's fault that we haven't seen a Zelda newcomer for so long. Fire Emblem gets a new protagonist every new game, with new abilities and all. Zelda gets the same cast, but reincarnated in a new skin, with more or less the same abilities. This is a major obstacle for getting a Zelda newcomer, and a major boon to Fire Emblem.
thats a bit of a logical fallacy, just cause FE gets new characters all the time does not mean they have to have a new character. also what say about zelda could also apply to the mario series, yet so far theres only been one smash game that didnt introduce at least 2 mario newcomers

UserKev

Smash Champion
No one's definitely blaming Fire Emblem. Its just annoying how much attention Fire Emblem has gotten.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would LOVE a new Zelda rep.
I've always leaned to Skull Kid, but Impa is also another excellent choice.
These where my choices as well. Even if I would also be very happy with inclusions of Ganon (especially after the boss fight in World of Light) and a Champion from BotW, mainly Daruk or Urbosa.

Actually, I have no very strict preference after Impa.

Ricksaw

Smash Cadet
I will support this board, i want midna in smash, but not imp midna because she is already represented as an assist trophy and spirit; i want her in human form, cause she is not represented in any form.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In these times, t'is important to keep our heads.

I would choose Mipha to be gone out of them. I know she has a lot of fans, but she never really stuck with me that much. Her romance with Link also felt weird to me.

Out of the Champions I would choose Urbosa to be playable however. Think she would have a lot to offer. Daruk would be next in line for me.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Urbosa is my most wanted not-AT rep for LOZ at the moment. I'd love a trailer with her appearing to help Link fight against Ganondorf, saying "I'll show you how a real Gerudo Warrior fights" and then it cuts to her splash screen.

D

Deleted member

Skull Kid can he get on please?

Would be fun with what he could do dark magic and using the Majora's Mask to attack!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So, both Impa AND Skull Kid are playable in a Zelda game once again, Cadence of Hyrule, no less.

Love the fact that there will seemingly be a physical release for the game and its DLC, too.
OHHH WAIT WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY!?

I totally missed this!! Time to bump up the Impa thread too :D

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Skull Kid getting his own adventure has convinced me to get Cadence of Hyrule. That was seriously hype for me

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The moment we have been waiting for years is here folks:

This is a magical moment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The moment we have been waiting for years is here folks:

This is a magical moment.
So I was expecting BotW2 news with that tagline honestly lol

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm all for a new Zelda character (and honestly feel we should have gotten new species this whole time). At this point it just feels impossible- the new character, likely, would riff off of what we already have, and seem more humanoid than of the other species. I would love to have a Goron, a Deku, a Zora, a Rito... I just don't think it's possible from this point.

The best I can hope is that we would get Vaati playable- for more unique style, with three echoes-
A Skull Kid echo for Vaati
An Impa echo for Sheik
A Tetra echo for Toon Link
A Pig Ganon echo for Ganondorf

I want the world of Hyrule to feel expanded in Smash- it feels quite small.
Hell, maybe we just need a new Zelda centric item that collects the triforce, and summons a Champion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm all for a new Zelda character (and honestly feel we should have gotten new species this whole time). At this point it just feels impossible- the new character, likely, would riff off of what we already have, and seem more humanoid than of the other species. I would love to have a Goron, a Deku, a Zora, a Rito... I just don't think it's possible from this point.

The best I can hope is that we would get Vaati playable- for more unique style, with three echoes-
A Skull Kid echo for Vaati
An Impa echo for Sheik
A Tetra echo for Toon Link
A Pig Ganon echo for Ganondorf

I want the world of Hyrule to feel expanded in Smash- it feels quite small.
Hell, maybe we just need a new Zelda centric item that collects the triforce, and summons a Champion.
Zelda in general needs to expand it's mainstays outside of just Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf) with the occasional Impa who's sometimes a badass ninja and sometimes an old fragile lady. If they could give Impa more story heavy roles as she had in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, I think it would cement her role for Smash Bros., quite easily so even. Just make her use the naginata as her main weapon, and give her other distinct abilities and she's good.

Midna also would've been a great pick, only thing they needed to do was give her a second role. A sequel to Twilight Princess wouldn't have been a bad choice. They've done it for Ocarina of Time, wanted to do it for Wind Waker, and are doing it now with BotW2. But she missed her role.

Skull Kid also needs just ONE more prominent role to make him a Zelda franchise mainstay. I feel like he missed out in BotW as well, with the Deku Forest being back and all, would be ideal to have Skull Kid appear yet again. Seeing as Zelda games often start in a forest area, you'd think they would've found a way to implement Skull Kid in the stories yet again... But no. Then again, we just had a whole game with heavy Sheikah thematics, and Impa had a very forgetful role in that one.

I think this is the biggest issue with Zelda and playability in Smash Bros. Not even Ganondorf is a steady returning character as of late. Without remakes, his last role was Twilight Princess. Yes Hyrule Warriors too, but Smash totally forgot that game exists. It's great Ganondorf is seemingly back in BotW2, but he might miss out the next 10 games for it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Zelda in general needs to expand it's mainstays outside of just Link, Zelda and Ganon(dorf) with the occasional Impa who's sometimes a badass ninja and sometimes an old fragile lady. If they could give Impa more story heavy roles as she had in Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword, I think it would cement her role for Smash Bros., quite easily so even. Just make her use the naginata as her main weapon, and give her other distinct abilities and she's good.

Midna also would've been a great pick, only thing they needed to do was give her a second role. A sequel to Twilight Princess wouldn't have been a bad choice. They've done it for Ocarina of Time, wanted to do it for Wind Waker, and are doing it now with BotW2. But she missed her role.

Skull Kid also needs just ONE more prominent role to make him a Zelda franchise mainstay. I feel like he missed out in BotW as well, with the Deku Forest being back and all, would be ideal to have Skull Kid appear yet again. Seeing as Zelda games often start in a forest area, you'd think they would've found a way to implement Skull Kid in the stories yet again... But no. Then again, we just had a whole game with heavy Sheikah thematics, and Impa had a very forgetful role in that one.

I think this is the biggest issue with Zelda and playability in Smash Bros. Not even Ganondorf is a steady returning character as of late. Without remakes, his last role was Twilight Princess. Yes Hyrule Warriors too, but Smash totally forgot that game exists. It's great Ganondorf is seemingly back in BotW2, but he might miss out the next 10 games for it.
That all may be true... but for me, I still think part of what is missing from Zelda in Smash, is the unique races. If Impa were given a huge role in BotW, and made it into Smash, I would still feel this way. Even the one off characters I listed- Midna, Vaati, Skull Kid... are just that, one off characters. The majesty of the world that is created in Hyrule is simply lost in Smash Bros. It's similar to the Fire Emblem problem- only significantly more heightened. The overall representation is not worth more than the individual pieces.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
That all may be true... but for me, I still think part of what is missing from Zelda in Smash, is the unique races. If Impa were given a huge role in BotW, and made it into Smash, I would still feel this way. Even the one off characters I listed- Midna, Vaati, Skull Kid... are just that, one off characters. The majesty of the world that is created in Hyrule is simply lost in Smash Bros. It's similar to the Fire Emblem problem- only significantly more heightened. The overall representation is not worth more than the individual pieces.
I disagree with that. There is no room in Smash for every aspect of a serie as large as Zelda. The playable characters spots are precious, so they should go to actual, important characters (looking at you, Piranha Plant!), either recurring or important to one game so that they represent this game. Skull Kid and Midna embody Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess far better than any goron or zora. That being said, I sign right now for a stage like Death Mountain or Zora Domain with members of theses species in the background. In the end this role would perfectly fit the one they have in the Zelda serie: extras, walk-on actors. Darunia/Daruk/Mipha/Ruto/Revali/Urbosa could also be assists, but those are not many, and it would be wierd to have one without the others.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I disagree with that. There is no room in Smash for every aspect of a serie as large as Zelda. The playable characters spots are precious, so they should go to actual, important characters (looking at you, Piranha Plant!), either recurring or important to one game so that they represent this game. Skull Kid and Midna embody Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess far better than any goron or zora. That being said, I sign right now for a stage like Death Mountain or Zora Domain with members of theses species in the background. In the end this role would perfectly fit the one they have in the Zelda serie: extras, walk-on actors. Darunia/Daruk/Mipha/Ruto/Revali/Urbosa could also be assists, but those are not many, and it would be wierd to have one without the others.
I dont feel we should have random enemies from Zelda in Smash as playable characters. Yet, I do feel without these characters having a good role in Smash, the color of Hyrule is faded.

Donkey Kong is actually similar. I would feel we had much more of his world in Smash, if we had animal buddies that could be ridden. It would be a unique item mechanic, or even a single stage mechanic- and it would imbibe the Smash world with the essence DK much better.
I just wish Sakurai put more into some of these other aspects. He is a creative genius.... I just want the worlds fleshed out for some of the bigger series. I truly don't know why we don't have the Champions as assist trophies. And hell, I would have preferred if Link were changed to have his specials match the Champions, as well.

Up special- Revali's Gale; Leap up with a hover fall
Side special- Urbosa's Fury; The longer held, the farther the semi dome reaches.
Standard Special- Mipha's Grace; a one time healing move of 50%
Down Special- Daruk's Protection; Block one incoming attack.
Final Smash: the Beasts all attack

Now... of course this didnt happen. And I dont really understand why we only got the bombs changed. It was a half step.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I dont feel we should have random enemies from Zelda in Smash as playable characters. Yet, I do feel without these characters having a good role in Smash, the color of Hyrule is faded.

Donkey Kong is actually similar. I would feel we had much more of his world in Smash, if we had animal buddies that could be ridden. It would be a unique item mechanic, or even a single stage mechanic- and it would imbibe the Smash world with the essence DK much better.
I just wish Sakurai put more into some of these other aspects. He is a creative genius.... I just want the worlds fleshed out for some of the bigger series. I truly don't know why we don't have the Champions as assist trophies. And hell, I would have preferred if Link were changed to have his specials match the Champions, as well.

Up special- Revali's Gale; Leap up with a hover fall
Side special- Urbosa's Fury; The longer held, the farther the semi dome reaches.
Standard Special- Mipha's Grace; a one time healing move of 50%
Down Special- Daruk's Protection; Block one incoming attack.
Final Smash: the Beasts all attack

Now... of course this didnt happen. And I dont really understand why we only got the bombs changed. It was a half step.
On the DK aspect, I totally follow you. Rambi should be an assist.

One champion as an assist and not the others would be very arbitrary though, and four assists dedicated to only one game would be overkill. Maybe a guardian assist?

And I would have loved a full ''Wild Link'' too. It really feels half backed.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I truly don't know why we don't have the Champions as assist trophies.
Maybe because Sakurai was playing a early build of Breath of the Wild and the Champions either didn't exist yet in game or he didn't have enough to go off of yet to make one of them a Assist Trophy in Ultimate. Yes, he added Breath of the Wild Link in but other characters in a early build of Breath of Wild like I said were either more underdeveloped at the point or did exist in game yet.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
A Champion would probably be a given if Ultimate followed the way newcomers where added the way Smash 4 did it. Not sure whom they'd choose however, but a slight preference towards Urbosa, the Gerudo Champion. Mostly cause she's basically a Gerudo version of what Impa should've been, with lightning powers and a scimitar and shield of course. Daruk would be my second choice because Gorons in general are very well known, are in just about any Zelda game, and his abilities and heavy weight status would have made him interesting.

But I don't agree that we desperately need the races of Hyrule represented. And if you'd want such a character, Young Link based on Majora's Mask would be ideal. But I doubt that will ever happen because, well, look at Young Link in Ultimate. It's clear they didn't wanna change him too much. So I doubt they ever would.

Honestly I only see Impa as a logical pick for a newcomer.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Quite frankly, I think if we get a new Zelda character, it might be a Lionel.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
might i ask why you think that?
It may be the most unique Zelda element we could get, that is completely new to Smash.
I'd also argue that the Lionel was the breakout star of BotW, being the truly terrifying villains to run into.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A Champion would probably be a given if Ultimate followed the way newcomers where added the way Smash 4 did it. Not sure whom they'd choose however, but a slight preference towards Urbosa, the Gerudo Champion. Mostly cause she's basically a Gerudo version of what Impa should've been, with lightning powers and a scimitar and shield of course. Daruk would be my second choice because Gorons in general are very well known, are in just about any Zelda game, and his abilities and heavy weight status would have made him interesting.

But I don't agree that we desperately need the races of Hyrule represented. And if you'd want such a character, Young Link based on Majora's Mask would be ideal. But I doubt that will ever happen because, well, look at Young Link in Ultimate. It's clear they didn't wanna change him too much. So I doubt they ever would.

Honestly I only see Impa as a logical pick for a newcomer.
I would choose Urbosa too. But really though, which Champion would they choose? I think they would go with the most popular like how they did with Min Min with Arms. Isn't Mipha the most popular Champion?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It may be the most unique Zelda element we could get, that is completely new to Smash.
I'd also argue that the Lionel was the breakout star of BotW, being the truly terrifying villains to run into.
I imagine a lynel star quality is debatable. But the uniqueness cannot be denied

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Quite frankly, I think if we get a new Zelda character, it might be a Lionel.
It would be a nice idea. I do hope the Lynels return as enemies in Zelda. They where awesome to fight in Breath of the Wild. A thrilling fight, every time. But I'd first wanna see them return to Zelda. Which is kinda likely with BotW2.

I would choose Urbosa too. But really though, which Champion would they choose? I think they would go with the most popular like how they did with Min Min with Arms. Isn't Mipha the most popular Champion?
Maybe? Not too sure. Urbosa also has good popularity. And her ability is most offensively based. She's also the only true human of the Champions , outside of Link. Kind of makes it easier for her to work a moveset with. But personally, I'd think Daruk would be the most unique. There's a lot you could do with the big guy.

And I'll say it again, Impa should've been the Sheikah Champion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It would be a nice idea. I do hope the Lynels return as enemies in Zelda. They where awesome to fight in Breath of the Wild. A thrilling fight, every time. But I'd first wanna see them return to Zelda. Which is kinda likely with BotW2.
they were certainly tougher than in the oracles

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
they were certainly tougher than in the oracles
Haven't played both Oracle games till the end. It's a shame. Don't have a pc anymore either to play it on emulator either.
It's weird the Sheikah didn't have a Champion. They're a important race in Zelda too so they deserve one.
Well yes, that's what I thought. Impa was still around with the Champions however , and texts in game also suggest she fought in the war of the Great Calamity. So she had fighting abilities , at some point before the beginning of the game. And we never even see her in cutscenes or whatever.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I suppose this series reminds me of why I would love a Smash reboot... Impa being a second Sheikah would overpopulate the Sheikah for the roster, in my opinion--- but a reboot could allow five solid Zelda characters.

Top Bottom