• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Legend of Zelda Rep Support Thread

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I finished Twilight Princess. Great game imo, felt like I enjoyed it as much as the other Zelda games I've played.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this here or not, but I also finished Minish Cap a couple or so weeks ago. Ezlo and Vaati are cool, too.

dang though, Midna seemed like she was about to tell Link somethin' special, but decided their worlds should stay separate. That poor green dude; the anguish on his face when he saw what she was doing says it all.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
I just got the Champions Amiibo pack yesterday and now I'm hungry for a Hyrule Warriors 2 at the very least with them in.

For Smash? I think it'd be hard to pick a particular champion over the others. Who's the most popular of them? I want to say Urbosa but she's the champion that offers the least variety moveset wise being a sword and shield user with Pikachu's thunder thrown in.
I personally think Mipha would be the best choice, because of a few reasons. For one, she seems like at least second most popular, (whether Urbosa is more popular than her or not, idk.) but Sidon is one of the fan-favorite characters of the game as a whole, and he could be referenced in Mipha's moveset. Also, Smash is currently VERY lacking in three of the niches that Mipha fills: Long range melee weapons, (she has a trident, the only other characters that fill this niche are KINDA Belmonts and KINDA Corrin.) water-based attacks, (squirtle/greninja and mario's down b is all we have really.) and healing. There are a number of characters with one move that can heal if it hits, but none of them are primarily used for healing, and none of them heal any decent amount. Mipha would be perfect for this, because she could have a move dedicated to Mipha's grace.

I wrote a moveset for her a page or so back, shameless plug.

Urbosa could definitely be unique too, though. She's got a scimitar, which isn't exactly a long sword like other swordies have, as well as a shield. The only characters with a sword AND shield are primarily zoners (hero/links) so a swordie with a shield and little to no projectile game would fit a really unique niche I think.

Daruk would be fantastic too, since we have surprisingly few heavyweights that aren't villains. If you only count characters above 110 weight, Charizard is the only non-villain. King Dedede is more of a rival than a villain, and Piranha Plant is more of a henchman than a villain, but there's no real decidedly "good" heavyweights. Plus, a heavyweight with a giant sword and a fast rolling attack would be dope. Not sure how Daruk's Protection could be adapted into a move, I think it would work best if it were his shield, and it couldn't be shield-poked. (Like Yoshi's shield.)

...I actually just thought of this, but Daruk could have a very VERY unique gimmick, where his shield just never breaks at all, but he has some kind of downside to make up for that. Grabs would still work on him though, obviously.

Revali is, in my opinion, the least interesting of the four. I might just be biased because I hate him, but he doesn't really have anything that is unique when it comes to smash. He can fly really well and is good with a bow... and that's about it. At best he would just feel like Wrastor from Rivals of Aether with a bow and arrow. Not that Wrastor isn't cool, but it's just been done before. Also Revali sucks and I hate him he stole my wife.

There's also the possibility I've heard thrown around of one character for all four of them, but I don't see that being feasible unless it was Link using all the Champion abilities, or if it were a Pokemon Trainer-esque moveset, but the latter is way too much dev time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so with link' awakening remake on the horizon, hows this for a topic, are there any characters from said game youd love to see in smash in any form?

Lenidem

Smash Lord
so with link' awakening remake on the horizon, hows this for a topic, are there any characters from said game youd love to see in smash in any form?
Not really. Maybe Marin as an assist... I would rather have a Cocolint stage, but we already have several beaches.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
who says itd have to be the beach?
Well, it's the most important place of the game, with the mountain and the egg of course. That said, it's true that the Gerudo Valley, the Great Bay and the bridge of Ordinn are not really the most 'iconic' places of their respective game (maybe the last one is).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, it's the most important place of the game, with the mountain and the egg of course. That said, it's true that the Gerudo Valley, the Great Bay and the bridge of Ordinn are not really the most 'iconic' places of their respective game (maybe the last one is).
exactly sakurai tends to go with what he thinks looks cool (well thats the sense i get) i could easily be any part of the island i think

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly would be a dream come true for me, lol.
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I'll admit when Linkle was first announced I was skeptical. A genderbent Link was a hot topic in the Zelda community and another OC being put into Hyrule whilst we skipped the likes of Vaati, Knox and Veran didn't sit right with me.

As it happens Linkle ended up being quite charming and endearing in the end to my delight with plenty of personality and her backstory with her grandma is pretty funny conceptionally.

Just imagine how many kids were named Link and told they were the legendary hero by their parents and grandparents in Hyrule...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
This might be spoiler-ish but is Linkle supposed to be a true female Link or does she just believe she is the destined Hero? I mean unless Linkle is from an alternate Hyrule from Hyrule Warriors Link; is that even possible? There can't be 2 Links from the same period right? I haven't played but I guessed she just believed she was a destined Hero.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This might be spoiler-ish but is Linkle supposed to be a true female Link or does she just believe she is the destined Hero? I mean unless Linkle is from an alternate Hyrule from Hyrule Warriors Link; is that even possible? There can't be 2 Links from the same period right? I haven't played but I guessed she just believed she was a destined Hero.
she believes herself to be the hero and was designed both as a female link and at other point was meant to be link's sister. she was not from an alternate hyrule, well not an alternate one to the one in HW. and seeing as hyrule warriors is set in its own timeline its up for debate whether or not there could be more than one destined hero.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Linkle would actually be worse than nothing tbh.
I don't quite agree, but I think making her anything other than a mii fighter or MAYBE alt skin of Link would be extremely undeserved. I'd rather her get a spotlight in an actual Zelda game first.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Whilst there's a plot point about a soul being split into two beings in the game, said plot point isn't about Link's soul.

I'd suggest Linkle isn't Link, she just thinks she is due to her grandmother filling her head with that lie. She does turn into a hero as time goes on but she neither has the Triforce of Courage, the Master Sword nor Link's soul, otherwise Cia would be far more interested in her.

She's just a spunky Hylian with a heroic can-do attitude who believes in her own hype.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think that is the best way to go about a character like Linkle. I actually really like her design. I honestly wouldn't mind if she were to appear in a main line Legend of Zelda game. A poor girl who believes she is the destined Hero but in spite not being the case; she steps up to help Link save the day.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Don't forget about her compass. It's not clear, but it contains some kind of powerful magic. For me it's a bit blurry, and I like it like that. Linkle might be a surprising incarnation of the Hero. Or not. It's all legend anyway. :)

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
Phew, managed to snag a copy of Link’s Awakening Limited Edition when it went briefly back in stock on the UK store. I was gonna post about the extra stock here but looks like it’s already out again. Mybad. Anywho, looking forward to some traditional dungeons on switch!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Phew, managed to snag a copy of Link’s Awakening Limited Edition when it went briefly back in stock on the UK store. I was gonna post about the extra stock here but looks like it’s already out again. Mybad. Anywho, looking forward to some traditional dungeons on switch!
just in time then

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I actually forgot that Link’s Awakening was coming out so soon, lol. I was like, “I should probably check when it due for release.” Oh about two weeks, fair enough.
yeah i had a moment like that as well, im gonna end up with even more ideas for a second hyrule warriors

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
yeah i had a moment like that as well, im gonna end up with even more ideas for a second hyrule warriors
It needs to happen. There are so many cool and interesting characters they could add. Beedle, Linebeck, Veran, Onox, Vaati to name a few. I would love to see a Koume/Kotake combination where their special attack turns them into Twinrova, possibly their magic burst attack as well.

(Can’t help feeling it’d be awesome if every single one of Linebeck’s attack appeared to “loot” rupees from his targets, but maybe his smash attack calls in his ship, true to his personality in Phantom Hourglass)

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It needs to happen. There are so many cool and interesting characters they could add. Beedle, Linebeck, Veran, Onox, Vaati to name a few. I would love to see a Koume/Kotake combination where their special attack turns them into Twinrova, possibly their magic burst attack as well.

(Can’t help feeling it’d be awesome if every single one of Linebeck’s attack appeared to “loot” rupees from his targets, but maybe his smash attack calls in his ship, true to his personality in Phantom Hourglass)
theyd all be cool characters, but i tell you a mad idea i had recently, the artist crocodile, schule donavitch, running across the battlefield paintbrush and canvas in hand

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
theyd all be cool characters, but i tell you a mad idea i had recently, the artist crocodile, schule donavitch, running across the battlefield paintbrush and canvas in hand
That’s just crazy enough to work! Lol

(Have to admit, my Zelda knowledge isn’t perfect and had to look the character up)

Although I have had a vision of Yuga being playable in smash n he could have a special a bit like Kirby’s inhale let’s him don their guise and he could briefly turn any character into a unique ALBW style portrait before being launched.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That’s just crazy enough to work! Lol

(Have to admit, my Zelda knowledge isn’t perfect and had to look the character up)

Although I have had a vision of Yuga being playable in smash n he could have a special a bit like Kirby’s inhale let’s him don their guise and he could briefly turn any character into a unique ALBW style portrait before being launched.
his on screen entrance would defiantly be him turning from 2d to 3d

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
With more DLC confirmed, I think a Zelda rep being one of them is near guaranteed. The timing with BOTW2 lines up super well, so I think a rep from that game, or just a Zelda rep in general to coincide with it, is definitely on the table. I think the next Fighter Pass is likely to be only first party characters. My main concern is, what's the most likely Zelda rep?

Because of BOTW2, I feel like getting a second form of Ganon based on his BOTW2 incarnation, whatever it turns out to be, is a pretty likely scenario. Maybe this one can be much more unique and magic-based than the current one? Since we've seen so little of the game, it's hard to tell if he'd even be a good choice. "CORPSE GANON... REAWAKENS IN SMASH" ?

There's also the possibility of several Smash Ballot characters being it. I don't think assist trophies or mii fighters have a shot personally, so Midna and Skull Kid probably aren't it. The only other characters that were relatively popular on the Smash Ballot would be Toon Ganon, Impa, or maybe Vaati? Of the three, I think Impa has a good shot as an echo fighter, and Toon Ganon's support probably would just make them want to put in another Ganon, like possibly the one from BOTW2 as I mentioned earlier.

There's also a good chance that they blindside all of us and add a character nobody has REALLY requested. At the moment, Zelda fans just want ANY rep, and there's no real consensus on who. Beast Ganon from Zelda 1 or LttP would be a good choice for this, since so many people want a decloned ganon, it'd be similar. There's also a possibility of one of the BOTW Champions. Or even Demise!

If my theory about a 1st party character pass with echos bundled instead of stages is true, I can see three outcomes:

Shill Timeline) BotW2 "Corpse Ganon", and BotW2 Zelda as an echo of Zelda. "Wild Zelda"?
Fan-Fave Timeline) Vaati or Skull Kidor a BotW Champion, and an Impa echo of Sheik.
Classic Timeline) "Beast Ganon," design based off LttP, and Hilda as an echo of Zelda.

I personally prefer the shill or classic outcomes, but any Zelda rep would be awesome in my book.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
More DLC confirmed, I think a little more Zelda crossover is likely... but there are so many OPTIONS!

Impa - Most games and presence aside from the main trio to a point she’s obviously somehow also tied to the reincarnation cycle. Very likely. But also has so many varied forms that it would be hard locking down a playstyle other than “Ninja with a weapon (either spear or katana or Naginata).” Very likely.

Tingle - Next most game appearances (including some of his own), but already a stage element on Termina. Not too likely.

Twinrova - Very similar to Tingle without appearing in their own games

Vaati - The big bad of three Zelda games, but they’re the ones capcom worked on and are largely out of the limelight. Fun, but not too likely.

Skull Kid - The demand is there. No longer an assist trophy. Mii costume removed. Likely.

Midna/Wolf Link - Midna’s an assist trophy. Not too likely, but possible as it would be another Link.

Some other Link - Four Sword. Triforce Heroes. Majora’s Mask Link. Whatever. Still not too likely to have a fourth Link but possible, as it’s Link.

Some other Ganon or Zelda - Same.

Goose/Maple or a Witch’s Assistant/A Sage/A champion from BOTW - All possible, but all pretty much are one and dones in the series except:

Malon and Epona: Possible really just as a way to make Epona the character. That horse is also somehow tied to the reincarnation cycle. Not too likely because it’s a horse.

And that’s not even all!!! Sakurai hit a big note with “Pirahna Plant is more recognizable than most main characters from lesser known series”. This holds true for Zelda Minions too.

Moblin - Easily the most recognizable. A large heavyweight muscular armored pig with a spear. A bit generic.

Octorok - Second most recognizable. But going a bit too similar to pirahna plant in function.

Darknut - Now that’s an easy moveset. But a generic character.

Lynel - Not generic and certainly big right now. But might be too big. Size wise. Like might be a boss fight.

And of course with Zelda there are identifiable characters in the species:

Goron, Deku, and Zora: The most identifiable and certainly have moveset potential. Especially after being playable in Majora’s Mask. And technically Deku is playable again in Cadence of Hyrule.

Gerudo and Rito: Less likely. Not in every game. But certainly identifiable.

Anouki and Subrosan: Okay, just stop.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
More DLC confirmed, I think a little more Zelda crossover is likely... but there are so many OPTIONS!

Impa - Most games and presence aside from the main trio to a point she’s obviously somehow also tied to the reincarnation cycle. Very likely. But also has so many varied forms that it would be hard locking down a playstyle other than “Ninja with a weapon (either spear or katana or Naginata).” Very likely.

Tingle - Next most game appearances (including some of his own), but already a stage element on Termina. Not too likely.

Vaati - The big bad of three Zelda games, but they’re the ones capcom worked on and are largely out of the limelight. Fun, but not too likely.

Skull Kid - The demand is there. No longer an assist trophy. Mii costume removed. Likely.

Midna/Wolf Link - Midna’s an assist trophy. Not too likely, but possible as it would be another Link.

Some other Link - Four Sword. Triforce Heroes. Majora’s Mask Link. Whatever. Still not too likely to have a fourth Link but possible, as it’s Link.

Goose/Maple or a Witch’s Assistant/A Sage/A champion from BOTW - All possible, but all pretty much are one and dones in the series except:

Malon and Epona: Possible really just as a way to make Epona the character. That horse is also somehow tied to the reincarnation cycle. Not too likely because it’s a horse.

And that’s not even all!!! Sakurai hit a big note with “Pirahna Plant is more recognizable than most main characters from lesser known series”. This holds true for Zelda Minions too.

Moblin - Easily the most recognizable. A large heavyweight muscular armored pig with a spear. A bit generic.

Octorok - Second most recognizable. But going a bit too similar to pirahna plant in function.

Lynel - Not generic and certainly big right now. But might be too big. Size wise. Like might be a boss fight.

Goron, Deku, and Zora: The most identifiable and certainly have moveset potential. Especially after being playable in Majora’s Mask. And technically Deku is playable again in Cadence of Hyrule.

actually of the 3 games vaati is in only one of them were made by capcom

Zero Suit Violet

Smash Journeyman

You do know that we have both the AT coming back, and the Mii costume that is new from this Smash for Skull Kid, right?
You also skipped Tetra on there, récurent, unique moveset, and a nice representation of the Toon Saga unlike Toon Link
I'm personally a big advocate for Midna though, we don't know yet if AT deconfirm so in the meantime, I'll keep on pushing for her!
On that subject, Midna have a new thread here made by yours truly, so if you're a Midna fan, you can go check it out right here!
Midna! Out of the Shadows

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
People actually think a Zelda character has a chance again. People really don't learn I guess.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865

I think Impa is one of the most likely characters, but mostly because she can be an echo fighter. If we get echo fighter DLC (which I think we probably will at some point) and any of them are Zelda echo fighters, Impa and Hilda are really the only good choices. Any other echo has problems, such as there being too many links to add in a TP Link echo or something, or having to change too much like with a Toon Ganon or Toon Zelda echo.

If not for being a stage hazard without an easy substitute like Alfonzo, Tingle would 100% be the most likely Zelda rep. His popularity in Japan is ABSURD. I'm pretty sure he was the most popular Zelda rep in the Smash Ballot for Japan by a very large amount, according to a few polls I saw. The stage hazard thing holds him back though. Plus there's the problem of moveset potential... and the west would hate him lol.

Twinrova has no chance. Sure, they've appeared in more than one game, but have zero popularity or recognizability compared to Tingle.

Vaati is pretty niche, and I'm probably underestimating his popularity a little bit, but he's really got nothing on so many other Zelda characters.

Skull Kid assist trophy is still in the game? And so is the Mii costume?? What are you talking about?? I think he's the second or third most likely character to be upgraded from an assist trophy, but... he's still pretty unlikely. I'd be shocked if it happened.

Wolf Link could happen, maybe, but I don't think there's that much of a demand for it. Midna being an assist just kinda ****s TP representation via a character entirely, unless we got Zant or something?

I think Link is out of the question since we have 3 of him already, but another Ganon or Zelda is a lot more likely in my eyes. If Sakurai only wants triforce holders in Smash, then why not have 3 versions of each one? We have Wild Link, Young Link, and Toon Link, so then the next logical step would be Zelda, Sheik, and Toon Zelda? Science/Wild Zelda? Hilda? We only have ONE Ganon, and it's Ganondorf, who appears in the fewest games of all his incarnations. Beast Ganon in any one of his various iconic designs (except for OoT, obviously) as a mage, Demise, BotW2 Ganon, Toon Ganon, Mage Ganondorf, etc.

I think getting another form of Ganon is honestly the most likely Zelda rep.

I want to be optimistic and say that a one-off (or two-off) character is possible, but I just don't know what goes on in Sakurai's head. Considering we have one-off characters from Fire Emblem, Metroid, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, etc... There's no actual reason why it can't happen for Zelda. I think that ""rule"" is just from paranoia about it not happening yet.

I wouldn't be opposed to a Goron/Deku/Zora, but I don't want a Moblin or Darknut playable. A lynel, HARD maybe. The rest are just... ehhhh, no. Unless it was a specific character in the case of Gerudo/Rito.

Except for Subrosan, that's my #1 DLC pick easily.

Darklink46

Smash Apprentice
Considering we have one-off characters from Fire Emblem, Metroid, Pokemon, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, etc....
Just out of interest, sorry if I’m being clueless but who’s the one-off for Metroid? We’ve got Samus (not, obviously) Zero Suit Samus (not), Ridley (not) and then Dark Samus (appears in MP 2&3).

Also, I think it’s great that people can still be optimistic for a new Zelda character, but at the same time can understand PhantomShab PhantomShab and his point of view. Zelda has had prime characters that would fit into Smash well for years, yet they haven’t, so I am a bit skeptical myself.

One of the problems I foresee is that because there have been several viable character options (such as Impa, Midna and Skull Kid), if they do get around to adding a new Zelda rep, people will question why earlier characters weren’t “good enough” to get in.

Top Bottom