• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

quindelin

Smash Rookie
I don't think you corner pressure him enough. Blizzard beats ledgedash and any other getup option as well (if you space it) as you can react to him going up high with uair. Mixup using jabs in between blizzards instead of ice blocks because ice block puts you in a lot of lag and is really just a way to keep him honest with his ledgestall.

It seems Spark likes to make the neutral appear more complicated than it is with his fancy platform movement. Don't fall for his tricks! Remember: your shield beats Sheik. All Sheik can do is hit it and then run back up to the platforms to hopefully score another hit where you're not shielding. Stick to center stage, deny his access to top platform with uair, and push him into the side platform and then from there to the ledge.

I don't like to challenge Sheik's fair too much, usually I just shield and buffer roll away into desync blizzard. Sheik can't really follow it well. You could completely call out her sh timing and wd under with a utilt but that's a super read and you could catch a ftilt in the face for your troubles.

When Sheik is side platform camping with needles you you have a few options. I like to use desync nanapult fairs cause it's dope and it will convince her to come down because it's a threat. Nanapult blizzard might work but it won't net you as much damage and it puts nana in more lag. I don't really like to full hop uair through a platform against sheik because any sheik worth her salt is waiting for that and will convert into a shield drop combo. So you could do quick wd short hop uairs to poke her but you would have to time your wavedash in between her needle wall.

When you're both on the ground sheik is just waiting to ftilt your approach usually so you could wd cc --> grab. So in neutral its basically a 50/50 between her fairing and ftilting if she's not on a platform.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
first of all thanks for the tips!

I don't think you corner pressure him enough. Blizzard beats ledgedash and any other getup option as well (if you space it) as you can react to him going up high with uair. Mixup using jabs in between blizzards instead of ice blocks because ice block puts you in a lot of lag and is really just a way to keep him honest with his ledgestall.
i tend to give up pressure because he shino stalls perfectly. but you're right, i should blizzard the ledge more and mixup my popo moves instead of just using ice block. even if he ledge dashes or ledge jumps i should be able to do something to them. i'll try to keep this in mind

It seems Spark likes to make the neutral appear more complicated than it is with his fancy platform movement. Don't fall for his tricks! Remember: your shield beats Sheik. All Sheik can do is hit it and then run back up to the platforms to hopefully score another hit where you're not shielding. Stick to center stage, deny his access to top platform with uair, and push him into the side platform and then from there to the ledge.
good tip! i'll keep the shield in mind. his shield pressure is really good, if u look closely almost everything he does is not grabbable from shield. but at least blocking everything will discourage him to retreat. a problem though is that if he gets the lead, it's really tough to get it back because eventually i do have to move forward.

I don't like to challenge Sheik's fair too much, usually I just shield and buffer roll away into desync blizzard. Sheik can't really follow it well. You could completely call out her sh timing and wd under with a utilt but that's a super read and you could catch a ftilt in the face for your troubles.
if the fair is mid-stage, the roll works. but even then, the roll is somewhat reactable if he waits, and he can punish it with a dash attack. or if he's too slow, he can follow the roll with a run up point blank dsmash. i tend to just wait until i'm out of pressure and then wavedash away. maybe i can do a wavedash away into a stationary desync like upB oos blizz, or grab whiff desync.

if he fairs my shield when i'm already in the corner, rolling in either direction is even more reactable

When Sheik is side platform camping with needles you you have a few options. I like to use desync nanapult fairs cause it's dope and it will convince her to come down because it's a threat. Nanapult blizzard might work but it won't net you as much damage and it puts nana in more lag. I don't really like to full hop uair through a platform against sheik because any sheik worth her salt is waiting for that and will convert into a shield drop combo. So you could do quick wd short hop uairs to poke her but you would have to time your wavedash in between her needle wall.
haven't really tried using nanapults to challenge sheik on the platform. i'll try it out, even if i die for it sometimes

When you're both on the ground sheik is just waiting to ftilt your approach usually so you could wd cc --> grab. So in neutral its basically a 50/50 between her fairing and ftilting if she's not on a platform.
interesting. i'll try using wd cc as an approach

thank you

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very experienced against Sheik, but one thing I noticed was that You seem to go for d-throw > dair regrabs too much. It's a strong mix up, but there were definitely times You could have just gone straight into a wobble because He was at a percent where He shouldn't have been able to mash out in time.

NTRN

Smash Cadet
For the sheik matchup, I disagree with shield beating her. I find that unless they are committing to something dumb that you are shielding grabbing, you are a lot more mobile just crouching.
I think the problem predominantly is roll. If you put up shield she is going to jump in, do some late aerial to jab/tilt then tilt/fair/dsmash and likely get pushed out of shield grab range, so shielding gets you a WD opportunity at best. At worst you roll out, Nana gets clipped, Nana gets comboed and she is up 20% and you scrambling for stage position, or dead before you can get back in the game.

Whereas crouch let's you have a few faster reactions with dash grab, pivot smashes, true cc counters etc. And if she grabs you, you just react and grab or smash her out of grab with Nana. In addition, you have all the options you had OOS, aside from some particular desync.

Tl;dr:
I was down 2 games to a good sheik by getting overwhelmed in my shield, and I clawed it back 3-2 by remembering wobbles say that crouch beats sheik.

quindelin

Smash Rookie
A good mixup of crouch and shield beat sheik. I also mentioned crouch in my post, knowing that AC fair beats crouch. Sheik can jump right after AC fair to avoid getting grabbed, regardless of whether you CC'd it or not, so I would rather have shielded a fair and reset to neutral rather than just take the damage. BUT, if you know that sheik is going to ftilt then you CC.

Smash Journeyman
I recently got this cool back throw hand-off: https://gfycat.com/MixedRevolvingHorsefly
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to set this up without getting hit first. I tried doing forward throw hand-offs facing away from the ledge, but I can't seem to get Nana far enough in front to make it work.

ilysm

sleepy
In PM, you can set something like this up by making Popo dthrow and Nana walk forward slightly during the dthrow animation before she regrabs. The different ways the Force works in Melee means that this is a lot harder to do, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Another barrier is reacting to her actual throw since she might pummel, but that just makes it a little more difficult.

NTRN

Smash Cadet
I recently got this cool back throw hand-off: https://gfycat.com/MixedRevolvingHorsefly
I was wondering if anyone knows a way to set this up without getting hit first. I tried doing forward throw hand-offs facing away from the ledge, but I can't seem to get Nana far enough in front to make it work.
From my tests, smash turn dsmash-popo -> Nana dash sheildstop grab gets her in the right position (and if you are good, you can link the dsmash into grab), but the bthrow is pretty unreactable with grab at that position without moving.

Smash Journeyman
It worked in the gif because Nana was close enough to the ledge to guarantee a back throw, so if one can get Nana to grab with that spacing, it could be a potential way to setup a wobble from the corner. Still seems extremely situational, but I think it's cool regardless.

Edit:
http://im2.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif.com-bfb93fdee9.gif
Gif quality is bad because of low-budged capture card. If someone wants to make a better one, feel free.

Last edited:

NTRN

Smash Cadet
It worked in the gif because Nana was close enough to the ledge to guarantee a back throw, so if one can get Nana to grab with that spacing, it could be a potential way to setup a wobble from the corner. Still seems extremely situational, but I think it's cool regardless.

Edit:
http://im2.ezgif.com/tmp/ezgif.com-bfb93fdee9.gif
Gif quality is bad because of low-budged capture card. If someone wants to make a better one, feel free.
Yeah, the positioning is doable, it is just hard to react to the back throw to grab on the frame you need to. What I do in similar situations is just dash and follow the throw and grab facing away. This works well at low percents, and at high percents where they fly too far, just fsmash while they are flying and edge guard.

Smash Journeyman
I usually do the same thing because it's a lot easier. The downside is that DI up can be hard to cover, and it doesn't really work on floaties or characters at higher %.

NTRN

Smash Cadet
Sure, but reacting that b throw handoff with any floaty outside of samus will be incredibly difficult. With Jiggs it would have to be a hard read on Nana's timing in a very situational setup to even have a chance.

I certainly won't downplay how swag it is though. Handoff variants are some of the coolest things in the game for me.

NTRN

Smash Cadet
What is the coolest thing you have done, ice climber related, recently?

Mine was discovering pivot nana bair grab was both a true combo and totally achievable in real time. It is a bunch of frame tight windows, and starts with a frame perfect input, but it is wonderful.

Https://gfycat.com/jauntyregaldeer

It was my first attempt once I got out my recording setup, and it is the difficult direction too.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Haha, aw shoot the cat is out of the bag. Shoutouts to Antic from Oregon for being the first to tell me about this ish.
Making Nana do a pivot jump Bair and having Popo do a DD grab is a really solid option. If done correctly it confirms if it connects or if it's blocked. Here's a gfy I made showing that off where the Fox just barely ends his shieldstun before the grab because I'm only human.
Link in case Gfy doesn't load here: https://gfycat.com/FoolishHollowAntbear

Altogether the Nana pivot jump Bair is a crazy slick option, and since Nana's Bair auto-cancels there's no delay on starting the wobble. If you do a lot of staggered Bairs this is a great mixup, it's also just an incredibly solid option if you have a grab read but want to be just a small bit safer since Nana doing a Bair instead of a grab both puts out a hitbox and ends sooner allowing her to cover you if the grab whiffs. This also allows Nana to be used as bait, because if she's going to be hit you can still land a grab with Popo if you see it coming.

Last edited:

NTRN

Smash Cadet
What I really want to hit consistently is pivot fh Nana bair, but my fingers aren't fast enough to ensure the full hop and hit the bair before popo dashes too far away to control. I honestly think if I could get it consistently, it would destroy the optimal peach float height while leaving you totally safe to counter attack any move against Nana.

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
Hey, I wanted some opinions on two different desyncs I found (new to me, definitely have been done before by others). While doing blizzard ice block desyncs I found that my opponent could land on top of me fairly unpunished even when I'm changing my position with WDs. I found that I can potentially cover above me with an uptilt or full hop U-Air (sometimes off SH but it's only consistent if I don't L-cancel so I have popo stuck in landing lag) and maintain Nana blizzarding. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what situations I would use one or the other. For now the only thing I can think of is that the full hop is more commited bc of ICs being bad in the air but has the ability to poke the top platform. Thanks!

NTRN

Smash Cadet
Hey, I wanted some opinions on two different desyncs I found (new to me, definitely have been done before by others). While doing blizzard ice block desyncs I found that my opponent could land on top of me fairly unpunished even when I'm changing my position with WDs. I found that I can potentially cover above me with an uptilt or full hop U-Air (sometimes off SH but it's only consistent if I don't L-cancel so I have popo stuck in landing lag) and maintain Nana blizzarding. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what situations I would use one or the other. For now the only thing I can think of is that the full hop is more commited bc of ICs being bad in the air but has the ability to poke the top platform. Thanks!
When I want safe ice block pressure, I go for pivot jump ice blocks with nana and I keep her safe with popo. Occasionally I'll miss the pivot jump and end up with a synched ice block, but generally they are conditioned enough to know I'll be waiting with a usmash if they come in so they won't react in time. A benefit of the pivot jump is that you can position Nana so she is well behind popo and safe from quick attacks. Popo can also shield laglessly to tank through projectiles and prevent Nana from harm. If you want to switch it up, you can mix in pivot jump blizzards too.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey Climbers ^_^/ Here with a little bit of a fun post about Ultra Moonwalks.

Ultra moonwalking works by doing a triple dashdance and continuing to run after the third dash. The idea is that Nana will take on Popo's direction during the second dash, but she will move forward with Popo during his third dash. Continuing this into a run has Nana run in the opposite direction animation-wise while traveling with Popo, thus, it's a moonwalk that can go on until you run out of stage.

There are two key concepts to the ultra moonwalk technique.

First off, the first two dashes need to take up at least 13 frames, not including the 1 frame of turn. If you do less than 13 frames total, Nana won't turn around. Nana's first dash always takes 13 frames, so by making our DD take that long we are essentially waiting out her initial dash until it turns into a run, which we manipulate from there.
Popo's longest dash is 13 frames, his shortest initial dash is 4* frames but a dashback can be shorter. With these factors in mind we can do several combinations. A 4 frame dash forward and a 9 frame dash back, a 13 frame dash forward and a 13 frame dash back (as long as they are 13 or more combined it's okay, so even though this one is extra long it still works), or even a 13 frame dash forward and a 1 frame dashback.
Here's a gfy of all of those in their respective order
Link in case gfy doesn't load here: https://gfycat.com/WatchfulCanineJaguar

The second key aspect of the ultra moonwalk is that the 2nd and 3rd dashes have to be held dashes.The first dash can be sloppy, you can flick the stick or whatever you want. Dash 2 and the final dash have to be held in the dash direction the entire duration, no hang-time in neutral stick position or tilt back stick position. However, you can chill in tilt forward stick position. So in other words, if you dashed left you can chill in tilt left before you dashback to the right, but you can’t chill in tilt right or neutral. Neutral causes runbrake and tilt back causes turnrun.
The thing to take away from this is that your 2nd and 3rd dashes have to be done without flicking and the 3rd, final dash has to be an especially quick motion. If you get a new controller, you can test its ability to ultra moonwalk and this will be a somewhat decent indicator of its ability to dashback from neutral as the two techniques are slightly related.

You can also ultra moonwalk from a DD if you see Nana's movement and call out her run direction with proper timing. Here's an example of that: https://gfycat.com/AlertHeavyHound
Sometimes these moonwalks aren't as pretty, but it's neat to know just how flexible the setup can be.

*You can actually input the first dashback on frame 3 but it is still delayed until frame 4.

I'll be posting more useful stuff in the near future, but thanks for taking the time to read about one of ICs most fun techs. Until next time ^_^/

Special thanks to @tauKhan for giving feedback and helping with technique/execution facts.

Last edited:

Smasher89

Smash Lord
sup dudes

frustrated with this character

im switching to marth after 11 years LOL
I guess writing a guide on fighting agauinst ICs kinda backfired? Good luck with Marth and take out some peaches :D

That pivot jump bair looks kinda solid, might be really good as cornerpressure, even more then fox bair close to the edge of the stage since it's more reward for it!

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Shield stun desynchs have been a concept for intentional setups and combo starters for years (and they’ve been done accidentally since the beginning of the game :p).
*I'm going to say shieldstun in this post a lot and ignore hitlag. For all intents and purposes hitlag on a shield is included in the shieldstun phrase

The concept behind a shieldstun desynch is that if Nana and Popo’s shields are hit at the same time, they suffer the same amount of shieldstun, starting and ending on the same frame. We can desynch from this because, although Popo will not listen to our inputs in shield stun, Nana will still remember the inputs and try to execute them with her 6 frame delay. If everything is executed correctly Popo’s shieldstun eats the inputs, and 6 frames later when Nana receives them we are out of shield stun so she’ll do whatever we said to do.

One commonly talked about application for this is the “6 frame grab.” A Dair comes out in 3 frames, IC’s jumpsquat is 3 frames, do some magic math and you can see a jump -> Dair hitting in 6 frames.
IC’s grab is 7 frames, so Dair OoS is actually faster than shieldgrabbing. However Dair sucks, even if you hit with two. So what’s better than two Dair? One desynched Dair :D
Essentially you get hit by a move and Dair OoS while in stun, then grab once the stun seems over. Nana will Dair OoS due to a shield stun desynch, and Popo will grab the opponent from the Dair hit. You hit the opponent on frame 6 and got a grab, thus it’s essentially a “6 frame grab.”

https://gfycat.com/LiveBlueArmedcrab

Doing aerials out of shield with Nana while not making Popo do an action is difficult. It takes 4 frames if you get an instant aerial since you have to have the jump input on frame 1, 2 frames of wait, then the aerial input on 4. Even if you get lots of stun, this is a 3 frame window, so it’s difficult to execute. This was assuming your aerial was instant too.

Special moves can’t be done while in shield though, so having Nana jump out of shield and iceblock or blizzard will keep Popo in shield even if the special move input is done after Popo’s shieldstun wears off.
It’s worth noting that pressing down for the blizzard will still make Popo spotdodge pretty frequently in practice, so hitting down at the very start of long shield stun will avoid this, but it might make Nana spotdodge if the shield stun is too small. A consistent method is to press down right after you input jump and Popo is still in stun or to have your shield tilted down before a hit. Also you can slowly tilt the stick down during Nana jumpsquat so you can get a blizzard and only make Popo tilt his shield down slowly.

Assuming shield tilting and everything is done correctly, this gives you a 6 frame window* when doing shieldstun jumps -> special moves since you only have to worry about the jump. This makes shieldstun desynchs way more viable.
*if the attack on your shield does very little damage, the window can be decreased to 5 frames since the hitlag + shieldstun only give you that much time.

Anyway here’s w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶w̶a̶l̶l a gfy. This is shieldstun desynch being applied against Peach FC Fair, a very common scenario in the Peach/ICs MU.
Here, the IC reacts to Peach starting a Fair, holds down during stun, makes Nana FH blizzard using the shieldstun desynch. The Popo waits for about 11 frames after the Peach has landed and goes for a grab. This grab will get lazy stuff like jab -> dashback and such. The grab is slow enough that a D-tilt or D-smash will hit shield before the grab comes out and lock Popo safely in his shield. If a double jab interrupts the grab then Popo can ASDI down and grab again.
Link in case Gfy doesn't load here: https://gfycat.com/NegativeNegativeDog

This isn’t perfect option coverage and it’s heavily execution reliant on both parties end, but it’s a neat demonstration of shield stun desynch’s potential option coverage.

https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyCloudyCockroachBleedPurple
https://gfycat.com/UnawareAlarmedInganue
Here’s some cool stuff people have done.There’s obviously tons more stuff you can do. Good luck and thanks for reading ^_^/

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
sup guys

been playing a lot of marth

hes really good

but learning better fundamentals have also showed me

that ics are pretty good sometimes

except when they are being camped and the opponent has the lead

that sucks

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Noticed I was able to jab>crouch+hold blizzard to get a standing jab desynch, was easier to do with ftilt but still seems really good. What's the timing window for that, and would I be able to make nana dashgrab instead of blizzard when doing it, and still not commit more then to crouch as Popo?

LeadRod

Smash Apprentice
NNID
420B-LAZE-IT!!
I was talking to a friend the other day about jab>grab. He said that it seems like the jab is an unnecessary as it just gives the opponent an opportunity to CC into something like shine. My explanation was that the jab gave additional range but other than that I couldn't really think of other benefits except for it maybe being less committal than a raw boost grab. Does anyone know any other reasons why jab -> grab is used instead of raw grab?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Jab is faster, and applies pressure, and since its less committal, you can punish if it get spotodged/rolled more often compared to grab iirc.

Smash Journeyman
What are some ways of dealing with Samus missiles? I don't think it's realistic to consistently power shield them, so usually I try to out spam with ice blocks. The issue is that the ice blocks don't always break the missiles, and when that happens I take what seems to be a pretty bad trade. I'm also unsure of what spacing I need to have to stop the Samus from using missiles, while also avoiding the threat of down smash, because that's usually a free kill on Nana if it hits.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Starting to get slightly better at the jab, turnaround sopo dsmash nana bair. Was there any data posted on what that beats/catches, because that would be nice, and how much shield hit points (of total) that takes would be really interesting!

NTRN

Smash Cadet
Starting to get slightly better at the jab, turnaround sopo dsmash nana bair. Was there any data posted on what that beats/catches, because that would be nice, and how much shield hit points (of total) that takes would be really interesting!
I think it is pretty hard to give solid numbers because guy hit lag only applies to one of them so it depends on move staleness, which I think is super cool. So you have the variability on the dsmash and bair.

1 popo dsmash startup1 /Nana run
2 popo dsmash startup2/ Nana jump input delay1
6 popo dsmash active6/ Nana jump input delay 5
8 popo dsmash active8/ Nana jump squat1
11 popo dsmash active 11/ Nana airborne
12 popo dsmash active 12/ Nana bair startup1
13 popo dsmash cooldown13/ nana bair startup2
19 popo dsmash cooldown 19/ Nana bair active 8
23 popo dsmash cooldown 23/ Nana bair cooldown 12
30 popo dsmash cooldown 30/ Nana bair autocancel 19
39 dsmash cooldown end

This is only true for both wiffing. If popo hits, there is a variable amount of hitlag associated with staleness, Xp. Nana would effectively skip forward Xp frames. The variable hitlag associated with Nana bair Xn would cause popo to skip forward the same way. This may not be totally correct, but it is illustrative of the technical challenge of precision in desync.

Realistically you can shift Nana however far down you want because you can control when she jumps and bairs. In this case being frame perfect looks like you leave a pretty big vulnerable window at the end.

Further, if the jab dsmash hits, a jab double dsmash would hit and leave you in the same situation lag wise, but with more damage output.

Its cool though. I feel that a mix of smash aerial and usmash aerial is good to mix up between speed of dsmash and the slow usmash for coverage and power against jump ins and spot dodges.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
So frame 30-39 there is no hitstun on the shield after the nana bair then assuming it hits? Meaning there is a 9 frame punishwindow for any opponent? Or even more making it not viable shieldpressure?

I guess there is no way to calcylate about how much shieldhp that string takes assuming jab, dsmash and nana bair hits it?

NTRN

Smash Cadet
Really, you could delay the bair however many frames you wanted, you just sacrifice early attacks for late attacks.

tHe Chise

Smash Rookie
What are some applications of Desyncs. I found it interesting how they worked, but I never knew how to apply them. Also, does anyone have any tips for ICs in neutral. Currently, my Sopo is better than my dual climbers.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
What are some applications of Desyncs. I found it interesting how they worked, but I never knew how to apply them. Also, does anyone have any tips for ICs in neutral. Currently, my Sopo is better than my dual climbers.
Desync'ing is extremely situational and matchup specific. Some matchups such as Fox and Peach can leave the other climber vulnerable upon desync'ing in some situations imo. Sometimes it is simply better to stay sync'd in certain matchups.
It also boils down to how well the other character can deal with projectile walls. Luigi and to a small extent, Sheik and Marth, have some issues in dealing with projectile walls. When desync'ing wisely and positioning yourself well, you can use the desyncs to funnel an approach from them and work on what they will do from there.
I also found that some characters cannot address the walls very well upon cornering them on stages or when they are on the ledge. The most prominent example I can think of off the spot is Samus as she cannot get around the wall other than going above, or having a charged shot.
It is definitely a complex question you're asking but a lot of it comes from experience and experimenting :/ Good luck!

Last edited:

TrevR

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0528-5701
Desyncs can be useful for baits, edgeguards, combos, and a variety of other things. A desync can be a lot of different things, from dthrowing with main and fsmashing with backup to deal heavy damage, to wobbling. From my experience I learned of a few desyncs and then thought about what they can do and I tried them out. Then I did that some more. You do it again and again.
With Ice Climbers your neutral is not similar to the other top tiers. Neutral is a test of your patience. Approaching is a bad idea so you usually want to get the opponent to come to you if you can. For general tips I guess I would say that you shouldn't full jump unless the opponent is above you and don't go on platforms unless you're sure you'll hit your opponent a safe distance away.

TrevR

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0528-5701
What are some ways of dealing with Samus missiles? I don't think it's realistic to consistently power shield them, so usually I try to out spam with ice blocks. The issue is that the ice blocks don't always break the missiles, and when that happens I take what seems to be a pretty bad trade. I'm also unsure of what spacing I need to have to stop the Samus from using missiles, while also avoiding the threat of down smash, because that's usually a free kill on Nana if it hits.
You can dair the missiles to break them, but it's not so easy because of the position of the dair hitbox and your hurtboxes. I'd guess that you could bair them too and possibly fair them, but fair is too slow imo. You can also hop over them, crouch under them, or jump to a plat to avoid them.

Gerardito

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone, these are a couple of questions that I haven't found an answer to, anywhere

a) How do I do down-throws from platforms without nana dropping? This is a handoff question, and I saw a Wobbles post recently regarding this topic, and he says there are two methods: to slightly tilt the analog stick (which I think is super hard to time), or to press R+A after you downthrow in order to regrab at a specific timing.

Does anyone know the sort of frame data/inputs required in order to do this R+A thing, so nana doesn't drop from ledge when down-throwing/regrabbing?

b) This one is rather basic, but couldn't find it anywhere: I have tried to do Jump Cancelled smashes out of shield, and the only one that works is the JC-upsmash. Is it not possible to do it with down smash or F-smash?

Thanks in advance

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, these are a couple of questions that I haven't found an answer to, anywhere

a) How do I do down-throws from platforms without nana dropping? This is a handoff question, and I saw a Wobbles post recently regarding this topic, and he says there are two methods: to slightly tilt the analog stick (which I think is super hard to time), or to press R+A after you downthrow in order to regrab at a specific timing.

Does anyone know the sort of frame data/inputs required in order to do this R+A thing, so nana doesn't drop from ledge when down-throwing/regrabbing?

b) This one is rather basic, but couldn't find it anywhere: I have tried to do Jump Cancelled smashes out of shield, and the only one that works is the JC-upsmash. Is it not possible to do it with down smash or F-smash?

Thanks in advance
So there's like 3 ways to do it.
Method 1 is to not tilt the stick far enough to make Nana squat.
Method 2 is to tilt the stick far enough to make Nana squat, but make the stick motion slow enough that she doesn't pass through the platform. Then shield grab or JC grab with Nana to cancel the squat.
Method 3 is to flick the stick down very quickly such that Nana enters squat but by the time she's thinking about passing through the platform the stick isn't being held down. This also has to have squat canceled with shield grab or JC grab.

The only smash that can jump cancel is Upsmash, so this is the only smash that can be done OoS.

Gerardito

Smash Rookie
Method 3 is to flick the stick down very quickly such that Nana enters squat but by the time she's thinking about passing through the platform the stick isn't being held down. This also has to have squat canceled with shield grab or JC grab.
First of all THANK YOU VERY MUCH, I couldn't find this information anywhere. Secondly, do you know the frame data for the third method? (which I quoted)

Top Bottom