• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble with Falco.

I probably use my shield too much since it seems to work very well against most other characters. I should note I'm still playing pretty low level. How do I deal around lazer->fsmash/ dair? I've tried to shield the lazer and jump out with an aerial, but I quickly learned that gets stuffed. Should I shield longer and try to shield grab the fsmash or dair? Wavedash back? Not shield at all?

Edit: Just read through the Matchup guide. So ya shielding isn't great and I shouldn't be scared of lazers because I can get hit and still attack with the other climber. If I can over come his lazer game and control the air with u-air I'll be fine. I prefer the marth/ falcon matchup tbh lol

Last edited:

SuperFangChan

Practice more.
Pretty much this is what I do a lot /watch?v=Vc2y6oYveGA

Shielding the laser then shield stun or upb OoS shield desyncs are pretty dope. If the Falco spams low lasers, short hop over them. Just don't worry about lasers--you're not gonna die if one touches you. They're not that damaging as long as you're doing SOMETHING about them.

You can also mess around on platforms, just remember ICs aren't too strong on platforms.

_Snover_

Frost Tree Pokémon
So last Friday, in my first match i played against a CF. I kept falling for really stupid stuff and it was really frustrating.

For example, he would just side B into my shield and I wouldn't be able to do anything due to shieldstun. He would still be able to continue attacking due to its low lag, so I got wrecked. He could then just send me into down throw -> knee and I got flustered and felt helpless. I went 1-2 in the set.

An issue I constantly also have is that I lose wobbles for what seems like no reason. What happens is that even though I feel I'm tapping at the right rhythm, Popo doesn't pummel, but Nana still ftilts, sending them out of the grab. Does anyone know why this happens? It happens really frequently and people just say "You need to work on wobbling, man." when I do know how to. This weird thing just happens 75% of the time.

If anyone could help I'd be extremely grateful.

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
So last Friday, in my first match i played against a CF. I kept falling for really stupid stuff and it was really frustrating.

For example, he would just side B into my shield and I wouldn't be able to do anything due to shieldstun. He would still be able to continue attacking due to its low lag, so I got wrecked. He could then just send me into down throw -> knee and I got flustered and felt helpless. I went 1-2 in the set.

An issue I constantly also have is that I lose wobbles for what seems like no reason. What happens is that even though I feel I'm tapping at the right rhythm, Popo doesn't pummel, but Nana still ftilts, sending them out of the grab. Does anyone know why this happens? It happens really frequently and people just say "You need to work on wobbling, man." when I do know how to. This weird thing just happens 75% of the time.

If anyone could help I'd be extremely grateful.
If Captain Falcon Raptor Boosts your shield you can always punish him (unless you are lightshielding). If he hits the front of your shield, wait a fraction of a second for the animation to end, and then grab him. Shield DI (tilting your shield towards him, or smashing forward during hitlag) gives you more leeway, but it's not necessary. If he hits the back of your shield, you can sh b-air, which sometimes leads into dash attack or a tech chase.

When you Wobble, make sure you keep the same rhythm throughout. I often mess up because I tap a few times too quickly at the very beginning, which throws off the rhythm. It sounds like they are breaking out just before the headbutt, which is why it looks like your f-tilt sends them out of the grab (really they are just breaking out before the f-tilt).

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Speaking of getting Nana to grab ledge, one non-upb OoS way I really like is dodge roll -> jump -> uair or bair. Just drift back and Nana will grab the ledge. It's a bit safer than making her air dodge over the ledge since 1. you're putting hitboxes out, and 2. she can just double jump if the opponent grabs the ledge first. Speedwise I don't think this is necessarily slower than upb Oos since you already have to position yourself in about the same way.
It's usually faster, this is what I use.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Video dump time.
Please feel free to add your input or point out anything I'm missing

(This is from a tournament a month ago)
Grand Finals: DerfMW IC vs Pistallion Marth

I'm not sure what to think of this set, game 1 was the exact same as in winners finals where we went to FoD, I played mad dumb and hella lazy, then I focused beat him 3 times. I think the end of the set got cut off, but I ended up 3 stocking him on BF. I don't care much about that game either because I remember feeling as though he got stuck in his own head by that point.

Game 2 on FD I started out pinned against the ledge, giving marth the entire stage. I think I panicked when I realized this and then tried to nanapult in a bad position, which resulted in nana dying pretty early on.

at about 6:30, I caught him focusing too heavily on nana, which marth tends to do in particular if he's in the air. I fsmashed him in the back of the head and he died. I'm not sure what I was going for that I messed up, which resulted in nana getting desynced from me and comboed, but it didn't hurt me too bad.

When he respawned I did some dumb stuff and tried to wall him while he was invincible. I really hate FD for this reason, because there isn't really anywhere for me to go against invincible marth. Once his invincibility ran out I was trapped close to the corner and my shield was too small to cover me. But he ended up messing up what he was going for and I took stage back.

A big problem I keep noticing is that I will have nana blizzard, then run in front of it as popo and just stand there. I get hit for this a lot, but it worked out for me at 6:58 because he whiffed his fair. I like baiting moves like this with my shield in front of nana, but if I just stand there it's usually pretty stupid.
I then set up a wobble and dropped it. That's just something I have to keep practicing in tournament.

at 7:24 I went for dthrow->sh dair->regrab, which is really bad on marth, and at that percent I probably could have done something else.

At 7:40 that was a super terrible roll and it looked accidental. I'm mad that he was expecting a roll there because I was definitely trying to wd OoS.

his last stock on FD I let myself get separated a lot by trying to set things up in weird positions. I ended up regaining control of nana and the stage, then just walled him into the corner correctly and killed him.

This game I really needed to focus on controlling the stage, pinning marth down both in the corner and on the ledge, and optimizing my punish game, because I dropped every wobble I went for.

game 3 on battlefield Early on I get lazy with my blizzard wall. He was right outside my range and I iceblocked, which is not the correct response to that position. I also went for a super thirsty grab right before that, but didn't get punished for it, so w/e.

When I got a grab, I did dthrow->nair and hit with the weak hit and couldn't get anything off it because of that. Technical error I need to practice.

I'm noticing myself accidentally rolling a lot when my shield gets hit. Need to practice timing things out of shieldstun more I guess. Part of it could have been the controller, since I don't think I actually do those rolls this often, and I was using a friends controller since mine broke, but still something I need to iron out.

Another thing I need to work on it not just doing super lazy fairs from the ledge. They suck unless I know he is going to try and dtilt in place and i'm invincible.

at around 10:30 I started getting stuck above him and panicking, then threw out laggy moves in neutral and lost nana for it.
I needed to just fall back for a second and make an opening instead of just running in.

I think I realized this while playing because immediately after, as sopo, I started playing a little safer and using a lot more ftilt.

after that I started playing smarter and stopped going in as stupidly. I started spacing around his dumb run off platform->dair too, because that isn't really a thing.

Game 3 I just played better and more efficiently. I don't have much to say about that one.

---

DerfMW ICs vs FMJ Peach (same tournament):

This is a player who gave me a fair bit of trouble this set (the first time I played him). I've played him a bunch since this set and I've figured him out pretty hard, but when we played here I was getting super tripped up by the way he played and how willing he was to take me to time.
I haven't rewatched the set yet, but I've already fixed a lot of the problems I remember running into here (namely punishing things like low floats, whiffing my punishes on dsmash, and ignoring my nana). But onto the analysis:

Game 1 is whatever. I don't care about this game much, I could have tightened up a lot of things. I went for two wobbles early on and dropped them, but it wasn't a big deal. Like I mentioned earlier, I left nana open a bunch, so that's something I've been fixing.
at 3:08 I started handoffing him and fsmashed at like 100%ish, it ended up killing, but I still had a lot of room and he was at enough percent to start adding blizzards and things, so I probably should have tacked on a little more percent to guarantee the kill, but he died anyway so it doesn't really matter.

game 2 at 6:30 that was the worst ledgehop fair I've ever seen. definitely should have invincible naired in that position.
One thing I forgot that I've actually been doing a lot more lately is punishing turnip pulls. It's easy for me to get tunnel vision on catching a turnip and doing dumb turnip tricks, but punishing the actual pull is a big deal and way better than anything you can do with a turnip.
This game I'm doing some weird stuff with just throwing out smashes. I think I'm trying to catch him for coming down, but I'm predicting and not reacting. There are also better things I could be doing instead.

Around 9:10 or w/e I'm just getting real thirsty for a kill and fishing way too hard. Panicking is no good, especially against more patient players.

When he pulled a beam sword I got dead set on getting it instead of just playing normally. That was just me being dumb and forgetting to be in tournament mode. But I really wanted to show off all my stupid beam sword combos.
Took way too much damage because of that.

I skipped over the rest of game 2 because I'm not all that interested in it and it was mostly just me fishing for things and dropping some stuff.

Game 3, I'm not sure I like the ps counterpick. I would have gone yoshi's but he banned it, I won game 1 on FoD so I couldn't go there, I think I should have gone battlefield, since I'm very comfortable on that stage in this mu, but I think I went stadium because of the lower ceiling and I wanted to use the platforms as guides as to what I should do to peach's float, which is dumb.
I feel like it was definitely a gimmick cp. I remember the transformations hurting me a bit because it just made the game take way longer.
I also just hate stadium and don't think it should be legal, so I don't even know what I'm doing here.

Game 3 I'm just playing super lazy. I let him get a lead early on, I'm giving him too much space in neutral, looking to catch turnips rather than punish the pull, leaving nana vulnerable, etc.

Also the smash4 kids talking in the background are irritating so I muted the video. Just a sidenote that has nothing to do with the game.

I don't have much to say about this one, honestly. I just see myself being slow on reacting to when he's coming down from float and misspacing uairs and bairs and stuff.

A ton of when went wrong for me in this set is just technical errors and not adapting properly as well as just panicking and fishing for stuff way too heavily.

---
[for later]
DerfMW vs Dizzkidboogie (KOTB $5 MM like a week ago)

Last edited:

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
Has there been a recent increase in the amount of IC players? Went to my first big-ish tournament yesterday, about 60 people, and there were 5 or 6 ICs. There were some comments by veteran ICs like "well now I've got to switch characters," "it was funner when I was the only ICs in my pool." There seems to be a sort of notion that IC's not only appreciate the uniqueness of their character, but the rarity of their character as well. I'm not adding to this cause since I'm only a 6-month climber main, but that's ok because I think more people should main ICs and I love IC dittos. Fun fact, the only matches I won in my pool were against ICs, 2 matches total lol.

I'm not sure what to think of the sentiment that IC's players like being the special stand-out person, it seems a little elitist. It would make more sense for a low-tier to have that kind of mindset. Is this sentiment prevalent, or have I just experienced a fluke? What do you guys think of the influx of new ICs?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I love the new wave of players. Im not entirely sure what caused it, im guessing wobbles/gyfycat, but its definitely cool.
Right now theyre all kinda bad, and it seems like all they really know how to do is wobble, but having a bigger player pool is a super good thing.
ICs have always kinda struggled with not having a huge pool to draw from, at the mid-level, there is very little varience in playstyles, and IC players just don't get a chance to interact with each other or share ideas as much,

On another, more important note, non-IC players have to play against ICs more, forcing them to learn the MU, which means we can't get by on gimmicks and other player's lack of mu experience, which is awesome for us because it forces us to actually develop the character and learn new things and not just be lazy about everything.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
hey guys new ic here, i didn't play that well in this match but i would appreciate any feedback or observations you notice. thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t6ogDUwEs8&index=2&list=PLo8NRG9HwurOQNFs0G8PTYuRWM_5XZySY
First thing I noticed, best color, best stage (kinda hard to learn against marth, so risky strike, but w/e). Good job for that.

Anyway, you got separated right off the bat. Gotta pay attention to spawn positions/port stuff. You were in port 1, so you could desync off initial spawn (works in ports 1 and 2), the marth was in port 4, so on yoshi's he spawns on the floor with stage control already.
I often like to help get around this by instantly ice blocking to interrupt his movement and allowing me to get off the platform (marth can get around this, so the best choice is to just opt for neutral start).

Nana ended up getting killed early on just because you got cornered and never really gained control of her.

you're approaching marth pretty predictably (wd dsmash or wd grab every time, in similar situations) and he's just jumping over it and intercepting you. You have to mix up how you approach with different options and by breaking your movement up every once in awhile (i.e. faking an approach, stopping right outside marth's range, etc.) If you know he's going to jump and fair if you wd at him, wd in and shield, then grab him.
Paying attention to how your movement influences your opponent is a big deal.

at 1:07 you kinda just let nana die. It looked like a missed input, but you did a similar thing first stock so I'm not sure. I recommend really practicing the nana rocket, because that's a fantastic way to save nana. You can also just jump out there and upB her or grab her with sideB, but those are a little riskier against marth.

at 1:22-ish, be careful going above marth. You seem to tend to do this when you get cornered. In general you want to avoid the corner against marth, but they are usually looking for you to go above. You didn't lose much for it here, but it can be really dangerous.

The biggest thing I'm seeing in game 1 at least is a lot of technical flubs and bit of a lack of control. There is a lot of wasted movement as well. If you can, try to put in a lot of solo-practice time focusing on movement instead of just fighting/comboing computers. Go into training mode (or single player glitch, thats what I do) and just work on moving around the stage with wd and wavelands and stuff. If you have 20XX you can just solo start. iirc, there is also a code that makes you flash when you are standing still, which is great for helping you recognize wasted frames.

Game 2 you start off getting stuck in your shield a lot, this is hard habit to break against spacies.
At 3:52, this is falco's typical separated IC thing. He started lasering nana, and you panicked and tried to just run at him so he turned around and fsmashed you. This is a kind of rough situation to handle, nana was probably dead if you didn't do anything, but you could have tried to do something to get him in a bad position, since he was trapped against the ledge. I like Ice blocks here, right outside of his fsmash range usually to be safe.
You can also use nana as bait in these situations as well, but the pay off isn't always worth it.

good save at 4:06.

at like 5:40-5:50 it looks like you're trying to predict how he's going to tech and stuff rather than just reacting to it.

Overall it feels like you just need to work on getting faster and being able to control your movement. Learning your basic combos is super important as well. A lot of your game right now is just approaching with a smash attack, then reseting to neutral.
This stuff just comes through solo practice time. Try putting in as much of that as you can.

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
So recently I've been having a lot of trouble against Falcon. In the last two tournaments I've been to I got knocked out by a Falcon each time.
This weekend I managed to get a best of 5 set recorded at a pretty small tournament's losers finals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeAdu8sC80A

The video is a full 20 minutes but if someone cares to watch you can see how I start being able to read his down air approaches (which he was spamming a whole lot) and intercept with uairs. The trouble is that when I hit one I don't really get much off of it and if I fail to intercept the Falcon gets huge damage on me and/or nana.

If anyone could suggest some decent follow ups out of uair that would be sweet and any other tips/analysis would be appreciated too.

I'm already aware that my edgeguarding was a bit dodgy and that I should definitely have been wobbling more.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
played my first ever ICs ditto in tourney today against the one and only @Shufu. did fairly well (will edit in the video link on youtube when it's uploaded), but in game 1 i had the lead and SD'd, and in game 2 i guess i was on tilt after that first game lol. overall i'd say i played the matchup fairly well and the only thing i'd say hindered me was i grabbed his popo at one point but as nana was still alive, i went for a bthrow rather than a wobble, which i should've gone for immediately probably idk.

anshin

Smash Rookie
thanks derf, gr8 advice i really appreciate it. i like how active you seem to be on the ic boards with giving out info and helping people. i'll try to contribute more as i get better. also, is anyone else the only ic player in their region? it seems like im able to get away with a lot of shieldgrabs and stuff i shouldn't be able to because people dont know the matchup well.

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
thanks derf, gr8 advice i really appreciate it. i like how active you seem to be on the ic boards with giving out info and helping people. i'll try to contribute more as i get better. also, is anyone else the only ic player in their region? it seems like im able to get away with a lot of shieldgrabs and stuff i shouldn't be able to because people dont know the matchup well.
I'm relatively new in the Washington scene, only been to two locals, and ICs are pretty scarce. I saw another guy playing them the first time I went, but he didn't show this month. Other than that, I'm the only one.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
been a part of the scene in the NE for the longest time now and i'm pretty much the only ICs up here. people always say "oh yeah i'd love to main ICs" and then go to like marth or sheik or something

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
no problem dude, knowledge is power. We all get better by sharing information, since we all interpret information differently.
You can learn from anyone, so feel free to contribute as much as you can, even if it feels trivial or obvious.

as for my region, I'm the only active IC in northern Ohio. There are a couple newer ICs that popped up, but they are still veeery new. I live in NEOH, which has a fairly combined community with Pittsburgh/Western PA, and I guess there are a couple ICs there that I just got to meet recently. I think they are also fairly new to the scene as well though.
Other than that I only ever see other ICs when I travel. There is one pretty decent IC in central ohio somewhere, but I almost never see him at anything (don't even know if he still plays, tbh).

So recently I've been having a lot of trouble against Falcon. In the last two tournaments I've been to I got knocked out by a Falcon each time.
This weekend I managed to get a best of 5 set recorded at a pretty small tournament's losers finals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeAdu8sC80A

The video is a full 20 minutes but if someone cares to watch you can see how I start being able to read his down air approaches (which he was spamming a whole lot) and intercept with uairs. The trouble is that when I hit one I don't really get much off of it and if I fail to intercept the Falcon gets huge damage on me and/or nana.

If anyone could suggest some decent follow ups out of uair that would be sweet and any other tips/analysis would be appreciated too.

I'm already aware that my edgeguarding was a bit dodgy and that I should definitely have been wobbling more.
I saw this yesterday, but didn't get a chance to watch until now, so here's what I can see:

Right off the bat, spawn positions yo. Port 2 is decent on a couple stages, but BF is not one of those. You get your go! desync, but you get stuck in a very dangerous position from the start (you don't gain anything being able to desync on the top platform anyway, and if your opponent is already p1, you don't have port priority no matter which port you are in). You didn't lose too much to it here, but it's a scary place to be. Especially against characters like falcon (fox is my least favorite). I've taken like 60% and lost my nana because of spawning up there before.
If you can't get port 1 on BF, always opt for neutral start.

first thing that really stands out to me, and it just something you get better at with time, you are making good use of your movement, but it's a little choppy at times. Particularly your ledgedashes, which you may be using a little too much (a common IC problem).

at 1:36 (your first death), this is just an awkward position to be in against falcon. When you used your double jump here, it limited the number of places you could be and he uaired and covered them all. Probably should have straight waited, which gives you the threat of double jumping, air dodging, or fast falling to the ledge if he jumped at you.

When you respawned, I have no idea why you are on that platform. A lot of people like to jump on platforms like idiots, but falcon is always just going to uair underneath you. I think you were trying to bait him into doing this while you were invincible and dsmashing his extended hitbox, but it didn't really work out for you and taking control of the stage probably would have been a lot better.
This lost you the small lead you did have, which forces you to have to approach falcon.

You already mentioned the dair approaches, so I won't go too into that, but just utilt or shield.
He is dairing a lot more than he should be, and it's wrecking your nana pretty hard.

at 2:05 good use of nana as bait.
but then that wd fsmash you went for was a little bit of an over extension, dsmash is faster and might have hit, but it looked like he sweetspotted, so it might have been better to just sit back a little bit and try and lock him on the ledge.
This gave him an opportunity to hit you offstage, then you kind of did a panic upB and lost nana.

At 2:27 going high over falcon is never safe. He just reacted to where you were going and uaired you.
you redeemed yourself at 2:39 by baiting him and using the actual invincible part of ICs ledgedash.

At this point I'm just going to say, overall, you should try to wall falcon a little more. It's hard for him to get around it due to how slow his moves are, so you can just cover the space he wants to come in at you very easily (watch for dj baits though).
Utilt and uair do this well.

Tbh, I'm not sure how great of a pick battlefield was. In general, I'm not a huge fan of it against falcon (although I prefer it to fd and dreamland). But the platforms are really good heights for him and the top platform can be irritating to deal with, even though he isn't really abusing it here.

at like 3:45-ish he just jumped and daired over your dsmash approach.
This is a big problem with dsmash (in this mu in particular), you have to mix up your approaches a little more. I a fan of mixing up utilts, up angled ftilts, and jabs against falcon. ftilt forces a knockdown and will sometimes catch him out of jump if he tries to space around utilt, utilt catches him out of jumping above you, and jab is great if you kind of wd through him and catch dash away or something.

around like 4:00-4:17ish you're just kind of freaking out and throwing out a bunch of smash attack and he's able to punish you for that. Don't under estimate the power of empty movement, especially when people are trying to keep you separated from nana.
A lot of times, you'll be able to save her just by threatening someone then reacting to what they do.
When you throw out smash attacks like that, you're locked in the animation and vulnerable, so they can either punish you directly or just secure the kill on nana.

I notice you go for a lot of dash attacks in neutral, and I don't think I've seen you hit with one yet.
Dash attack isn't bad, but I'd be a little more wary of the way you use it in neutral.

At 4:51 you could have punished that dsmash with WD OoS a little faster. It looked like you dropped your shield first, then wavedashed in, rather than jumping directly out of your shield.
When you jabbed you also didn't cancel with crouch fast enough for the jab->dsmash to connect, that was probably just a flub.

At 5:57 he sh daired over your dsmash approach again.

I only watched the first game so far, because it's really late for me right now, but I'll watch the rest later.
Right now I think the biggest things are to look at the way you approach and how he reacts to it.
You also ledgedash almost every time you are on the ledge, and ICs ledgedash kind of sucks since you're only invincible in the beginning, you didn't get punished for it very much, but it's something you should mix up a little more to be safe.
The other thing that really stood out to me is that I don't think I saw a single blizzard that entire game, which is a really important tool against falcon.

So yeah, hope that stuff helps, I'll watch some more tomorrow if I have time.

Out of curiosity, what does a double ICs team generally look like?
I've only seen it once, and that was when Nintendude and Chudat teamed together a few months ago. They managed to win the whole tournament, beating Cyrain and Tope in Grand Finals. It was really fun to watch.

Here's the set, if you're curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ulpi1iBLRE
I've talked about double ICs a couple times before, its a really interesting concept and I really don't think it's that bad of a team, just not many people can play it correctly (although I've actually seen chu play it a couple times), and some matchups are kind of hard for double IC to handle.

I liked the way chu and nintendude tried to keep control of center stage, but there are a lot of things they could have done a little better. The way double ICs works most effectively is when one IC goes in, the other walls the other opponent out. It's what it looked like they were going for by controlling center stage, but its kind of hard to do when there is a spacey on screen, so a lot of the time you have to just go in on the spacey really hard and wall out the other opponent if they are a character that doesn't handle the ICs projectile walls as well.

It also really helps to have an IC comfortable playing on platforms (which a lot of people aren't). This lets double ICs control a lot more vertical space since they can cover the holes in the other's projectile walls a lot better with proper positioning and stuff.

It requires a lot of awareness to be able to play the team correctly though, but I think double ICs is a ton of fun. It's definitely not the best team out there, but there are some ways to make it work.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
@ DerfMidWest DerfMidWest You seem to be a real knowledgeble player and an awesome analyst. I'm still new with IC's, and went to this Major a few months back.... Could i get you to help me out and throw over some advice for me?

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
@ DerfMidWest DerfMidWest You seem to be a real knowledgeble player and an awesome analyst. I'm still new with IC's, and went to this Major a few months back.... Could i get you to help me out and throw over some advice for me?
absolutely dude, if you have any videos or just general questions, feel free to ask and me or any of the other more experienced ICs on the boards will be happy to help out the best we can

Aight, part 2:

I'm a huge fan of the yoshi's counterpick in this mu. Falcon loses space, and the platforms work much better for ICs. You die a little faster, but that's alright because you gain way more out of the stage.

You got a raw usmash right at the start, if you'd reacted a little faster, you could have turned around and grabbed, you went for a tech chase instead, which is fine. At such low percent, I would have tried to follow up with a regrab, rather than a dsmash.
He happened to tech into an awful position by the ledge, effectively giving you the entire stage, and putting him in position to be handoffed had you went for a grab.
You were a little slow on your follow up here and didn't do a full wd, causing you to miss the dsmash. just a minor tech error, but fluid movement is always something that needs to be practiced.

after like 5:21, he started throwing out so many shffl dairs... it was weird since you and nana were not synced, but if you look at where he is going, you can cover this with things like utilt and wd back ftilt. Stuff like that. In situations like this, it's sometimes better to go in and pressure falcon so that he doesn't have free movement and control over the stage.

at like 5:40-47ish, good job adapting to his baits on your shield with dd grab.

Try to mix up your jab->dsmashes with jab->grab everyone in awhile (you go for jab->dsmash as pretty much your only approach). In general, I think you could go for a little more grabs than you are, but it's good that you're not really fishing for them. Mixing up jab->stuff is really useful though. You can also use the jab as a hit confirm. If it hits them, you can dsmash, if it hits a shield, you can grab.
I mentioned this before, but jab canceling is important for these kind of things.

at 6:01 you went for a dsmash on the platform again and just got uaired (again). be careful with those against characters who have aerials with good hitboxes up above them.

I think you're spending a little too much time in your shield (a big problem I have as well). Remember that, while you can shield out of most movements, when you sit in shield, you are not moving, and giving them control.
Most of the time, avoiding or outspacing moves is a better option than blocking them (depends though).

at like 6:35ish you're starting to use uairs like you were talking about, so good job with that.

at 6:48 you uaired him and he DIed to land on the platform, then missed the tech on it, which is an awful position.
Rather than going up there right away, unless you can get something like an iceblock reset, I prefer to use that as an opportunity to get directly underneath them then react to what get up option they choose. Usmash (in that position) with cover roll in, neutral get up, and get up attack. Then you can follow roll away with nair, fair, uair, bair, or iceblock which either pop him up, force him to land on the platform again, or hit him offstage.
(I love using iceblock hammer for combos in these situations, but uair or bair are probably the most optimal choices).

At 7:04 dtilt and ftilt are good options against falcon's recovery if he's coming from bellow you, but when he's coming from above like that, just grab ledge and react if he makes it on stage or drifts back to randall.

At 7:12, not sure about this sequence. Out of that particular grab, it probably would have been better to go for dthrow reverse dair->handoff stuff.
Dthrow-->usmash works, if you'd timed it a little better you could have just regrabbed out of the usmash, but the jab reset was a good reaction, but I'm not sure why you went for a dash grab after. Just grabbing out of stand would have made that wobble setup actually work, since you dash grabbed, nana went too far, and he mashed out before you could get the wobble going.

7:43 you reacted to his airdodge recovery and punished with dsmash, hitting him toward the stage. It didn't matter too much, since you managed to get the kill right after anyway, but just turning around and grabbing would probably have been a more profitable option.

You kinda got ****ed up last stock since you lost control of your nana, then he just did falcon things and killed himself (I thought you were dead when the uairs started coming out, tbh). The whole thing happened because you threw out a bad dsmash in neutral, then panicked and started shielding a lot.

After watching the second match, I have to say, you did a good job adapting with those uairs in response to his shffl dair approaches, but the big things that stand out to me are the fact that you are going for way too many dsmashes, a lot of which are in positions where you could be grabbing, and you're shielding way too much.
I think the yoshi's c/p was a really good choice, even if you kinda got messed up last stock, but a win is a win, so w/e.
In your position, had I lost, I would have gone straight back. Or to FoD, it's a Bo5, so no bans. Objectively, FoD works pretty much the same for you that yoshi's would in this mu.

I'm going to bed now, but I'll try to finish watching the set again eventually.

Last edited:

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
ok so i mentioned the ICs ditto i had with @Shufu not too long ago and though the vods haven't made it onto youtube yet, they're still on twitch for the moment: http://www.twitch.tv/underworld_asylum/b/649131040

the set starts at 3:46:30, enjoy!
Hey Skrull, I'm going to take a crack at critiquing your set. Sorry if that wasn't your intent when making your post, feel free to let me know and I'll wipe this message.

Anyways...

---Game 1---
03:46:34 - There really wasn't much you could do with that spawn, but in general trying to evade your opponent when they're set-up below you is what you should aim to do. Personally, I would have just called for a neutral start (which you should totally always do!) which would have avoided this unfortunate situation entirely.

03:46:44 - A little patience could have given you some good stage positioning here. After your opponent b-airs Nana off stage, he immediately went for the f-smash read, calling your approach. In general, I wouldn't try to outright punish an IC's b-air since auto cancelling it can yield results such as these. With that in mind, simply threatening the punish by wavedashing towards him but without the aggressive jump-in could have led to a punish on his missed f-smash.

03:46:52 - I'm going to assume you were trying to ledge-hog Nana here, but just took to long to make the decision. Personally, I think it was the right idea though, since Popo would not be able to punish it at all.

03:46:59 - Again, don't drop down onto your opponents. I would have personally tried to waveland backwards on top platform, but that could have been easily called out by your opponent. There really isn't a "best" option here, but IC's really can't challenge anybody with a falling d-air.

03:47:21 - Good patience; that got you an opening to separate the Climbers. You had a good launcher on Nana too, but unfortunately you didn't convert off of it. A b-air would have sealed the KO on her. I could see that you were waiting to punish Popo's recovery, but pound-for-pound, the KO on Nana is a more assured (albeit not as high of a reward) punish.

03:48:05 - Although you didn't get punished for it, coming back on stage with a d-air isn't a very solid option. I'd work on things such as waveland -> jab for a more practical recovery from ledge.

03:48:15 - If you ever find yourself grabbing Nana with Popo nearby, just throw her towards him. This will prevent any wavedash approach punish they can muster. If they're really close by, I'd just back throw her every time though, as all of the other throws are very slow and may not be able to punish an approaching Popo in time; at the very least, you may get them separated, but at that point it becomes more of a judgement call than anything.

03:48:39 - As soon as I see Popo stand up on platform, I'd b-throw Nana towards him. This covers a drop through platform wavedash approach, and is also fast enough to immediately shield afterwards if he wavedashes forward off of the platform to b-air you.

03:38:42 - Your grab game is looking better now. This is partially due to your patience and good calls/reactions to his movement.

03:49:45 - An unfortunate SD from your opponent, but you put yourself in a good position to win the match here. You got a good opening and separation by hitting both Climbers with each side of your b-air, but your timing was off with your f-smash. Notice your opponent's waveland though; as you can see, it really has amazing punish potential from ledge. Definitely take the time to learn it if you don't already.

Well that just about sums up some of the things I noticed from game one. Your IC's lean more towards a patient style, so I would recommend really focusing on your opponent's movement and watching for ways to shut down his approaches. You're movement is definitely looking better since the last time I watched one of your matches (man, that must have been months ago; time flies!) but it still could use a little refinement. You definitely have the fundamentals, but now you should start experimenting more with movement options. Honestly, I think that was the leading cause as to why you lost this game; your opponent just controlled the character better. No shame in that though, you still played very well and had just as much of a chance to win. Your conversions are a little weak too. Your grab punishes are good enough, but you dropped a lot of punish opportunities on Nana. Just trust yourself a little bit more, and don't worry too much about extending too far to secure the KO on Nana. If you don't lose your Nana and you don't die yourself, then the trade is almost always in your favor. Keep up the good work though!

---Game 2---
I'll drop by later tonight to critique this match; I got some homework and packing to take care of right now.

P.S. I swear I'll get that video critique thread started eventually...

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
P.S. I swear I'll get that video critique thread started eventually...
Yeah I think I'm just going to make that video critique thread now since this place is starting to get cluttered.

EDIT: I made the thread, I'm in the process of getting it stickied. I'll be continuing whatever on-going critiques i'm doing in there. Feel free to start posting whatever in there.

EDIT p2: The video thread isn't getting stickied because we already have a ton of stickied topics and if it's active, it should stay near the top, so please post videos there. I will respond to any videos posted here in that thread from now on. I did (FINALLY) get the hitbox/frame data thread stickied tho.

ok so i mentioned the ICs ditto i had with @Shufu not too long ago and though the vods haven't made it onto youtube yet, they're still on twitch for the moment: http://www.twitch.tv/underworld_asylum/b/649131040

the set starts at 3:46:30, enjoy!
My computer is slow af and has trouble loading twitch archives, but shoot me a link once it's up on youtube and I'll happily critique you.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
absolutely dude, if you have any videos or just general questions, feel free to ask and me or any of the other more experienced ICs on the boards will be happy to help out the best we can
Okay, no sodium to my opponent, but afterwards i couldn't help but feel defeated. anyways, here's the link to the video. If you can, please help me in any way that you can. Thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX6RvpqL5yQ

Last edited:

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Hey IC mains!

Have any of you experimented with pivot sh reverse ice block desynchs? I thought it could be a cool mixup after dashing away
e.g dash away, pivot short-hop (only nana short-hops), reverse ice block (so nana shoots the iceblock at the opponent and popo stays grounded doing nothing), and then you could run after it as popo in case your opponent shields it, (which is likely) and then you've got yourself a grab. Just an idea from a former IC main :)

Binx

Smash Master
Okay, no sodium to my opponent, but afterwards i couldn't help but feel defeated. anyways, here's the link to the video. If you can, please help me in any way that you can. Thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX6RvpqL5yQ
This is just what the match up looks like if the fox is better than you and knows the match up. Wobbles vs Mango looks just like that at EVO as well. Basically vs Fox you need to move in ways that allow you to outspace his nairs, you cannot let him run into you for free and you cannot let him jump between you with drills because the shines seperate.

If your punish game is really solid the match up is doable but its insanely insanely difficult if the fox is better than you. So basically if he dashes into you like that you can forward tilt or jab to intercept the run , if he jumps you can short hop uair, bonus points if you auto cancel it. If he ever commits to an aerial do your best to dash dance grab it or to get away from fox by shielding or something to buy time. Its all about having patience and getting 4 solid reads and getting a kill of each hit you get.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Hey IC mains!

Have any of you experimented with pivot sh reverse ice block desynchs? I thought it could be a cool mixup after dashing away
e.g dash away, pivot short-hop (only nana short-hops), reverse ice block (so nana shoots the iceblock at the opponent and popo stays grounded doing nothing), and then you could run after it as popo in case your opponent shields it, (which is likely) and then you've got yourself a grab. Just an idea from a former IC main :)
I have. It's hard to be 100% consistent at, so I'm still working on it, but it's much faster than most other desynch setups. Another thing I like to do is pivot -> jump -> blizzard; even if you miss the desynch timing, Nana will travel backwards a bit, so if you get hit by a projectile/weak aerial, Nana's blizzard might still trap the opponent.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Hey IC mains!

Yeah it's awesome I play around with this kinda stuff a bit.
Very situational (I'm actually not a fan of it in that particular situation because it requires them to not properly punish), but it has definite uses because of how quick it is.

I'm particularly interested in it as a response to an opponent landing (i.e. the ice block is underneath them as they land from an aerial), but on the ground you have similar issues to the standard ice block chaser (people can attack through, power shield bones you, etc)
A bit better in a lot of situations though since popo is already moving. Shileding out of dash is amazing when there is an ice block behind you.

But it has definite and practical uses, albeit situation. Very powerful tool to have.

Binx

Smash Master
Many many characters have a disjointed hitbox they can use in this situation to hit you and the iceblock at the same time Fox and Falco can nair through or reflect it, Marth can do anything, Sheik can probably fair it etc.

This next part is based off of my experience with spot dodge ice block => It is a nice mix up sometimes but its not as guaranteed as it seems, I feel like for it to have a chance of working at all you would have to be pretty close to the opponent since it moves so slowly. It could perhaps be used to create some frame traps where you could follow up with nana blizzards and stuff though, ice block react with popo or fair to fill the frames nanapult react with popo.

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
Will commentators ever quit going crazy about the most basic of IC stuff while completely missing the actually impressive desyncs.

The struggle, man.

cemo

white walker
I have. It's hard to be 100% consistent at, so I'm still working on it, but it's much faster than most other desynch setups. Another thing I like to do is pivot -> jump -> blizzard; even if you miss the desynch timing, Nana will travel backwards a bit, so if you get hit by a projectile/weak aerial, Nana's blizzard might still trap the opponent.
How consistent are you at it? I think it'll also be important to hit the desync with fullhops (fullhop blizzard, fullhop ice block) as we don't have a lot for the area it covers. Some silly things you can do is have nana full hop and aerial onto a platform which is... questionable, but I think might come in handy.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
How consistent are you at it? I think it'll also be important to hit the desync with fullhops (fullhop blizzard, fullhop ice block) as we don't have a lot for the area it covers. Some silly things you can do is have nana full hop and aerial onto a platform which is... questionable, but I think might come in handy.
If I sit down and practice it for a while, I can probably get up to 60%? Not anywhere near where it should be for competitive play, but I still attempt it because pivot -> jump -> synched Blizzard is good in it's own right.

Anyone know the reasoning for Nana's "Moonwalk" dash attack?
Nana tends to only move in the direction that Popo is facing (with a few exceptions), so if Popo turns around in the middle of her dash attack, she moves backwards.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
so cool thing with pivot jabs.
Since pivot jab will make nana dash attack while popo jabs, this acts as an oddly good (albeit situational) defensive option.
I've actually been using it as an anti-air for low aerials like fox's shffl nair at certain spacings.
Since pivot jab combined with the dash attack covers a surprising amount of space and keeps popo safe, you can get a lot out of it.
Although sometimes nana will trade with people, you can still get a punish with popo which is nice.

just a little thing I felt like mentioning.

SHIP

Smash Apprentice
so cool thing with pivot jabs.
Since pivot jab will make nana dash attack while popo jabs, this acts as an oddly good (albeit situational) defensive option.
I've actually been using it as an anti-air for low aerials like fox's shffl nair at certain spacings.
Since pivot jab combined with the dash attack covers a surprising amount of space and keeps popo safe, you can get a lot out of it.
Although sometimes nana will trade with people, you can still get a punish with popo which is nice.

just a little thing I felt like mentioning.
Someone told me about this like 2 months ago but I sucked real bad at pivoting so I stopped practising it. It is super cool though.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Someone told me about this like 2 months ago but I sucked real bad at pivoting so I stopped practising it. It is super cool though.
I've been doing it for awhile, because I love pivot jabs, but for the last month or two I've started using it for applicable things.
I've done some goofy lil combos with it too, but there are usually better things you could be doing in those situations. Still cool tho.

Top Bottom