• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social General Ice Climber Chat

Absolome

Smash Cadet
Oh hey a little thing I keep forgetting to ask. Sometimes while in a grab, if I f-smash with Nana, even when it's charged, the enemy doesn't get hit out of the grab. Does anyone know what exactly causes that? Fly I've seen you use it in handoffs before but it seems to happen randomly for me.

cemo

white walker
It probably has been staled or something.
Outspace Falco's aerial approach with a dd grab, but upair is usually pretty good vs dair if you get the right position.

TheRealFluid

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

A yoshi player just moved into my local scene and he's pretty good relatively speaking (places top 10 in 50 man locals). Chances are, I'm probably going to play him in tournament, and I want to be prepared for him. That being said, can I have some advice against the modern yoshi? The old matchup guide is kind of outdated in that section.

Smog

Smash Journeyman
So I was at my local tourney yesterday and I was doing good first round. I got a bunch of wobbles and didn't really drop any of them. The 2nd game I just couldnt start the wobble. Could it because of input lag on TVs? I don't have a box tv I have a crappy not HD LCD. It could have all been in my head though.

OddishGuy

Smash Journeyman
So I was at my local tourney yesterday and I was doing good first round. I got a bunch of wobbles and didn't really drop any of them. The 2nd game I just couldnt start the wobble. Could it because of input lag on TVs? I don't have a box tv I have a crappy not HD LCD. It could have all been in my head though.
Lag on TV's shouldn't mess up the muscle memory/rhythm of wobbling. However, lag does mess up reactions, so you may have not been starting the wobble off of grab confirm as soon as you could and your opponent got out.
At least that would be my guess. When you say you couldn't start the wobble are you saying they mashed out before the first tilt or you were making input errors?

FlamingForce

Smash Journeyman
A couple of questions

1. How do you deal with fox's running shine approach?

2. How do you fight falco in the neutral game? I always get caught by something be it lasers, shine, dair, any of his usual stuff. I tend to get locked down by lasers and not sure how to get out of them or what to even try to get out of them. I don't have a good grasp on how to deal with the lasers..What should you be focusing on when facing a laser-happy falco?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Lag on TV's shouldn't mess up the muscle memory/rhythm of wobbling. However, lag does mess up reactions, so you may have not been starting the wobble off of grab confirm as soon as you could and your opponent got out.
At least that would be my guess. When you say you couldn't start the wobble are you saying they mashed out before the first tilt or you were making input errors?
So I would get it started and they would mash out. My rhythm must have been off. Sometimes they mashed out in the middle, and I also messed up the finish like 3 times. Its just weird because I was doing it fine 1 game, and the next, I just couldn't. I also charged f-smash a few times which was really annoying. My gamecube controller has a really loose stick. It goes back and forth if you move it at all

Also does anyone know some good classical music at 200 BPM?

Last edited:

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Entered my first local today, lost to a Marth/Fox out of the gate, barely beat a Fox (mostly with wobbling) then got wrecked by a Jigglypuff. I had a good time, and enjoyed the learning experience. Anyone got tips for a newbie Ice Climber?

Last edited:

Smog

Smash Journeyman
Entered my first local today, lost to a Marth/Fox out of the gate, barely beat a Fox (mostly with wobbling) then got wrecked by a Jigglypuff. I had a good time, and enjoyed the learning experience. Anyone got tips for a newbie Ice Climber?
Its hard to work with just this. What were you strengths/weaknesses? What did you have trouble with? What did you do well? Or go to the match-up thread and look at the match-ups and compare your matches to the info there.

Not a wobbling opinion post.
On another note I think I'm gonna stop wobbling, at least for a long time. At my local I played my first match against someone, and I wobbled them a bunch. They got mad like everyone does and it didn't really bother me at the time, but I keep thinking about how they literally hated me while playing me. I'm sure later on they realized how "lame" they acted, but then I got sent to losers and got beat by someone who didn't even appear salty or angry to me while playing them, but later came and apologized for how they acted which literally confused me. So now I am thinking people hate me even more than I think while playing them.

The I began thinking about why I play smash, which is to have fun. I have only been to 3 tourneys, and none of which I've gone to in hopes of winning, or even getting far into the bracket. So for now while I'm still an "intermediate" player I'd rather work on other aspects of my game play. When I watch nintendude play I usually see a somewhat campy icey waiting for a grab, and I realized thats how I play. When I watch fly, I see 2 ****** foxes wearing blue and pink with hammers that just combo all over people. (I hope neither of you take offense, you both are really good and how you play makes you win). For now I wanna be a somewhat aggressive ice climber that people enjoy watching. Watching any icey combo, or even chain grab is really awesome to watch.

Back to what I was saying before though, everyone I played didn't enjoy me wobbling. I realize nobody enjoys losing and stuff, but I don't want people to literally hate playing me because I choose something I don't have to do. The only reason I would wobble is to win, but its not like winning my first round in winners means I win the whole tournament. I still think wobbling is fair and stuff, but I can't stop thinking about how much the one person hated me, even 2 days later almost. I also realize that chain-grabs are super flashy and cool, yet people still respect you. If there is one thing I strive to be, its the person that people watch to see what crazy combo they are gonna pull off next.

tl:dr
I'm not gonna wobble.
People don't like me when I wobble
I still think wobbling is fair and you should do it if you like it
I'm gonna work on chain-grabs and combos now because people will respect me more.

Last edited:

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Its hard to work with just this. What were you strengths/weaknesses? What did you have trouble with? What did you do well? Or go to the match-up thread and look at the match-ups and compare your matches to the info there.
lol Ya, I kind of realized that was a stupid question after I wrote it last night, but I was so tired after the event I didn't really care. Overall, I think my biggest problem was that I found myself shielding too often. Many opponents I had got in, quickly applied pressure, and I felt helpless. Falco was arguably the hardest for me. I didn't know how to deal with the lazers, ended up just blocking them, and he ran a train over me. Are there reliable ways to escape situations of heavy pressure? If not, how can I apply that kind of pressure to my opponent as IC's? As for your sentiments on wobbling, I understand where you're coming from. Personally, I only wobbled in tournament/money matches. I go for regular handoff or chaingrab setups in friendlies. My opinion is that if the set matters, I'm going to do what I can to win. In any other situation there isn't any reason to make my opponent angry, and developing my other IC skills is easier if I don't focus on the wobble. Of course, as you said, wobbling isn't neccessarely needed. Fly Amanita is proof of that, but it sure makes things easier especially in certain matchups like Peach. While it is easy to say people should understand you will do what you can to win when it counts, that isn't always the case. Just do whatever makes you happy, no point in playing the game if you aren't enjoying it.

Last edited:

Absolome

Smash Cadet
if you're facing away from puff (which I've found is how you want to be most of the time against here), you can get the backwards hit of upsmash which has a pretty large hitbox right where she'll be floating after a SH aerial. If you can bait something out and WD OoS into an upsmash you can kill her pretty quickly on stages with smaller ceilings. The up smash is pretty laggy though so you can't just throw it out constantly.

Work on being able to wavedash as well as your hands can possibly do it, the faster you can wavedash and the closer to perfect distance you get on each one, the more threatening your movement options are

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
On the other hand some people just cannot get it down, there's a local ICs player here who never wobbles because he can't do it consistently so it's not the best grab punish for him to go for. And of course there's also Fly :p
talking about me? :shyguy:

Last edited:

Cervidae

Smash Apprentice
What kind of DI is required to get out of the downthrow -> down air chain grab? I tell people that I play that it's possible to get out of, but funnily enough I don't know how. Do you just DI away from the Climbers? And if so, does this prevent the reverse down throw -> dair chain grab (where Nana jumps forward and dairs, putting the opponent behind you)?

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I know this is probably known already
How does Nana's movement work when you back throw with Popo? Sometimes she goes with where you throw, sometimes she goes backwards. I've gotten a few back throws to regrabs. It seems like at a low percent if you get a grab and are facing away from the edge you can backthrow and regrab and have Nana throw them off the stage and then edge guard. Probably super DI dependent though. I've only tried it on Fox and Falco though. Also if she pummels you can just go into a hand-off.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
When you're throwing with popo, and nana isn't busy, she'll move like she normally does (keep in mind she can't pivot)

There are a lot of tricks with bthrow at low percents, particularly on spacies.
The one I think you're talking about I've heard be referred to as "backtracking" in some video I watched a few years ago.

You can also just straight regrab spaceys with popo if nana bthrows at lower percents if you're in the right position.

As a whole, bthrow is very interesting to me, and I like playing around with the movement tricks you can do from it, but most of them are pretty unreliable or just difficult to execute in real play.
DI also makes things complicated.

Vanitas

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

A yoshi player just moved into my local scene and he's pretty good relatively speaking (places top 10 in 50 man locals). Chances are, I'm probably going to play him in tournament, and I want to be prepared for him. That being said, can I have some advice against the modern yoshi? The old matchup guide is kind of outdated in that section.
Yoshi is actually a difficult matchup for ICs as demonstrated with Fly Amanita, Nintendude and ChuDat all having difficulty with it. In my scene, we have a very strong Yoshi player that places top 5-8 in our locals so I have some experience.

After some analysis here is what I came up with:
Bo3 sets = Ban Yoshi's story no matter how comfortable you feel on this stage. The closeness of the platforms give Yoshi so much speed in movement it's ridiculous.
Strong stages = Our strong stages would be Dreamland, Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium (generally stages with a lot of room or ones that limit platform movement)
Weak stages = Yoshi's strong stages would be Battlefield and Yoshi's story.
Neutral = Fountain of Dreams

Here are some notes I can think of:
-One thing to keep in mind in neutral is that Yoshi has an aerial grab so remaining in shield is definitely not safe in contrary to some other matchups.
-What I like to do is blizzard or Ice Block camp when I have the space to do so and intercept platform approaches with uair.
-Yoshis LOVE their downsmash and it is something you have to respect. The moment Yoshi corners your Nana off stage, he will most likely go for a Dtilt -> Fair. If he sees you coming to help Nana trying to jump back, he will most likely downsmash to cut off Nana as well as hitting behind him to cut you off.
-Yoshi also like the use of their downtilt. If you can whiff it, try a Fair to hit him out of it.
-Bair is great in this matchup for edgeguarding. It cuts Yoshi's armor relatively early and during the moments when it doesn't, you can still follow up with a downsmash. Sometimes what I like to do is when I notice Yoshi coming back, I follow his jump to Bair them.
-Yoshis love to air dodge onto the stage when their recovery might not be able to make it, so always keep an eye on that.
-Their only other mixup in recovering is egg roll (side B). If you have impeccable timing, I think you can grab them out of it. If you don't feel safe to do so, a blizzard or Ice Block will reset neutral.
-Sopo has a CG from maybe 0-20%. If you can punish Yoshi from Egg laying Nana, you can continue this until she re-syncs with you and start a wobble/grab combo from there. A decent grab combo would be the classic dthrow-usmash-uair-uair/bair.
-CGing with both Climbers, I tend to do dthrow-dtilt to rack up some percent if they are not sync'd.
-Sopo has a very difficult time in this matchup.
-Yoshi's also love to CC as they are a heavy dinosaur. Limit your jabs, but definitely use it as a mixup.
-Abuse the fact that Yoshis also love to shielddrop in this current meta. When you get them on a platform, you can sometimes fake a jump and then waveland onto their platform right beside them and grab them.

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
I have a strong rivalry with another local player, and we had a MM today. Suddenly he reveals that he developed a secret Peach. He claims it wasn't for this, but no one believes him. I'm just really frustrated, and needed to vent, sorry guys. Ugh.

cemo

white walker
I'm usually pretty happy when people try to get me with pocket peaches, because I get the opportunity to make them look silly.

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
I'm usually pretty happy when people try to get me with pocket peaches, because I get the opportunity to make them look silly.
Yeah, I should've been able to beat him easily, I've beaten better Peaches. I was in a bad mindset after a PM match, and it just made me more frustrated. No johns though, he beat me, and now that I've had more time to think, I know what to do next time.

Genghis_Connor

Smash Cadet
NNID
Genghis_Connor27
3DS FC
4356-1827-2712
Pocket Peaches are the one kind of people who I'm legit happy to wobble for four stocks. You can't just pull out a "hard counter" to my character and expect it to auto win when the only thing you actually know about the matchup is that Peach supposedly wins.

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
LOL, Peach is definitely an auto win against me. Tell your three year old sister to keep down smashing and I will invariably lose. It kind of sucks.

R.I.P.

Smash Cadet
I'm probably not one to give tips, but I just make sure to do the inputs very fast. If you up and then b with some lag it does the full upB.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Hey, was wondering what Throw to smashes work?

I've been trying to go from downthrow to downsmash and i think that works,

but down throw to upsmash doesent want to work as much, anyone help me out?

Thunderfang747

Smash Journeyman
Hey, was wondering what Throw to smashes work?

I've been trying to go from downthrow to downsmash and i think that works,

but down throw to upsmash doesent want to work as much, anyone help me out?
I like doing up throw to up-smash it works pretty well on most characters. Down throw to F-smash works too.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I don't think yoshi actually is a counter to ICs.. He just has tools that are irritating and you have to play very different.
I will also gladly take yoshi's to story. He can egg to cover the stage and he combos on the platforms and every yoshi has tricks but ICs are still broken there.
I do prefer FoD sometimes, but I've never had a problem on yoshi's once you get used to yoshi's options on the stage.

In regards to solo upB OoS, I only hit the stick up halfway, but I never use solo upB anymore because I think there are usually better things you can do instead

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Yeah, it's just a weird match-up that's difficult to get relevant experience in. I don't mind YS at all, either. I'd avoid DL or possibly BF against Yoshi, if anything.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
as long as you can take yoshi to a big stage or if you manage to strike to FD you're fine. one of our pm yoshi's who's best in the country is actually converting to melee yoshi and he seems to be pretty good so i'll be able to obtain matchup knowledge from him

Smog

Smash Journeyman
So today I was messing around with the slide desync or whatever its called, and tried to do it, but didn't turn around after the first adash and then used blizzard and only Nana did it, they may have been desynced already but I don't think they were. It was like running forward flicking the stick back and then blizzarding, and it seemed like just running and only 1 blizzarded.

I may have figured it out? If you dash in 1 direction and wait then dash in the other, they both stay together and only Nana blizzards. This may not be what it is though...

Nevermind, I don't even know lol.

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
So today I was messing around with the slide desync or whatever its called, and tried to do it, but didn't turn around after the first adash and then used blizzard and only Nana did it, they may have been desynced already but I don't think they were. It was like running forward flicking the stick back and then blizzarding, and it seemed like just running and only 1 blizzarded.

I may have figured it out? If you dash in 1 direction and wait then dash in the other, they both stay together and only Nana blizzards. This may not be what it is though...

Nevermind, I don't even know lol.
This could be a couple things.
The first one that comes to mind is just a dash dance desync.
You could also be using a pivot desync, which is what I'm thinking.

Pretty much you inputted a dash behind you and managed to hit blizzard while nana was slow turning and popo was in initial dash, which seems like a very tight window, but we fnd all the most difficult stuff by accident

Smog

Smash Journeyman
I can't seem to get the short hop d-air chaingrab consistently. Or even hardly at all. I either down smash because short hopping with Nana seems so hard, or I full hop.

Samwisely

Smash Apprentice
Any tips for the pivot desync? I've been in the lab on it for a while now, but it stills seems pretty random for me to get the timing down. My biggest problem is just getting the pivot off itself, so pivot ice block, pivot c-stick, etc.

cemo

white walker
The standing frame (where you make the input with the c-stick) is the frame after you input the dash dance.
So you input the dash on frame 0, frame 1 you are in the standing frame and can do a pivot move.

I don't think you can pivot ice block really. You can do an empty pivot and then ice block. Nana will do a little dash back and turn around, she won't pickup the ice block input.

Last edited:

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
I don't think you can pivot neutral-B in Melee (not sure why, just is what it is). You can however pivot -> jump. If done correctly (jump input on the same frame you pivot), only Nana will jump, after which you can have her shoot an ice block. blizzard etc.

cemo

white walker
The pivot jump is done by jumping and dashing on the same frame, instead of 1 frame apart. So the timing is slightly earlier (and it's harder)
Going into the pivot state just seems to take priority over jumping.

For a while I thought that was weird, but then I considered the case of pressing a + b at the same time, obviously you can do only one. There are probably other desyncs where you could input 2 buttons and get a desync, depending on which buttons/states take priority.

Last edited:
Top Bottom