• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Final Fantasy Discussion - Final Fantasy XII remake incoming!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, all I've heard about X-2 was how fun the battle system was. Although I heard the story was bad.

For those that didn't know, this is Toriyama's first Final Fantasy as the sole director. Take that as what you will.
I honestly feel like FF games do their best when you have at least two people keeping each other in check instead of one director.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
So far, there hasn't been a main series Final Fantasy or spin-off I have played and said "this game sucked". Honestly, I like every game in the series, including even Mystic Quest.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really didn't care for Mystic Quest, I found it too simplified to really hold my interest. Although one thing I really liked from that game was house monsters visibly take damage. I would love to see Square put that into another FF.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Mystic Quest serves as a beginner's RPG, and to that extent, it accomplishes just that; introducing American players to what was once a rather uncommon genre. The thing I enjoyed the most from that game was the music. I still remember several tracks by heart, despite not having played the game in a decade and a half.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Not SE related but RPG related:

I stumbled upon Tera randomly... I forgot it went F2P ._.

Now I'm waiting for it to install D: omg it looks so fun. Hopefully this will keep me busy while FFXIV is still in beta, and probably only open on weekends -.-

finalark

SNORLAX
Mystic Quest serves as a beginner's RPG, and to that extent, it accomplishes just that; introducing American players to what was once a rather uncommon genre. The thing I enjoyed the most from that game was the music. I still remember several tracks by heart, despite not having played the game in a decade and a half.
You're forgetting that Americans basically invented the damn genre. If you were a PC gamer in the 80s/90s RPGs were incredibly common. We didn't need a dumbed down JRPG to "get" RPGs. Frankly, FF has never really been hard to get into in the first place.

But I will admit the music was pretty good.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Liking tera so far, except for one part... I have to use the keyboard for all of my attacks D: I'm so used to clicking them with the mouse that it's very awkward for me atm. :S

Oh, I'm used to Korean MMOs so no worries there, lol.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought TERA looked really nice, but I never tried it. I refuse to play any game that requires monthly payments. Not even playing WoW anymore

finalark

SNORLAX
Square actually posted a new game play video for FFXIV, it shows off a few of the regions on both the PS3 and the PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ87KtH1G8

EDIT: From what I've seen it looks like the PS3 version of the game suffers from major frame rate issues and all of the textures look very unfinished. I hope they fix this before launch.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Square actually posted a new game play video for FFXIV, it shows off a few of the regions on both the PS3 and the PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ87KtH1G8

EDIT: From what I've seen it looks like the PS3 version of the game suffers from major frame rate issues and all of the textures look very unfinished. I hope they fix this before launch.
I doubt they'll fix it to a point where I'll be satisifed. Especially when they're probably developing a PS4 version.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Got an email with all the info. It is August 27, and it will also be shown at E3 this year.

They also gave a cool iPhone wallpaper in the email :p

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm not big on MMO's to be honest, especially not enough to pay for a subscription.
Game looks fun though.

Hopefully they'll have a free trail when the game comes out so people can try the game before the commit to it.

There will be an open beta before the game launches if you want to give it a shot.

finalark

SNORLAX
I figure I might as well post this up, but EU and US box art for the game have been revealed.

US Box art: https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/942387_10151668603870871_597915792_n.jpg

EU Box art: http://cdn2.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/A-Realm-Reborn-Box-Art-660x660.jpg

IMO EU Box >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> US Box. The US box is kind of... generic.

Also, if you pre-order the game you get early access and some vanity items. Also worth noting is the collector's edition, which comes with a alternate box art, an art book, a CGI film (I assume it's a compilation of CGI trailers), the OST, art cards a security token and some in-game items including the warrior of light's helm, an exclusive mount, pet and armor for your chocobo. Details on that can be found here: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
They had me at behemoths and soundtrack. O.O

*plans to preorder*

my God it's expensive... $70.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
You're forgetting that Americans basically invented the damn genre. If you were a PC gamer in the 80s/90s RPGs were incredibly common. We didn't need a dumbed down JRPG to "get" RPGs. Frankly, FF has never really been hard to get into in the first place.
You have to ask yourself how many PC gamers were there in the 80s and 90s, especially with the vast majority of gamers being kids who only owned consoles as opposed to PCs (I've never met a PC gamer throughout my childhood). Given how uncommonly played RPGs were on consoles, especially for 80s and 90s kids, Mystic Quest was a rather good stepping stone.

finalark

SNORLAX
They had me at behemoths and soundtrack. O.O

*plans to preorder*

my God it's expensive... $70.
That's actually not that bad seeing how many collector's editions tend to go for 100+ dollars.

You have to ask yourself how many PC gamers were there in the 80s and 90s, especially with the vast majority of gamers being kids who only owned consoles as opposed to PCs (I've never met a PC gamer throughout my childhood). Given how uncommonly played RPGs were on consoles, especially for 80s and 90s kids, Mystic Quest was a rather good stepping stone.

I see Mystic Quest as incredible unnecessary, it's really not that hard to "get" JRPGs and I don't think we needed a dumbed down version of one to make the genre popular.

Different strokes, however.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I see Mystic Quest as incredible unnecessary, it's really not that hard to "get" JRPGs and I don't think we needed a dumbed down version of one to make the genre popular.

Different strokes, however.
In hindsight, yes, it's unnecessary, especially today seeing as games everywhere tend to have some sort of RPG element.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
Been having tons of fun with Tera. I can't rememeber the last time I lost so much sleep over an MMO. It's very well done and not P2W at all.

Love being a Mystic :D (Though everyone is warning me it will be hell later D: )

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Are you playing on the PvE or PVP server?

I was on the PvP and I remember that there was this bridge I had to cross, and there was a high level player standing there to kill all teh n00bs. So I realized I could just switch channels.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
I have a Final Fantasy oc of my own that my friend on DA drew if anyone wants to see her.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Been having tons of fun with Tera. I can't rememeber the last time I lost so much sleep over an MMO. It's very well done and not P2W at all.

Love being a Mystic :D (Though everyone is warning me it will be hell later D: )
As my friend put it:

"Sure, Mystics are fun...until you realize they don't scale well with gear."

Smooth Criminal

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just saw the Japanese box art for ARR, and I love it (I don't really like NA's or EU's boxart at all).

I definitely understand why it's not on EU's and NA's cover since it's not very suited for Westernized tastes. I do like Akihiko Yoshida's art though. Also just noticed that the US boxart doesn't even have the Amano logo art either.

Bigger version's here: http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/91-PL-ASerL._AA1500_.jpg

finalark

SNORLAX
I definitely understand why it's not on EU's and NA's cover since it's not very suited for Westernized tastes
Westernized tastes = boring. The Japanese cover is exploding personality while the NA cover is literally a dude with a sword. Hell, if I was your average run of the mill dude who was only passively into gaming then ARR's US box art would literally be indistinguishable from every other RPG featuring a dude with a sword on the cover.

At least the EU box art gives the impression that you're going on an adventure with a constant evil looming over you, rather than just having a dude with a sword on the cover. TBH I'm sad that the NA box art lacks the logo.

finalark

SNORLAX
*doublepost/bump*

For anyone who cares, I've decided to make the OP even more fancy by updating the banner into the logo of whatever the most recent/upcoming main series/big-name FF is.

Top Bottom