• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General Collecting/Recent Pick Ups Thread - Read OP Before Posting Pics

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Welcome to the Smashboards Collecting/Recent Pick Ups thread.

Feel free to talk about or share pictures of whatever hobby you're passionate about, be it: Gaming, Movies, Trading Cards, Comics/Manga, Books, Toys, Stamps, Coins, etc.

Just keep in mind the following things before posting:
  • Be careful when posting pictures. For privacy, you may want to keep certain aspects hidden. Pictures are also subject to Smashboards' Terms of Service, so no inappropriate content or censor dodging. Ex. Showing off an explicit Record/CD.
  • Please crop images, use Collapse/Spoiler tags, or leave as attachments/links to your post prior to posting images/media. Be courteous to other users.
  • This thread is not an excuse for posting media-only content (Spam Infractions can be handled out). The hunt is often the best part of collecting. Stories are highly encouraged. What got you into collecting such and such? Can you explain what this means to you? What tips for others do you have?
  • Feel free to use the Arts and Creativity board for showing off personal pieces.
  • This thread is also not an excuse to advertise one's services or business.
  • Elitism is not allowed. Period. Don't talk down about others or what they have to share.
Basic Collecting Advice:
  • Not everyone is in the same economic or space situation. Try to avoid comparing yourself to others. You are not a lesser person for not having something and it's important to not let your collection be the only thing that defines you as a person.
  • Rarity/Price ≠ Sentimental Value.
  • Consider your priorities. If you are struggling to pay for food/housing/utilities, best to skip out on something you don't need. Don't be spending money you don't have.
  • Sharing Digital Collections are a bit harder to do, but are welcome. Again watch out for personal info if you take screen caps.
  • Take your time when collecting. The hunt is often the best part and a lot of collectors who acquire things in rapid succession are generally the first ones to burnout and exit the given hobby first.
  • DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE PURCHASING SOMETHING. As someone who's lost money in the past, often due to my own ignorance, I can't stress this enough.
  • Hording is not the same as collecting. If you're running out of space, having a hard time with up-keeping, or are having a hard time letting go of something, it may be best to take a time out or seek help.
Please have fun. :)

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm not much of a collector, but I do like to hold onto the things I have. Funnily enough though, I do have a factory sealed Chibi Robo copy. Never even played the game, nor do I even care about the series, but there you go.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
My friend got me into collecting toys/plushies. I have a PaRappa plushie ordered that's on the way right now, and soon enough I plan to buy a PaRappa, Lammy, and Rammy Medicom Toy once I have the money for it. Hopefully people don't snag them from me on Ebay. They're a bit pricey with them being around $70s to $110s, but the sentimental value they'll have once I get them will easily outweigh its hefty price.

After that, I don't really know what toys or plushies I plan to buy. Maybe official ones of the Pokemon protagonists. Red, Ethan, Brendan, Dawn, Hilda, Nate, Serena, and Elio are the ones I'm planning to get. Some of them have already been made, while others I have no idea if they even plan to make them. Time will tell.

Although I'm not into trading cards anymore, I still have a Pokemon Trading Card box case from Diamond and Pearl from my elementary school days. There are also Yu-Gi-Oh! Cards in them. I used to really be bad at Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I suppose I still am, but I did whatever I could to fit in, I guess. They don't have much sentimental value to me, but I don't think I'm going to sell them anytime soon. I don't know who would even take them off my hands.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Went on a collecting binge over the past week and spent a bunch of gift cards I had laying around.

Super Mario Maker 2
Blade Strangers
Umihara Kawase Fresh! (Actually picked it up a few days before release due to a store accidentally putting it out early :grin:)
Mario Kart DS
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Tetris DX (As a gift for a relative in the hospital)

Also got my CE copy of Game Tengoku Cruisinmix Special from Limited Run Games in the mail. It's HUGE, but it's worth it for the on-disc DLC and physical extras. Jaleco is one of those B/C tier Retro Developers, but their legacy company City Connection has done a lot of amazing work in bringing new life to old Japanese properties, especially through their Clarice Disk series of OSTs.

Am excited for the rest of this month to pick up Marvel UA3, FE Three Houses, and the next round of Amiibo.

After that, I don't really know what toys or plushies I plan to buy. Maybe official ones of the Pokemon protagonists. Red, Ethan, Brendan, Dawn, Hilda, Nate, Serena, and Elio are the ones I'm planning to get. Some of them have already been made, while others I have no idea if they even plan to make them. Time will tell.
Assuming you're talking about the ARTFX J figures: Red (Gen 1), Blue/Green (Gen 1), Ethan (Gen 4), May (Gen 6), Lyra, Hilda, Rosa, Serena, and Selene are all out. Leaf/Green (Gen 3) and Professor Oak come out later in the year. Hilda & Serena are receiving re-prints in the Winter so it may be best to pre-order them for cheap while you can.

Would pay big bucks to see Kris, May (Gen 3), Red (Gen 3), Dawn, and Hilbert down the line. If Hitoshi Ariga is allowed, I'd love to see him branch off to do Gym Leaders/Special Trainers. I'd imagine Cynthia or N figures would sell out automatically.

That said, while they're awesome figures, but I do have minor paint nitpicks with a few of the ones I've obtained. Of the five I have, only one of them (Hilda, maybe Lyra) I'd say is close to perfect. If you can get one for under $100, you should probably take it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
So my Retro-bit Stubbins PaRappa plush came in on Monday, which is 4 days earlier than I expected. It looks and feels great. Definitely worth the $7.90.

Assuming you're talking about the ARTFX J figures: Red (Gen 1), Blue/Green (Gen 1), Ethan (Gen 4), May (Gen 6), Lyra, Hilda, Rosa, Serena, and Selene are all out. Leaf/Green (Gen 3) and Professor Oak come out later in the year. Hilda & Serena are receiving re-prints in the Winter so it may be best to pre-order them for cheap while you can.

Would pay big bucks to see Kris, May (Gen 3), Red (Gen 3), Dawn, and Hilbert down the line. If Hitoshi Ariga is allowed, I'd love to see him branch off to do Gym Leaders/Special Trainers. I'd imagine Cynthia or N figures would sell out automatically.

That said, while they're awesome figures, but I do have minor paint nitpicks with a few of the ones I've obtained. Of the five I have, only one of them (Hilda, maybe Lyra) I'd say is close to perfect. If you can get one for under $100, you should probably take it.
I am. I'm really hoping they make Ethan (Gen 2), Brendan (Emerald), Dawn (Platinum) designs. Emerald and Platinum designs seems unlikely since for Brendan they'll most likely either go for Ruby/Sapphire Brendan or ORAS Brendan, and for Dawn I could see them sticking with her Diamond/Pearl instead of Platinum. I don't mind having DP Dawn as the only option, but I like RSE Emerald a lot more since his hair is black in those games instead of brown in order to be ambiguous on who Brendan's real father is. It's obviously Norman, but GameFreak just likes to play these games for player immersion, I guess.

I don't really like Ethan's Gen 4 design because the hat is a lot less cooler, and I just think Ethan's Gen 2 design is just overall better.

In the end, I see myself getting every single one of them just because I really like the protags and the collection wouldn't really be complete without them, so that might take a long time, since I still have no idea if they're planning to make any of the male protags for once. Only Red and Ethan? C'mon... :(

I'm not really in a position to order anything anytime soon since I'm still waiting for the job I interviewed for to get back to me. I just hope the figurines won't become limited edition or something like that and cause the prices to spike up to the 200s or even 1000s or something.

Attachments

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
So, I collect a lot of things. Amiibo, games, Blu-Rays/DVDs/VHS tapes, CDs, Pokémon cards, etc..

But! The one thing that I find myself most invested on collecting these days is pins!
20190815_180112.jpg

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I added Batman vs TMNT and both seasons of Stardust Crusaders to my blu-ray collection.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
How is Batman vs TMNT? It looks interesting.
I really enjoyed it. The action sequences were top notch, character interactions felt very organic and the humour was good.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not much of an anime/manga diehard but I recently picked up a copy of Cyborg 009 (2001) for Blu-Ray.

One of, if not the last, classic Toonami shows to be re-released. The original run of the show only partially aired on Toonami before being pushed to a graveyard time slot where most kids at the time, like myself, couldn't watch; which even then not every episode was shown. Even more so, only a few episodes were ever released on DVD and what was available to pirate online was only from VHS recordings that also missed episodes.

It was announced a few years ago to have been picked up by Discotek but the source copies, even the Japanese ones, had so many issues the re-release was nearly cancelled. There's a large essay on in the special features detailing the effort.

Having access to it now brings back a lot of memories. I used to hum along to Genesis of Next and pretend to have an "acceleration mode" (a common 4th wall joke for serious otakus I know) while running on our track in gym class in Elementary School. It was cool to see a multi-racial/multi-country/multi-historic team of super heroes and the good vs. evil themes weren't always black/white. I never thought I would learn about the Berlin Wall, Bolshevik Revolution, civil wars in Africa, depression/alcoholism, human trafficking, etc. in a children's cartoon! There were a lot of heavy themes and they made the series/characters all the more real and fascinating. I have to give it credit for not dumbing things down either.

Attachments

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Picked up the new Kotobukiya ARTFX J Leaf figure today. Along with Hilda, she's one of the better looking figures I've gotten. :ultpokemontrainerf:

Also got May/Haruka a few months back. Not a fan of her ORAS design, but I'll take what I can get. Sadly despite being new I did notice a few paint marks. It's annoying but oh well. For some reason her base stand is the only one that isn't centered.

Professor Oak comes out in a few months/end of the year, and Dawn/Hikari comes out in the Spring next year. Am curious to see the final products.

Attachments

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think someone posting Terror Time Again lyrics on the Boards made me go check my Scooby-Doo stuff. Regarding the original series, I had a handful of episodes spread out over a few DVDs, so I ended up buying the complete series of Scooby-Doo, Where are You?.

Due to some oddities with how everything was televised, the third season of The Scooby-Doo Show is included as a third season of Scooby-Doo, Where are You?.

I've been binge watching all the episodes between doing other things. It's good to finally have the collection but now I feel like I need the first two seasons of The Scooby-Doo Show.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Picked up the new Kotobukiya ARTFX J Leaf figure today. Along with Hilda, she's one of the better looking figures I've gotten. :ultpokemontrainerf:

Also got May/Haruka a few months back. Not a fan of her ORAS design, but I'll take what I can get. Sadly despite being new I did notice a few paint marks. It's annoying but oh well. For some reason her base stand is the only one that isn't centered.

Professor Oak comes out in a few months/end of the year, and Dawn/Hikari comes out in the Spring next year. Am curious to see the final products.
I really like the Leaf, Lyra and Serena figures.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
So it's been a while since I last posted in here, and my figurine set has now expanded a bit—I've got Lammy, PaRappa, and Rammy Medicom toys now. I've also preordered the Edelgard action figurine as well as some DQXI action figures (Eleven, Erik, Serena & Veronica, and Jade), and now I'm just waiting for the Rab & Sylvando ones to release in 2020.

Here's what I currently have so far.

image0.jpg

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My current collecting passion is collecting physical WiiU games. I figure that somewhere down the line they'll become semi-rare but mostly it's that the WiiU didn't live too long so collecting all of it's stuff, especially when it's in the "thow it out to make room" stage of it's life, is actually a possible task.

I managed to get Maiden of Blackwater, even if it did have a mark-up, so that's currently the crown jewel of the collection.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Took some pictures of my current Game Freak collection a while back during the Shield/Sword hype but never got around to posting them. I forgot to include my copy of Pokemon Green and I still need a copies of several games.

I would kill for a Pulseman sequel/remake. If it were to be announced I would totally give them slack for not having all 900+ in Gen 8. lol

Attachments

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Had to wait a full week before I could pick up my mail from home, but I finally got her in the mail. Am more of a Video Game diehard, but over the past few years I've gotten hooked on the Shield Hero series of Light Novels. While I think the anime has major adaption issues, I am glad it came out to finally draw attention to the series (like several younger Isekai series got anime well before Shield Hero did) and so awesome merchandise like this can be made.

She's definitely going on my bookshelf next to my modest manga/LN collection. Considering there's been a bigger push to make fan service merchandise of heroines of the series, I'm glad a regular action pose figure exists; it's both creepy and, IMO, goes against the tone & character of the Light Novels.

I hope Kotobukiya also releases a Naofumi figure to pair with her. Given the anime has already been announced for an additional two seasons, I'm not sure if I'll pick it up, but I do look forward to the inevitable Katana Hero/Kimono design Raphtalia was given post Volume 8.

Also recently learned from a co-worker that Ikea makes $60 glass display cases. I'll have to make space, but I'd love to finally have a way to display my collection, both my amiibo/figures & rare games, proper.

Attachments

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Added a few more things to my collection over the past month.

Birdy the Mighty is one of few Japanese series I have a true sense of nostalgia for. I find it funny at how twelve years have gone by series Decode originally aired; hell the series turns 35 years old this year (same age as Dragon Ball believe it or not). In the days before simul-subs/dubs, I remember back in 2008 staying up late and sneaking into my parent's basement to watch the original OVA & fan-subs of Decode on Youtube/Pirate sites a few days after it aired in Japan. Granted Decode had nothing to do with the on-going manga series (33 volumes!) but it was still a fun watch.

Also Birdy's Theme in Decode, is hands down my favorite song irl and is a must listen for any anime nut. The energy and emotion behind it objectively (sorry/not sorry for using that term) puts on par with anime greats such as Cowboy Bebob's Tank!

The latest game in my Game Freak collection is Bushi Seiryuuden. I've been after a copy for a few years now, but haven't had any luck until recently as most CIB copies are overpriced or damaged. Drill Dozer is probably the last major title I need, though there are still plenty of obscure Game Freak titles and Arceus knows if I feel like getting copies of each version of the mainline Pokemon series.

Haven't had any luck in finding a physical copy of the Zero/ZX Collection in stores but I was able to get a copy of the OST from Amazon JP without delay despite the pandemic. The highlights are ZX/ZXA IMO, though the Zero has quite a few great songs as well.

Departure (Zero 2)
Ice Brain (Zero 2)
Green Grass Gradation (ZX)
Wonder Panorama (ZX)
High-Press Energy (ZX)
Through the Lightning (ZXA)
In the Wind (ZXA)

Attachments

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Bought Metal Slug The Ultimate History.

Really good quality book with some fascinating stuff about the series development in there. Though Eri and Fio kept getting their names swapped in it.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Bought Metal Slug The Ultimate History.

Really good quality book with some fascinating stuff about the series development in there. Though Eri and Fio kept getting their names swapped in it.
That's good to hear. I've been tempted to check out some of their other coffee table artbooks for the Master System or Super Famicom.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Decided to expand my gaming book collection and now have the Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive Vol. 1 and The Art of Ratchet and Clank.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Picked up the latest ArtFX J figure: Dawn! Got her a few weeks ago but have been too busy with work/moving into my new apartment. Not what I would have expected from a model of her (hands) but am impressed overall. I'm surprised Hitoshi Ariga didn't wait until after DP remakes(?) came out to model her, but I'd probably nitpick whatever new design she gets anyway like in HGSS/ORAS protagonist designs.

Not a big Gen 7 and especially 8 fan so I'm not sure if I'll pick up Selene or the upcoming Gloria. I got Red (FRLG) on pre-order for later this year and wouldn't mind having Ethan to match Lyra. I really hope Kris gets a figure announced this year. Aside from being the last female protagonist, Pokemon Crystal turns 20 years old this year and it was the first Pokemon game I owned for myself/pure nostalgia.

Was going to buy a display shelf this weekend at Ikea for my figures/amiibo/rare games, but they were sold out...

Attachments

Oracle Link

Smash Master
i have 11 Kirby plushes
Kirby (normal+Sword)
Metaknight
Dedede
Wadlde Dee+Doo
Gordow
Chief Kawasaki
Kracko
Marx