• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
NO FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD?

This list is invalid lol :troll:

On a more serious note, the Fullmetal Alchemist series may seem like just another shonen at first, but it is a truly thought provoking series that will touch your heart. Why are we here? Is God real? When is living worse than death, and where do you draw the line between human and monster? If you've never heard of it, it's set in a world where alchemy is possible(alchemy is a early esoteric version of modern day chemistry in historical terms). Unlike most shonen, where magic just kinda happens cuz reasons, alchemy here has rules. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. So I could make a chair out of a little wood but not a gigantic throne and dinner table or something. Another rule is that you cannot attempt to bring a human back to life. What could equal the value of a human soul? Two brothers attempt this. The younger brother is forced to posses a suit of armor, having had his entire body taken away. No longer being able to sleep or eat or sense the world. The older brother lost his arm and leg, and the series is about their quest to find the Philosopher Stone, which can bypass Equivalent Exchange and basically let you make things out of thin air. If you want to watch the series, here is my reccomended viewing order:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist 2003
2. Conquerer of Shamballa movie
3. Brotherhood 2009 reboot

The thing is, the first adaptation did not follow the manga, and kinda fell apart in the second half. The movie wraps up that story, and then Brotherhood retells what the two series shared in common in about 13 episodes before going off and becoming its own thing. The 2003 adaptation is a lot darker and more subversive than Brotherhood most of the time, but Brotherhood just blows it out of the water! Please watch the series before I ramble on any further. It's a little less than 120 episodes total counting both series and the movie.

Last edited:

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
Just managed to watch all four episodes of Digimon Adventure Tri ~ Saiki.
What did you think of it? I was pleasantly surprised how well it stayed true to the original series while still having a sort of different tone. I'm also glad that 02 wasn't retconned out of existence; I was a little worried that would happen given how much more popular the first season seems to be than the second one.

NO FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST BROTHERHOOD?

This list is invalid lol :troll:

On a more serious note, the Fullmetal Alchemist series may seem like just another shonen at first, but it is a truly thought provoking series that will touch your heart. Why are we here? Is God real? When is living worse than death, and where do you draw the line between human and monster? If you've never heard of it, it's set in a world where alchemy is possible(alchemy is a early esoteric version of modern day chemistry in historical terms). Unlike most shonen, where magic just kinda happens cuz reasons, alchemy here has rules. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. So I could make a chair out of some wood, but not a gigantic throne and dinner table or something. Another rule is that you cannot attempt to bring a human back to life. What could equal the value of a human soul. Two brothers attempt this. The younger brother is forced to posses a suit of armor, having had his entire body taken away. No longer being able to sleep or ewatcor sense the world. The older brother lost his arm and leg, and the series is about their quest to find the Philosopher Stone, which can bypass Equivalent Exchange and basicall let you make things out of thin air. If you want to watch the series, here is my reccomended viewing order:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist 2003
2. Conquerer of Shamballa movie
3. Brotherhood 2009 reboot

The thing is, the first adaptation did not follow the manga, and kinda fell apart in the second half. The movie wraps up that story, and then Brotherhood retells what the two series shared in common in about 13 episodes before going off and becoming its own thing. The 2003 adaptation is a lot darker and more subversive than Brotherhood most of the time, but Brotherhood just blows it out of the water! Please watch the series before I ramble on any further. It's a little less than 120 episodes total counting both series and the movie.
Fullmetal Alchemist's great. Brotherhood is probably my favorite of the two, if only because of Al's sort of expanded role and the introduction of the Xing characters, but I think both series are good and don't see much of a reason to debate which one is the best.

One thing I really appreciate about both FMA series is that they manage to have a pretty involved plot, finish that plot, and tie up most loose ends without needing hundreds of episodes to do it. That's not meant as a slight against shows like One Piece, I just think it's one thing FMA does well.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to say that the latest OPM episode was amazing. It had a fair share of action, comedy, drama and satire all in one. One of the best episodes if you count those facts, and what somewhat makes the show right now. Debatably, one of the best of the year. :cool:

SOGUD.GIF

:bowser:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The Alien Ship arc was way more action-packed and way funnier, but I loved the Deep Sea King arc for some reason, I still can't wait for it to happen.
I thought this was the part we'd meet almost every S-rank member in a Hero Association Meeting (actually Tatsumaki didn't appear in the manga until the Alien Ship arc, iirc) but anyway, it has been developing amazingly.
:196:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
The Alien Ship arc was way more action-packed and way funnier, but I loved the Deep Sea King arc for some reason, I still can't wait for it to happen.
I thought this was the part we'd meet almost every S-rank member in a Hero Association Meeting (actually Tatsumaki didn't appear in the manga until the Alien Ship arc, iirc) but anyway, it has been developing amazingly.
Haven't got around on seeing more than the anime (not sure if that arc you mentioned will be covered in the anime, but yeah...), but I'll most definitely give the manga and web-comic a shot after the run of OPM ends. I'm invested into the characters, universe, setting and action too much to just leave it at the anime. :cool:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Do you like to watch the popular anime of the moment? Then you may enjoy it.
Have you watched a lot of non-mainstream, high-quality anime? Then you'll notice how lacking SAO is.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
Passing by to say that the latest OPM episode was amazing. It had a fair share of action, comedy, drama and satire all in one. One of the best episodes if you count those facts, and what somewhat makes the show right now. Debatably, one of the best of the year. :cool:

SOGUD.GIF

The latest episode is without a doubt the best one yet. Really excited to see Tatsumaki return next week though.
Licenceless Rider's speech though; those scenes with him were so damn great. He's the true hero. I really like the chemistry and relationship he has with Saitama as well.
Yo, question to all you anime dudes, is SAO worth watching? I've heard mixed things on it, some say it's cancer some say it's godlike.
The first half of SAO season 1 is what the majority of people liked about it. The second half has some incestuous vibes and a love triangle which really turned people off. I'd say give the first half of season 1 (Aincrad arc) a shot. If you want a similar anime with an MMORPG setting, Log Horizon is a great one too and deals with the MMORPG aspects a lot more in-depth than SAO ever did.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
The only downside to OPM at the moment is how slow everything is going. The anime is advancing at a good pace but the season will end eventually, the Murata version is getting lost in 2 parallel filler arcs and the original webcomic is getting updated once a month or something.

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
FMA was nice, but some details here and there didn't make sense.
Ling/Greed vs. Bradley where they decided not to armor the entire Body leaving the head exposed.
And vs. the Tank after that they go full armor.
Def. a good series, but stuff like this can rly bug me.

----

OPM is still pacing 100 times faster than HxH at the Moment. :p

----

Random: If anyones like Akagi/Kaiji the Gin to Kin Manga may be something for you.

Last edited:

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
Yo, question to all you anime dudes, is SAO worth watching? I've heard mixed things on it, some say it's cancer some say it's godlike.
NO. Music and animation are good, but the show so horribly executes its concept that's it's plain unforgiveable. It takes a royally bad writer to ruin such a great concept. Its greatest flaw is its characters. The main character Kirito is a wish fulfillment Gary Stu. He constantly breaks the rules of the game, attracts chicks like honey, and is overpowered for no real reason. The rest of the characters are either really bland and unimportant or love interests for Kirito. Even his own cousin loves him.

Jorgesmash365

Smash Rookie
Honestly I'm gonna watch Season 1 of SAO then drop it but yeah they went wrong with the characters :facepalm:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
The latest episode is without a doubt the best one yet. Really excited to see Tatsumaki return next week though.
Can't wait to see more of her. She was kind of endearing on her first appearance in the anime. Might be fun. :b:

The only downside to OPM at the moment is how slow everything is going. The anime is advancing at a good pace but the season will end eventually, the Murata version is getting lost in 2 parallel filler arcs and the original webcomic is getting updated once a month or something.
Sad to hear that. Since the anime seemed kind of fast, but debatably any other one is like that for some. Perhaps after the Blu-Ray/Dvd's get released, and profit is made from those, maybe that 'slow-drough' of OPM from the source material will chance? Could be.

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
So... What are people's thoughta on Naruto STILL having filler despite the manga already having ended a year ago? Or the fact that we've only gotten 8 canon episodes this year? Or the fact that though we'll probably get 800 episodes, only 300 of them would be canon? Apparently we can't have nice things even though everything after the Pain arc is garbage.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Have you forgotten pre-Shippuuden Naruto? After the fight versus Sasuke it was TWO YEARS of fillers.

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Far from godlike. I'll admit that the first few episodes were captivating but it becomes complete trash once it picks up. And don't even get me started in Season 2.

Anyone seen anything really good lately? OPM and Noragami Aragoto have been incredible

dezeray112

Smash Hero
What did you think of it? I was pleasantly surprised how well it stayed true to the original series while still having a sort of different tone. I'm also glad that 02 wasn't retconned out of existence; I was a little worried that would happen given how much more popular the first season seems to be than the second one.
I pretty much enjoyed it. I do agree with you that it managed to stay true to the original series whilst maintaining a different tone.

There are a lot of interesting scenes within such as Izzy somewhat getting a crush on Mimi etc.

Just a bit disappointed not to see Gomamon's digivolution, but hoping the next movie there will be more of him and Joe.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Can I just talk about the anime Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry? I thought it was going to be the generic harem school trope but the plot is actually progressing and the anime itself is actually very entertaining to watch.

I also checked out Gakusen Toshi Asterisk but it wasn't nearly as good.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, OPM has been as good as always. Really nice, and now, we got to see more of best grill (for now, as apparently there's Fubuki as shown some episodes back, but the matter here is NOW...) Tornado/Tatsumaki...

Love how she is drawn like Saitama all badly to add to the comedy, so GUD.

:love:.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Yeah Tatsumaki's appearance was well done. I was preoccupied when they did her cameo a few episodes ago that the would try to make her too serious but everything turned out okay.

The only thing that's bothering me now is why Saitama flies in that episode, everything else is so close to the original manga that it's delectable.

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
Since I'll probably get an infraction if I post this somewhere else, what anime characters would you like to see in Super Smash Bros? This isn't really a serious question, so you can really go all out with your suggestions. Here are the guidelines I like though :

1. Do NOT spoil the story unless the anime is terrible anyway
2. Stick to the main characters
3. Try to come up with a unique mechanic or moveset for the character

For the Fullmetal Alchemist series, I think just the Elric brothers and maybe Greed. Their playstyle would revolve around switching stats and attributes like Shulk. If your defense increases, your speed would decrease. Equivalent Exchange, ya know? Even though it's a mediocre anime, I'd like to see Naruto as a character. Lotsa potential with shadow clones. Even though some people don't consider it an anime, I'd like to see some Avatar characters. I can see Aang, Korra, Zuko, and Toph having lots of potential. Aang could be built around windboxes and edgeguarding. Toph would be built around reacting to your opponent and predicting their next move. Zuko has dual swords and fire, so I'm sure a unique moveset could based on him. Korra would be a straight forward aggresive character. And of course... there's Goku. *sighs*

Last edited:

Rage NF

Smash Lord
NNID
RageNF
Well I been watching Owari Seraph S2 as well other anime like Noragami Aragato let me tell you something that guy is hilarious there isn't a thing that Yato cannot do XD XD I love that guy, Rakudai Kishi, Asterisk war Hmmm Strange both of these anime look the same I cant decide which I like the most both look very promising XD, Taimadou Gakuen 35 which is very good, ore ga ojousama gakkou another good anime and is very funny too and lastly Attack Titan Junior Boy I love this anime always I mean always made a good laugh. (^▽^)I also been watching Anime Dub From Toonami like Akame Ga Kill Dub I Love this anime too it had everything Like Owari Seraph then there is Parasite Maximum Dub I been very Hype about this Anime then Naruto SH, One Piece and DBZ Kai ( just for good old memory). XD

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
holy

Mob gets an Anime.
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:
Wait.
How.
Is there going to be a murata version or are they just going to go full ONE style ?

Even though this is pretty cool for the manga to get more exposition I don't know if it will gain anything from getting animated.

Lunchmanalchemist

Smash Cadet
I just had an idea.

If Kirito from Sword Art Online was added into Smash, he would probably break all the rules :p Eh. Still a better addition than Corrin( RIP Geno).

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
Only the Movie to go and the Monogatari-Series is finished.
Mixed Feelings. : c

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, DAMN. That last episode of OPM was AMAZING. Very cinematic at times and high-budget for an anime of its type.

Loved it. The aniome overall was pretty cool, even if its not for most people, I liked it for what it was. The setting, the characters, the monsters, the events, the music, the moments of awesomeness, they're all great.

Overall: 9/10.

:bowser:.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
And now we wait.
If it exists, season 2 will cover the Garou arc which isn't even halfway through in Murata's version.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
And now we wait.
If it exists, season 2 will cover the Garou arc which isn't even halfway through in Murata's version.
Yeah, so we just have to wait it ut, I guess. At least he said that he is going to try to keep on going for a 'maybe' S2. That's something.

Anyway, here's a picture I found on FB. Kind of funny and interesting that he shares a name with Geno in a way, hehe. Ever since I heard of him on the anime/manga, yep.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to revive the topic and something else-

Well, I haven't seen much of the new animes of the season, and there isn't much that interest me (As of right now, and particurly, maybe just one that I'll talk about it in my post...), but either way while I haven't seen much anime, I have seen a couple. One that I neglected for a bit and one that is new to the a season.

The first being Seikon No Qwaser. (It's two seasons, at that...)

And now, before you talk about it being bunch of fanservice, well, you're not wrong, but at the same time it does have somecool things that add to it. The characters are amusing on their own right, the music is alright, and the setting/abilities/powers shown on it are quite something else. Very interesting elements, literally, for the series to have. Quite liked also the relationships of some of them with one another, it was something endearing to see at times.

Overall, I'll give it a 7/10 all-around considering the two seasons. If its something of your liking, then give it a shot. If only for PLOT AND plot...then go for the first one since while it does have dumb and ecchi moments, it at least has some kind of story that it follows (even if apparently it divers a little from the manga, which I might give a read in these days...) while the 2nd season is ONLY if you liked the first one and expect just some DUMB FUN for the sake of it and if you liked the characters at that point.

And unto the new one, which is, Dagachi Kashi. Which is, quite something for what it is.

It is an anime set in a 'rural area' of Japan where it shows a different look on candies of that country while focusing on some rather, 'endearing and kind of strange' characters. Just by looking at their, and I mean, the EYES you'll know they look crazy. But in the context of the anime, and apparently in the source of it, it is already like that. So, if you liked anime like Shimoneta, with its quirky, insane and fun characters, or just want to watch something that has some dumb-fun over a bunch of candies and related food, then go for it. It is worth watching. So far with its two episodes, I have liked it a bit.

Give it a shot if its of your liking. Besides...

One of the girls there is besto-

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Just finally watched Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Man what a terrible ending to a mediocre-good Anime.

The first 3 episodes were amazing, I was sure it was about to become my all time favorite anime series. But then it failed as hard as LOST.

Cowboy Bebop is still best.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Just finally watched Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Man what a terrible ending to a mediocre-good Anime.

The first 3 episodes were amazing, I was sure it was about to become my all time favorite anime series. But then it failed as hard as LOST.

Cowboy Bebop is still best.
Arkada from Glass Reflection has said it before, and I agree with him....you either love or hate evangelion. For me, I didn't like it overall. I think it had a nice start as well, but then Shinji's personality held the story pacing back, and his character became more unbearable as the series went on. Concerning the rest of the cast, I didn't like Asuka either because tsunderes aren't normally my thing, and Rei was boring. Everyone else aside from Captain Katsuragi is either boring or unlikable for me. I really hated this cast.

Not to mention the ending is possibly the worst ending in any anime show ever (well, at least out of the mainstream ones).

On a more positive note, Cowboy Bebop is indeed AMAZING <3. However, I'll always be a fan of FMA Brotherhood. If you haven't seen it yet, I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Arkada from Glass Reflection has said it before, and I agree with him....you either love or hate evangelion. For me, I didn't like it overall. I think it had a nice start as well, but then Shinji's personality held the story pacing back, and his character became more unbearable as the series went on. Concerning the rest of the cast, I didn't like Asuka either because tsunderes aren't normally my thing, and Rei was boring. Everyone else aside from Captain Katsuragi is either boring or unlikable for me. I really hated this cast.

Not to mention the ending is possibly the worst ending in any anime show ever (well, at least out of the mainstream ones).

On a more positive note, Cowboy Bebop is indeed AMAZING <3. However, I'll always be a fan of FMA Brotherhood. If you haven't seen it yet, I would definitely recommend it.
Yep. But I don't care about all these tropes or Waifus or Harems or Tsunderes or whatever.

I just want a good story, interesting characters, great animation, satisfying action, and kicka** music.

Very few Anime seem to be able to deliver on that. I can only think of like 14 that aren't just fan service trope fests with nonsensical stories, perversion, characters, and meaningless endings.

The ending of NG Evangelion was like a 4 year old trying to re-write the existentialist writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson. Very shallow and self indulgent to an embarrassing degree.

Oh and I have seen FMA, excellent series. Which reminds me I also really loved the 2 Magi series.

Last edited:
Top Bottom