• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General anime thread/Anime (and manga) New OP,Edits Coming Soon!

Hot_ArmS

Smash Hero
iirc berserk was the manga that got me into mangas

edit: no that was deathnote, but berserk was like the 2nd manga i ever read

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
My brother owns all of the volumes out, and he praises it probably the most out of the manga he has read. Perhaps I should check it out myself.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Just finished volume 17. :laugh: It's the most graphic and violent thing I've read, by far. But I really, really like it.

LadyFreyaDavram

Goddess of Vanda Knights
Premium
Well I'm very happy to say that I had bought a DVD boxset of Studio Ghibli films. It contains ALL 16 of their films including Miyazaki's films! It came in the mail today. I was super excited.

:phone:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wow I'm jealous, I wouldn't mind having that. O:

Finished all of the Berserk chapters, which kind of sucks. I'm in love with it and now I'm going to have to wait forever to get more chapters. Being a Berserk fan must be have been hard all of these years. But now I'm trying out One Piece because my brother has some of the volumes, and people also praise that highly, even despite its extreme length. 69 chapters in and it is pretty decent so far, it is still just trying to get a cast of characters.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
So like I haven't really kept up with anime in about 2 years. I was looking to watch something recent and a friend told me that Sword Art Online is a pretty good title.

Is anyone here watching that? I wanna hear someone's thoughts on this title other than "yeah it's pretty rad, just watch it."

Xyzz

Smash Champion
That one has its own thread over there: http://smashboards.com/threads/176084/
I'm not going to watch it... too long :D (also I hate filler episodes that don't advance the plot with a passion. Yeah, I have to admit that I'm super inconsistent, I'm watching stuff that has no plot to speak of after all... ;) But well, there is stuff that needs a good story to be interesting, and not advancing that in episodes, would result in the episode being pretty worthless to me)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
then read the manga, one piece's manga is one of the longest ongoing ones for a good reason

SAO was widely regarded as decent by people who haven't read the source material, and was considered pretty mediocre by those who have actually read the LNs

sorta like index

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I might actually start reading One Piece at some point yeah. Way less time consuming, I suppose. Plus I get to listen to music along the way, which is just peachy :)

Also: don't you think "decent" and "mediocre" are pretty synonym? :D
Oh and I already thought SAO and Index weren't that amazing despite having read neither (I have SAO at 7/10 and the first index season at 8/10, 2nd one is a tentative 7/10 for now, and I'm feeling generous with all of them :D)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
index anime first season was ok, second was also ok but was planned terribly, they basically started the arc that would cover the next 10-ish volumes of the LN at the end of the second season just to show everyone touma is a MAN (cmon did you really need people to tell you that)

decent and mediocre aren't synonyms in my world

Minato

穏やかじゃない
then read the manga, one piece's manga is one of the longest ongoing ones for a good reason

SAO was widely regarded as decent by people who haven't read the source material, and was considered pretty mediocre by those who have actually read the LNs

sorta like index
That's basically what I felt about SAO. I still haven't finished the anime yet since I lost interest in the adaptation. While I do like the light novel a lot and even gave it a 10 on MAL (lol MAL ratings), it has a ton of flaws. Maybe I'll re-rate stuff someday if I feel like it.

As for Index, I enjoyed both anime and light novel. Coincidentally, even though I read ahead before season 2, I haven't read past that.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
accelerator-kishara (or whatever his name was) arc was just the precursor to serious business happening in the index world

in the volumes following that, people swing telephone poles, touma gets his arm cut off and the french army gets beaten down by little girls

oh, and mikoto and touma going to hawaii together. with the (apparently mexican?) president of the USA.

it's pretty cool.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Recently watched Ouran High School Host Club, a popular anime that I once attempted to watch but couldn't get into. After hearing Vic Mignogna at Kamicon and hearing about his character in the dub I went onto Netflix to try and watch that. I very rapidly finished it. :laugh: If it wasn't for Tamaki I probably wouldn't have felt it worth watching though, despite me liking all of the characters (except for the girl who keeps coming out of the floor somehow).

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I just finished the Magica Puella Madoka anime... or whatever it's called. Highly recommended. Think it's all innocent and stuff then...BAM! Gets pretty dark...don't let the imagery of this anime deceive you, it's not what you'd think.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Been watching Hakuouki Shinsengumi Kitan lately, it's a pretty solid anime or at least an interesting one so far

I'm really liking the main protagonist

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Someone on the Kirby boards recomended me Magical Girl Madoka. Can I get someone's thought's on the formerly mentioned?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Dokuru-chan is my least favorite anime out of the stuff I've bothered checking out... :D
Well, humor is always a bit hit or miss and it doesn't have redeeming things for people like me who just don't think it's funny at all (:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Lately remembered Fate Stay Night (the anime, which I've seen long ago) and played a bit of the virtual novel, and afterwards discovered that the previous Holy Grail War had an anime. Watched it, and now in comparison Fate Stay Night doesn't interest me nearly as much. Fate/Zero is much more enjoyable.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Fate/Zero expands on a lot of the backstory in Fate/Stay Night. Probably the biggest reason why the narrative of the latter felt so disjointed was because there wasn't much to go on to start with.

Which reminds me, I gotta finish watching Fate/Zero.

Smooth Criminal

asianaussie

Smash Hero
F/SN VN was stupid disjointed because it tried and failed to meld the big twists of Fate and Unlimited Blade Works (the first two VN routes)

and Heaven's Feel isn't exactly suitable for a TV anime, lol

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've only done the Fate route, and it was pretty rough getting through because there was a lot of uninteresting magic-info dumps and a lot of almost pointless scenes (along with very out-of-the-blue H-scenes with seemingly out-of-character dialogue). Got a little bit into UBW, but even with skipping already read scenes, it is pretty laborious to read early on because I'm still forced to go through scenes that are practically the same as what I already went through. Might go back to it sometime, but it takes some effort.

Just finished SAO and was majorly disappointed by the 2nd season. 1st season though was pretty good, wanted more of a story that took itself seriously but mixed in some lighthearted moments like in FMA Brotherhood.

Anyone have some suggestions of recent animes like that?

Kadano

Magical Express
Great OP! Very comprehensive information.

So far, anime I enjoyed are:
Everything by Miyazaki plus the Nausicaä manga (I rate all of them very high)
Death Note (first half only; I liked the tension-building but I enjoyed Miyazaki's movie much more)
FLCL (It seems I'm on the impossible middle ground on this one. I kind of liked it but I wasn't too fond of the stilistic and emotional exaggerations)
Eden of the East (I enjoyed watching it somewhat but it ddn't feel special)

Also, Digimon Tamers which I've read is kind of similar to Serial Experiments Lain. Avatar: The Legend of Aang is my favorite series, but of course I know it doesn't qualify as anime. I like it about as much as the Miyazaki movies.

I did not enjoy (yet?):
Paranoia Agent (I only watched 5 minutes or so, I was bored / didn't get what was going on and dropped it)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (only watched the first episode, didn't feel properly introduced to the setting and characters and wasn't too curious what all this stuff was about)
Fullmetal Alchemist (watched the first episode to see if I liked it better than Brotherhood, but the blonde kid was still raging all the time when he got called small which really annoyed me. I'll give it another try in the next few days, though)
Berserk (I think I started reading the manga some years ago, but after 20 pages or so it felt like all violence and hardly any story which is not my taste)
Elfen Lied (I watched 5 episodes or so but I didn't like it at all)

Should I just pick something from the OP now? I'm particularly thinking about Serial Experiments Lain, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Sgell.
Or are there more recent anime/manga that you'd recommend more?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
hey there, dude ;)

I didn't really enjoy Ghost in the Shell and am not that fond of NGE either (2nd movie was rather good, but not enough to make want to sit through the series). I suppose of the more recent things Psycho-pass is kinda similar to some (maybe all?) of the things you're considering to watch, and that one scored a 10/10 in my book.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
For the life of me I can't remember if I've mentioned Air Gear or not here, but either to finally ask it or to refresh my terrible memory, what is all of your opinions on the manga? I've purchased and read a lot of the volumes, almost got all of what is out in the US. I intend to try and catch up and make it through to the end as they slowly release, but I have read that many, many, MANY people hate on the manga because of how convoluted, stupid, nonsensical, dragged out, etc. it gets at some point. Has anyone experienced that, and when did it happen if you did? Thus far I am 19 volumes into it and still enjoying it.

Top Bottom