• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GCC Analog Stick Rubber Wearout

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I have a question about what to do regarding a controller dilemma I am having.

I started playing the game with a wireless GCC remake. This controller seemed to hold up fine, but it was a hassle to go to weeklies and need to pair my controller every time so I decided to start using one of my old GCCs instead.

Unfortunately, after only a couple weeks of moderate use, the rubber on the top right corner of the analog stick has torn and, as the tear has gotten worse, it's caused me a lot of issues with misinputs while playing. It just starts feeling really mushy and the stick keeps slipping from beneath my thumb and it's not good. The poor stick also distracts and stresses me during the match, making it harder for me to play properly.

I swapped to another old GCC I had. A couple more weeks of play, and the same problem has happened again last night, and it progressively got worse throughout a weekly I was at and was causing me a tremendous amount of misinputs. Now I have two controllers where the rubber has torn on the analog stick, causing it to become poor for gameplay.

Is this happening because these controllers are 20'ish years old and the rubber has dry-rotted or something? Has anyone else had issues with older GCC analog stick rubber tearing or wearing out during Smash gameplay? The newer, wireless controller I had didn't seem to have this issue but I've also been more serious with play since adopting the wired, older GCC, which makes me concerned maybe it's a controller posture issue or me being too hard on the analog stick with my thumb or something.

Edit: Apparently you can buy new analog sticks online. I'm going to give this a try and see if it is an old rubber rot issue or something making it wear out so quickly.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I have one of the Ultimate GC controllers, and a later model Platinum controller. Both have seen fairly heavy use, and the rubber is doing fine. I also have three that are originals from 2001, and only one of them has had the rubber come off of the control stick. The other two are super worn down to the point where there is barely a grip on it, though it's still on there. If it bothers you enough, I'd just buy a replacement control stick from a 3rd party and a tri-wing screwdriver, and have at it.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
We really need a general controller questions thread...

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I have a question about what to do regarding a controller dilemma I am having.

I started playing the game with a wireless GCC remake. This controller seemed to hold up fine, but it was a hassle to go to weeklies and need to pair my controller every time so I decided to start using one of my old GCCs instead.

Unfortunately, after only a couple weeks of moderate use, the rubber on the top right corner of the analog stick has torn and, as the tear has gotten worse, it's caused me a lot of issues with misinputs while playing. It just starts feeling really mushy and the stick keeps slipping from beneath my thumb and it's not good. The poor stick also distracts and stresses me during the match, making it harder for me to play properly.

I swapped to another old GCC I had. A couple more weeks of play, and the same problem has happened again last night, and it progressively got worse throughout a weekly I was at and was causing me a tremendous amount of misinputs. Now I have two controllers where the rubber has torn on the analog stick, causing it to become poor for gameplay.

Is this happening because these controllers are 20'ish years old and the rubber has dry-rotted or something? Has anyone else had issues with older GCC analog stick rubber tearing or wearing out during Smash gameplay? The newer, wireless controller I had didn't seem to have this issue but I've also been more serious with play since adopting the wired, older GCC, which makes me concerned maybe it's a controller posture issue or me being too hard on the analog stick with my thumb or something.

Edit: Apparently you can buy new analog sticks online. I'm going to give this a try and see if it is an old rubber rot issue or something making it wear out so quickly.
Are you using a third party controller? Also if you have a triwing screwdriver you can buy a cheap third party controller and take the analog sticks out then put them into your wireless controller.

Top Bottom