• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gay, ****, Homo and similar words...

cemo

white walker
Exactly, and I know there are links between mental and physical health, but physical health is much closer to a universal thing than mental health is.
You break an arm, for the overwhelming majority of people that **** hurts.
When it comes to insults and such, it's not nearly as black and white and often becomes straight up unreasonable.

Being picked on/bullied has affected me a lot more over my life than any time I've ever been hit or in an accident.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Souls,

For an example, you do realize that approximately 1 in 4 women in the world have been ***** right? Being ***** is an extremely traumatic experience. So whenever you're in a coffee shop, or in a supermarket or just out in about with friends a girl/women happens to just overhear you say "Haha that guy got *****!" since you and your friends just happen to be talking video games, that you expect them to just ignore it? Do you not have any concept of what emotional trauma is?

When you're with friends and it's private and you know no one can get hurt fine. But you're really deluding yourself if you think words associated with genuine traumatic experiences should just not be taken as seriously in a different setting.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
I'm not defending people who "attack people" (verbally), I'm defending their right to do it. Just because I disagree or dislike something doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to say it.

Then why not just tell them they should not be saying at all? I'm not eliminating their right to say whatever they want, I'm exercising my right to tell them they're scumbags for doing it.

How am I violating anyone's first amendment by telling them what they should or should not say?

Souls,

For an example, you do realize that approximately 1 in 4 women in the world have been ***** right? Being ***** is an extremely traumatic experience. So whenever you're in a coffee shop, or in a supermarket or just out in about with friends a girl/women happens to just overhear you say "Haha that guy got *****!" since you and your friends just happen to be talking video games, that you expect them to just ignore it? Do you not have any concept of what emotional trauma is?

When you're with friends and it's private and you know no one can get hurt fine. But you're really deluding yourself if you think words associated with genuine traumatic experiences should just not be taken as seriously in a different setting.

That's because everyone should be able to say what they want, and no one is allowed to be offended by it because they're "just words". It doesn't matter how vital communication is for every other aspect of human life as we know it, because it clearly doesn't apply to people's emotions despite it clearly doing the opposite.

Some people just don't want to accept words do matter. And if they're denying that, they shouldn't laugh at a comedy, as words are just words.

Souls

Smash Rookie
For an example, you do realize that approximately 1 in 4 women in the world have been ***** right?
I'm pretty sure it's 1 in 6 have been a victim of **** or ATTEMPTED ****. Unfortunately false **** accusations are all too common, women have a weird idea that if they get drunk they're not responsible for their actions so they end up crying **** the next day. But I digress; if you're in a public place as long as you're not being loud,unruly or putting people in danger you can still say what you want.

If I got kicked by a horse and was cripple for the rest of my life, should people never talk about horses around me?

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
This culture has become 110% WIMPY/SENSITIVE. If I say a word you dislike....DEAL WITH IT. I will not alter the words I choose just because you are too much of a BABY.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Then we need to stop using ******* as an insult as well, since it's not nice to the donkeys. Also **** needs to stop being used since it originally implied sexual assault on a woman.
Also ****, since that is someone's name.

You know what? People just shouldn't talk, if no one talked no one could be offended right? Problem solved.

Or we could start teaching kids "Sticks and Stones" and maybe the next generation will be a little less sensitive to bull****.
Donkeys don't have language. You're really going to equate the mental health of human beings to the mental health of donkeys?

You're right, **** does need to stop being used, as many people have argued in this thread. Do you think at all before you wipe your ass on the keyboard?

Souls

Smash Rookie
Donkeys don't have language. You're really going to equate the mental health of human beings to the mental health of donkeys?
Whoa you better check your privilege you speciesist, we're all living things and equals.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
This culture has become 110% WIMPY/SENSITIVE. If I say a word you dislike....DEAL WITH IT. I will not alter the words I choose just because you are too much of a BABY.
Okay. If that is the case, I will call you extremely insensitive, and it is very likely that this attitude could destroy your social life in the future.

I can say whatever I want so please deal with it!

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Whoa you better check your privilege you speciesist, we're all living things and equals.
So are you a vegan or a cannibal then?

Animals are incapable of learning human language; nothing you say to an animal will provoke an emotional response (unless you condition it with other stimuli or raise your voice). Now, I'm anticipating you'll respond with something stupid like, "just goes to show animals are tougher than most humans," but again I know you don't believe that, and a more appropriate response would be, "just goes to show that when it comes to emotional processing I have the mental capacity of a non-human animal."

The Good Doctor

Smash Champion
How about we stop using the word murder in such context as
"He got murdered that stock"
Bc someone might find it offensive...
Stop trying to be stupid and if you want to be politically correct with everything you say then you probably shouldn't talk.
ever.

Souls

Smash Rookie
Animals are incapable of learning human language;
Wow this is disgusting, just because animals can't talk yet doesn't mean they are incapable. Are babies "incapable" of talking because they are 2 months old? Or is it they just need a little time?
Animals are incredibly smart even without language, and even if they are less smart they shouldn't be treated differently.

Do we treat the ******** differently? No they are still living beings damn it

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Wow this is disgusting, just because animals can't talk yet doesn't mean they are incapable. Are babies "incapable" of talking because they are 2 months old? Or is it they just need a little time?
Animals are incredibly smart even without language, and even if they are less smart they shouldn't be treated differently.

Do we treat the ******** differently? No they are still living beings damn it

Actually I'm pretty well-versed in cognitive science and linguistics, and this is mainstream scientific opinion. I didn't say animals are stupid, I said they are incapable of learning human language. Animals can learn to associate words (i.e. particular auditory stimuli) with behaviors or concrete objects through operant conditioning. However, not even our closest relatives (great apes) are capable of learning human grammars or producing more than a limited set of symbols for communication. Even if you hold the completely unsubstantiated belief that animal processing of language (which they do not have) and emotion are interconnected as they are in humans, there is absolutely zero reason to believe that a donkey would associate the word "ass" with negative emotions when it hasn't even been conditioned (or "taught") what object "ass" refers to.

Newborn babies can neither speak nor comprehend language. Same goes for an animal that has the cognitive ability of an infant once its brain is fully developed. And if that was supposed to be a serious argument, I might point out that no matter how long you take care of your pet parrot, it never matures into an adult human being. Human brain =/= bird brain.

You didn't answer my question. Vegan or cannibal?

Why is everyone arguing semantics? I know ya'll have the right to say what you want but are you so amped up on your first amendment rights you don't even find it a little off putting to say something that could offend somebody? Just use another word lol

Ya'll wouldn't say dumb **** in a job interview or to your supervisors, why say it around anyone else? Get some social skills for real.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Okay. If that is the case, I will call you extremely insensitive, and it is very likely that this attitude could destroy your social life in the future.

It's caused me zero problems in my 25 years of being alive and it won't in the future. I know when and where to say what I want. Being called "insensitive" does absolute nothing to me because I am not a baby/wimp.

br8k

Coolkid
My idealist 2 cents: Not using Gay and **** as casual jokes is something to aspire to. From a "Be the best you can be" or "What would Jesus do" or whatever perspective, using Gay and **** like this is easily seen as a Bad Thing. Even if it's just because it's rude and immature, not even touching on whether or not it's offensive. Plenty of people do plenty of bad things on a regular basis, and it would be impractical and overly sensitive to try to censor all the people who just don't care about being offensive. And enjoy being offensive because it's satisfying and empowering. But if we can get all the people who DO aspire to be good and admirable people to not use Gay and **** as casual jokes, then that's a fair amount of progress right there towards making the community appear more welcoming and mature.

So it's not a "you guys are offending me, I order you all to stop" thing so much as it's a "we're better than this" thing. Y'feelme.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
it really saddens me how so many people in this community have non-existent social skills.

nooga

Smash Apprentice
It looks like this has become a ****storm, let's try to be relevant right guys?

I think these words should be taken with a grain of salt. It may be unfeeling and rude for some people, but you need a thicker skin than that, especially in a gaming community. The words are obviously not meant to be derogatory, they are just figured of speech.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/daisy-coleman-maryville-****

also, one of my really really good friends was ***** this summer, and her life has changed drastically since. the whole "i cant read people's minds. its not my fault if it offends someone. they should tell me." argument is a ****ing joke and if you actually believe in that, then you are a ****ing disgrace of a human being. here's a better solution to that problem: DONT SAY IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

if you want to be a piece of **** around your friends and say ****, then go ahead. but dont say that **** in public.

who cares whether or not it was meant to be derogatory. you are possibly reminding someone of something that they most likely think about every day for the rest of their life.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
Do you really think you could properly judge someone's "social skills" off a thread on some forum?
when someone says its their "first amendment right" to possibly remind someone of a horrible traumatic thing that they were forced to experience, then i honestly hope they stay on the internet and never go out in public.

Acryte

Smash Ace
On a semi-unrelated note, a very short story:

Years back, I was at my friend's house when his grandpa came over. His grandpa was talking with his mom and said something about "n*gg*r boys playing in the park". Granted its an extremely racist word, and I had all right to take offense (I'm black), I wasn't offended. It's unfortunate that over his lifetime, that word is the simplest way he can describe black people. At the same time, it was completely devoid of hate or ill will. My friend's mother pulled me into the garage and apologized profusely. Personally, I'm sure that some people might have taken offense, reactions obviously vary. The amount of offense I took from it would be like if a young child spoke the word after hearing it somewhere, having no idea what it meant. The innocence of it was why I wasn't offended. I might not be offended but surely I would educate the child as to the appropriateness of its use. When and where and to whom, and how it is said...

Of course this is an instance where the use of the word makes sense in it's application. It was used as a descriptor in-line with its definition. It wasn't being construed into something outside it's standard connotation.

While I believe it to be unprofessional and frowned upon, if the intention wasn't there, I can't hold it against them. If someone made a joke about cancer, that's pretty insensitive. My father has cancer, and it's certainly no joke. Do I immediately begrudge them about it? Does it immediately bring forth painful feelings? No. I might let them know its distasteful to make that joke without knowing their audience, but if they are ignorant of the conditions than I wouldn't really take offense... I wouldn't really be hurt by it. If it was a personal attack against my family where they were being cruel in reference to that fact, then I would certainly be offended and probably hurt. The intentions were to offend and to hurt.

The older you get, the more likely that a "your mom" joke or jest poking fun will be met by someone who has lost theirs. As we get older, it becomes more prevalent. The question is whether we start to shift to "your sister" jokes, as if it was better.... or completely scrap all familial jokes and references (and all forms of social jesting where we poke at friends in a friendly way to build comradery), or simply educate ourselves as to our audience beforehand. If you know he has a sister in good health, go ahead and make that sister joke... BUT in the case you did make a joke about their mom, and they HAD in fact lost their mother, but were ignorant of that fact, in personal experience, the audience member is usually unoffended but lets you know the truth of it. Naturally, they expect you to refrain from those types of comments with them from that point. It should be stated however, that same person should take no issue when that joke is made to someone else, provided their mom is alive and well... because for them it's different.

The intention, and who its aimed at are equally important in assessing the nature of its offensiveness. Yes its easy to decide that using that word is unnecessary and arbitrary, and to cut it out of our word bank. You run a lower risk of offending someone. The word **** is a bit different however... Even if you didn't mean it in the extent of it being an incredibly terrible act of violation forced upon someone against their will, with a word like ****, to hear it used nonchalantly is equally offensive mainly because even at best, you are dumbing down the seriousness of the act; you are taking away from the person who was affected. With the word gay however, I don't see that to be the case. The term f*g or f*ggot however, are intrinsically hateful words, like the n-word but are used to describe homosexual people. It would seem rare to me that those two words would be used innocently, devoid of hateful properties, so I would generally discourage their use; just as I would generally discourage use of the n-word. Without intention however, is it wrong if the word n*gg*r was to be used in a discussion about the actual word. Let's say in a book that is talking about the historical roots of the word, etc. Of course it's not wrong when used in a non-hateful, literary sense. Similarly we need to look at intent and audience in judging the appropriateness of the use of words.

Souls

Smash Rookie
We should rid Violence and **** from the media, no book, movie, or video game should be allowed to show **** or any sort of violence. Since you know, it could remind people who were attacked of that horrific day.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
We should rid Violence and **** from the media, no book, movie, or video game should be allowed to show **** or any sort of violence. Since you know, it could remind people who were attacked of that horrific day.
If someone wants to avoid violence and **** in the media, they can. That's what rating systems are for. On the other hand, if there were giant monitors everywhere that might spontaneously broadcast a **** scene in public view, that would be pretty ****ed up.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
are you seriously comparing the news/media reporting an actual **** to a smash player using the term for no reason at all? LOL.

this is just disgusting honestly. i seriously am dumbfounded by how immature some of you people are.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
What is the reason for it being in the news? Does anyone need or want to know when someone is *****? The analogy was apt, and he was actually talking about **** in fiction fyi not news coverage of it

Honestly anyone who is triggered by the word '****' in a non-sexual context is going to have a lot of trouble going through life regardless of whether they are in the smash scene or not. How do you avoid something assosciated with **** without thinking of ****, Kyu Puff?
we should encourage people to toughen up before we encourage censorship, words are just words

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
i just dont understand how anyone can have ANY sort of opinion on this matter unless they've been ***** or have had someone very close to them *****. my friend has never been the same since. I had to always make sure she was doing OK and that she felt safe, because she had a long history of depression before this. until you see the actual effects of ****, you have NO RIGHT to a argue that you can say **** IN PUBLIC. when I hear people say **** at smashfests/tourneys, i IMMEDIATELY think about my friend. i play worse and sometimes lose the desire to play. but it's not just me... SO MANY PEOPLE WILL TELL YOU THIS. **** changes people's lives forever. no one is ever / will ever be the same after they are *****.

there's a HUGE difference between the media REPORTING a ****, and someone saying it as a slang term. if you can't see this you are delusional.

im done. anyone that argues that you should be able to say ****: I hope you get mental help, and I hope i never have to see or talk to you in person ever in my life.

some people in this community disgust the **** out of me. it's one thing to say **** and acknowledge that you shouldn't, but ARGUING that you SHOULD say it?

oh my god. I can't even.

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
this is the last thing I will post because i wasn't able to sleep and was almost bawling last night reading some of the bull**** spewing out of some of your mouths.

would you make a halocaust joke to ax halocaust survivor?

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
No, but I wouldn't expect a holocaust survivor to get angry at me when I say that my car needs gas, either.

You're familiar with the Smash expression 'No Johns', right? The whole idea behind it is that you are always at fault. If you lost your controller before a tourney, and attribute your failure to that - no johns, you should've either not lost your controller or been good enough at the game to beat your competition with any controller. If you break your hand, no johns, you should be good enough to beat everyone one handed.
No Johns is about taking responsibility for changing the things that affect you - you will never improve by constantly talking about other people ("He's too good") or things ("He just got lucky"), your answer to any defeat should always be "I need to improve".

I feel like this rule can be applied to real life as well. If YOU are offended by something, it is YOUR responsibility to fix that. If you truly don't enjoy being offended by the mention of ****, then do something about your personal response to it, a bit of introspection can go a long way, and it's a much more solid way of avoiding offence than trying to avoid any mention of the word in any context ever for the rest of your life.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

You're feeding fish to a man right now, you should be teaching him to fish.

wyleepirate

Smash Rookie
Why say gay when you can call things "homosexual," especially when pronounced "homo-sek-sue-el."

I mean really... get with it, people.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It's caused me zero problems in my 25 years of being alive and it won't in the future. I know when and where to say what I want. Being called "insensitive" does absolute nothing to me because I am not a baby/wimp.
Ok good luck with women!

Top Bottom