• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's is higher on the tier list.

What tier should Ganon be in?

• Total voters

RealCatness

Smash Rookie
In Sm4sh if I'm being 100% honest Ganon is completely underrated, not by much mind you I'd just like to say he's higher than bottom of F-Tier, I'd like to see him reach at least Middle of E-Tier, here's my reasoning. While yes he's slooooooooow and has pretty poor frame data, he can do many combos that can get your opponent of their game and they also have to respect you. If you go in on Ganon he can punish, especially offstage where he can Ganoncide which definitely makes him more of a threat at ledge. He also has very high kill potential, almost all his moves kill from around 70% up and if your doubting that you can get punished. If you don't respect Ganon he will punish you. Which is why characters that space, that zone, and that spam projectiles, that in my opinion is where he struggles, and which is probably why he's so low on the tier list, but I still feel he over comes this in game-play. There's a poll whether you agree with me or not, either way tell me your opinion I actually really wanna know if people agree with me or not.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Ganon is closer than he appears.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
The current Meta Game is HORRIBLE for Ganon.
He's still good in 2v2 tho.

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
I disagree; in fact, I would actually say he's overrated. Like in any other Smash game, top-tier MUs matter a lot -- when even Jigglypuff has a better MU spread vs. the top tiers, it's hard to argue that Ganon is underrated (the only character with a worse top-tier MU spread is D3, and still they have very similar invalidating MUs).

Numbers aside, Ganon crutches a lot on MU inexperience (so do a lot of low-tiers, but I'd argue Ganon more than most). Teching Flame Choke and Dark Dive, learning to respect Ganon's burst mobility, not falling for simple AC and IASA baits; all of these things are dependant on how much an opponent knows Ganon.

Ganon's primary issue isn't his poor mobility (although that does hurt his recovery), but rather his inability to deal with some very common tools. For example, many characters have relatively good shield pressure -- Ganon can hardly punish even mediocre pressure with his OoS, much less the safe pressure of top-tiers. Another example would be rolling in -- Ganon can punish them for sure, but the question is, can he can punish them safely and/or reactively? The most conservative option he can take to punish an inward roll is fading N-air, which usually will net him a total of 12% (19% if you're lucky and manage to get both hits). I could go on and on -- he has a 15F dash shield, a recovery that is consistently punishable on hit with a stock lead, the tallest hurtbox in the game, etc. -- but I think you get my point.

Ganon is the most inconsistent character in the game, and his placements reflect this. Even a player as amazing as Gungnir can place top 24 at a 400+ attendee national, and then not even break top 8 at a 40 person local. We've seen several Ganons do exceedingly well, only to then fall off spectacularly as their regions learn the MUs (which is not to say that they do poorly, but just that their results aren't of the caliber that they had when they first started off).

Anyway, at the risk of taking up too much space, I'll end my spiel here. I'm sure you get my point, at the very least -- even if you still disagree.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I disagree; in fact, I would actually say he's overrated. Like in any other Smash game, top-tier MUs matter a lot -- when even Jigglypuff has a better MU spread vs. the top tiers, it's hard to argue that Ganon is underrated (the only character with a worse top-tier MU spread is D3, and still they have very similar invalidating MUs).

Numbers aside, Ganon crutches a lot on MU inexperience (so do a lot of low-tiers, but I'd argue Ganon more than most). Teching Flame Choke and Dark Dive, learning to respect Ganon's burst mobility, not falling for simple AC and IASA baits; all of these things are dependant on how much an opponent knows Ganon.

Ganon's primary issue isn't his poor mobility (although that does hurt his recovery), but rather his inability to deal with some very common tools. For example, many characters have relatively good shield pressure -- Ganon can hardly punish even mediocre pressure with his OoS, much less the safe pressure of top-tiers. Another example would be rolling in -- Ganon can punish them for sure, but the question is, can he can punish them safely and/or reactively? The most conservative option he can take to punish an inward roll is fading N-air, which usually will net him a total of 12% (19% if you're lucky and manage to get both hits). I could go on and on -- he has a 15F dash shield, a recovery that is consistently punishable on hit with a stock lead, the tallest hurtbox in the game, etc. -- but I think you get my point.

Ganon is the most inconsistent character in the game, and his placements reflect this. Even a player as amazing as Gungnir can place top 24 at a 400+ attendee national, and then not even break top 8 at a 40 person local. We've seen several Ganons do exceedingly well, only to then fall off spectacularly as their regions learn the MUs (which is not to say that they do poorly, but just that their results aren't of the caliber that they had when they first started off).

Anyway, at the risk of taking up too much space, I'll end my spiel here. I'm sure you get my point, at the very least -- even if you still disagree.
yes.

always have a backup is the moral

Top Bottom