• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon's Evil Edgeguarding Encyclopedia

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
This thread is dedicated entirely to edgeguarding discussion, whether it be discoveries, methods, or any character specific techniques. Particularly, this thread should focus on characters that Ganon tends to have trouble edgeguarding, like Sheik, ZSS, and Bayonetta (from what I've heard at least if she's not there I can't have a tricolon don't judge me). These characters tend to get off easy when it comes to offstage vs Ganon, but one day we'll catch them in the clutches of darkness once more.

So to start us off, if Sheik is ever forced to ledgesnap with her Up-B and you're hanging on the ledge, you can land an easy U-air by doing ledgedrop --> U-air. It'll hit her regardless of whether she grabs the ledge or holds down to not grab the ledge, and at higher percents smacks her offstage for further edgeguarding or even kills.

Last edited:

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
I find pikachu quite difficult to edgeguard, run off Uair works but only if you read them well

Panchito

Smash Rookie
NNID
PanCat
3DS FC
4768-7623-9286
No one ever expects the Nair.
It's a really good tool for edge guarding now.
Works great against Fox trying to use Side B to recover as well.

Rob_TH

Smash Rookie
NNID
Roverthor
Just as Kosk says, sourspotted uair seems just neat for edgeguarding. My friends doubt so much going offstage against me 'cause that'll maybe end their stock, specially if they're playing something like Roy, CFalcon, Mario... and causing that fear seems something really important with our character IMO.

Sometimes you can even fake the opponent so they go for the landspike, and simply ledgedrop -> uair.

0:12, cut their jump, they dead

EDIT: I suspected it... noticed I didn't say anything new to you dear Ganondorf lords lmao. Expecting to see any tips against Fox's illusion, I'm unable to find anything good against, sometimes even the controller vibrates like I murdered it but actually nothing happens to it lol. I'll try the nair.

Last edited:

LayDownAndRot

Smash Rookie

At 30 seconds my up air decides it wants to spike. I think he hit the stage but the shock wave animation didn't show or something. Either that or his up air has a sweet spot I never knew about.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
So we can grab break people out of certain recoveries for some creative gimps. For example, if we Dark Dive Ryu and trade with Shoryuken, we'll take the hit while I believe he goes too low to recover after. Another example is vs. Lucas' recovery, which if anything puts him at a difficult to recover angle. I've noticed these both after attempting to offstage cide in style, but realized this could be a very real option with Dark Dive, as we can drop off the ledge and Dark Dice back up to it facing away from the stage with a nice active grab box.

Another thing, uair to uair is great offstage from the ledge as most know, but uair to nair is just as if not more useful these two moves combined control a large amount of area. If they go beneath you in an attempt to avoid uair, rising nair is a much better option than uair and we shouldn't always double uair at the least for this reason.

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643

At 30 seconds my up air decides it wants to spike. I think he hit the stage but the shock wave animation didn't show or something. Either that or his up air has a sweet spot I never knew about.
I think that's the battlefield ledges being goofy, but it's good to know because it looks untechable and seems like a pretty safe way to ruin a stock

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
FF Nair towards the stage is a great edgeguarding tool & is great for 2 frame edgeguards & teleport recoveries that aren't Sheik, the problem is that it's reliant on the opponent missing the tech.

TM 023

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2015-1144-0090
If you want to cover a lot of space in a edgeguard, you can go to the dropzone, do some aerials and then recover (it's the most obvious action, I know lol), here's some suggestions:

Short hop to the blastzone:

• double nair -> double jump up air -> up b to the ledge
  • fair -> nair -> double jump up air -> up b to the ledge
  • nair -> fair -> double jump up air -> up b to the ledge
  • double uair -> double jump up air -> up b to the ledge
  • double uair -> double jump nair -> up p to the ledge
I think these are good options against opponents who likes to recover super low. Double jump aerials are optional.
*up airs are better when ganon is facing the stage. This way the hitbox covers more space and you'll have a chance to hit the tipman

Go to the blastzone without jumping:
  • fair -> double jump any aerial -> up b to the ledge
  • nair -> double jump any aerial-> up b to the ledge
  • dair -> double jump any aerial -> up b to the ledge
  • uair -> double jump any aerial -> up b to the stage
These are good against diagonal recoveries. Fair is amazing covering this option. Dair is good for an airdodge read. Nair is active for a good amount of time, so it's a good option too, and uair is the fastest option.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I find pikachu quite difficult to edgeguard, run off Uair works but only if you read them well
run off nair i find works better because the lingering hitbox always beats or trades with quick attack. but up air could work too

Theosmeo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LastOfTheM
3DS FC
0576-7286-5643
run off nair i find works better because the lingering hitbox always beats or trades with quick attack. but up air could work too
I used to do a lot of run off Nair but I feel the much lower FAF of uair allows for more options later on based on pika's angles. Also the first hitbox of uair beats out quick attack even while staled while first hit nair has worse priority. Also Uair has 10 active frames while nair has 6 and a gap and then 12 which I find less reliable. Both are good choices though

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I used to do a lot of run off Nair but I feel the much lower FAF of uair allows for more options later on based on pika's angles. Also the first hitbox of uair beats out quick attack even while staled while first hit nair has worse priority. Also Uair has 10 active frames while nair has 6 and a gap and then 12 which I find less reliable. Both are good choices though
Thanks I didn't know that.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I don't have problems at all edguarding Sheik, but zss on the other hand...

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
I don't have problems at all edguarding Sheik, but zss on the other hand...
I try to edgeguard her melee style, spam aerials near the ledge and pray it hits.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I try to edgeguard her melee style, spam aerials near the ledge and pray it hits.
Ye sadly that's the only thing that sorta works.
We Ganons depend a lot on meaty, scary edguarding and mindgames around the ledges, but she just won't allow us to create a solid tactic.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
There's a cool thing Ganon can do to the majority of the cast.
When you've made them fear trump > Bair, and they want to buffer either GUA, Roll, or Jump;
Roll and stand with your back towards the ledge then take a small step forward so that Ganon's rear heel is placed right at the ledge. When they grab the ledge, do a SH Bair then FF and Dtilt - it covers all three options.
It's not the best way to get kills at mid%s, unless they jump, but it's a garantueed damage-formula.

Top Bottom