• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GanondorftheXXVI's DK Guide FINAL VERSION, I guess 1/27/05

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
good guide, but somethin i noticed that was missing was a little fact about the Donkey Punch.. (the neutral B)

If you have it fully charged, and your saving it, if you use our Up B, and you get hit in the middle of it, you will lose the charged punch, and have to charge it again.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
If you up B in the air and punch, you will die T_T
that's just plane stupid Imo >_>

anyways, I just find out that you can Up-B from the stage onto the ledge =D
Dunno if this is already known and maybe this all can't be done in NTSC, but I have Pal and it is possible there =)

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Yeah, you can do it in all versions but it doesn't help anything really. It has like no knockback so they just get their u-b back near the edge. And it doesn't grab until the move finishes so it's really slow. The reverse charge cancel is much more useful plus you can b-air before you grab the ledge if you want.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
It does grab before the Attack finishes but the attack sort off cancels of you go of stage or something like it. I think it works like the Up B of Bowser of stage though it is muh slower and yes your right about the reverse B thing. That is alot faster, but this is kinda funny and in certain situations it could be funny to do =P

phish-it

Smash Champion
Yeah, you can do it in all versions but it doesn't help anything really. It has like no knockback so they just get their u-b back near the edge. And it doesn't grab until the move finishes so it's really slow. The reverse charge cancel is much more useful plus you can b-air before you grab the ledge if you want.
Am I the only one here who refers to DK's sweetspotted Up-B as the Crack!? Just listen to the sound it makes when you hit it, Your ears wont deceive you.

He may get to the edge slowly, but It's still faster and safer than if you use it on the ground and miss. Also if you happen to hit them with the Up-B and knock them out, you can get to the ledge and ledge hop a b-air to finish them, which is faster than waiting for the ape to stop spinning in circles.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Yeah, people I play frequently know me by my u-b cracking them in the skull. I probably get most of my kills that way. I always hit them out of their moves and stuff with it.

LIL_Jay-Z

Smash Rookie
I think thats correct Var Parasite. Great gide, i liked you good discription on each move and you really pulled off an awsome DK guide

diddleyumcious

Smash Rookie
I must say that I am very impressed with this DK guide. I normally main Mario but I was also looking for someone else to play as and I have been working on my DK for quite awhile (about a month now) and this guide helped alot. I'm going to give credit where credit is due, good job with this guide and please keep'em coming because now I think that DK is a pimp :)

DK_4_LYFE

Smash Rookie
DK is the second heaviest character, following BOWSER. i like ur guide a bunch. sry for the random short post, i just wanted to clear up the weight arguement.

DK_4_LYFE

Smash Rookie
DID NEOPHOS MAKE NE1 ELSE MAD IN HIS ARGUEMENT?!?!?!?!?!? omg he didnt kno wut he was talkin bout!!! sry dude but by short range he means NO PROJECTILES!!! its not a huge range. plz just stop saying "ill keep correcting u". u werent helping, the guidemaker knos WAY more then u. im very sorry for flaming but i had to get this out.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess there isn’t that much in the way of techniques, no. It’s true that, since the author hasn’t been around, it’s fallen by the wayside.

J. Sparrow, you seem like the perfect person for the job. Even if someone else ends up rewriting the DK Guide, some more animated GIFs showing hitboxes for some attacks (like the one you procured for B-air) would be a great addition. :chuckle:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Someone should just copy this and make a new one with updated info if GanondorftheXXVI isn't on anymore.

Its for the welfare of the people!

Number 1 DK

Smash Apprentice
I could write one but im ****ing lazy

I will say that cargo u-throw is his the best thing there is about DK, good way to get anywhere from 20 - 50 percent, depending on the skill of the player and who they are playing as. shuffled u airs for tall opponents is a great way to start a juggle.
Also against fast fallers if you cargo u throw to shuffled u-air you can land before them and grab again at certain percents, kinda like a pseudo chain grab.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Someone should make a more recent guide, with a lot of the new techniques. Just glancing through this I saw lots of outdated info.
I was just thinking the same thing. I remember back when I first saw this guide when it came out, I thought it was amazing. Now after the 2 years, it barely went through any changes.

woah42

Smash Cadet
I am pretty sure that you were talking about Bowser in the beginning, being below Ness and above Kirby. Great guide though

Civy

Smash Cadet
Nice guide very helpfull ! :)
Unfortunately, unlike the others character guides, there is no % damages in this...

sleepy_d

Smash Rookie
yeah i'd definitely like to see a new guide up. woo first post ever! love this forum

ravenhats

Smash Cadet
Very good, you should come up with a section about match ups Jiggly puff I could use some help against the puffball of doom. I can't stand the little chubby ball of death always hard to read (making him hard to smack around) and to high to use the hand slap on and to low to use the overhead clap. Worse of all Jigs is to light to use the cargo + head smack combo. I'm not sure really what to do.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Hmmmm...maybe i should write one of these....meh...maybe another time. Thats a loooooooooot of typing...not like i don't do it already anyways though. lol

Keyy

Smash Apprentice
Mexican, do you disagree with a lot of this guide? Or were you just considering writing your own for the sake of it?

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
Mexican, do you disagree with a lot of this guide? Or were you just considering writing your own for the sake of it?
I think that this guide is really outdated and was the best that we had at the time, but it is extremely outdated. Between bum, myself, and pkmvodka, there has been so much more discovered for dk and new tactics and whatnot, that this guide does not cover at all. I'd probably keep some parts if i wrote my own, but i would change probably about half of it.

Zinayzen

Smash Apprentice
I know that most people really don't play melee much anymore, which is sad. But Mexican, if you ever come back here, what are some of these tactics you're talking about?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I was thinking about making one, but only if no one else does before summer 11

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
I was thinking about making one, but only if no one else does before summer 11
I would...but I'm too lazy. lol. If you want my input, just ask, and I'll give my opinion and I can tell you what I agree with and disagree with for each section and you can either edit it, or just show your opinion AND mine. lol

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I just started writing so stuff now, mad bored atm so I might as well.

this is what i got so far lol, lemme know if you got anything to add. Maybe I can just like, post some moves up, say some stuff, then you guys say some stuff, and we finish that part of the guide... day by day.

Yea?

Introduction
Donkey Kong hasn't recieved much light, in general, to nintendo fans. Ever after the SNES era, he had only a few games here and there. That being said, it isn't surprising to see that not many people use this character in all 3 smash games. This is why only a few players in the world are even known as DK players. Despite his lack of popularity, DK can turn out to be surprisingly a solid character in the right hands. His speed, edgeguarding, range, and combo ability surpasses everything the typical tournament player would assume. He excels quite nicely in all of the mentioned catogories. Donkey Kongs grab game is probably the most complex one in the game. Considering the amount of options he has, it shouldn't be surprising to see him turn the tides, even vs the best characters in the game, with just one grab.

Pros-
Fantastic grab game
Good range
Above average recovery
Heavy (harder to kill)
Some characters overestimate his weight/fallspeed and mess up combos.
Rarely used!!!!
2 Frame invincible move (Up B)
Solid Edgeguarding

Cons-
Combo bag
Very weak spam, mostly to Falco's lasers
When facing torwards the opponent, he has very little options in terms of safely approaching
Horrible shield -> weak to shield pressure
Struggles to combo a few lighter characters

DK's Moves

Ground Moves

*skipped the jab* lol
move sucks ****

Slap-away: Forward Tilt

Damage: " "
Speed: Medium
Priority: Medium
Range: High
Start Time: Medium
Lag Time: Noticeable after the initial hit. You must wait for DK to bring his arm back
completely you can move again.
Knockback: Medium
Total frames: " "
Hit frames: " "

A very underestimated move. It has very good range and works well when used after a missed Bair that fell short. When I say this, picture a Fox dash dance camping DK. DK tries to hit with a Back air, but the move missed when he did a dash the other way. Now Fox is going to dash in and Nair/grab. The Forward tilt will catch him before he can hit you. On it's own, it hits the enemy a good distance away and it's solid in spacing wars, even against characters such as Marth. Be careful not to randomly spam it of course and be "creative" of how you use it, the move isn't that quick and if miss spaced, DK is in a world of trouble. For example I love to use this move after a short hop + waveland, simply out of a wavedash, or after a Bair. But you'll never see me using it very often.

Overhead Smack: Up Tilt

Speed: Fast
Range: Medium
Start Time: Fast
Lag Time: Virtually nonexistent

Another underestimated move but doesn't have as much use as the previous tilt. Many players refrain from using it, but I pretictally like it because of it's speed and nice range (range that extents in back of DK). As previously mentioned in the forward tilt section, it can be used after the Back air in the same exact way (of course you don't turn around like you do with the Ftilt since you're using the back part of the move for range). I learned this from watching Rockcrock's DK and slowly incorparated it into my playstyle.
Reasons why you may throw it out instead of the Ftilt:
It can combo into a grab or Up air (not at lower percents though)
Faster
Reasons why you may throw out the Ftilt instead:
More range
Isn't percent dependant for effectiveness
Other then that, Uptilt usage is surprisingly tight, since you should be turned around and it's a ground move. You may throw it out a few times when simply turned around and the opponent does an obvious approach, but it's situations like those where you can simply dash dance and grab.

Duck Slap: Down Tilt

Lag Time: Medium
Hit frames: "

This move has decent range and speed, but unfortunately can't be canceled like Marth's/Roy's. It's a nice move when used on opponents trying to sweetspot the edge. As an approach, it's pretty much the only ground option DK has when running forwards besides a grab, shield, or rare dash A. As an approach it's pretty decent, but you're not guaranteed anything else after throwing it out since there's no setup. I never find myself using it outside of edgeguarding, but I'm sure there can be more to say about it ***

Smellingsalt: Foward Smash

Speed: Slow
Priority: Decent
Start Time: Slow
Lag Time: Noticeable after the initial hit. You must wait for DK to return to his original stance again.
Knockback: High
Charge frame: " "

Arguably the coolest smash attack in the game. It has nice knockback, good range, but it's pretty slow. However, it isn't Bowser-like speed, so in a few occasions, you can pull out a surprise factor on your opponent, but I wouldn't recommend it. I use it when comboing Fast fallers on edgeguarding people who aren't sweetspotting. On platform stages like Yoshistories, it's harder to combo a Fast faller. What I like to do is chaingrab them on the left or right platform into a forward smash. The forward smash lands on them from like, ~50 to ~65%. I want to say 70, but I'm not to sure. For edgeguarding, I love to down tilt Falcons and Ganondorfs to mess up their sweetspot and they will almost always try to just land on stage. This makes them easy charged Fsmash bait. A perfect example can be seen in RockCrock vs Scar.

Overhead Clap: Up smash

Speed: Slow
Priority: Low
Start Time: Slow
Lag Time: Noticeable after the initial hit. You must wait for DK to return to his original stance again.

A pretty horrible up smash, since it only hits directly above DK + it's slow. This move is pretty much only effectively used as a finisher on a faster faller after a cargo up throw around ~80%+

Kong’s Judgment: Down Smash

Priority: Decent
Lag Time: Slow

It's relatively fast and hits whatever is close to DK. The KOing factor is rather poor, but it's nice when used out of a crouch cancel (similar to what Samus can do). Unfortunately, the lag time on this move is prolly the longest out of all of his smashes. You shouldn't be using this much since crouch cancel to grab is almost always a better option.
So like, right now we can go over every ground move. You can add on to the tilts and tell me whatever you know about Jab and Dash A. *I'd rather have Mex explain why Dash A is sexy*
I like it cause it trades well lol. That's it.

I'm going to look for SuperDoodleMan's statistics on moves so I can fill in those empty spaces.

I didn't type this in Word, so there should be a handful of grammatical errors.

Here's what the full thing should be like when I'm done:

Advanced techs
Introduction
Pros and Cons
DK’s Moves
-Ground Moves
-Aerials
-Grab Game
-Special Moves

Stats on DK as a character (ex. that **** from M2K's old stat thread)
What to work on / practice as a DK player
How to play as DK
Specific must know combos/techs/whatever
Character match-ups

Top Bottom