• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GanondorftheXXVI's DK Guide FINAL VERSION, I guess 1/27/05

VilNess

Smash Champion
Well yeah, Mike´s amazing. He seems to be able to suprise with that donkey punch everytime!
And thinking about battlefield: it seems to be a really good stage for DK, at least for the recovery cause he doesn´t have as hard time sweetspotting than, say luigi (especially compared to how easy it´s to sweetspot in Final Destination for luigi).

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by Neophos
IIRc, the knee isnt that bad for DK since hes decent heavy, and have huge horizontal recovery. the spike, however, kills him fast. it can hit once on one recovery, and thats too much for the poor ape.
You're probably right. As I said, I need to play more against Falcon so I can make it better. That was more because I wanted to keep this topic going. But as for the knee, it may not be that horrible, but since DK is such a big target, it's easy to get in on him. Especially since Falcon can rush in between donkeys attacks (with a little timing of course) and knee/grab/dash him or whatever. And yeah, spikes are friggin frustrating against DK.
Every time you happen to mess up your recovery a little your opponent is there and spikes you. T_T

Neophos

Smash Ace
you gotta be used to it. docs recovery also sucks^^

yeah,DKs big, too light, too ugly tie and too little real power moves.

this can almost be considered a kind of bumb, because more people need to get here.

the Link forum has 1500 posts...DKs 110...

GanondorftheXXVI

Smash Journeyman
More people SERIOUSLY need to come here. I mean, there's a a group of, like, five of us who even bother to look at this place. Link... that ****ed *******:chuckle:. No really, we should advertise in our sigs or something:

"COME TO TEH DK FORUM!!!111ONE
HE IS BETTAR THAN TEH LINKz0R!!!111"

Anyway check out the guide if ya want... I added Pikachu.

That Diablos Guy

Smash Apprentice
Originally posted by GanondorftheXXVI
More people SERIOUSLY need to come here. I mean, there's a a group of, like, five of us who even bother to look at this place. Link... that ****ed *******:chuckle:. No really, we should advertise in our sigs or something:

"COME TO TEH DK FORUM!!!111ONE
HE IS BETTAR THAN TEH LINKz0R!!!111"

Anyway check out the guide if ya want... I added Pikachu.
Oh well. At least the DK forum doesn't have 50 threads on the same thing.

"OMG!!1 OMG!!!11 WE NEEED LIEK AN0THR3 THRA3D ON LINKZ D-TITL SP1K3!!111 IT IZ T3H T0P T31R!!!1111"

I just read the character match ups, and I think you should comment on Doc's pill setups. The pills isn't just about the damage.

VilNess

Smash Champion
Hey keep it going! Nice info of pikachu. There might be one disvantage for DK (But maybe it´s not needed to mention in your guide) against pikachu, and that is DKs size.
There might be trouble escaping Pikachu´s thunder followups. What I mean with this that pika can do some attack that sends you up and follow up with downB. This is really lethal. To make it worse, DK is big and doesn´t move really fast horizontally (unless you wanna risk with upB) in air so DK might be one of the easier targets for pika to thunder.

Neophos

Smash Ace
Neophos comming and and saying you are wrong again ^_^

ok, firstly, about the tail spike.

1. It has some neat priority. not the best, but pretty nice.

2. it sends at the same devasting angle as the shine spike.

3. its not meteor cancelable.

4. its easy to hit with, after some training.

also, about aerials.

His dair can outpriritze your bair, IIRC. his dair have more priority then any of DKs aerials, i think. also, he can edgeguard good with it, and comes from above = no chance of being interupted by DKs up B.

his u smash is as deadly as ever. goota hate (or love) it ^_^

he can juggle DKs to **** and back, since DKs dair is so darn slow =/

thunder jolt spam can mess much with DK.

Pikas speed can mess up DK.

all in all, i would say that Pika isnt much behind. heck, i would even say he got the upper hand.

But thats just me ^_^

GanondorftheXXVI

Smash Journeyman
I just edited the section on Pikachu now. Although you are right in all your corrections Neophos (and I greatly appreciate them:)!) I don't believe Pika has the upper hand... Maybe I'm wrong. I've never played against a good Pikachu... ****, never even played against a decent one. Anyway... Bowser will be next on the matchups, not sure when I'll add him though.

Neophos

Smash Ace
>_>

WE NEED MORE STUFF!!

I cant really comment now..

i comment on monday, i promise.

2 match ups on monday.

for sure.

Neophos

Smash Ace
NO!

You cant quit!!

but..

if you really do, can i copy this guide, finish it, and name it "Ganondorf the XXVI´s Gravestone and finest moment"

>_>

<_<

=P

meh. Go play smash again!

Dr.Capsule

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you can't quit!
I really liked hangning out at the DK forum, people were all experienced players and really nice. :)
We really gotta have more people play DK!
How about showing them Mikes DK-vids? We could put up some server and share it to everyone! :D
Anyway, we really need this topic going again.

Neophos

Smash Ace
A theory match up, just to revive this thread again!

DK vs...

Ganondorf!

(has it been done? >_>)

Anyway..

Ganon has almost the same range as DK. Thats very bad. DKs aerial game gets almost crushed by Ganons fairs and bairs, and his recovery is perfect for a dair spike to doom. His dair is to slow to deal with Ganons devasting uair, and the nair can almost outrange DKs bair.

Ganon fall quite well in cargo combos, but thats almost it. This match will require skill from the DK, and abusing all lag to fit in a shuffled bair.

DK can D tilt Ganons recovery, and if you have good timing, a f smash should be able to hit him unless he does a perfect recovery.

Meh. Anyone know more on this matchup?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Hey, we wandered around for 40 years in a desert, i don't see how this is going to hurt...

Neophos

Smash Ace
YAY!!

Post if you need help on a match up!

I´ll help as much as i can ^_^

Neophos

Smash Ace
I know nothing abuot Yoshi ;_;

So, asdly, i can't give any oppinions on this matchup =/

SabreAnt

Smash Lord
The best Yoshi player here in Australia is coming to my state this week, I'll vs him a lot with my DK and I'll ascertain some of the matchup pros and cons. Hopefully I remember to come back here and post them =p

ANTX

Smash Ace
uumm... against yosh, i would take to the sky, try and get in those uair juggles, don't approach so hastefully, and use that big ol' fiar everyonce in a while. CC sux against big ol' fists.

GrabfestBowser

Sexiest Bowser
Something you could also add is that once you get hit off against Bowser all he has to do is sit at the edge and Fair you if you try to go over him or Forward tilt if you try to sweet spot. It hits DK out of his upB everytime, and though it takes about five or six to hit him far enough so that you can't get the ledge, it's the easiest edgeguard in the game for Bowser. And Bowser doesn't take any damage either... for some reason I think he's the only one that easily hits DK out of his upB with Bowser's Fair. So you might want to add that if you can stay towards the middle of the level against him and concentrate on the juggling that would be good.

Really good guide though.

Luke

Buiji

Smash Rookie
forward b isnt COMPLETLY useless...

stand at edge, and spike them as they attempt to sweetspot

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
Very good guide GanondorftheXXVI.:)

D.K. is one of my favorite characters, I'll be sure to look back at this from time to time.

Donkey Waffle

Smash Rookie
Awesome guide! I love D.K. but I always have trouble approaching my opponents without getting shield grabbed. =/

I'll be sure to try out some of the stuff on here!

nightcape1

Smash Apprentice
I give it a 10/10. this is tied for best guide along wit shinganondorf's ganon guide. very in depth and informative.

Neophos said:
EDIT: and i dont know is you really can say Very heavy...more like Heavy...IIRC, Ganon and Samus are heavier....but hey, its your FAQ, you write what you want.
Top five heaviest chars. in order are bowser, dk, samus, ganon, and yoshi. dk is VERY heavy.

Naerok337

Smash Rookie
nightcape1 said:
I give it a 10/10. this is tied for best guide along wit shinganondorf's ganon guide. very in depth and informative.

Top five heaviest chars. in order are bowser, dk, samus, ganon, and yoshi. dk is VERY heavy.
One thing wrong with this post, samus is really light.

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
Samus is floaty, not light. There's a huge difference. Light and heavy refer to how easily they can be KO'd over the top. I thought Peach was fifth heaviest though. She is up there somewhere close right?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dk is the second heaviest next to bowser and tied for the 6th fastest faller (i think it's 6th) with pika and pichu

dk is heavier than samus and ganon, ganon is lighter than samus and yoshi (in PAL only, which also makes him heavier than samus)

dk's down throw can be combo'd into his giant punch on certain characters not sure which ones but i know it can be done on a roy

and dk's range of all attacks are are much longer than everyone's but marth, but he still has more reach

dk is countered by falco i think (SHL owns)

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
dk is the second heaviest next to bowser and tied for the 6th fastest faller (i think it's 6th) with pika and pichu
7th

dk is heavier than samus and ganon, ganon is lighter than samus and yoshi (in PAL only, which also makes him heavier than samus)
yoshi is heavier than samus and ganon(in other versions)

dk's down throw can be combo'd into his giant punch on certain characters not sure which ones but i know it can be done on a roy
all light characters except ness

mood4food77

Smash Hero
ness isn't light, he's the next heaviest under mario, so that probably would make him mid

Top Bottom