• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's Video & Video Critique Thread [Current Critique - MBmoney]

Status
Not open for further replies.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you notice Bowser whiffing a ground move (or if he hits your shield), D-tilt is good for punishing due to the range and due to Bowser's extended hurtbox. You do also know that it's also important to buffer it without crouching right?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah basically.

Although, airdodging backwards and D-tilting sometimes works for me. =P

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
That's more reads/mindgames than anything. When I get those they tend to be more painful than a dtilt, lol.

Also, dtilt is guaranteed on Bowser then? I've always just used jab against the bigger charas.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Flame Choke D-tilt/F-tilt only hits Bowser if he does a getup attack.

So yeah, stick with Flame Choke Jab unless you want to do a techchase ****.

B!squick

Smash Master
Dude, I played many games against TP. And trust me when I say all you need is DTilt for on stage, UAir for off stage, and just keep MURDER CHOKE handy for when you think it'll land. DTilt pokes Bowser's shield like no other and MURDER CHOKE was made for people who over use shield (Bowser). And then UAir beats everything, even Fortress. D: So when Bowser has to recover high to avoid being gimped, be ready to ruin his day.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Why don't you angle your shield down? Ganon can't poke through a shield, and if he hits your shield he's fully vulnerable.

B!squick

Smash Master
Spaced properly and against Bowser's bulk, there wasn't much I could do. It seemed to poke on the second one or so. And when ever I try to angle my shield down I spot dodge and Bowser's spot dodge is atrocious.

Also, wifi and controller johns. Still, I had, like, no response on the ground to DTilt once I got caught by it. It combos into itself really well on Bowser then you can finish with a UAir or what have you.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Lol. Who gets hit with a Ganon Punch without any set up in a tournament?
In doubles? You'd be surprised. I've landed a few in singles too, mostly on misspaced hits, though, but that's a LOT less common than landing one in doubles, especially if you've already made the opponent skittish.

@HomE

Smash Ace
In doubles? You'd be surprised. I've landed a few in singles too, mostly on misspaced hits, though, but that's a LOT less common than landing one in doubles, especially if you've already made the opponent skittish.
In doubles, when i respawn i'll chill on the platform for a sec, look at the situation, jump and do a reverse WP at whomever I think is distracted or will get hit by it. With the invincibility frames from the respawn they can't punish you so its a free WP attempt, and you get +b@dass points for pulling out the WP.

B!squick

Smash Master
But he just walked over, paused for a sec, and blam, KO. Like he planned on getting killed the whole time... MINDGAMES?! O.o

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
Critique plz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNDAL0MIYI8

Also, I know I screwed up a ton of times coming off of the ledge. Ignore that plz.
Very much enjoyed the music btw

:26 - You should probably have moved instead of staying there, I'll explain why later
:35 be careful fastfalling Uair, make sure you hit if you do it because the lag afterward is enough to be punished if you miss
:39 try not to stay in you shield more than you have to, especially against snake. Ganon has few options OoS that will be effective. (from :26) Your goal against snake is to get him in the air/offstage and go to work. His close range ***** yours, so make sure you space well
:45 Uair wasn't a good choice, actually, doing anything besides just landing or jumping away would have been a bad choice. landing lag + snake = no bueno
:46 you can SDI out of his Dair, just tap up and away from the way he's moving and you should get out
:50 don't forget about holding down when using your UpB to bypass the sweet spot and hitting with your fist.
:52 you know what you did, just practice your timing. Also be careful not to do it when he's at that iffy range. If you barely miss you'll be Utilted or predicted fsmashed bad, so be selective with your use of it. Your best choice would have probably been to jump back on to the platform and lose your RCO, then work from there.
:54 Using overb immediately after hitstun will result in you rising up in the air slightly, diverting some of the momentum you might have thought you had, making it end a little shorter than normal. i.e. don't do it unless you're more than close enough
:56 once again, that iffy range. Try just normal stand up in these situations
1:14 as soon as he hit his land mine you should have jumped to get rid of your RCO lag
1:33 don't use wizkick to approach, especially in that iffy zone again. Use it to punish ADs into the ground where a fsmash wouldn't reach or to punish landing lag on something. If you are good at predicting, run up to opponent -> predict roll back -> wizkick cancel off edge -> profit. thats just situational though
1:37 I'm sure by now you know that was not a good choice
1:42 just practice the timing, you're close to getting it
1:51 if you have the chance, after you upb on the ledge, try to overb. It has less RCO lag so its safer
2:12 aside from tech chasing, you shouldn't approach with side b. Fonz taught me this and it really made me live a lot longer.
2:27 be careful doing that, you were REALLY close to getting ****ed up.
End - lul fail

Basically, you played it well, there's only a few things you need to work on. Spacing is SUPER important with Ganon, and the lag on his moves is brutal if you miss. If someones close to that iffy range it's just better to not risk it. Good match though

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
0:25, missed opportunity to N-air or U-air. Shieldgrabbing otherwise would have been the next best option.

Otherwise idk, I think your opponent needs more critique. =)

MBmoney

Smash Cadet
Very much enjoyed the music btw

:26 - You should probably have moved instead of staying there, I'll explain why later
:35 be careful fastfalling Uair, make sure you hit if you do it because the lag afterward is enough to be punished if you miss
:39 try not to stay in you shield more than you have to, especially against snake. Ganon has few options OoS that will be effective. (from :26) Your goal against snake is to get him in the air/offstage and go to work. His close range ***** yours, so make sure you space well
:45 Uair wasn't a good choice, actually, doing anything besides just landing or jumping away would have been a bad choice. landing lag + snake = no bueno
:46 you can SDI out of his Dair, just tap up and away from the way he's moving and you should get out
:50 don't forget about holding down when using your UpB to bypass the sweet spot and hitting with your fist.
:52 you know what you did, just practice your timing. Also be careful not to do it when he's at that iffy range. If you barely miss you'll be Utilted or predicted fsmashed bad, so be selective with your use of it. Your best choice would have probably been to jump back on to the platform and lose your RCO, then work from there.
:54 Using overb immediately after hitstun will result in you rising up in the air slightly, diverting some of the momentum you might have thought you had, making it end a little shorter than normal. i.e. don't do it unless you're more than close enough
:56 once again, that iffy range. Try just normal stand up in these situations
1:14 as soon as he hit his land mine you should have jumped to get rid of your RCO lag
1:33 don't use wizkick to approach, especially in that iffy zone again. Use it to punish ADs into the ground where a fsmash wouldn't reach or to punish landing lag on something. If you are good at predicting, run up to opponent -> predict roll back -> wizkick cancel off edge -> profit. thats just situational though
1:37 I'm sure by now you know that was not a good choice
1:42 just practice the timing, you're close to getting it
1:51 if you have the chance, after you upb on the ledge, try to overb. It has less RCO lag so its safer
2:12 aside from tech chasing, you shouldn't approach with side b. Fonz taught me this and it really made me live a lot longer.
2:27 be careful doing that, you were REALLY close to getting ****ed up.
End - lul fail

Basically, you played it well, there's only a few things you need to work on. Spacing is SUPER important with Ganon, and the lag on his moves is brutal if you miss. If someones close to that iffy range it's just better to not risk it. Good match though

Thats really helpful. Thank you. A lot of the stuff I already knew and usually but messed up for various reasons in that match. However, ome things are really useful though and I didn't know (like that side b has less RCO lag). I may start using it more often to recover now. I really appreciate the tips :).

Hobs

Smash Journeyman
Thats really helpful. Thank you. A lot of the stuff I already knew and usually but messed up for various reasons in that match. However, ome things are really useful though and I didn't know (like that side b has less RCO lag). I may start using it more often to recover now. I really appreciate the tips :).
Well, you don't necessarily have to recover with side-b to have less RCO lag. Just stall with it once or twice when you up-b to the edge. You can u-air to side-b and it will snap onto the ledge. Practice that so you don't mess up your timing.

Also, put more of the last 2 seconds into your gameplay. ;)

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
yeah, side b overrides all up bs, so if you dark dive to the ledge you can stall once with side b and then go from there

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
I played in a tournament on Saturday, but I had to leave early, but not before having all of my pools matches recorded and ready for critiquing. As custom to videos I upload, I deeply apologize for the crappy-as-heck quality.

Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Xzax (Wario) 1- L
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Xzax (Wario) 2- L
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Hime (Olimar) 1- W
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Hime (Olimar) 2- W
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Chibosempai (ROB) 1- L
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Chibosempai (ROB) 2-L

Watching these videos, here are my own critiques that I need to remember to keep mind of:
1) At times I play far too impatiently and it leads to way too many free hits/KOs. I just make bad choices at times.
2) I have to stop throwing Wario and messing up grab releases. That will come with practice.
3) If you come across times where I do something that looks blatantly wrong, such as mess up autocanced Dairs and whatnot, that's more often than not me making some type of technical error. They happen and I can't do much about that other than practice more.

Overall, other than several obviously terrible ideas, I felt I played well. Wish I was able to stay for brackets, because I could have shaken things up.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
I played in a tournament on Saturday, but I had to leave early, but not before having all of my pools matches recorded and ready for critiquing. As custom to videos I upload, I deeply apologize for the crappy-as-heck quality.

Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Xzax (Wario) 1- L
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Xzax (Wario) 2- L
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Hime (Olimar) 1- W
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Hime (Olimar) 2- W
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Chibosempai (ROB) 1- L
Clai (Ganondorf) vs. Chibosempai (ROB) 2-L

Watching these videos, here are my own critiques that I need to remember to keep mind of:
1) At times I play far too impatiently and it leads to way too many free hits/KOs. I just make bad choices at times.
2) I have to stop throwing Wario and messing up grab releases. That will come with practice.
3) If you come across times where I do something that looks blatantly wrong, such as mess up autocanced Dairs and whatnot, that's more often than not me making some type of technical error. They happen and I can't do much about that other than practice more.

Overall, other than several obviously terrible ideas, I felt I played well. Wish I was able to stay for brackets, because I could have shaken things up.
I watched the Wario ones... yeah definitely practice grab releasing every time. Also, I noticed that in the first game (not so much the second game), you were throwing out your double jump too early so that you had to float halfway down the screen without a double jump. Ganon can't afford to get knocked off the stage without a double jump, and even though he didn't gimp you (he often punished your air dodge into the ground), a lot of players will take advantage of that and knock you offstage for the slam dunk gimp.

As far as good things... you were punishing Xzaz very well with Uair throughout the game. You definitely have a good instinct of when to use Uair on wario. Also, you FoG really weird :p (you didn't actually FoG but you did the ISJR part in the first match). We still gotta have that FoG money match when we meet :p

Sorry I couldn't watch more, I gotta leave soon

SSSnake

Smash Journeyman
wow, niku is good. he couldnt beat snake but he was close. that is a good player, ganon vs snake should probably be an easy victory for snake, but he had to fight for that one!

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
@FotuRAN: Was the Diddy using less nanerz because it were friendlies?
Anyway, in the first match, don't use Wizard Kick from that high. Especially not in the disadvantagous position you were there in the walk of corners of Delfino. He could easily see it coming, and could punish Oos.
Although charging an Fsmash worked too, but just the idea.
In the second video, don't DI with Dair. Up Air is better, as far as I know. You also used alot of not autocancele't dairs when falling down, don't do that too much, the risk is mostly worse than the reward.
You got predicteble with going on the stage with forwaird b as well. Mixup your recovery options.

You did really good in the lucas match, but consider grab releasing him more, its Lucas.
And really learn to mixup your ledge game more, and watch out for the RCO lag.

NOw that I'm here anyway, can I please now the song in the third video?

seaDORF

Smash Journeyman
I watched the wario v ganon match. I think it just might be knowledge of the match-up that you could improve on.

As you would already know, wario is ridiculously fast in the air. A smart wario will just bait you and punish ganon because of the massive lag associated with his attacks. I also noticed you f-smashed quite frequently. I personally thought it was a little unneccessary, especially at the lower percentages. It's too punishable. Wario excels at punishing due to his fast air speed and will rely on you to execute laggy attacks in order for him to rack up a decent amount of damage.

I also saw patterns in your playstyle that made it easier to read. Maybe just mix up your moveset a little more and be more patient in general. Ganondorf is a very intimidating character to most players so if he's playing the camping game, just slowly advance and mindgame the **** out of him before approaching.

I tend to thunderstomp spam at a distance against campy non-range players and slowly approach them in hope that i will either bait them or successfully get a gerudo in. Wario's aerials are too quick for ganon so your best bet is to shield grab release which you did a couple of times or space yourself better and come up with an unsuspecting f-air etc.

Basically to sum it up, wario is a fairly difficult match-up for ganon so you'll just need to become more unreadable by mixing up your moveset, play patiently and hit him with unsuspected attacks and avoid using some of those smash attacks so often as they are easily punished.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom