• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf's new Smashes seem tacked on at the last minute

Quillion

Smash Hero
Not only are they straight ripped from other characters (just when Ganondorf's animations would have fully diverged from Falcon, otherwise), they just don't fit his established playstyle or design well at all.

Ganondorf's Smashes in Smash 4 synergized fairly well with his moveset, with the F-Smash working very well as a Flame Choke followup and U-Smash being a great baiting tool. Now, his new Smashes are even more laggy than before and can't create or capitalize on good setups.

Also, he has long been established as a puncher in Smash, and the vast majority of people like him this way. So why does he need to pull out a sword to finish opponents? The lack of range is part of Ganondorf's flavor, yet his Smashes, some of his signature moves, completely contradict that.

I'd definitely say that his new Smashes are a good example of how making characters more faithful to canon actively harms them as Smash fighters. It doesn't always work.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I'd definitely say that his new Smashes are a good example of how making characters more faithful to canon actively harms them as Smash fighters. It doesn't always work.
is not even as close to canon... the only reason why ganondorf have this smashes is to please the tons of fans who probably voted in the ballot "sword ganon"

Upsmash will be missed.

at least ike upsmash and cloud down smash are decent moves : /

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Not only are they straight ripped from other characters (just when Ganondorf's animations would have fully diverged from Falcon, otherwise), they just don't fit his established playstyle or design well at all.

Ganondorf's Smashes in Smash 4 synergized fairly well with his moveset, with the F-Smash working very well as a Flame Choke followup and U-Smash being a great baiting tool. Now, his new Smashes are even more laggy than before and can't create or capitalize on good setups.

Also, he has long been established as a puncher in Smash, and the vast majority of people like him this way. So why does he need to pull out a sword to finish opponents? The lack of range is part of Ganondorf's flavor, yet his Smashes, some of his signature moves, completely contradict that.

His smashes aren't anymore tacked on than Ganondorf was as an entire fighter in Melee, where nearly everything he had was straight ripped from another character. It's only a problem to you now when it's repurposing something you personally disagree with.

What synergy did his moves have? He's a superheavy weight with low speed and high attack power. He doesn't have "real" combos, he just hits you once and it's supposed to be his equivalent of a 3-4 hit combo that other characters need to perform for the same amount of damage.

Also, have you played Ultimate? Heck, did you even play the not-finalized version that is the demo? How do you know what Ganondorf can or cannot do with his moves or strings? How do you know how he'll play or what he'll play like when the final game is released? Were you given a special privilege to play the game that no one else got? Are you developing the game as a member of the team with Sora ltd. or Bandai Namco? How do you know what moves set up into each other? How do you know that these moves don't set up into each other? Where's your information source?

Since when did anyone use Ganon's non-up smashes for anything other than very niche situations? Ganon's dSmash was flaming hot garbage. And even then, since when was his range ever in question as one of his weak points? He's had pretty decent range all things considered, though he should've had slightly more when you look at his size. The only thing you can actually say that was of poor range was his grab, which makes it clear that you don't even know what Smash Ganondorf is even good or bad at. You literally do not know what you are talking about.

"Long been established as a puncher in Smash." More like poorly established as the wrong archetype of character for 17+ years in a spin-off game that is supposed to honor the characters it boasts and has had 3 separate chances to fix that, and only now are they actually making definitive progress toward that goal. Also, what "vast majority" are you pretending exists here? The vast majority want canon Ganondorf. Very RARELY outside of Melee has anyone with any knowledge of the character in the Zelda series—with respect to his character in the games he's in—ever been A-OK with him like this. You are in such a puny minority that I'd say that people who agree with you make up less than 10% of the total fanbase. Heck, doing some quick check with the Poll on the "A Great Evil Walks the Earth" thread and it shows that the people who actually prefer his punching moves only account for 9% of the individuals who voted. If that is any indication of the larger fanbase then you are but one of a very small few who actually disagrees with literally everyone else that has an opinion on the matter.

And again, have you played the new game yet? How do you know his smashes suck? How do you know the canonized version of Ganondorf is less effective than his already really crappy current Smash self? Did you try the demo? Did you do extensive testing with his moves, which is something even the pro players had a hard time accomplishing despite having several hours-to-days of access to the demo? I highly doubt it.

The other 84% of people who like Ganondorf as a character want his sword attacks; absolute indisputable fact and objectionable truth. (The other 7% were unconcerned with it entirely). Outside of Ocarina of Time, Ganondorf has always used sword attacks. They even added it so that in Skyward Sword it was clear that Ganondorf is the incarnation of the hatred of a sword-wielding Demon King. His Final Smash is a form of him that uses swords. It's literally ingrained into his character, just as much as swords are ingrained to be a part of Link's character. Anyone who refuses to see this is in deep denial and cannot move on from an idea that was never true.

Your headcanon states that Ganondorf punches; your headcanon is wrong. Smash's version of Ganondorf is wrong. Giving him swords is literally the best thing they've ever done for him and his fanbase in the entirety of the Smash series other than adding him into the game.

Honestly this thread looks to be another bait thread just like the last one you made. It's clear you're doing nothing more than complaining about something only you and a handful of other people dislike and the vast majority are constantly asking for.

Last edited:

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Can I just mention how eerily hypocritical it seems, for someone to make a thread called "Please be happy with his Sword-smashes already!" , only to be posting a thread like this months later?

I mean I get that one can change his opinion over time, but it's not any better informed or backed by sound, logical arguments than usual either....

If I really felt like it, I could go through all of Ganons Sword based attacks in the Loz games and while not being or fitting one to one with those current sword smashes, (which yes are clearly pulled from Ike and Cloud, but those attacks in particular are nothing extremely iconic nor character specific to claim to be "stolen" nor being inspired from their games respectively!), I could find something pretty similair or close to it which would fulfil the same purpose.

At the very least one would have a far easier time justifying those swordsmashes than anything from his """"OG"""" mano a mano style created/repurposed from Smash/Cpt. Falcon.

I mean, try showing me any example of his melee moveset appearing in the past and subsequent titles! Flame choke and F-tilt were added bc of Twilight princess and the only unique move Ganon got to differentiate himself from Falcon, which was inspired by Oot, was his Fair; Skull crusher (based on the shockwave attack he starts the deadman's volley match with).

Everything else is as random and made up on the spot, as Cpt. Falcon's moveset is. (Though based on what we know from both of these chars from their Canon, this moveset makes more sense for Ganon than for Falcon ironically enough).

Look, personnaly I don't mind Ganon using a moveset, which he'd clearly be able to use, but would most likely be his last choice, given his preferred method of fighting in the Loz games and just gives the impression that he's underestimating his opponents in Smash and holding back. Hell, I've been introduced to Ganon through Melee, so as cheesy and over the top as the Falcondorf-set is, it will always have a special place in my heart.

But given how many changes we've seen to characters up til now, and how there's also the possibility of creating/featuring semi-clones and echo fighters, I don't see any reason why we can't just add another version of Ganon, which is more in line, with what the majority of Ganon-mains and fans wish and asked for.

Last edited:

BronzeGreekGod

Smash Lord
I partially agree with this. But for me, ganon either should have 2 movesets to choose from, or his old moveset should be handed over to black bull and he should have a new movset taken from oot. That way people who fiend his old moveset can use it, and ppl who want a fully decloned ganon can have that. This half assed attempt to give him his own feel is not making anyone happy. It's not at all what anyone wants.

I Like Link

Smash Rookie
I don't mind one bit, I find them more useful and that's what matters most. Front smash was always very punishable, so its slower startup and end-lag hardly make a difference. The increased range, intangibility, and especially the fact that it's a overhead swing that will catch people above and diagonal from you is going to help a lot. The ridiculously low end lag of up smash will be missed, but it was never reliable for actually hitting people because how slow it came out and how limited the hitbox was, I felt like it was mostly sheer luck. It's going to be much easier landing hits when he swings all around his body. His down smash is mostly just like his old down smash, except better in every way.

Ganondorf shouldn't be relying on Smash attacks for KOs in the first place, his extremely strong aerials and tilts are there for that. His new smash attacks are better suited for those situational 60-70% KOs.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
My only complaint is how bad the animations look. Hoping they fix those before the release.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Let's just try to remember that Ganondorf lacked any disjointed attacks before Smash Ultimate. Also, the new f-smash seems to cover more distance, while keeping Ganondorf's hurtboxes out of attack range.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think you overrate Fsmash's utility, TC. It was more of a take it or leave it move. The new smashes have more range which may allow him to capitalize better on Flame Choke follow ups and having disjointed moves is never a bad thing. The only real loss is Usmash's low end lag but that is a trade off for the new move's range. The new smashes may see more use than his older ones.

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
The thing that upsets me about his new Smash attacks is that the sword he uses literally only existed in a tech demo and a Melee victory pose.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It's not uncommon for characters to derive moves from other places outside of their game of origin and amalgamate them into their moveset. It happens a lot. And some times it goes full circle and said thing ends up being incorporated into the canon as well, like Dedede's Jet Hammer, Kirby's Smash moveset and Fox/Falco's visors and reflector gadgets.

Ganon has demonstrated capable swordsmanship in several games so his OoT incarnation pulling out a sword is not unreasonable by any means. I don't need to see the man use a sword in Ocarina of Time to know he can use one, just like I don't need to see Dwayne Johnson going to the gym to know that he works out.

kro_

Smash Apprentice
What is it about them that's bad?
The very first thing I noticed is that the sword on his fsmash doesn't even slam into the ground, it stops before it hits the ground. Cloud's dsmash looked weird enough already, but looks even more awkward on Ganondorf.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
The very first thing I noticed is that the sword on his fsmash doesn't even slam into the ground, it stops before it hits the ground. Cloud's dsmash looked weird enough already, but looks even more awkward on Ganondorf.
How is that a bad thing? Swords aren't hammers, they aren't meant to be slammed into the ground. *Looks at :ultike:*

I also disagree on the "awkwardness" of the dsmash. It looks perfectly fine to me.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
It is true that the sword stops before hitting the ground but I have no issue with it. Also I don't see what is so awkward about Cloud's Dsmash and how it somehow looks worse on Ganon. Like really, I don't even understand what that means.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Looks weird based on what criteria? Compared with the rest of the typical Smash style/kind of animation cycles and aesthetic for moves in general? Or awkward from an actual swordmanship/martial arts perspective?

If it's the former, yeah I can see what you mean, his moves don't look nearly as impactful and over the top, like most attacks in Smash do in general.
Given that you seem to have no issue whatsoever with U-smash, a motion you would never see in traditional swordcombat, I guess that's what seems to put you off. If you were to analyse most moves from a martial arts perspective, you would notice that hardly any of them are practically sound. While a lot of moves are clearly just plain ridiculous cartoon stunts (Bayo and MK moveset in gerneral e.g.), even ones which are technically possible to perform with human anatomy are way too commital, overextended and most of all risky. The weirdest thing in my opinion is what airials get Auto cancel frames and which ones don't. For example, you would think that Dair and Fair based on the normal landing animation would net you hardly any lag at all, while Nair, Bair and Uair would cause a lot of lag. It's the opposite however.

Ofc this mostly has do to with balancing and creating more visual flair/spectacle and such (much like anime), but I thought to just point it out regardless despite seeming obv.

On a side note, as subdued and lackluster as Ganon's swordsmashes might seem to appear at first, from a Meta perspective, they look pretty promising. The damage and frame data, compared to Sm4sh Ike's counterpart, is already looking way better, so if everyone's favourite mercenary leader could get any sort of mileage out of U- and F-smash, I'm sure Ganon will too.

As for D-smash, the only really weird part I will concede about both his and Cloud's, is that it makes no sense, how a plausible and feasibly fast pommel to stab combo (not to mention that Ganon sword has no pointy end/bit) could manage to hit the same opponent with both hits. Toon links D-smash makes way more logical sense in that regard, as he could hook and swipe his enemy with the first hit. From a game play perspective, the only thing Ganon seems to have taken from Cloud, was the animation, but the damage and frame data seems to be the same as Ganon's old D-smash, except for featuring better range and more consistent hitbox properties now, which despite being slower than Cloud's counterpart, should still make it a overall better move.

Last edited:

Volksdragen

Smash Rookie
The thing that upsets me about his new Smash attacks is that the sword he uses literally only existed in a tech demo and a Melee victory pose.
While Ganondorf himself never wields this particular sword in a LoZ game, it's design is very similar to the swords used by Darknuts in Twilight Princess.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's not uncommon for characters to derive moves from other places outside of their game of origin and amalgamate them into their moveset. It happens a lot. And some times it goes full circle and said thing ends up being incorporated into the canon as well, like Dedede's Jet Hammer, Kirby's Smash moveset and Fox/Falco's visors and reflector gadgets.

Ganon has demonstrated capable swordsmanship in several games so his OoT incarnation pulling out a sword is not unreasonable by any means. I don't need to see the man use a sword in Ocarina of Time to know he can use one, just like I don't need to see Dwayne Johnson going to the gym to know that he works out.
Just popping by here to add that Ganondorf does use swords in Ocarina of Time. As Ganon, as we can see in the Final Smash this time around too, but if he can use two huge swords as a beast, he most definitely would be capable of doing the same in humanoid form.

And let's not forget that Ganondorf in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess is the same Ganondorf as Ocarina of Time. Just because he has different designs in each game doesn't mean he's a different character because the games themselves clearly imply that, while Link and Zelda are different incarnations, Ganondorf is very much the same incarnation of the character.

As a result, if Ganondorf is shown to be able to use swords in combat in both The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, then he'd be able to use them in Ocarina of Time.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Just popping by here to add that Ganondorf does use swords in Ocarina of Time. As Ganon, as we can see in the Final Smash this time around too, but if he can use two huge swords as a beast, he most definitely would be capable of doing the same in humanoid form.

And let's not forget that Ganondorf in The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess is the same Ganondorf as Ocarina of Time. Just because he has different designs in each game doesn't mean he's a different character because the games themselves clearly imply that, while Link and Zelda are different incarnations, Ganondorf is very much the same incarnation of the character.

As a result, if Ganondorf is shown to be able to use swords in combat in both The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, then he'd be able to use them in Ocarina of Time.
Just something for the record, I don't understand people who are so anal about this kind of representation anyway. In their eyes, if they don't see Ganondorf swinging a sword = He can't use one. If he doesn't kick you = He can't kick. Because logic.
Smash needs to take some liberties, because a moveset also needs to be functional.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Just something for the record, I don't understand people who are so anal about this kind of representation anyway. In their eyes, if they don't see Ganondorf swinging a sword = He can't use one. If he doesn't kick you = He can't kick. Because logic.
Smash needs to take some liberties, because a moveset also needs to be functional.
I agree. Smash has always taken liberties with characters, in some cases more than others.

Ganondorf is very much an outlier in how his moveset was conceived due to the circumstances of his addition in Melee.

It's not like he's not completely devoid of inspiration from the Zelda series, but rather, since they had to work with Captain Falcon's moveset and animations, it was more of a matter of how could they take Falcon's moveset and make it fit Ganondorf as close as possible within his characterization from the source material, hence why they made him a heavyweight slower but more powerful version of Falcon.

The agility got traded for raw power, the flame attacks replaced with darkness alluding to the fact he has dark magic powers. As a comment earlier in this thread put it, Ganondorf's moveset actually draws more from source material than Falcon's does since Captain Falcon basically is just one of many characters in a racing game and, aside from the Final Smash involving the Blue Falcon and more vaguely his focus on speed, there isn't much that Captain Falcon draws from his games.

Meanwhile, clone moveset aside, Ganondorf does showcase his tremendous strength, proficiency with dark magic, and now in Ultimate, his proficiency with a sword. Ever since the introduction of Final Smashes, he's always shown his ability to transform into Ganon just like his games. And starting with Brawl, the Flame Choke side special is a move that fits Ganondorf perfectly and I wouldn't imagine any other character in the Smash roster doing something like that.

So, there is a lot of things done right with Ganondorf in Smash and both the changes he got in Brawl and Ultimate were good steps into making him feel more true to his source material with the introduction of the Ganon Final Smash, the Flame Choke side special and now the sword Smash attacks, as well as the animation work overall that made him feel more distinct from Falcon. It's just that there's still more that can be done in order to make him feel even closer to source material but I can see why they don't want to overhaul him completely as it's something that has never been done with any returning character in Smash. Even Link who got a fair amount of changes in Ultimate to reflect his Breath of the Wild incarnation still feels familiar to a large extent.

At this point, I can't help but think that parts of the Smash portrayal have become a part of his character as even in Hyrule Warriors where he mainly uses swords, the trident and various kinds of magic, they still incorporated a wide array of hand to hand moves backed by magic similar to those in Smash, even having the Warlock Punch itself.

All in all, I think that we can all agree that Ultimate's version of Ganondorf is his best Smash Bros. incarnation so far. One small change I also really appreciate is the change in Dark Dive so Ganondorf causes a burst of dark magic as opposed to a generic explosion. Now, it feels like he's actually using dark magic.

RCyclone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rcyclone
3DS FC
0490-7017-9432
Switch FC
3291-1218-6623
I'm all for this current iteration of Ganondorf, since Sakurai seems to be making small iterations in each smash game, I'm thinking that he doesn't want to alienate fans of his move-set, but he is looking to slowly make him his own character instead of a Falcon clone like he was in melee.

Which gives me hope that one day we will have dead man's volley on him, a teleport recovery, and a Useful Up Tilt... (I don't like that move, it breaks the function of what a Up Tilt Should do.)

Or we could get Ganon as his own character someday.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
This thread has me thinking, I hope one day they could include Toon Ganondorf with his dual-wielding swords.

thespoiler

Smash Cadet
Yeah, keep dreaming.
Now, Im sure most people never thought we’d have three links, so anything is possible.. would be a great way to have a unique Ganondorf without getting rid of the Falcondorf we are so used to..

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Dude I've gotten great results with his smashes so far, Heck I took him to 4th at a local nearby just Friday (got knocked out by my training partner haha, wolf sucks man). and I've seen some weird interactions with other moves in friendlies. I kinda want to see the hurtboxs for his smashes especially his f-smash as something feels off about it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Fsmash seems to not hit as well above him. It seems where his sword should hit someone up there it doesn’t.

It would have too good of range if it hit there.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Fsmash seems to not hit as well above him. It seems where his sword should hit someone up there it doesn’t.

It would have too good of range if it hit there.
It's amazing that F-smash even hits above him at all, and at the same damage and knockback.

Top Bottom