• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganondorf Community Ultimate Tier List (Updated every month)

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
Taken from inspiration of the Brawl and Smash 4 tier lists.

How it works:
Players are ranked by priorities of five.

Firstly, they are placed on the tier list in accordance to their tournament placings at S, A, B and C tier events respectively. For more information on what determines the tier rankings of tournaments please refer to the citings below.

Then, we determine the percentage of their use of Ganondorf in their played tournaments. For example, if a player uses Ganondorf 8 out of 10 matches then he or she has used Ganondorf 80% out of 100%. A player must use Ganondorf at minimum of 70% out of 100% (disqualifications and not completing a tournament 100% would block that specific tournament from being used to determine a ranking of a player) to be ranked in accordance to these priorities. A player would be barred of a tournament ranking if they have used Ganondorf below 70%. As you can see, solo Ganondorfs are given priority. Also, since sets consists of best of threes and fives, using Ganondorf at least once in the former and at least twice in the latter would be considered a use of Ganondorf in that set.

Next, we will take a look at the PGR wins. Previously, this was similar to 'notable wins', but we will only consider the top 50 PGR players as notables in these rankings. You must defeat a notable player in a set for it to be considered a defeat.

Following that, we will gap a Ganondorf by their skill level. A Ganondorf's skill level is something that is generally agreed upon in the community. A skill level ranking would be very minimal though since the priorities above would outshadow it as they are a determination of skill levels themselves. As of now this priority is generally a place holder.

Finally, Ganondorf players ranked in the King of Evil and S tier categories will have a "four month inactivity period". If the King of Evil and S tier Ganondorfs haven't been to a minimum of at least one event in four months then he or she will be removed from the King of Evil and S tier rankings. Anyone ranked below are unaffected by this ruling, but instead will have a one year inactivity period in which they will be removed from the tier list entirely.

Citings:​
How Tiered Tournaments are Determined

Smash Data

(More citings to be posted as this thread develops).

Other Rulings:
1.) Retired Ganondorfs will lose their rankings (if any) along with all other ranked information and placed below in the special rankings category.

2.) If you wish to be ranked but have no information in regards to the priorities then you will have to mention your gamertag below and you will be put as D tier.

3.) Ganondorf players with wins off of a PGR ranked player will not have their wins revoked with a time period, nor if the PGR player is no longer ranked in the future. However, all players will be effected by the "inactivity periods" mentioned above.

4.) The tiered rankings are determined as follows;

The King of Evil: Must have three or more PGR wins off of three (or more) different PGR players at a S, A, B or C tiered event. If two or more Ganondorf have achieved this, then, whoever has better wins will take priority. If that too is tied among different Ganondorfs, then, whoever has the better results at S, A, B and C tiered events will claim this tier.

S Tier: This position is determined by a) different PGR wins of up to two b) placings at, in order, S and A tiered events.

A Tier: This position is determined by a) placings at, in order, B and C tiered events b) skill levels.

B Tier: Must make it out of pool as solo Ganondorf at S, A, B and C tiered events.

C Tier: Must attend tournaments as solo Ganondorf at S, A, B and C tiered events.

D tier: Must use Ganondorf at S, A, B, and C tiered events. You can use Ganondorf in just one tournament and be ranked as D Tier but you must use him with the priorities in mind.

The 70% rule and the inactivity rule will be applied to all these tiers except for D Tier.

5.) An easy way to find most of your data is through this page: https://smashdata.gg/smash/ultimate/player/ Write down your name in the search bar and click on the "PGR" icon.

The tier list rankings:

KING OF EVIL
???

S Tier (Supreme Sovereigns)
Rickles (PGR Win: Mr. E)
Litany
Van
Ray Kalm
ParagonX9
Luz

A Tier (Ascended Overlords)

B Tier (Brutal Commanders)
Sorool

C Tier (Chaotic Legions)
Koskinator

D tier (Darknuts)

Nairo (PGR Win: Light)
Smokk
Gungnir
Naroghin
Big Black
Ganondork
Failnaught Star

Note: There are a few high skilled Ganondorfs in C and D tier because they have been either a.) not been a solo Ganon main (see above) b.) been inactive for some time or c.) do not have the results.

Best In:
Best in Japan; Luz
Best in Europe; ParagonX9
Best in Australia;
Best in Canada; Litany
Best in the USA; Rickles
Best in the World: Rickles

Special Rankings:
Retirees, letting go of their evil ways; Vermanubis
Best base for the Throne; Canada (Ganada)
Longest on the Throne; Rickles (0 Months)
Traitordorfs; Adom, Opana

Inactive;
Best techchaser;

One Video of Every S Tier and the KOE:

Last edited:

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
A discussion with a list of names of Ganondorf players along with their achievements in regards to the priorities would be encouraged.

You can bring your thoughts into the Ganondorf Ultimate Discord channel too: join via this link https://smashcords.com/smash-5

EDIT: PLEASE IGNORE THE REFERENCES TO NOTABLES OTHER THAN PGRS BELOW AS THIS THREAD HAS BEEN UPDATED.

Last edited:

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
It's interesting to see this project revived (even though there was/is a lot of contention regarding it). I see it's been made just a few hours ago so I'm guessing it's still a work-in-progress. My preliminary comments:
  • Gungnir shouldn't necessarily be on the list at the moment, given to my knowledge he has only one tournament placement at all (97th/1015 at Umebura Japan Major 2019) where he was actually outplaced by a fellow Ganon, Luz (who got 65th/1015, respectively).
    • Tangentially I'd probably put Luz somewhere in S-tier given they're typically cited as the best Japanese Ganon currently (they have other notable placements such as 65th/517 at Umebura SP4).
  • Kalm is very good, but currently he lacks notable placements as well (or placements in general, given his general inactivity with the game). If the whole "skill level" clause supercedes that then there's no problem, though.
  • Even though Verm's said he's "retired", I don't actually think his attendance has dropped significantly since he still attends his local tournaments and also attended Fall Brawl 2019 in October.
I'll bring this to other Ganons, since I've always been appreciative of this project in the past and I think this type of thing to be a good motivator for members of the community.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
It's interesting to see this project revived (even though there was/is a lot of contention regarding it). I see it's been made just a few hours ago so I'm guessing it's still a work-in-progress. My preliminary comments:
Yup, I was looking forward to this for a some time now. The S tier rankings right now are just place holders until I put out official rankings with
updates along the way.

Gungnir shouldn't necessarily be on the list at the moment, given to my knowledge he has only one tournament placement at all (97th/1015 at Umebura Japan Major 2019) where he was actually outplaced by a fellow Ganon, Luz (who got 65th/1015, respectively).
Tangentially I'd probably put Luz somewhere in S-tier given they're typically cited as the best Japanese Ganon currently (they have other notable placements such as 65th/517 at Umebura SP4).
Was that the only event they have attended since then? Japan Umbera in 2019 was in May which is over the 4 month inactivity period for S and KOE tiers. Umbera Sp4 in August. I want to keep this up to date so those who end up being inactive will be removed. However there is no one ranked in S or KOE as of yet so no one will be affected by this and instead have the "1 year inactivity" clause used.

I will have to dig in to gain more information on the PGR and respective regions #1-10s defeats those two may have had. But for now I will go ahead and rank Luz in high S and Gungnir in high A by factoring in their skill level as well.

Kalm is very good, but currently he lacks notable placements as well (or placements in general, given his general inactivity with the game). If the whole "skill level" clause supercedes that then there's no problem, though.
Noted. Are you aware of any 'notables' (defintion in the opening) he may have beaten? For now I will rank him in A tier.

Even though Verm's said he's "retired", I don't actually think his attendance has dropped significantly since he still attends his local tournaments and also attended Fall Brawl 2019 in October.

I'll bring this to other Ganons, since I've always been appreciative of this project in the past and I think this type of thing to be a good motivator for members of the community.
That would be greatly appreciated. If you can also bring Koskinator and any other Ganons you can get your hands on here, it would be nice if they could share their current positions.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Not only am I glad this is back, but I'm impressed at the objectivity and balance that's gone into the rankings. I'll be sure to spread this around as well.

As a show of support for the project I would like to be added onto the list. I've comained Ganon since melee and solo'd since late Brawl. I don't have any results (I coach and TO at a new highschool league and that's about all I have time for atm) so just throw me into D tier.

If skills alone can allow one to "test" into C tier, how would we facilitate that? If not, that's fine.

Koskinator

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3308-4564-8881
5th/177 and 17th/100ish? are my placements but in all honesty I think the tier list is a bad idea and will cause more of a headache for the owner of the list than anything, good luck lol

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
I'll be keeping notes of your posts and updating as they come in. Please also give a list of the 'notables' you may have defeated. Notables refer to PGR wins and the #1-#5s in any region.

Last edited:

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Just a point of clarification: so any tournament below 200 entrants is simply not counted?

I just want to make sure so I don't roll up in here with local results like some kind of fool if they don't mean anything.

Last edited:

Litany

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brushfire11
Switch FC
SW-6201-5293-0444
I realize I haven't actually given anything in regards to myself, so I'll link my page here as a more comprehensive list of my results (and this website is useful in general for data tracking as it automatically adds tournaments from smash.gg): https://smashdata.gg/smash/ultimate/player/Litany

Presuming "any region" means that I'm not limited to regions I'm actually in, for notable wins I've taken sets off of Aerious (#3 in Ottawa), Stas (#4 in Ontario), Steve from Accounting (#1 in Durham/#7 in Ontario), Blanc (#1 in Kitchener-Waterloo/#12 in Ontario), DoctorKayh (#1 in Sudbury), Jandell (#2 in York Region), Smokk (#2 in Montreal), Z (#5 in Montreal).

On another note, I believe Smokk should probably be S-tier even though he doesn't solo-main Ganon, given he's effectively #1 in Montreal now. That being said, I can't off the top of my head cite notable wins he has with Ganon specifically, so I guess that's still to be determined.

WhatIsRaizen?

Smash Ace
I realize I haven't actually given anything in regards to myself, so I'll link my page here as a more comprehensive list of my results (and this website is useful in general for data tracking as it automatically adds tournaments from smash.gg): https://smashdata.gg/smash/ultimate/player/Litany

Presuming "any region" means that I'm not limited to regions I'm actually in, for notable wins I've taken sets off of Aerious (#3 in Ottawa), Stas (#4 in Ontario), Steve from Accounting (#1 in Durham/#7 in Ontario), Blanc (#1 in Kitchener-Waterloo/#12 in Ontario), DoctorKayh (#1 in Sudbury), Jandell (#2 in York Region), Smokk (#2 in Montreal), Z (#5 in Montreal).

On another note, I believe Smokk should probably be S-tier even though he doesn't solo-main Ganon, given he's effectively #1 in Montreal now. That being said, I can't off the top of my head cite notable wins he has with Ganon specifically, so I guess that's still to be determined.

Just a point of clarification: so any tournament below 200 entrants is simply not counted?

I just want to make sure so I don't roll up in here with local results like some kind of fool if they don't mean anything.
Yes, any regions. Just a note, notables wins are counted even if the tournament wasn't a C tier or higher event, I will add that in the opening page. However, if you have no notable wins in a tournament that wasn't C tier or higher, then that tournament will not be counter. And although the #6s-10s are not notables in these rankings, they are still a criteria for B tier, so go ahead and posts those results (but what I mentioned just now applies to those wins as well). C tiers doesn't necessarily mean 200. Last season it was below 200 for the PGR, but this summer season it is above 200. For example the Amuka Smash cup attended by Litany had 174 people and it was a C tier last PGR season.

With all that said, I am strictly keeping to the rules, and objectivity of the rankings. Smokk for now will not be added to S nor A tier since from my own inquiry he does not solo main Ganondorf at least to a minimum of 70% in any C tier or higher event. He does have some wins off of notables, and #6-#10s with Ganondorf in events which are below C tier, so he has the fit for B tier.

Thanks for submitting your Smashdata.gg, I'd request all others to submit something similar to that.

Last edited:

Failnaught Star

Smash Rookie
I think Rickles does have a Light win, but it's the German Palu Light, not the PGR Light... Also, I think he has a win on Mr. E?

On another topic, could I be added to the tier list? I don't have any results right now, so just put me in D-tier I think.

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Ganondorf has been getting a lot of flack from players and pros alike. Why does this matter about Ganondorf if he's still going to become bottom tier for the third game in a row?

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Ganondorf has been getting a lot of flack from players and pros alike. Why does this matter about Ganondorf if he's still going to become bottom tier for the third game in a row?
Ganon's a midtier at best, but far from a bottom tier character. His kit is fairly straight forward and in the meta of characters commonly used at a competitive level, having a large character that's slow, predictable, and has an awful recovery isn't exactly going to do you any favors. He's always going to be a niche pick, and that's okay.

Granted, that shouldn't stop you from playing Ganon if you find the playstyle fun. 9 times out of ten, you'll do better with a character you enjoy playing than one you hate.

Top Bottom