• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ganon Average Kill Percent Project

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Intro:
This is a spreadsheet I've been working on for a few weeks, detailing kill (and unkill) percents for 19 notable Ganondorf mains across multiple countries and regions. The original idea was to dispel the silly idea that Ganon's average kill percent is <80 or even 80-100 (results from a twitter poll that MGK posted a while back). I've also added the character and the stage the kill was on, and have built the list so that games can be seen and counted. Sets are easy to discern as well, but I didn't count those as some players switch to or from Ganondorf midset. I've frozen the totals on the left so they can be compared side-by-side with individual data.

Data and Trends:
-Only 1v1 games from tournament brackets were analyzed (no wifi, no friendlies, no doubles, no FFAs), with the following priorities: later bracket, higher level tournaments, variety of opponents, and variety of events.
-Kill percents were recorded at the percent prior to the stock-taking move.
-Percent that opponents ended a game with when Ganon lost are recorded as "UnKill" percents.
-Tournament, opponent, and round (if applicable) were recorded for reference.

Beyond the obvious things like light characters dying early and everyone dying late on big stages, I have also noticed while analyzing these sets that most averages start pretty low and then slowly rise. This is because I usually analyze one tournament at a time going from R1 to GF, and Ganon's utility diminishes as he faces better and better opponents. What usually nets him a kill early on won't work on better players, and his only reliable moves don't kill till much later (also by GF players figure out how to tech, parry, and rockcrock, which has a huge effect).

Median kill percents are generally higher than average kill percents, which point to the reason many people believe he kills much earlier. Basically, Ganondorf kills at reasonable percents for most of a set, but then he can achieve a Ganoncide at 0% (and early in the tournament they don't know to mash so it works) or a sub-10% dair spike. Another way to see it is that unreliable, situational, opponent dependent kills are skewing how people view Ganon's typical kill percentage. Everyone remembers the hype double-dair spike at 0% but no one remembers Ganon floundering around poking with jabs and dtilts until his opponent dies of old age.

The column for "unKill" percents was intended to show times when Ganon was simply unable to kill his opponent because he couldn't close out the stock at early enough percents. in other words, I tried to find a way to look at times where Ganon could have won or closed out a stock if he actually could kill early and include it in the data. The problem with this is that there are just as many instances of opponents finishing the match at very low percents. Thus, the average for this is low but the data is still there so players can see what happened in a set.

There seems to be an inverse relationship between the percent average a Ganon kills at and how well they typically do vs good opponents (or how far they get in bracket). This is partially to do with the above sentiment regarding killing lower players earlier, but it also points to the ability of better Ganons to close out stocks and play a patient game, outlasting their opponents and killing with safe moves.

SDs have presented a unique problem for data collection because they bring up the idea of killing without landing a hit (situations where they lure the opponent out too far and they die, or escaping a suicide and causing the opponent to die) and tend to spoil a good stock (opponent randomly dies while at a high% so it can't be counted towards the average). Generally:
-if an SD is random and not the result of luring, escaping, or fear, it is not counted
-if an opponent is hit offstage and should be able to recover but can't, it is counted as a kill, but at the percent prior to the hit that sent them offstage
-Opponent suicide moves are not counted

Discussion:
Are there any other trends anyone is noticing?
Are there notable Ganons that I'm missing? I must admit I am largely ignorant of Ganondorf mains outside the US and Canada.
Should Thug Finals be included where applicable?
General thoughts?
Any Questions?

EDIT: I am planning on alphabetizing the Ganondorf mains eventually. I haven't gotten to it yet because it needs to be done manually since each column contains multiple other columns. Just fyi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom