• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gaming Monitor = Playable?

Does an HD gaming monitor work work with melee?

• No, not at all. There is always lag if you are not using a CRT.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Yes, it is lagless with an Wii & HDMI adapter.

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • It does not work well with a Wii, but dolphin should work fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fang_

Smash Rookie
NNID
thunderbolt73
3DS FC
4442-2087-4835
I have been working with a regular 2006 Wii and CRT setup for a while now, but I find the CRT rather annoying. The display is obviously sub-par and my particular CRT makes an annoying screeching noise. It is quiet, so I tone it out after a while, but it is still annoying. So I am wondering if a gaming monitor would solve my problem, while still being low enough input lag for good practice.

I have selected the LG 24MP48HQ-P from displaylag.com as the least expensive monitor with minimal lag time. Does anyone have experience playing melee on an HD monitor?

Of course, I would buy an HDMI adapter for the Wii. My concern is that the conversion process from analog to digital would create input lag. If the problem is the Wii, I do have a mayflash adapter that I could use with dolphin. If this doesn't improve lag then I wont worry about it, but honestly I am just really not liking playing on such a low quality display.

Of course, I suck either way, but I don't want to be going and spending an unnecessary $130.

MKarma

Smash Cadet
Not sure about connecting a wii with hdmi but with the monitor you selected and the faster melee dolphin builds you should be able to get even less input lag than on CRT.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Keep in mind that you don't actually want less input lag than a CRT, because your timings will be off from the tournament standard (although it'll actually feel better than console/CRT unlike a setup with more lag, but what are you gonna do). The lower input lag is useful because it compensates for network lag when netplaying, reducing the overall lag for a given amount of network lag. Also, even if you add buffer to make the input lag the same, Faster Melee works by changing the way input polling works, so things will still be a little different (in a way you won't be able to compensate for like with a static difference in lag). The audio also lags relative to the video substantially more than it does on console, so as well as sounding wrong your auditory reactions (important for things like Spacie side-Bs) will be worse. If you have a console it's best just to play on console.

With the right converter you can get lag substantially under 1 frame, to the point you probably won't notice it and your play won't be significantly affected. The converter I always hear being recommended is the Sewell Wii to HDMI converter, though there are others. Be careful that there are no post-processing settings enabled on the monitor (which add lag), and that all the other settings are configured correctly so the image doesn't look like blurry pixellated garbage.

Also all CRTs make a noise like that (at the frequency of the refresh rate multiplied by the number of scan lines), although it's only audible below a certain refresh rate/number of lines, and the volume varies between devices (depending on the model and condition). 60Hz CRTs produce a frequency of 15,734 Hz (29.97x525), which is audible to many people, though rendered inaudible with natural hearing degradation from age (or some other hearing damage).

Last edited:

Fang_

Smash Rookie
NNID
thunderbolt73
3DS FC
4442-2087-4835
Just found SSBM Tutorials "Complete Beginner" video, and he recommends the same method with the Sewell converter. Sounds like a plan! Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom